PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is this?

Rastak
08-12-2006, 08:06 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=482701

By the way, offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski wasn't sure whether Favre would start all four exhibition games or Aaron Rodgers might get a start.

"That will be up to Ted," Jagodzinski said.

WHAT? Ted names the starters?

woodbuck27
08-12-2006, 08:11 AM

By the way, offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski wasn't sure whether Favre would start all four exhibition games or Aaron Rodgers might get a start.

Ted Thompson (or his boss's) run the show in Green Bay. That has been obvious to me since he arrived.

I'll have the Wolves snapping at my heals for that observation. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

Scott Campbell
08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
Somebody's got some splainin to do.

I think the media should hound them mercilessly about this, and shame them out of the practice. If it's really happening that is.

chewy-bacca
08-12-2006, 09:02 AM

I found it weird too. :?

GBRulz
08-12-2006, 09:05 AM
TT would probably be the ideal micro manager in the corporate business world

Rastak
08-12-2006, 09:07 AM
TT would probably be the ideal micro manager in the corporate business world

No kidding....what the heck is McCarthy's role? Potential scapegoat?

Maybe he was interfering with Sherman last year. That was the rumor.

Scott Campbell
08-12-2006, 09:09 AM
No kidding....what the heck is McCarthy's role? Potential scapegoat?

Maybe he was interfering with Sherman last year. That was the rumor.

That's why the media needs to keep on this. Make them confirm or deny it, so we can put it behind us.

Patler
08-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Who makes the personnel decisions? - Ted Thompson.
Who picks the final roster? - Ted Thompson
Who decides what positions to fortify with a trade or signing? - Ted Thompson
Who evaluates players for future replacement? - Ted Thompson
Who needs to decide if Rodgers is to be Favre's replacement? - Ted Thompson

This is preseason, the time to evaluate players both for this year and for the future. If Thompson wants to see Rodgers start a game and play an extended time with the #1 offense, to help decide if Rodgers can be the Packers' future starter, he SHOULD have him start a game in preseason. He needs to know if he should be looking for another possible starter, or if he has a guy he is comfortable with.

Rastak
08-12-2006, 09:15 AM

This is preseason, the time to evaluate players both for this year and for the future. If Thompson wants to see Rodgers start a game and play an extended time with the #1 offense, to help decide if Rodgers can be the Packers' future starter, he SHOULD have him start a game in preseason. He needs to know if he should be looking for another possible starter, or if he has a guy he is comfortable with.

Who decides who plays any given day? THE COACH. Period. Hey, if Ted gets to decide who atarts and McCarthy is cool with that then who am I to say it's bad. I can'r imagine there are many guys who'd put up with that though.

Deputy Nutz
08-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Up to Ted? I thought Ted was responsible for putting together the roster, not who played. Wow poor Mike McCarthy, he is head coach in name only.

I wonder if Thompson calls the plays from the box?

Bretsky
08-12-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think this is that big of a deal. But per Patler's post, does TT really pick the final roster ? I would think coaches would be making recommendations to TT and then the GM carries them out. It'd be interesting to be a fly in the room when a coach wants to keep one guy and the GM wants to keep another. Spose the GM always wins since they make the cuts, but it'd be interesting anyways. So I guess Patler's right.

Patler
08-12-2006, 09:45 AM

Who decides who plays any given day? THE COACH. Period. Hey, if Ted gets to decide who atarts and McCarthy is cool with that then who am I to say it's bad. I can'r imagine there are many guys who'd put up with that though.

This is PRESEASON. The time to EVALUATE players. It's Thompson's job to evaluate the players and the team needs to do what is necessary for Thompson to do that as best as possible. Ultimately he has to decide if they need to find a QB for the next 10 years. If he can get a jumpstart on making that determination by having Rogers start a preseason game, that is what the Packer SHOULD do.

Should they wait until Favre retires before letting Rodgers prove himself in PRESEASON games? I don't think so. Favre isn't likely to play a lot until the final preseason game anyway. What is so awful about having Rodgers start maybe the 2nd or 3rd game so they can see how he handles it?

