PDA

View Full Version : Jolly

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2011, 04:44 PM
So is it a foregone conclusion that he will be suspended this year? We could have really used him with Jenkins probably stepping out? Has anything come out that I just missed?

MJZiggy
07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
So is it a foregone conclusion that he will be suspended this year? We could have really used him with Jenkins probably stepping out? Has anything come out that I just missed?
Besides him being arrested again? http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6403024

red
07-12-2011, 05:21 PM
ummmm, what rock have you been living under?

there's a lockout on, no football news of any kind for the last too many months

i'm guessing he's gone though. either suspended for the year or just released by the team

we survived last year without jenkins, jolly, or neal. at least we get neal back this year. and from what i've heard, he's been working his ass off

Bretsky
07-12-2011, 05:25 PM
put a dagger in him

MJZiggy
07-12-2011, 05:34 PM
put a dagger in him
Ship him to the Bengals...

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Yeah I knew he stepped in shit again, I just haven't read anything on him in at least a couple months. F em.

Patler
07-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Jolly went into mandatory rehab almost immediately after the last deal was approved. He should be getting out soon. It seemed to have been timed to get him out for TC. My guess is that he will be reinstated by the league. He has already been punished as much or more than players who have done worse.

What the Packers decide to do with him is really anyone's guess. I'm not convinced they will release him, especially now that he has gone through rehab. They have always said as a person he is fun to be with and one of the players who actually enjoys practicing the most. His problem was following bad influences at home.

I won't be surprised at all if they do release him, but I'm not certain that they will.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Well if he is approved to play, is in shape, and committed once TC starts I say wha the hell give him a shot. Could really add depth to the dline.

Raji, Neal, Jolly, Pickett, Wilson, and Green looks pretty good.

vince
07-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Didn't Jolly drop in the draft because of character concerns? If so, I may be master of the obvious but I'm seeing a trend here. There's no reason to think that if he does come back, he won't just fuck it up again. That d-line does look nice though MD.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Vince, he will fuck up again, thats for sure lol. Hope its just not from August til feburary. After that, good or bad, let him loose. Use him while we need him.

get louder at lambeau
07-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Jolly needs to find Jesus or some other bullshit that makes him think he's the "New and Improved" Johnny Jolly. Some kind of mental placebo. Maybe rehab will point him at a good one.

MadScientist
07-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Ship him to the Bengals...
If the judge sentenced him to that, it would be thrown out ad cruel and in human punishment. It doesn't matter though, he drank is way out of the NFL. Maybe the UFL will take him.

Patler
07-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Was Jolly's crime really worse than Michael Vicks'?
Ben Roethlisberger's?
Ray Lewis'
Donte Stallworth's?
Fred Evan's?
Ricky Mannings'?

The many other players guilty of domestic battery, assault or steroid abuse?

mraynrand
07-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Jolly or Harrell - who lasts longer this year?

mraynrand
07-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Jolly needs to find Jesus or some other bullshit that makes him think he's the "New and Improved" Johnny Jolly. Some kind of mental placebo. Maybe rehab will point him at a good one.

Maybe finding Jesus isn't always bullshit. BTW, why do you think Jesus is lost?

get louder at lambeau
07-12-2011, 11:38 PM
BTW, why do you think Jesus is lost?

Um...

What?

Where did that come from? Did I write something about Jesus being lost? Or is "Jesus" a fabled anti-Semitic poster's user name on this site or something?

Tarlam!
07-13-2011, 01:41 AM
Um...

What?

Where did that come from? Did I write something about Jesus being lost? Or is "Jesus" a fabled anti-Semitic poster's user name on this site or something?

Come on, man. When you say "or some other bullshit" about any religon, you're offending people. This isn't FYI. We debate football here so, I won't push the point. I compliment Rand on his moderation.

MJZiggy
07-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Ben Roethlisberger's?
Ray Lewis'
Donte Stallworth's?
Fred Evan's?
Ricky Mannings'?

No, it wasn't at all. But right now he's one instance from getting thrown out of the league for good under the substance abuse policy.

ThunderDan
07-13-2011, 08:41 AM
Um...

What?

Do you really not get the joke?

You said maybe he will find Jesus. Why do you need to find something unless it is lost?

It's a play on words. Lighten up it will do us all good.

mraynrand
07-13-2011, 09:00 AM
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/goldenpuppiescopy.jpg

TennesseePackerBacker
07-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Moral crusaders!!!! My first post in months and this is what I wasted it on.

Jesus, find me.

