PDA

View Full Version : NFC North: If You're Fearing the Lions...

Fritz
07-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I know a number of posters on this site have mentioned the Lions as a team to be wary of in the coming years. One major reason for that is the big d-tackle, N. Suh.

I saw this article on him this morning by Chris McCosky of the Detroit News - it's really not much, at this point, but if you're looking for a sliver of hope that the Lions might (again) self destruct, this gives you just a tiny sliver.

It's not a big deal, just a filler piece, but what the heck. It's the offseason.

http://detnews.com/article/20110610/OPINION03/106100428/1339/sports0101/Appearance-by-Lions%E2%80%99-Suh-all-about-self-promotion

vince
07-10-2011, 11:04 AM
It does leave some question as to whether Suh is more focused on himself than winning. That ultimately remains to be seen. So far he's gotten it done on the field pretty well. I like the fact that he matches up mostly with Sitton, who I'd line up across from anyone in the league and like my chances.

get louder at lambeau
07-10-2011, 12:54 PM
The Lions have had problems for how long? Barry Sanders couldn't fix them. Suh can't fix them either. Only better management decisions will fix the Lions, and until they prove that they have fixed their historically horrible management, they are still the same old Detroit Lions, talented or not.

I believe the guy running the show over there was part of the Matt Millen administration. I'll wait and see what they can do. They certainly have some talent, but I don't know that they have a complete team quite yet either.

gbgary
07-10-2011, 02:04 PM
they're a quarterback, that can stay on the field, away from being our biggest threat.

Tarlam!
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
they're a quarterback, that can stay on the field, away from being our biggest threat.

This. And the secondary wasn't addressed in the draft according to the pundits I read.

I admire the solidarity of the team and the coach. That kind of gelling makes for a great foundation. Ask TT.

Thanks Fritz!

Deputy Nutz
07-10-2011, 06:45 PM
This article is bogus. This guy finally had a reason to take a shot at a Suh who won't talk to the local media. This is also the reason why the Packers are not organizing player run practices because players that don't show up to them get crucified from the local tree killers.

Lurker64
07-10-2011, 08:11 PM

In the division, maybe. But in the league? Not even close. The Lions defensive back 7 is bad and their OL isn't very good. I think people are getting way too excited about the Lions latest draft, it's almost certainly one that looks better on paper than in reality. It will be hard for Fairley and Suh to play together unless Detroit goes to a 3-4, Fairley has "the worst of Haynesworth" written all over him, Young is a diva whose mindset doesn't match up with his skillset, and LeShoure is fake-tough (a la Lawrence Maroney.) They're certainly on the right track, considering where they've been... but I think anointing them potentially the greatest threat in the division is more a statement about how the Bears are likely declining due to the age of the defense and the Vikings are a disaster than anything else.

RashanGary
07-10-2011, 08:53 PM
These are lists compiled by Packer and Lion fans respectively.

1. Aaron Rodgers
2. Charles Woodson
3. Clay Matthews
4. BJ Raji
5. Jermichael Finley
6. Greg Jennings
7. Tramon Williams
8. Nick Collins
9. Josh Sitton
10. Chad Clifton
11. Cullen Jenkins
12. AJ Hawk
13. Ryan Grant
14. Ryan Pickett
15. Scott Wells
16. Desmond Bishop
17. Sam Shields
18. Donald Driver
19. Nick Barnett
20. Jordy Nelson
21. Bryan Bulaga
22. James Jones
23. Vote Now!!!

1. Calvin Johnson
2. Ndomukong Suh
3. Louis Delmas
4. Jeff Backus
5. Cliff Avril
6. Rob Sims
7. Brandon Pettigrew
8. Kyle Vanden Bosch
9. Matt Stafford
10. Corey Williams
11. DeAndre Levy
12. Jason Hanson
13. Nate Burleson
14. Chris Houston

RashanGary
07-10-2011, 08:56 PM
By my count the Packers have 9 top tier pieces. The Lions have 3. But 4 years ago they had maybe zero. So they're mounting a charge. While we can't say for certain they're drafting really well, we can say they are getting good players. Before they weren't getting any.

So will they be improved? I say yes. They will be improved because they're adding top talent slowly but surely. We're at the peak. They're at step 2 or 3. And with a healthy QB and healthy RB, they're going to look a lot better. You go all the way down their list of 14 and they're all guys who belong on the field. A few years ago, I don't think you could even say that and there definitely weren't any blue chippers like there are now. Delmas reminds me of Sharper. He might turn into a star.

RashanGary
07-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Johnson, Suh and Delmas would all be starting on our SB roster.

Iron Mike
07-10-2011, 09:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/deadlion.jpg

vince
07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
What a contrast. I know you're saying Delmas, who's a 2-deep free safety, would move to SS and start over Peprah/Burnett and play mostly 2-deep, but at free safety, I'd take the Packers' #8 guy over their #3 guy.

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Here's a link to the Lions game results from last season. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/det/2010_games.htm

You guys saying they aint nothin' might wanna recall their season. Look at how many games they were soundly thrashed by their opponents. Recall how they were robbed in Week 1.

