PDA

View Full Version : Pacman finds his way back onto police blotter

Guiness
07-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Can't believe it took this long. I'd almost forgotten about him, couldn't even have told you if he was still in the league or not. I would have guessed not...

http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30564848

According to WLWT (http://www.wlwt.com/r/28500583/detail.html) in Cincinnati, Jones was handcuffed early this morning after he refused to cooperate with police officers at a local bar. WKRC (http://www.local12.com/news/local/story/Adam-Pac-Man-Jones-Arrested-Overnight/q1JlENXL_0OcW7zqif4VJw.cspx) reports Jones has been charged with disorderly conduct while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

lol. His side
http://andy-benoit.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30574752

"I hadn't been drinking,” he told the TV station. “I was with my wife. It was her birthday. It don't make no sense. There is no reason why I should have got locked up. No reason."

It might well be true that he was doing 'nothing' but the guy's got precious little goodwill built up to make me believe it...

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 03:38 AM
Such a waste.

There must be some way to life coach these kids while they're still playing school ball. Make it a mandatory part of the student-athlete concept, you know, like a class or something. Curriculum to include case studies of highly talented athletes that blew their careers due to behaviour. What could have been, should have been and really happened. Cover issues like "how to choose friends", "how your homies from the hood can still get you to prison, despite your multi million dollar signing bonus" or, my favourite from Fritz " Codeine drinks are NOT worth millions of dollars". Also "how to lose a Heimann Trophy", "Investing your paycheck so you're not on social security by age 36".

I think the NFL rookie orientation the the teams and the NFL put on a great, but clearly, by the time they get to their locker rooms, the damage done is hard to repair.

It's obvious that Jones never had any positive role models to shape him. He's obviously a flawed character, but if he'd have had life coaching beinning his freshman year, he may have been better prepared.

I also think the NFL or some body be created that issues a kind of quality seal of excellence in sports agents. I mean, right now, anybody can be an agent. There should be some type of standards and qualifications for these people. Make 'em sit a "bar exam".

I hate seeing this talent go to waste. The product is better if the talent isn't wasting away in the state penn.

Just some thoughts.

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 03:42 AM
In fact, it is of such interest to professional sports teams across the board, they should get together and co sponsor it with the schools.

Zool
07-11-2011, 10:34 AM
The problem Tar is that you can't fix stupid.

MJZiggy
07-11-2011, 11:55 AM
The problem Tar is that you can't fix stupid.
True, but I do see his point that it may help to try and edumacate 'em a lil earlier...

Fritz
07-11-2011, 01:14 PM
I think it's a bigger cultural problem. Why do so many of these guys seem to be ass-ears? Because they're treated differently from early on, treated as if they can do no wrong, that coach/authorities will look the other way or "fix" a problem for these guys - because they're valued only for their athletic ability and what they can do on a field.

But it doesn't hurt to try to educate 'em up. I agree with Tar.

mraynrand
07-11-2011, 01:41 PM
One of the reasons guys like Jones needs to be 'edumacated' is that often, the family structure doesn't or never did exist. So guys like Jones, coming from a fatherless background, gets treated like an adult earlier than others might, especially others of a different skin color. It's part racial bias, and part family bias. Here's an old article describing the phenomena (comparing the treatment of Andy Reid's kids to Pac Man Jones. It should be pointed out that the author forgot the obvious difference is that the Reid 'kids' have interest because of their father, and Pac Man has interest because his behavior - probably due to the fact that he lacked a father (Murdered when Jones was 4, I believe). Reid's 'kids' are treated as kids because that is their identity and the very reason for their being covered in the first place).

You can't educate family. If Reid was a crappy/absent father that may be no different than the lack of a father, a situation which is reaching epidemic proportions, especially among urban poor - largely blacks. I have a lot of sympathy for boys raised without decent fathers. They are missing out on a lot and it makes life very difficult for them and their single moms, some who are equipped to handle it, and many who aren't.

http://www.cosellout.com/2007/11/02/no-kidding-pacman-jones-the-sons-of-andy-reid-2/

Tarlam!
07-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I have a lot of sympathy for boys raised without decent fathers. They are missing out on a lot and it makes life very difficult for them and their single moms, some who are equipped to handle it, and many who aren't.

