PDA

View Full Version : NFL Films: America's Game

Lurker64
06-26-2011, 01:21 AM
In 2006, NFL Films started a series titled "America's Game" about the seasons of each of the Super Bowl Champions. So far they've done 44 episodes (and 5 "Missing Rings" episodes about teams who didn't win, but easily could have, or should have), and coming up it's our turn. The episode will presumably premiere this September, but the Lockout could potentially complicate things) but the last four episodes commemorating the most recent champion have premiered the week of the season opener.

The interesting thing is the format. It weaves together game footage, videotape, audio clips, and interviews for an hour long documentary. In 2/49 episodes three people associated with the team (coaches, players, and staff) in question have been interviewed (twice there were four). In terms of multiple superbowl winners, players are generally not interviewed twice for the series no matter how many superbowls they won (two exceptions Bill Curry (66' Packers, 70' Colts) and Joe Green (74' Steelers and 78' Steelers)).

So assume that you're NFL films. Given the storylines for last season, the fact that you may have to do another episode on this team in the next several years, and that whoever you interview for this episode you will not interview for future episodes, but then again there's no guarantee any of these guys will be back... which three Packers do you pick for the episode?

(an example of how this gets complicated: Patriots won in 2001 (Tom Brady, Lawyer Milloy and Adam Vinatieri were featured), 2003 (Charlie Weis, Rodney Harrison, and Willie McGinest were featured), and 2004 (Troy Brown, Tedy Bruschi, and Bill Belichick were featured).)

My pick? You get one of the august veterans who won their first ring (Woodson or Driver), one of the young marketable stars (Matthews or Rodgers), and a Coach (to speak on the remarkable ability of this team to overcome hardship).

So I'd probably pick Woodson (unquestioned team leader, this meant as much to him as anybody, injured in the superbowl), Rodgers (young stud QB, you get to tell the "escaping from the Favre shadow" story and highlight the thing about concussions), and Coach McCarthy.

My second picks would be Driver, Matthews, and Capers though.

(For reference the previous sets of Packers featured in the series:
1966: Bill Curry, Willie Davis, and Bart Starr
1967: Chuck Mercein, Dave Robinson, and Jerry Kramer
1996: Brett Favre, Mike Holmgren and Desmond Howard
(The 66 and 67 episodes were aired in 2006 and 2007 so only players and coaches who were alive at the time were available to be interviewed.))

KYPack
06-26-2011, 08:27 AM
I can't wait for that one. There is other criteria for being one of the featured guys on that . I think Greg Jennings will get picked because he works with the NFL Films quite a bit. Another criteria is guys who have a story they can tell and they work well on camera. They also look for guys who are available. Mike Wagner got on there and kept going on about how great a player he was and how he really wasn't the weak link in the Steel Curtain, etc.

There are so may stories from 2010, NFL Films really can't go wrong. I'd love to see Kevin Greene on that show.

Gunakor
06-26-2011, 10:39 AM
Rodgers was the MVP, so I think he'd get the first spot. I really don't know how they could do an episode of America's Game on this year's Packers and not have Rodgers as the lead guy.

I do agree you need to have one of the veterans included, and since Rodgers wins the first spot having won MVP I think you gotta give the nod to Woodson for the second spot. No disrespect to Donald Driver, but if one were to ask me, Charles Woodson is the veteran leader of that team. My evidence of that is engraved on the inside of their Super Bowl rings. Plus you'd have a superstar on both sides of the ball.

If they give the 3rd spot to a coach it's gotta be Capers. Capers is the most experienced coach on staff, so he'd likely be able to tell the story better than any of the other coaches. That, and McCarthy is a freaking robot in front of the cameras.

However, I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they gave a spot to Matthews or Raji. Both of those guys are highly entertaining in front of a microphone.

Tarlam!
06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Good topic. Rodgers, Chuck and Capers get my vote, too. Similar reasons, MVP, Woodson emotions at the half, but Capers, more for the last defensive series and what he was thinking. He'd been in that position once before and lost. This time, he won. I'd like to hear him talk about that. And also how he had to compensate when he lost Chuck and Shields.

Guiness
06-27-2011, 05:19 AM
Another vet to give consideration to would be Clifton.