On a football related note, I agree with Patler. Consuming a little purple drank is no worse than sexual assault, or beating ones spouse, girlfriend, or baby's momma.

Fritz
07-13-2011, 10:03 AM
I have a feeling the Pack might not cut him. As Patler said, the team, including MM, seems to like the guy and think he's really not evil, just kinda easily influenced (or, you could say, not too smart about his own life). If they think he can be a good soldier for the season, and if he's reinstated, they could keep the guy.

He's a different case than Brandon Underwood, who seems destined to be cut even before the ink is dry on the new CBA.

Pugger
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
I have a feeling the Pack might not cut him. As Patler said, the team, including MM, seems to like the guy and think he's really not evil, just kinda easily influenced (or, you could say, not too smart about his own life). If they think he can be a good soldier for the season, and if he's reinstated, they could keep the guy.

He's a different case than Brandon Underwood, who seems destined to be cut even before the ink is dry on the new CBA.

Of course we'll have to see if Goodell lifts Jolly's suspension after a CBA is reached this summer...

get louder at lambeau
07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Do you really not get the joke?

You said maybe he will find Jesus. Why do you need to find something unless it is lost?

It's a play on words. Lighten up it will do us all good.

Right over my head. The serious first sentence had me taking the second sentence the same way, I guess. My bad.

When you think of it that way- "finding Jesus", he doesn't need to be lost either. He could be hiding.

hoosier
07-13-2011, 01:24 PM

True that, but if the Packers were not already stacked at CB, or if Underwood had a little more Tramon Williams in him, I bet we might be hearing about how Brandon is really a good guy at heart, how he loves to play the game, and how they just need to keep him out of trouble (aka Wisconsin Dells) :-)

sharpe1027
07-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Does it cost the Packers anything to keep him while he is suspended? If not, they might as well take a wait-and-see approach. If he's not suspended, it doesn't make sense a whole lot of sense to straight cut him. You would think another team would give up something for him.

get louder at lambeau
07-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Does it cost the Packers anything to keep him while he is suspended?

Nope.

MadScientist
07-13-2011, 02:48 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's?
Ray Lewis'
Donte Stallworth's?
Fred Evan's?
Ricky Mannings'?

Worse? Not by a long shot, but he can't stay clean. He was arrested once, failed drug tests twice leading to a year long suspension, and while on suspension and probation, gets arrested for the same damn thing. He is either too addicted to the stuff for treatment to work, or is unwilling to do what he needs to do to stay clean. He might get reinstated in another year, but after 2 years out and repeat offenses, who will want to take a chance.

sharpe1027
07-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's?
Ray Lewis'
Donte Stallworth's?
Fred Evan's?
Ricky Mannings'?

Worse in what sense? Philosophically? Socially? Legally? Monetarily? Harm to others? Harm to the NFL? According to fans personal opinions? According to Goodell's personal opinion? :)

The NFL sets its own policy for what is worse. I don't know too much about what their basis is, but whether or not it is "worse" in some abstract sense is certainly not their only consideration.

Fritz
07-13-2011, 04:25 PM
True that, but if the Packers were not already stacked at CB, or if Underwood had a little more Tramon Williams in him, I bet we might be hearing about how Brandon is really a good guy at heart, how he loves to play the game, and how they just need to keep him out of trouble (aka Wisconsin Dells) :-)

You cynic! Everyone's just looking out for these guys' best interest!

bobblehead
07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Ben Roethlisberger's?
Ray Lewis'
Donte Stallworth's?
Fred Evan's?
Ricky Mannings'?

About the same, no, no, no, who is fred evans, and no. I guess you make a good point, JJ was made whipping boy for hurting himself, while others get a pass on hurting others.

bobblehead
07-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Moral crusaders!!!! My first post in months and this is what I wasted it on.

Jesus, find me.

On a football related note, I agree with Patler. Consuming a little purple drank is no worse than sexual assault, or beating ones spouse, girlfriend, or baby's momma.

I'm not convinced. In Iraq beating ones spouse would be considered ones right (under Partial and Hoosiers definition of "right")

mraynrand
07-14-2011, 10:31 AM
As part of the collective bargaining agreement , all future rules violations will be handled by James Harrison.

MJZiggy
07-14-2011, 10:37 AM
As part of the collective bargaining agreement , all future rules violations will be handled by James Harrison.

As part of the collective bargaining agreement, James Harrison can't hit anyone. Ever. For any reason.

bobblehead
07-14-2011, 04:25 PM
As part of the collective bargaining agreement, James Harrison can't hit anyone. Ever. For any reason.

