PDA

View Full Version : TOP UNDRAFTED PLAYERS FOR TT TO SIGN WISHLIST

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Yo, let's start talking some ball

When the floodgates open, TT will certainly be pursuing a wishlist of undrafted rookies.

Tyrone Williams, and Sam Shields (who Bretsky liked .....and Joe Whitt recently said could turn into one of the top CB's in the league over the next few years) are examples of gems that can be found

So it's time to get refocused on football and posting some guys you'd LOVE to see TT bring in for a shot

Post your wishlist along with highlights of that player if you choose

Start your engines gang.......the blonde haired hottie in the seductive referee outfit is about the wave the flag.........

LET THE NFL RACE BEGIN !!!!

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 12:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns96HB21Um4&feature=related

Derrick Locke; here's that undersized speedster who can catch the ball and find space on third downs. Awesome speed. Little man; great change of speed back.

Get er done TT

Lurker64
07-16-2011, 01:53 PM
Don't think we sign Locke, we have a bunch of RBs and TT doesn't really like the small short ones to begin with.

The guy I really like is Joe Lefeged safety out of Ruttgers, he's a little undersized but the kid is a playmaker and we need a fourth safety anyway.

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
Don't think we sign Locke, we have a bunch of RBs and TT doesn't really like the small short ones to begin with.

The guy I really like is Joe Lefeged safety out of Ruttgers, he's a little undersized but the kid is a playmaker and we need a fourth safety anyway.

To be honest I really like Lefeged as well.
Here are some tidbits

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=2&cid=515857&nid=2487795&fhn=1&pg=4&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frecruiting.scout.com%2fa .z%3fs%3d73%26p%3d9%26c%3d2%26cid%3d515857%26nid%3 d2487795%26fhn%3d1%26pg%3d4

Lefeged is a linebacker by trait, but will likely be a safety at the next level. He will improve on his coverage skills, but he needs no help on run support. The kid will hit anything in an opposite colored jersey. he moves very well frm sideline-to-sideline and makes plays all over the field.

Scouting Report: Joe Lefeged, Rutgers

NFL position: S

Height: 5-11 5/8

Weight: 210

40 time: 4.42

Current projection: Fourth-round pick

Strengths: Lefeged is a fast, athletic safety who is productive in run support and pass coverage. Reads the quarterback well in deep pass coverage and reacts well to stay with receivers. Covers tight ends well in man coverage and does a good job picking up receivers on drag routes; able to make tackle right after the catch. Is an impact special teams player, mostly on kickoffs.

Weaknesses: Is not consistent. Does not come up fast in run support and seems willing to let teammates make the tackle. Has a bad habit of slowing before contact in run support instead of delivering a blow. Because he ducks his head, sometimes misses tackles.

Bottom line: Lefeged does not make a lot of tackles in run support, but he is a good coverage safety who should be an impact special teams player. He is likely to be a backup safety and special teams player in the NFL initially. However, he should be a starter if he improves in run support and becomes a more consistent tackler.

— Russ Lande, War Room scouts

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-12/scouting-report-rutgers-s-joe-lefeged#ixzz1SIU1L3JU

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 02:18 PM
ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO CHEER FOR THIS GUY AND IT"D BE AWESOME IF TT OR ANYBODY GAVE HIM A SHOT

5. Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College: If Herzlich would have been available in the 2009 draft, he would have been a top 10 or 15 pick. In May of 2009, Herzlich was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer, and after missing the entire season, returned to the field in 2010. Herzlich participated in practice just three times before playing in Boston College's 2010 season opener. He's a strong player (29 bench-press reps at the combine), and is very good at diagnosing plays (his four interceptions are evidence of that ability). He's a special player as far as work habits, and appears to slowly be regaining his speed and quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ino7sWKItMY

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 02:24 PM
MISSOURI CENTER...........TIM BARNES..................Le'ts take a flyer; get er done TT

As far as what Barnes brings to the table, he has decent size for a center at 6'4", 300 lbs, to go along with outstanding footwork, balance, and hands. He was a big part of the reason the Tiger offensive line was such a dominating force in 2010, as he served as the unit's anchor. As a guard, Barnes is still big enough, though he's just average in terms of bulk for the position. The real question for Barnes playing at a guard spot will be whether or not he's strong enough to consistently force open the inside lanes. Technique and agility are king at the center position, and that's where Barnes excels, using his skill to make up for being a bit undersized; guards usually rely more on their strength to hit opposing defensive lineman and drive them back and out of the running lanes. Whether Barnes has that ability to overpower and push back an onrushing D-lineman remains to be seen. Shutting down a beast like Jerrell Powe (6'3", 322), certainly helps make Barnes's case, though.