They're getting their shit together faster than you guys wanna acknowledge. That locker room is coming together. You guys all know a great part of the game is played in the heads of the players. They're believing in themselves.

Tell me again, how many unknowns did the Pack have to start last year to win it all?

RashanGary
07-11-2011, 08:33 AM
What a contrast. I know you're saying Delmas, who's a 2-deep free safety, would move to SS and start over Peprah/Burnett and play mostly 2-deep, but at free safety, I'd take the Packers' #8 guy over their #3 guy.

Their three stars are very young. Just like the way the Packers started with a few play makers here and there, it piles up because those are long term guys and they will keep adding to it. Who knows how many new playmakers will emerge this year for them? 1? 2? The new management is hitting about 1 a year.

They're getting better. They should be 8-8 or better this year if you ask me and if they keep drafting the way they are, they'll be hella competitive over the next 5 years. They have the start of a good thing.

And I've been a, "I'll believe it when I see it" guy for the last 5 years. I scoffed at the idea that the Lions would improve, but now they have a history of getting playmakers in the draft and I think there is reason to believe it will continue. If it does, they will be better every year (unless injury hits of course.)

They will be better this year. I'd bet on it.

vince
07-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Their three stars are very young. Just like the way the Packers started with a few play makers here and there, it piles up because those are long term guys and they will keep adding to it. Who knows how many new playmakers will emerge this year for them? 1? 2? The new management is hitting about 1 a year.

They're getting better. They should be 8-8 or better this year if you ask me and if they keep drafting the way they are, they'll be hella competitive over the next 5 years. They have the start of a good thing.

And I've been a, "I'll believe it when I see it" guy for the last 5 years. I scoffed at the idea that the Lions would improve, but now they have a history of getting playmakers in the draft and I think there is reason to believe it will continue. If it does, they will be better every year (unless injury hits of course.)

I agree.

Guiness
07-11-2011, 09:33 AM

They certainly have a couple of playmakers from the last 3 drafts, but I think it's a reach to say 'they have a history of getting...'. Suh and CJ do not a history make.

They are improving though, and if they continue on the track they're on, could well be the second best team in the division this year. They closed strong, and the win against TB was impressive. Minn and Chi are headed in the other direction.

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 09:40 AM
'they have a history of getting...'. Suh and CJ do not a history make.

Totally agree, and add that QB. If he stays healthy, he seems like a good pick. But it's easy to get that quality when you select top 5 year after year after year.

Guiness
07-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Totally agree, and add that QB. If he stays healthy, he seems like a good pick. But it's easy to get that quality when you select top 5 year after year after year.

I specifically didn't mention Stafford. He's played more games than Harrell...one more! They played the same number of games their first 2 years in the league!

Fritz
07-11-2011, 01:18 PM
I think their GM, Martin Mayhew, is on the right track. However, he has yet to show he can grab talented players beyond the second or third round. I think they'll be better this year, maybe 8-8 or 9-7. I'm in 'wait and see' mode.

MadScientist
07-11-2011, 02:04 PM
I think their GM, Martin Mayhew, is on the right track. However, he has yet to show he can grab talented players beyond the second or third round. I think they'll be better this year, maybe 8-8 or 9-7. I'm in 'wait and see' mode.
Which makes him 3 rounds better than Millen. That is enough to get them competitive, but depth from good late round picks makes it possible to survive a long season. They are in better shape than they have been since they last made the playoffs. (Granted, that's not saying too much).

mraynrand
07-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Which makes him 3 rounds better than Millen.

The Matt Millen Draft Board:
http://assets.communityspice.com/media/assets/Features/Games/Dart%20Board.jpg

Fritz
07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
The pet psychic was better than Millen.

mraynrand
07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
The pet psychic was better than Millen.

Alllllrighteeeeee then!

http://ecdn1.hark.com/images/000/001/161/1161/original.jpg

3irty1
07-11-2011, 04:00 PM
One surprising fact about Matt Stafford: he's only 2 weeks older than Christian Ponder. The guy has PLENTY of time to turn his career around and when he's actually been on the field, he's been effective.

The Lions Offensive line isn't a whole lot different from the Packers line right now--they are capable at pass blocking and well below average in the running game, just like us. This offense is just a little bit of luck away from scoring piles of points IMO. The defense on the other hand isn't nearly as impressive. To compete with the Packers you've got to have a kick-ass back 7 and they have about one piece. I could see them as a poor-man's Colts in future seasons.

MadScientist
07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
One surprising fact about Matt Stafford: he's only 2 weeks older than Christian Ponder. The guy has PLENTY of time to turn his career around and when he's actually been on the field, he's been effective.
I don't know that turn his career around is the right phrasing. More like turn his health around. Rodgers did it, although the concussions are a worry. With Stafford the problem has been injuries to his throwing shoulder. That could lead to less effectiveness, or an increase in injuries due to compensating for the previous injury, or weaker repairs keeping the shoulder in place. Detroit needs to work on a developmental QB, but right now they can't put much into the backup QB because they have holes elsewhere. That will cost them big time if Stafford doesn't keep his arm in tact.