And Lillian can not use the phone....ever again.

Joemailman
07-14-2011, 08:27 PM

Deion Sanders would have loved that rule.

TennesseePackerBacker
07-15-2011, 07:16 PM
I'm not convinced. In Iraq beating ones spouse would be considered ones right (under Partial and Hoosiers definition of "right")

Good thing they don't play American football in Iraq. Or maybe that's a bad thing..

hoosier
09-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Per Chicago Tribune (always a fun read the day after a Bears loss), both Jolly and Underwood have been sent to the principal's office and are facing discipline for last summer's transgressions. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/la-sp-nfl-suspensions-20110926,0,1283264.story

pbmax
09-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Where did they find a Solomon to determine who gets disciplined and who gets a "get out of doghouse free card"? Eight players subjected to Personal Conduct Policy during a lockout and 24 are scot-free.

At least now I know why Benson is suing: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/25/cedric-benson-files-unfair-labor-practice-charge-against-nflpa/

hoosier
09-26-2011, 03:24 PM
The Tribune says (unsourced) that the NFLPA basically threw them under the bus:

The NFL and NFL Players Assn. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/career-workplace/unions/national-football-league-players-association-ORSPT00000409.topic) previously agreed those eight players could be disciplined, the AP reported, while 25 other players who got in trouble during the lockout would not be.

Looking at the eight who are about to be spanked, I am guessing that past history and previous run-ins with the principal had a lot to do with it. But without knowing who the other 25 are, hard to say what the exact criteria were.

mraynrand
09-26-2011, 03:56 PM
The other players reportedly subject to suspension are Cincinnati's Adam "Pacman" Jones and three Arizona players: Clark Haggans, Brandon Underwood and Johnny Jolly.

I missed Jolly going to Arizona. I could have helped him load up the U haul.

Guiness
09-26-2011, 05:11 PM
I missed Jolly going to Arizona. I could have helped him load up the U haul.

Pretty sure that was just some sloppy punctuation. He hasn't been reinstated, so I'm pretty sure he can't be traded, released, etc. I don't think Arizona signed Underwood either. It's not in the 'former Packers around the league' thread, so it didn't happen!

Joemailman
09-26-2011, 05:31 PM
Bengals will be pissed if Arizona beat them to Jolly.

hoosier
10-03-2011, 08:16 AM
Busted yet again this weekend, this time for possession and "tampering with evidence" (knowing Jolly's drug preferences, that probably means drinking it). I suppose this means we can put the "When does Jolly get reinstated?" questions to bed for good. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130967613.html

pbmax
10-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Makes me wonder if the Packers concern about Jolly weren't really about the kinds of people he was hanging out with, but with the kinds of drugs he was using.

gbgary
10-03-2011, 09:37 AM
saw this news on a tweet this morning. disappointing to say the least.

MadScientist
10-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Makes me wonder if the Packers concern about Jolly weren't really about the kinds of people he was hanging out with, but with the kinds of drugs he was using.
According to JSOnline, the drug was codine again, and the tampering was trying to hide it. 100% dumb ass. Yes addiction is a disease, but not getting proper treatment and sticking to it when the disease is causing you to throw your life away is the sign of a dumb ass.

red
10-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Busted yet again this weekend, this time for possession and "tampering with evidence" (knowing Jolly's drug preferences, that probably means drinking it). I suppose this means we can put the "When does Jolly get reinstated?" questions to bed for good. http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130967613.html

GOD DAMNIT

what is with this guy?

cut the cord with this asshole

Guiness
10-03-2011, 01:00 PM
I guess the 'faint hope' clause some of us were holding on to with this guy is done.

It was said earlier in the thread, this is really too sad, you can't help but feel bad for this guy. He sure didn't come off as a hard case, was actually very quiet while he was in GB player. It seems like he's either got a bad addiction and/or does not have the willpower to say no. I would guess friends and family are being the opposite of supportive. The guy was oh-so close to a lucrative second contract. I wonder why the team never got him help? They might have tried and we just never heard about it.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 01:13 PM
GOD DAMNIT

what is with this guy?

cut the cord with this asshole

Asshole? I don't see it. He has an addiction, and couldn't/wouldn't get the help he needed.

I'm probably softer on this because I've seen something similar first hand. I know someone who had an accident on his bicycle as a teenager, and ended up in the hospital getting plastic surgery - more than 10 sessions. Came out with a painkiller addiction (morphine and demerol) and turned to soft drugs as a replacement. Luckily it didn't go farther, and he was able to control it. He was more lucky than good in not getting caught, because he was doing some small time selling for a while but never got caught. Plus, we don't have a 'war on drugs' in Canada, so it didn't cause the problems it could have.