There should be some concern about Barnes transitioning to a pro-style offense, as he's been part of spread offenses his entire career at Mizzou. It's always a worry for teams when drafting a quarterback, and I have to think the adjustment is something you have to look at for a center as well. Certainly not as big a concern, of course, as it is with a quarterback, but it is a change in the snaps, as well as the blocking scheme. Still, I imagine good coaching could easily smooth over any transitional pains.

Depending on how Barnes performs at the various pro day workouts and draft functions over the next couple of months leading up to the draft itself, he could go as high as the third round or as low as the sixth. I'll admit I would like to see him playing for the Rams in the future; I can't help but root for a local kid to get a chance to play for the hometown team. (Well, he's from Longwood, which is closer to KC than St. Louis, so the Chiefs would probably be more of a hometown team, but still.) He could represent a major upgrade for the Rams at an area of need as well, making it a win-win situation for all involved.

red
07-16-2011, 02:33 PM
its been so god damn long since the draft that i don't even have a clue who's available anymore

red
07-16-2011, 02:36 PM
ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO CHEER FOR THIS GUY AND IT"D BE AWESOME IF TT OR ANYBODY GAVE HIM A SHOT

5. Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College: If Herzlich would have been available in the 2009 draft, he would have been a top 10 or 15 pick. In May of 2009, Herzlich was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer, and after missing the entire season, returned to the field in 2010. Herzlich participated in practice just three times before playing in Boston College's 2010 season opener. He's a strong player (29 bench-press reps at the combine), and is very good at diagnosing plays (his four interceptions are evidence of that ability). He's a special player as far as work habits, and appears to slowly be regaining his speed and quickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ino7sWKItMY

it really shocked me that no one took a late round flyer on this guy. would he be an OLB or ILB for us?

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 03:30 PM
I think he goes inside in our system; honestly you give him a shot and in all probablity he's a PS guy and develops

Lurker64
07-16-2011, 03:31 PM
it really shocked me that no one took a late round flyer on this guy. would he be an OLB or ILB for us?

ILB. The whole reason that nobody took a shot on him in the late rounds is that his play on the field last year (after coming back form cancer) just didn't merit being drafted in the NFL, and there's serious concern that that's all he has left to give physically (I mean, he does now have a titanium rod in his leg where some bone used to be.)

Before he was diagnosed with cancer, he was a sure-fire top 10 pick. But after coming back, he just didn't play at a draftable level.

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 04:39 PM
he showed plenty of improvement

I hope more provide some lists

Last year we identified Shields fairly early and feel in love with his speed

I see a lot of decent players from this group but from what I see not many have the upside Shields had

There are several safeties that are still pretty good who went undrafted

Lurker64
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
I have a feeling that we're going to sign that Mark Schiechl kid, the DE out of the Colorado School of Mines that set the DII sack record to play OLB for us. We certainly worked him out at every opportunity, so he's ours if we want him.

I do not think we'll go after that CSM "juiced out of his mind" NT though.

Bretsky
07-16-2011, 05:04 PM
I'd think a DE would have a good opportunity to make this squad
If Jenkins comes back there are spots available. Not remotely sold on Wynn
and Justine is a camp body at this point

Lurker64
07-16-2011, 06:06 PM
I'd think a DE would have a good opportunity to make this squad
If Jenkins comes back there are spots available. Not remotely sold on Wynn
and Justine is a camp body at this point

For 5-techs, I like Brandon Bair out of Oregon. Doesn't have the arm-length that's ideal, but he's a big kid who's mature, consistent, and hard working.

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 09:50 AM
A COUPLE MORE INTRUIGING ONES

Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware
After being compared to ex-teammate Joe Flacco for a large part of the draft process, Devlin was largely a disappointment and now finds himself hoping to sign onto a team as a developmental quarterback. He has the size standing at 6 ft 3, 225 pounds, but his average arm strength and inaccuracy were likely contributors to his slip on draft day. Devlin will likely find his way onto a team as a 3rd quarterback and will have to work his way up from there. Look for a team like the Miami Dolphins to take a run at Devlin in free agency.