I would be willing to bet that most GMs dictate some of the playing time in preseason games. The GM needs to see what he needs to see to make his roster decisions.

Patler
08-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I don't think this is that big of a deal. But per Patler's post, does TT really pick the final roster ? I would think coaches would be making recommendations to TT and then the GM carries them out. It'd be interesting to be a fly in the room when a coach wants to keep one guy and the GM wants to keep another. Spose the GM always wins since they make the cuts, but it'd be interesting anyways. So I guess Patler's right.

Wolf said the final decision was his, but he always consulted with the coaches. He said it wasn't smart for a GM to force a player on a coach if the coach really didn't want him. But there have to be a lot of decisions that are close. I suspect it will be easy for the coach to be happy with different combinations. DT is probably one of those situations, and ultimately TT will probably decide how many and which ones to keep. Do you keep all six (unlikely), or do you keep 4 or 5? Do you keep 4, 5 or 6 WRs? The coaches would likely be happy with all 12 players on their roster. Ultmately the GM makes that decision.

But this is even different than that. Rodgers will be on the team, that's not even a question. TT needs to make a decision during this year whether or not he thinks Rodgers can take over whenever Favre decides to retire. He should go into the next offseason with a belief that Rodgers is or isn't the guy. If he decides that Rodgers isn't, TT needs to be looking for the right player. If Favre decides to retire, do we really want TT to be unsure of the direction he wants to go in replacing him? I suspect TT will learn alot from the preseason games this year regarding Rodgers future. If TT wants him to start one game in preseason to aid in that evaluation, so what?

Scott Campbell
08-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I agree with Patler, but would still like them to define their working relationship to the media. I think that's the only way all this speculation will go away.

Rastak
08-12-2006, 10:06 AM

This is PRESEASON. The time to EVALUATE players. It's Thompson's job to evaluate the players and the team needs to do what is necessary for Thompson to do that as best as possible. Ultimately he has to decide if they need to find a QB for the next 10 years. If he can get a jumpstart on making that determination by having Rogers start a preseason game, that is what the Packer SHOULD do.

Should they wait until Favre retires before letting Rodgers prove himself in PRESEASON games? I don't think so. Favre isn't likely to play a lot until the final preseason game anyway. What is so awful about having Rodgers start maybe the 2nd or 3rd game so they can see how he handles it?

I would be willing to bet that most GMs dictate some of the playing time in preseason games. The GM needs to see what he needs to see to make his roster decisions.

On your last point, I'd be very very surprised if this were the case.. TT certainly has final roster calls and I'm sure McCarthy has a huge input in those decisions. If a GM and a coach are on the same page, and I assume they are, then this isn't a huge deal...but I'll say it again, NcCarthy should be deciding who plays in pre, regular and god forbid post season.

Patler
08-12-2006, 10:19 AM

On your last point, I'd be very very surprised if this were the case..

I would be very surprised if it wasn't, especially in a situation like this. An aging QB, maybe in his last year. A first round draft pick from a year ago maybe being able to take over, maybe not. Decisions have to be made, and TT needs to go into the offseason knowing if he should look to sign a free agent QB, try to pick up a veteran who becomes available, invest a high draft pick (or picks to trade up) in another QB.

A lot of the Packer future will be determined by having an able replacement for Favre in the next year or two. Deciding about Rodgers is a key decision for TT.

Rastak
08-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Yea, I understand your points Patler and don't disagree with what you are saying....here is an example of how it should work...the phone rings

TT: Mike, I really would like to see Rodgers play with the first team so can you start him.

MM: No can do Ted, I already have my gameplan set, but I'll leave the 1st unit in a bit longer and give Rodgers two seriers with the first team.

TT: Great! Thanks Mike, what are you doing for dinner tonight? Hello? Hello?

NOT

TT: Mike, Rodgers is starting this week.