However, I agree that the it will likely be Woodson because he seemed to have such a profound effect and be an unquestioned leader. During the SB pre-game show, they were doing a 'road to the Super Bowl' thing, and it was always Woodson leading the cheers in the locker room.

Who were the 'missing rings'?
A couple of my guesses would be:
-a Bills team from their 4 straight losses, likely the Norwood missed field goal?
-one of Minnesota's losses
-Miami's SB loss with Marino
-88 Bengals
-??

Lurker, what did you mean by this?

In 2/49 episodes

retailguy
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
How about the early 2000's Philadelphia Eagles?

Lurker64
06-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Lurker, what did you mean by this?

There have been 49 episodes of "America's Game": One for each of the first 44 superbowl champions, and 5 "Missing Rings" episodes. Only twice has the complement of people interviewed swelled up to 4 people. Forty seven times there have been only three people interviewed, so I'm assuming we get three.

(The "Missing Rings" episodes were: 81 Chargers, 69 Vikings, 90 Bills, 88 Bengals, 98 Vikings)

Joemailman
06-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Surprised they haven't done a "Missing Ring" for the 2007 Patriots.

Lurker64
06-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Surprised they haven't done a "Missing Ring" for the 2007 Patriots.

They will eventually, it's probably just too close for comfort right now. Wait ten years or so and there'll be one.

People are much more excited to talk to you about a superbowl they just won, than a superbowl they just lost.

mraynrand
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd pick Driver, Rodgers and Greene. Green could get another gig any moment (D-coordinator or even directly to HC like Andy Reid). Driver may not make the cut or make it through next season. Rodgers was the reason this team won. He was perfect. NFLN will choose guys who have personality to tell the story. Driver and Greene have that in spades... Hopefully guys like Jennings and Matthews will be around for years to come and can narrate future specials. Other notables who might be fun to interview would be of course Woodson "1,2,3 White House!" Clifton, Edgar Bennett, and Stubby. Dom Capers shouldn't be allowed to speak on camera again - ever.

Guiness
06-27-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd pick Driver, Rodgers and Greene. Green could get another gig any moment (D-coordinator or even directly to HC like Andy Reid). Driver may not make the cut or make it through next season. Rodgers was the reason this team won. He was perfect. NFLN will choose guys who have personality to tell the story. Driver and Greene have that in spades... Hopefully guys like Jennings and Matthews will be around for years to come and can narrate future specials. Other notables who might be fun to interview would be of course Woodson "1,2,3 White House!" Clifton, Edgar Bennett, and Stubby. Dom Capers shouldn't be allowed to speak on camera again - ever.

'Future specials'? That's some kind of counting the chickens before they're hatched. We all felt that way in '96 after a year with the top rated O and D, but that didn't work out. We all think we'll win a few more, but truth is, this is all we've got right now, so you get the best/most deserving.

I like your choices, but do think it will be Woodson instead of Driver. I like Driver a lot, a dedicated life long Packer, but Woodson has had an incredible impact, has a great football related story to tell in his escape from Oak-beria. Greene's a great choice. Why do I think he'd do a Hulk Hogan-like interview?

mraynrand
06-28-2011, 09:08 AM
'Future specials'? That's some kind of counting the chickens before they're hatched.

I always count my bones before they are buried...hey waiddasecond......:oops:

Patler
06-28-2011, 10:57 AM
Capers would make a great story. 25 years in the NFL, 8 teams, top level d-coordinator and assistant coach, former head coach with successes and failures, finally got to the Super Bowl for the first time in his long career. Clearly he was a huge part of this one too, playing without 2 of his top 3 corners for most of the game, after having already lost three opening day starters and countless backups to IR during the season.

mraynrand
06-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Capers would make a great story. 25 years in the NFL, 8 teams, top level d-coordinator and assistant coach, former head coach with successes and failures, finally got to the Super Bowl for the first time in his long career. Clearly he was a huge part of this one too, playing without 2 of his top 3 corners for most of the game, after having already lost three opening day starters and countless backups to IR during the season.

Yes, he would make a great story - just so long as he never gets on camera to tell it.

http://snoringdoctors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/1307922908-24.jpg

channtheman
06-28-2011, 12:50 PM
Definitely Rodgers and Woodson for the first two. Then since Capers is apparently so boring on camera, and MM just sounds dumb when he talks, I would take Kevin Greene as the coach. Or maybe Slocum.