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 09:52 AM
Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU
Jake Kirkpatrick won the Rimington award in 2010 which is awarded to the best center in division 1 football. Despite his prestigious award, he was not invited to the NFL Combine and he ended up not getting drafted. Nevertheless, don’t count out Kirkpatrick. He is a tough, sturdy center who could start for some team down the road. I think that someday down the road, he could potentially join the club of undrafted free agents who turn into pro bowlers. He did a very good job against 1st round draft pick Phil Taylor in the TCU vs Baylor game last year. The Cowboys are a team to look out for, but the Colts could give them a run for their money.

David Mims, OT, Virginia Union
David Mims was gaining a lot of traction during the draft process. He was labeled a sleeper by many scouts and his stock was on the rise. So it was surprising when he went undrafted on draft day. He comes in at 6 ft 8, 335 pounds with a huge 36 7/8 arm length. He can play tackle or guard. Mims will likely get plenty of attention when free agency opens and I expect him to go to a team like Detroit who showed interest in him before the draft.

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 09:54 AM
For 5-techs, I like Brandon Bair out of Oregon. Doesn't have the arm-length that's ideal, but he's a big kid who's mature, consistent, and hard working.

Brandon Bair, DE, Oregon

Brandon Bair started off his collegiate career at tight end, but was quickly moved to the defensive line while redshirting in 2006. He picked up the tackle position quite well, but still failed to crack the starting lineup as an underclassman. It was in 2008 when Bair moved from the outside of the defensive line to the inside. He played quite well at both spots in a reserve role and was ready to take over a starting gig in 2009.
Bair was a staple on the defensive line during his junior campaign and led all Oregon linemen with 45 tackles. Bair was also a very productive player on special teams and proved to be in great condition since he took part in so many plays. In 2010 it was the Ducks offense that got all the credit, but Bair led a surprisingly productive defense. Bair totaled an impressive 47 tackles, including 16.0 tackles-for-loss and 3.0 sacks. Bair also used his long 6-6 frame to break up eight passes.

Bair would probably be a mid-round selection if he had a definitive position in the NFL. He has good quickness and strength, but he does not seem to have enough speed to play on the end in the NFL or enough strength to play at defensive tackle. He is also 26 years old and that has some teams backing away from a player who may need some time to turn into a productive end or tackle.

Patler
07-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Any player who has confidence in himself, who truly believes he is an overlooked talent with NFL ability, would be a fool if he passed on an offer from the Packers. The Packers reputation and actual history for giving any player a chance has to be among the best in the league. Not uncommon at all for one or two undrafted rookies to make the team, and not just to take up a spot, but to actually contribute. Last year three made it and two played prominent roles.

Clearly their status as undrafted means nothing to TT and MM when evaluating them on the field. A player can't ask for anything more than that.

vince
07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Excellent point Patler. The Packers can find and develop raw talent with the best of them.

I wonder whether or how much that might be offset at this stage in the team's evolution by UDFA's (and/or their agents) also looking at depth charts to gauge which teams their guys will have the best chance to stick on. It seems like it may be more difficult for these guys to make the Packers' team in the next few years. I'm not sure the team has ever been deeper.

Patler
07-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Excellent point Patler. The Packers can find and develop raw talent with the best of them.

I wonder whether or how much that might be offset at this stage in the team's evolution by UDFA's (and/or their agents) also looking at depth charts to gauge which teams their guys will have the best chance to stick on. It seems like it may be more difficult for these guys to make the Packers' team in the next few years. I'm not sure the team has ever been deeper.

As deep as the Packers are, except for one position, there are still openings for players with real potential anywhere else:

QB - need one now, two after Flynn leaves.
WR - need one for Jones, Swain is replaceable for anyone with ability. Draft probably supplied one.
O-line - always room for a good one when you keep 9 or 10.
RB - this could be the one depth chart that will be hard to crack. Someone would have to play themselves off the roster, or be hurt.
TE - lots of candidates, but no one with a proven track record behind Finley. A performer could stick very easily.

D-line - room for 1 or 2
Linebacker - like the o line, there is always room to keep a good one when you have that many
CB - still looking for this year's Shields. #4 and #5 spots are wide open.
safety - wide open for the #4 spot.

pbmax
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
As deep as the Packers are, except for one position, there are still openings for players with real potential anywhere else:

QB - need one now, two after Flynn leaves.
WR - need one for Jones, Swain is replaceable for anyone with ability. Draft probably supplied one.
O-line - always room for a good one when you keep 9 or 10.
RB - this could be the one depth chart that will be hard to crack. Someone would have to play themselves off the roster, or be hurt.
TE - lots of candidates, but no one with a proven track record behind Finley. A performer could stick very easily.

