PDA

View Full Version : JH's top 11 teams of the next 5 years

RashanGary
07-05-2011, 03:51 PM
I looked at last years finishing, age, cap space, QB stability, coaching stability and UFA's coming up

1 - GB Packers - relatively young, Cap space, only 1 major UFA, coaching stability, QB stability
2 - NO Saints - relatively young, Cap space, 1 major UFA, coaching stability, QB stability
3 - NE Patriots - older roster, Cap space, no major UFAs, coaching stability, QB stability
4 - Chicago Bears - relatively young, Cap space, no major UFAs, coaching stability, QB stability
5 - SanDiego Chargers - relatively young, decent cap, 1 mid level ufa, coaching stability, QB stability
6 - NY Jets - relatively young, cap space, several decent UFAs, coaching stability, QB improving
7 - Det Lions - young, cap space, 1 mid level UFA, Coaching stability, QB improving (suh and fairly make up one of the more intriguing stories in football)
8 - St Louis Rams - young, cap space, no major UFA's, coaching stability, QB on verge of dominence
9 - Atlanta Falcons - relatively young, low cap space, several mid level UFA's, coaching stability, QB stability
10 - Phili Eagles - young, Vick and on mid level UFA, low cap space, coaching stability, QB stability
11 - Pittsburgh Steelers - old, a couple mid level UFA's, cap trouble, coaching stability, QB stability

RashanGary
07-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Chicago, Detroit and St. Louis came in a little higher than I would have expected. Phily, Pittsburgh, Atl and Indy (not on list) came in lower than I expected when I started putting this together.

Oh, and the NFCN might be the best division in football. Only the Vikings look like a disaster. The rest look like playoff teams.

MadScientist
07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
How do you gauge cap space after the uncapped year, and with rules that have not been clearly defined (at least not to us) going forward?

As for the Bears being rated high, it is clear last year's finish pushes them up, and nothing brings them down, even though most of us are dubious of the overall talent, especially on offense. I also don't think Cutler should have the same QB category as Rodgers, Breese and Brady.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-05-2011, 05:16 PM
ATL - With the way they just traded all those draft picks away, they might not be as good as you think in two years time.

Philly - I don't see Vick playing at a high level as he gets older. I feel too much of his game relies on his legs.

Lions - I'll believe it when I see it.

Bears - Culter is nothing special and their best players on defense are getting older. I don't know how good they will be in a couple years, to hard to tell.

Rams - Still a year or two away, but I could see them being good soon.

Steelers - agreed

Pats - agreed

Saints - agreed

Chargers - agreed but they need more than Rivers and Gates.

Jets - A team that relies on free agency a lot. Its to hard to predict how good they will be....a lot depends the QB getting a lot better.

My top teams would be:
1. Packers - Great QB, young studs all over, and a great GM.
2. Pats - Brady and Belichek. Need I say more.
3. Saints - Brees and good supporting cast. If Payton leaves they could have a couple bad years.
4. Ravens - Good QB and GM
5. Steelers - Ben big + great coach
6. Colts - As long as they have Manning they will be good.
7. Bucs - Freedmen is really good. They will be there.
8. Falcons - Ryan is good, but can they keep building the team up?
9. Chargers - Couple superstars winning them games. They need to get better, but they have the QB.
10. Cowboys - Good QB and good team. They will have their up and down years.
11. Eagles/Gaints/Jets - Good but nothing special, esp. in a couple years. If I'm worng about any of them I feel its the Gaints.

Rams and Lions popping up and a couple teams dropping in two years or so. I could see the Colts and Falcons dropping off in a couple years.

Bretsky
07-05-2011, 05:26 PM
I looked at last years finishing, age, cap space, QB stability, coaching stability and UFA's coming up

1 - GB Packers - relatively young, Cap space, only 1 major UFA, coaching stability, QB stability
2 - NO Saints - relatively young, Cap space, 1 major UFA, coaching stability, QB stability
3 - NE Patriots - older roster, Cap space, no major UFAs, coaching stability, QB stability
4 - Chicago Bears - relatively young, Cap space, no major UFAs, coaching stability, QB stability
5 - SanDiego Chargers - relatively young, decent cap, 1 mid level ufa, coaching stability, QB stability
6 - NY Jets - relatively young, cap space, several decent UFAs, coaching stability, QB improving
7 - Det Lions - young, cap space, 1 mid level UFA, Coaching stability, QB improving (suh and fairly make up one of the more intriguing stories in football)
8 - St Louis Rams - young, cap space, no major UFA's, coaching stability, QB on verge of dominence
9 - Atlanta Falcons - relatively young, low cap space, several mid level UFA's, coaching stability, QB stability
10 - Phili Eagles - young, Vick and on mid level UFA, low cap space, coaching stability, QB stability
11 - Pittsburgh Steelers - old, a couple mid level UFA's, cap trouble, coaching stability, QB stability

The Bears being too high jumps at me. Martz and Tice seem to have resolved differences but we'll see how they keep working together going forward. I'd probably have to pop the Chargers and Jets over them. Still unsure about Cutler being a winner.

I can see the Lions and Rams taking the next step soon but you might be a year early......it'd be hard for me to put them above teams like Pitt....who always has solid coaching, a top QB, and a very solid defense with a great DC, and Indy....who seemed to draft two first round talents at OL this year that should greatly help P Manning. I may have to dig up my list soon with a bit more research but those are a few thoughts off the top

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-05-2011, 05:37 PM
The Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Raiders, Redskins, Seahawks, 49ers, Cards, Panthers, and Vikings would be my bottom ten of the next five years.

vince
07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
The Bills have an uphill battle in the AFC East, but they are improving IMO.

I don't see how the Bears can be described as "young." Their defense is aging and they haven't drafted well in years.

KYPack
07-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Tampa Bay Josh Freeman is a good young QB with a live arm and natural leadership. I get the feeling Raheem Morris knows what he's doing. Same record as GB last season, but went home anyhow. I think Morris can feed off the lack of respect shown his team and motivate this bunch.

ThunderDan
07-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Great topic!!!

I would also drop the Bears way down maybe off of the list. Their D is aging and their O is bad. If it weren't for special teams (where they are excellent) and D take aways that is a 8-8 team last year to me. I also would drop the Jets. The D is great but I don't trust Sanchez in a tight game and definately don't want him as my QB when they are behind.

I like the Lions over a 5 year stretch but I don't trust their QB to stay healthy. They could become the Ravens of the NFC.

I also like Tampa over the next 5 years. Very young and showed they could win tight games against poor opponents. I think 2011 shows if they are ready for the playoffs for a nice 3-5 year run.

I am glad you kept the NY Giants off of the list.

Guiness
07-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Also have trouble agreeing with Chi in the top ten, and not so sure they have QB stability. I like packfan_n_md's list better, maybe with Atl up another notch above the Bucs.

The Saints time might be done though.

hoosier
07-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Tampa Bay Josh Freeman is a good young QB with a live arm and natural leadership. I get the feeling Raheem Morris knows what he's doing. Same record as GB last season, but went home anyhow. I think Morris can feed off the lack of respect shown his team and motivate this bunch.

Agreed. I would also put KC in this category. Cassel will be solid as long as they have a good ground game, and Pioli seems to me one of the top GMs in the league today. I expect the Chiefs to return to the kind of team they were under Schottenheimer in the 1990s.