RashanGary
07-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Stafford looked really good in that first Bears game. I remember being impressed. He's come a long way. If he has a healthy season coming up, like everyone said, he could be really good. This is his Stafford's 3rd season. We can't start comparing him to Rodgers until next year.

He could be a big difference maker for them. Best being healthy too.

The Lions have a chance to surprise this year. They say it every year, but I don't. This is the first time I'm saying it and I'm calling my shot. Lions will finish at or above .500

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-11-2011, 05:41 PM
They will be decent, but they still have major issues. Besides there QB staying healthy, there oline needs to improve greatly. Those two go hand and hand.

Then stift to the defense. The linebackers are average and the secondary is still below average. The stength of the team is there skilled position players and there dline.

8-8? Maybe......but I'd bet they are still closer to 6 than 10 if they don't land 8 wins.

vince
07-11-2011, 06:14 PM
They became a force to be reckoned with starting about Thanksgiving last year. They had the Pats on the ropes and couldn't finish, then they should have beat the Bears too the next week. Following that, they won their last 4 games including beating the Pack and the Bucs. Not that there's any momentum to carry over from year to year, but as they continue to improve and gain experience, they'll continue to be better than their 6-10 record from last year.

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
they won their last 4 games including beating the Pack and the Bucs.

Thankfully, they beat the Bucs! If they hadn't some other team's fans would be cooing "we are the champions"! :) Heck, might have even been the Bus' fans! :)

gbgary
07-11-2011, 07:16 PM
In the division, maybe. But in the league? Not even close. The Lions defensive back 7 is bad and their OL isn't very good. I think people are getting way too excited about the Lions latest draft, it's almost certainly one that looks better on paper than in reality. It will be hard for Fairley and Suh to play together unless Detroit goes to a 3-4, Fairley has "the worst of Haynesworth" written all over him, Young is a diva whose mindset doesn't match up with his skillset, and LeShoure is fake-tough (a la Lawrence Maroney.) They're certainly on the right track, considering where they've been... but I think anointing them potentially the greatest threat in the division is more a statement about how the Bears are likely declining due to the age of the defense and the Vikings are a disaster than anything else.

yes...i'm only speaking about our division.

ThunderDan
07-11-2011, 09:01 PM
I am not as optimistic about the Lions as some on here. While the rosters aren't set I just went over the Lions schedule and I see them in the 6-10 to 8-8 range. Most likely I see 7-9.

The Lions for the 3rd place team doesn't get a cakewalk in its games. They get Dallas and SF. Both teams have questionmarks but both look to be playoff contenders at the beginning of the year.

The NFC North gets the NFC South and AFC West next year. That means ATL, NO, Tampa, KC and SD. Five tough non-division/conference games for everyone in the North.

I don't think the Lions will sneak up on anyone this year and teams won't take the DET week lightly in 2011.

MJZiggy
07-12-2011, 07:47 AM
I don't necessarily FEAR the Lions at this point, but let's just say I'm paying attention. There's potential there.

sharpe1027
07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
As bad as they were, it is almost impossible for them not to have improved. There is a difference between being somewhat competitive and being a serious threat. Many teams never clear the hurdle. The Bills have been trying for a long time to do just that, San Fran is stuck there as well. I think it is just as likely that the Lions top out at around a .500 team and then slip back to their familiar position near the bottom.

MJZiggy
07-12-2011, 03:07 PM
As bad as they were, it is almost impossible for them not to have improved. There is a difference between being somewhat competitive and being a serious threat. Many teams never clear the hurdle. The Bills have been trying for a long time to do just that, San Fran is stuck there as well. I think it is just as likely that the Lions top out at around a .500 team and then slip back to their familiar position near the bottom.
I'd prefer to see them unseated on the bottom rung by Chicago...

Lurker64
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I'd prefer to see them unseated on the bottom rung by Chicago...

Last place should really just alternate between the Vikings and the Bears.

MJZiggy
07-12-2011, 04:54 PM

I could live with that...

Pugger
07-13-2011, 10:03 AM

Maybe they could end up in a tie for last place? :wink:

bobblehead
07-13-2011, 07:09 PM

First place should alternate between GReen Bay and the Packers.

3irty1
07-13-2011, 10:23 PM
They will be decent, but they still have major issues. Besides there QB staying healthy, there oline needs to improve greatly. Those two go hand and hand.

Then stift to the defense. The linebackers are average and the secondary is still below average. The stength of the team is there skilled position players and there dline.

8-8? Maybe......but I'd bet they are still closer to 6 than 10 if they don't land 8 wins.

Don't think I agree with this assessment. For one, their offensive line isn't that bad. Its certainly not good but I wouldn't trade it for the Bears' or anything. Their strength is pass blocking so I don't suspect a ton sacks like back in their Mike Martz days. They also have 2 TE's on the field pretty much all the time which takes a lot of pressure off of their oline.

Calling their linebackers average is super generous in my opinion. That group is trash and the weakest unit on the team followed by their secondary.

gbgary
01-05-2012, 09:25 AM
a good bump i think.