MM: But but.....hello? Ted, we seem to have been disconnected....hello?

vince
08-12-2006, 10:32 AM
As I see it, Patler is exactly right on this.

Training camp and the preseason are for:

1.evaluating talent, establishing the roster,
2. honing timing, learning schemes and reads, and building skill sets of the players
3. establishing the foundations for regular season in-game strategy

#1 lies squarely on the shoulders of Ted Thompson
#2 and #3 lies squarely on the shoulders of MM and the coaching staff

Also, Mike McCarthy reports directly to Ted Thompson, so Ted is responsible for all that goes on on the field, but like all successful heirarchical business relationships, there is a high level of trust, mutual respect and communication.

In order for Ted to fulfill his responsibilities, he may want to see Rodgers start a game. While McCarthy would obviously want to start his best people and play them as long as possible to win as much as possible, this time of the year is not 100% for that purpose.

This is completely in line with the long term needs evaluation of the team, and completely in line with the standard GM/Head Coach relationship. To say that McCarthy is Head Coach "in name only" is to misunderstand the nature of this relationship and to misunderstand the importance of #'s 2 and 3 above, which Ted Thompson is not directly involved in, and never will be - unless McCarthy is about to be fired.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2006, 10:51 AM
Actually, I was thinking this was a typo. It's happened before. I can't believe Thompson would decide who plays in the preseason, and Thompson didn't micro-manage when Sherman was here. I think the need for McCarthy to see what he has in his players trumps the need for Thompson to see what he has in his players. Maybe not. I wonder how they do things elsewhere. I wonder if Ron Wolf every did something like this to Sherman. Either way, I don't think it's a big deal--if McCarthy is okay with the arrangement. He probably agrees with doing it.

Patler
08-12-2006, 11:39 AM
TT: Mike, I really would like to see Rodgers play with the first team so can you start him.

MM: No can do Ted, I already have my gameplan set, but I'll leave the 1st unit in a bit longer and give Rodgers two seriers with the first team.

Except that might not be enough. Maybe he wants to see how Rodgers handles the start of the game, with all the excitement, anticipation and nervousness that mellows out as the game progresses. Not just in him, but the team as a whole. He is to be the leader of the offense. How does he handle the first huddle, the first series,etc?

Favre is the starter. TT knows it. MM knows it. They have nothing to evaluate with respect to Favre in the preseason. Nothing Favre does in preseason, except for being injured, will prevent him from starting the first game. The only decisions the staff will make regarding Favre will result from how he performs in the regular season games.

esoxx
08-12-2006, 11:41 AM

The problem here is Jags has got a big mouth and often talks before he thinks. I like Jags and his straight forward candor is refreshing, but at times he needs to put a sock in it. I guarantee you he's going to go off half cocked in the media against a player and wished he hadn't. That kind of stuff can catch up to you and can cause players to tune you out. Wish he would get some media savvy, at least just a little.

MJZiggy
08-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Uhhh guys? I think Jags misspoke. If any of you caught TT's last press conference, if I'm not mistaken he said he doesn't make those decisions. He even said that when he hangs out behind the sidelines, sometimes people get annoyed with him for beng there. He said he's there trying to determine how the guys fit in and to listen to what's going on. M3 has set the gameplan, roster, reps and the rest of it. I'm sure he meant to say M3.

fan4life
08-12-2006, 12:17 PM
When Holmgren left after the 98 season, the word was that he wanted more control over personnel. According to Wolf's business model, the GM picks the talent and the Coach plays with what he's got; the pre-season is for player evaluation.

We've been fortunate in GB to have an ironman behind center, but he'll be leaving soon. TT will have to have at least two QB's in the stable, to take over as #1 and #2. There's no doubt AR is proving himself worthy as a #2. The question is, can he be "The Man?" TT's got this year to figure out whether he should acquire another potential #1 (expensive) or go after a good back-up. AR's got a lot to prove, and it's hard to do that in mop-up duty with the second squad.