Jolly was a defensive linemen, those guys and many other football players live with pain every day, the most recent example is the book about Walter Payton. And let's not forget Favre. The difference with Jolly seems to be that he's real good at getting caught.

mraynrand
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
The difference with Jolly seems to be that he's real good at getting caught.

And maybe that he's really, really hooked. God help him if he is. God help him anyway.

hoosier
10-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Asshole? I don't see it. He has an addiction, and couldn't/wouldn't get the help he needed.

I'm probably softer on this because I've seen something similar first hand. I know someone who had an accident on his bicycle as a teenager, and ended up in the hospital getting plastic surgery - more than 10 sessions. Came out with a painkiller addiction (morphine and demerol) and turned to soft drugs as a replacement. Luckily it didn't go farther, and he was able to control it. He was more lucky than good in not getting caught, because he was doing some small time selling for a while but never got caught. Plus, we don't have a 'war on drugs' in Canada, so it didn't cause the problems it could have.

Jolly was a defensive linemen, those guys and many other football players live with pain every day, the most recent example is the book about Walter Payton. And let's not forget Favre. The difference with Jolly seems to be that he's real good at getting caught.

Don't disagree. And excellent use of the past tense.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Don't disagree. And excellent use of the past tense.

Yes, was a defensive lineman, but any pain associated with it probably doesn't go away. Again, to look at a notable example, like Payton, according to the book he continued to use Vicodin and Tylenol (so, codeine...) in retirement. Could have been an addiction, or pain that didn't go away when he stopped playing.

My older boy is coming to an age when football starts to get serious, and I'm not sure how excited I am about him playing, especially if they're going to be at a position that will get them banged up every play. I played into university, but was lean and fast, played CB and free safety. My older boy is thicker and lacks the foot speed, so would probably be a fullback or LB. I loved it, and escaped serious injury, would he? I wonder how some of my former teammates are doing. I know some of them chewed Tylenol's during games and at practice.

edit:
Wow, reading that back reminded me - I came pretty close to something serious. Was getting bad headaches and soreness in fall camp. I thought it was from the hitting and two-a-days. I took some Tylenol 3's. Headaches didn't go away, I soldiered through as much as I could. Collapsed on the way to the bathroom one night, my roommates threw me into the car and took me to the hospital. Turns out I had meningitis, spent 2-3 weeks in the hospital. Obviously, it wasn't the football that caused the problem, but the pain killers put me in a bad spot.

pbmax
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, reading that back reminded me - I came pretty close to something serious. Was getting bad headaches and soreness in fall camp. I thought it was from the hitting and two-a-days. I took some Tylenol 3's. Headaches didn't go away, I soldiered through as much as I could. Collapsed on the way to the bathroom one night, my roommates threw me into the car and took me to the hospital. Turns out I had meningitis, spent 2-3 weeks in the hospital. Obviously, it wasn't the football that caused the problem, but the pain killers put me in a bad spot.

Meningitis has become more common at Universities in the States, too. Every year there are stories of people who were fine, felt ill for a couple of days and then were in serious trouble. The worst cases are obviously the ones that did not seek treatment quickly. Its bacterial meningitis, if memory serves.

smuggler
10-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Stuff like that takes a toll on your body in the long term, both football and codeine. Yet one is restricted and one is idolized.

Guiness
10-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Meningitis has become more common at Universities in the States, too. Every year there are stories of people who were fine, felt ill for a couple of days and then were in serious trouble. The worst cases are obviously the ones that did not seek treatment quickly. Its bacterial meningitis, if memory serves.

It wasn't all that common back then, and I was somewhat lucky it was diagnosed, because the doctors in emerg were certainly not looking for it. All I remember is being woozy and in pain, getting rushed into a room and shortly after being told to grab my ankles! (a spinal tap before the snide comments start). I had been in another city on co-op placement, and about the time I came down with it there was an outbreak there - there were 5-6 deaths IIRC.

red
10-03-2011, 02:34 PM

see, but he's not doing it because he's in pain. if he was then he would be popping prescription pills not cough medicine. him and his buddies are doing this for the nice buzz

he got caught and put on probation, he gets caught again before his probation ends, then gets caught again before his court case for the previous offense. i got no sympathy for that kind of stupidity

not only did he flush his career down the shitter, he also let down all his teamates and fans