This.

Guiness
07-12-2011, 09:52 PM
One of the reasons guys like Jones needs to be 'edumacated' is that often, the family structure doesn't or never did exist. So guys like Jones, coming from a fatherless background, gets treated like an adult earlier than others might, especially others of a different skin color. It's part racial bias, and part family bias. Here's an old article describing the phenomena (comparing the treatment of Andy Reid's kids to Pac Man Jones. It should be pointed out that the author forgot the obvious difference is that the Reid 'kids' have interest because of their father, and Pac Man has interest because his behavior - probably due to the fact that he lacked a father (Murdered when Jones was 4, I believe). Reid's 'kids' are treated as kids because that is their identity and the very reason for their being covered in the first place).

This is something that can mess up a kid pretty badly.

My gf has a couple of kids from a previous marriage. When she split, her son was 9 or 10. His illustrious father told him "I won't be around now, so you have to be the man of the family." This caused some behavioral problems, and took a while to sort out.

MJZiggy
07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
This is something that can mess up a kid pretty badly.

My gf has a couple of kids from a previous marriage. When she split, her son was 9 or 10. His illustrious father told him "I won't be around now, so you have to be the man of the family." This caused some behavioral problems, and took a while to sort out.

What an idiot. My ex and I made it a point not to screw up our kid when we split. He has complete access to both of us.

Guiness
07-13-2011, 08:37 AM
What an idiot. My ex and I made it a point not to screw up our kid when we split. He has complete access to both of us.

It's great if you can do it, but I'm sure you know it doesn't always go that way.

My ex decided it would be a good idea to hire a lawyer who does more criminal work that family...including defending a rapist and a murderer. Ya, that went well. His brief's were REAL friendly.

MJZiggy
07-13-2011, 08:45 AM
It's great if you can do it, but I'm sure you know it doesn't always go that way.

My ex decided it would be a good idea to hire a lawyer who does more criminal work that family...including defending a rapist and a murderer. Ya, that went well. His brief's were REAL friendly.

We used a mediator. By the time we got to court, it was a done deal. All we had to do was submit the paperwork. It really cuts down on the animosity.

Tarlam!
07-13-2011, 01:11 PM
We used a mediator. By the time we got to court, it was a done deal. All we had to do was submit the paperwork. It really cuts down on the animosity.

You played hard, done well Zig. It oughta be possible to put the kids first and you and ex did. Too bad for your GFs ex Guinn. Where are my 35 secs BTW?

Guiness
07-14-2011, 04:08 AM

I applaud you as well MJZ, and wish I could have followed the same path.

Unfortunately, it takes two. I suggested collaborative law, but she would have none of it. When she decided to divorce, she had it set in her mind what was going to happen: she gets full custody, final say in all matters concerning the kids, I see them every second week-end or so. I immediately move out of the house and sleep on a friend's couch, or at my sister's house. When I didn't agree, the subpoena's started. Including a letter through her lawyer, copied to the police, when I had the gall to return from a business trip and walk into the house, which she considered to be hers, lock stock and barrel approximately 2 minutes after she told me she wanted to separate:huh:

We're getting on toward Romper Room material here, or damn close to it. There's three sides to every story, 'he said' 'she said' and 'what really happened', plus my tab with Tarlam! is rapidly approaching a minute. He's going to send the knee-capers to collect soon!

Tarlam!
07-14-2011, 07:31 AM
For some reason, Guinn, I thought you were talking about your girlfriend and her ex in your in initial post. I just re-read it and have no idea how I got that idea! But you have it nailed that we should deal with that stuff in RR.

Your debt is herewith paid, BTW! :)