RashanGary
08-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I like the GM picking playing time in the preseason. The coach should have full say in the regular season and post season but in preseason it's all about roster uncertainty and Thompson's needs being met are more important than M3's needs being met right now. I agree 100% w/ Patler. I'd be concerned if TT was choosing opening day depth charts but Thompson is a damn roster general out there and if he wants to see Cory Rodgers return punts with the lights on then he's going to see Cory Rodgers return punts and I wouldn't want it any other way just as an example.

Patler
08-12-2006, 01:05 PM
The problem here is Jags has got a big mouth and often talks before he thinks. I like Jags and his straight forward candor is refreshing, but at times he needs to put a sock in it. I guarantee you he's going to go off half cocked in the media against a player and wished he hadn't. That kind of stuff can catch up to you and can cause players to tune you out. Wish he would get some media savvy, at least just a little.

I agree completely. We've already heard quite a few remarks from Jagodzinski, belittling what was done by Sherman etc. Maybe the days of the U-71 were past, but for a few years it was extremely productive. At times Jagodzinski gave an impression that his mind was made about about players before camp even started. Hopefully experience will help.

I don't want him completely muzzled, just a bit more careful about the ramifications of what he says. It is a big change for the fans. We've heard more from Jagodzinski in one off season than we heard from Rossley in five years!

Was it Sherman who prohibited the assistant coaches from giving separate interviews apart from scheduled news conferences? Or was that on a different team about a season or two ago?

Terry
08-12-2006, 01:32 PM
At least one person said it could have been a typo and another a slip of the tongue. I was looking for that in the thread after the very first post.

Creepy
08-12-2006, 02:39 PM
Earlier in the week I thought I read where MM was not quite sure how long Brett would play in the first pre-season game. I think you will see the #1 offense on the field for the whole 1st and possibly 2d quarter. These OL have got to learn to play together in the new scheme. One or two series with Brett won't do it. You may see shuffling of WRs between Favre & Rodgers, but again other than Driver everybody else is trying to start.

Tonight’s game is going to be more important to Wroebel & Martin, as they will have to show something for one of them to remain. It also may make the difference if TT may have to look for a different #3. Players who have been on the fence or have shown potential in TC, will now have the opportunity to show they can do it during a game. #d stringers of last year and poor playing #2s better watch their backs. The new guys will be trying to take there place. Considering GB finished 4-12 last year, nobody other hat the 1st team are exempt from being cut.

gbgary
08-12-2006, 03:26 PM
That's why the media needs to keep on this. Make them confirm or deny it, so we can put it behind us.

confirm or deny all they want...it's out there now and from an insider no less.

woodbuck27
08-12-2006, 08:43 PM

I agree Patler. It's the Pre-Season and now is that prudent time, for not only Ted Thompson but for all to see. Let's see what Aaron Rodgers ( really is now ) and if he needs more time to develop and how far he must come.

How close is Aaron Rodgers, to really stepping into the role that Mike McCarthy needs to lead OUR offense?

Test by fire ? NO ! This is Pre Season.

Could there be a price for this test? Many will say no, as Favre is and certainly will be ready. Thus we have a win-win situation for Ted Thompson, who as I sense it is running the show.

I don't feel that Mike McCarthy will be slighted in the least, as he is T3's man and in his apprenticeship as a HC.

As far as what other HC's in the NFL desire, as far as control of the personnel supplied by the Team's GM in game situations, I am ignorant. Yet that is moot, as Ted Thompson is GM of the Green Bay Packers. How the relationship goes between the HC and GM in the other 31 teams is of no concern to Ted Thompson.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH in 2006 !!

woodbuck27
08-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Uhhh guys? I think Jags misspoke. If any of you caught TT's last press conference, if I'm not mistaken he said he doesn't make those decisions. He even said that when he hangs out behind the sidelines, sometimes people get annoyed with him for beng there. He said he's there trying to determine how the guys fit in and to listen to what's going on. M3 has set the gameplan, roster, reps and the rest of it. I'm sure he meant to say M3.

Ziggy. You don't have to cover Ted's ass now. The cat's out of the bag.