D-line - room for 1 or 2
Linebacker - like the o line, there is always room to keep a good one when you have that many
CB - still looking for this year's Shields. #4 and #5 spots are wide open.
safety - wide open for the #4 spot.

The overriding factor has to be the depth chart after the financial offer. While the player might have preferences, the agent knows where the most open slots exist. Several UnFAs have said the definitive factor was the depth chart (I think Shields mentioned this last year).

It would be intriguing to know whether past success with UnFAs would break ties when the offer was the same. I wonder where the Packers rank?

vince
07-17-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure I'd agree with all those "openings." There are certainly openings at the practice squad level, but I'd say the Packers have to be right up there at the top of the league in terms of talent across the board all the way through 53.

Patler
07-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure I'd agree with all those "openings." There are certainly openings at the practice squad level, but I'd say the Packers have to be right up there at the top of the league in terms of talent across the board all the way through 53.

Which position other than RB do you contest? The only other one is maybe WR, if Jones return. Swain is nothing special. Keeping Jones is not impossible, but unlikely.

There is easily an opening at any other position for a player with real potential. Now if he is looking for a squad that will be easy to make, GB isn't it. But if he is looking for a real chance to show what he has, GB is a good option for just about any player because he will be given a chance. I can find a "hole" in the 53 man depth chart just about anywhere.

Besides, an UDRFA should be happing with a PS spot if it is a team that has a history of truly developing and using those players.

RashanGary
07-17-2011, 01:24 PM
TE would be a tough make. I know the Packers like Crabtree as a blocker / ST player. Finley and DJ Williams are sure locks. Quarless has some potential.

But yeah, just about every position has a wide open back end roster spot and the Packers are very open minded as far as not considering undrafted guys camp bodies.

Patler
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
TE would be a tough make. I know the Packers like Crabtree as a blocker / ST player. Finley and DJ Williams are sure locks. Quarless has some potential.

But yeah, just about every position has a wide open back end roster spot and the Packers are very open minded as far as not considering undrafted guys camp bodies.

The certainly have a bunch at TE, don't they? :lol:

There are things to like about each, and several certainly have potential; but I don't think they would shed a tear over letting any of them go for a guy with size, blocking ability and potential as a receiver. They like Crabtree, but a bigger Crabtree, or one with better potential as a receiver could displace Crabtree fairly easily, I think.

vince
07-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't want to polarize my opinion too much, because I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying about a player with potential sticking on this team. It'll probably happen again this year. And I am certainly not arguing that Thomspon and Co. isn't or shouldn't work hard to scout and bring these guys in. But there isn't an undrafted guy who doesn't have holes in their "potential" that you can't point to.

QB - possibly 1, but they have a guy they're already grooming that they've said they like
WR - they have Chastin West that they're grooming who has a lot of potential
TE - they just drafted two guys who have more "potential" than any undrafted guy
D-Line - Good luck for any available udfa beating out Wilson, Wynn and Guy in terms of potential
LB - They just drafted an ILB and an OLB who likely have more potential than any udfa
CB - ditto on a draft pick (House), plus Gordy, who has flashed potential and has all the measurables.

I'm not saying any of these guys are infallible, but neither are any of the udfa's. Notwithstanding the Packers history in giving these guys a real opportunity, I'd bet there are teams with more opportunity for these guys at every position. Nonetheless, the Packers reputation here has to be a real selling point.

Fritz
07-17-2011, 05:42 PM
I think if you're a QB you'd have to take a look at GB. Apparently MM can groom 'em, and Flynn will be gone soon enough. Who are you competing with? Graham Harrell?

vince
07-17-2011, 05:50 PM
I'm sure they'll bring at least one in. My money's on Harrell to beat them out.

Patler
07-17-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't want to polarize my opinion too much, because I don't necessarily disagree with what you're saying about a player with potential sticking on this team. It'll probably happen again this year. And I am certainly not arguing that Thomspon and Co. isn't or shouldn't work hard to scout and bring these guys in. But there isn't an undrafted guy who doesn't have holes in their "potential" that you can't point to.

QB - possibly 1, but they have a guy they're already grooming that they've said they like
WR - they have Chastin West that they're grooming who has a lot of potential
TE - they just drafted two guys who have more "potential" than any undrafted guy
D-Line - Good luck for any available udfa beating out Wilson, Wynn and Guy in terms of potential
LB - They just drafted an ILB and an OLB who likely have more potential than any udfa
CB - ditto on a draft pick (House), plus Gordy, who has flashed potential and has all the measurables.