What some of us suspected ( well I'll speak for myself) is just this and let's face it and move on.

Ted Thompson is in charge in Green Bay.

Mike McCarthy will do what Ted tells him to. He's Ted's man. Is that a great shock to you MJ?

Jago let the cat out of the bag.

Was that wrong for him to do so? Yes. Very uncool.

Will he (Jago) get spanked for that? Yes! Will we hear about that ? No !

That's as I see and it's all too clear. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
08-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Woodbuck, watch TT's press conference. Then watch M3's post practice conference. There you will find the truth as they both address this very topic.

And TT's ass doesn't need me covering it. His pants do that plenty well enough.

woodbuck27
08-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Woodbuck, watch TT's press conference. Then watch M3's post practice conference. There you will find the truth as they both address this very topic.

And TT's ass doesn't need me covering it. His pants do that plenty well enough.

Your toast on this one MJ. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
08-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Have you seen the press conferences?

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Have you seen the press conferences?

I'll come back to you on this MJ. :mrgreen:

Ted has work to do for OUR team this season as the OL needs alot of help and hard work.

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:28 AM
The Oline will have some steep learning curves cause they are so young and inexperienced but they will get better.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 12:38 AM
The Oline will have some steep learning curves cause they are so young and inexperienced but they will get better.

Now that the BS is revealed the work begins. We all knew we would face an uphill climb, with such inexperience on OUR OL.

The whole game in terms of OUR success will depend on T2 getting busy in this key area of need.

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:41 AM
It's a bit late to significantly upgrade the position. The Oline we have now will pretty much be the line we will have against the Bears. The line at years end will be much better that the line we have on opening day.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 12:42 AM
It's a bit late to significantly upgrade the position. The Oline we have now will pretty much be the line we will have against the Bears. The line at years end will be much better that the line we have on opening day.

How many wins in this season, did you predict for us b bulldog?

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:43 AM
I'm thinking 4-6.

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:44 AM
A team that may start 5 rookies is not a team that will be in contention come December.

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:45 AM
All these kids need to play so next season the team can start making significant progress.

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:47 AM
Our passing D stunk!!!!

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm thinking 4-6.

I said 7 but felt that might be a little optimistic. I have to see OUR TC.

I actually said 4 last season after I saw OUR TC.

GrnBay007
08-13-2006, 12:49 AM
I said 12....lol Glad I couldn't SEE the game tonight. :wink:

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 12:49 AM
We are in year two of our rebuilding campaign and I think by years end, the team will be better but the record may not show it.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 01:01 AM
We are in year two of our rebuilding campaign and I think by years end, the team will be better but the record may not show it.

I'm not giving up yet, but we need something else.

It's freakin' neat that people like GrnBay007 opt to predict, something like 12 wins.

Ya gotta love it !! :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THR FAITH !!

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 01:10 AM
sHE needs to lay off of the sauce :oops:

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 01:11 AM
sHE needs to lay off of the sauce :oops:

She's a good Gal ! :cool:

b bulldog
08-13-2006, 01:12 AM
The sauce can be a good thing

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 10:07 AM
I just finished watching that game--some sauce might just do the trick right now.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I just finished watching that game--some sauce might just do the trick right now.

Not to worry just yet MJ. Be concerned though. :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 10:43 AM
You're right. No need for sauce yet. Chocolate is taking care of this one fine, though if they don't improve (which is what I'm looking for--steady improvement) it's gonna take a LOT of chocolate.

GBRulz
08-13-2006, 12:19 PM
You're right. No need for sauce yet. Chocolate is taking care of this one fine, though if they don't improve (which is what I'm looking for--steady improvement) it's gonna take a LOT of chocolate.

I still need something as long as Kevin Harlan is in the broadcast booth...

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 12:21 PM
You just need the mute button...

GBRulz
08-13-2006, 12:25 PM
that doesn't solve the problem of having to watch him in the broadcast booth with his head tilted looking like he's checking out the other guys junk all the time.....