I'm not saying any of these guys are infallible, but neither are any of the udfa's. Notwithstanding the Packers history in giving these guys a real opportunity, I'd bet there are teams with more opportunity for these guys at every position. Nonetheless, the Packers reputation here has to be a real selling point.

If I'm a QB, I would say "yes" to GB if they asked me to play for free. I would be more than happy to sit on the PS and wait for Flynn to leave.

If I'm a WR and didn't think I could beat out Chastin West, I would be polishing my academic resume, because any NFL paycheck would be a gift.

TEs? - That's the beauty of the Packers. They don't seem to care where you came from once you get to camp. Drafted, undrafted, big school, small school, it doesn't matter. PRODUCE on the field and they will give you the opportunity. Now if the player himself is intimidated by the "potential" of the drafted TEs, he needs to look for other work. The fact is, behind Finley no one has a spot for certain.

Wynn on the D-line? The Packers cut him last year and re-signed him when the injuries hit. His spot is ripe for taking.

Same for most of the others you mentioned. Sure the Packers have guys they are "grooming". That's is simply necessary. You train who you have. You encourage them. But, if another player shows a bit more potential I think the Packers would be more than happy to make a change.

If the FA is looking for a roster with no names penciled in the depth chart, he won't find it. There are always names, you just have to replace them. The Packers will give him an honest chance to do it. Shields came in behind Williams, Woodson, Lee, Underwood and Bush; with Harris on the mend. Maybe behind Bell, too who had played a fair amount the end of '09. All guys who were drafted and/or had experience. He leaped over all but the first two. Why couldn't an unheralded small school TE do the same? What is really ahead of him?

vince
07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
No one argued there are any teams that don't have names on the depth chart. The point is some teams' roster depth is more difficult to replace than other teams'. The Packers are at or very near the top of that list right now.

vince
07-17-2011, 08:07 PM
BTW, check out Chastin West's bio. He's a big possession receiver who runs a 4.5 but he's every bit as impressive as any UDFA that's available right now, and he's got a year of grooming on the Packers' roster. Sure I might think I can beat hm out. Doesn't mean I will. Like Harrell, I'll take him over any UDFA available to make the Packers roster this year.

Patler
07-17-2011, 08:17 PM
No one argued there are any teams that don't have names on the depth chart. The point is some teams' roster depth is more difficult to replace than other teams'. The Packers are at or very near the top of that list right now.

Yes, but my point is that even IF they are the deepest team in the league, that depth rarely extends to the last name on the depth chart at any position. Those guys are imminently replaceable even on the Packers.

Patler
07-17-2011, 08:27 PM
BTW, check out Chastin West's bio. He's a big possession receiver who runs a 4.5 but he's every bit as impressive as any UDFA that's available right now, and he's got a year of grooming on the Packers' roster. Sure I might think I can beat hm out. Doesn't mean I will. Like Harrell, I'll take him over any UDFA available to make the Packers roster this year.

Don't have to check his bio, I was one of the people talking about him last year.
But guess what? Chastin West was one of those undrafted rookie free agents the Packers signed last year. Now he is automatically that much better than any undrafted rookie free agent they want to sign this year? Why?

My point is simple. The Packers will sign a small handful of guys they really think have potential. They have a history of keeping some most years. If the Packers came to me with an offer, I would assume it is because they think I have the potential to compete against the ones they already have at my position. Coupled with the fact they usually keep some, that would be enough to say GB is a good opportunity.

Patler
07-17-2011, 08:31 PM
These guys are long shots to make ANY team. At least the Packers give them legitimate chances to do it, and aren't scared off just because they were undrafted.

MJZiggy
07-17-2011, 08:38 PM
These guys are long shots to make ANY team. At least the Packers give them legitimate chances to do it, and aren't scared off just because they were undrafted.

That's one thing I really like about this management. They don't care how you got here, just what you do once you arrive.

RashanGary
07-17-2011, 08:41 PM
Antonio Gates and James Harrison are big name undrafted guys.

But jsut with the Packers. . . Cullen Jenkins, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Kuhn and others. . .

Like Patler said originally, the Packers have decent players, but if you're an undrafted free agent and you think you're good, the Packers is the place to be. Jenkins, Tramon, Shields, Kuhn. . . . Guys like that. They'll make this team.

Patler
07-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Antonio Gates and James Harrison are big name undrafted guys.

But jsut with the Packers. . . Cullen Jenkins, Tramon Williams, Sam Shields, Kuhn and others. . .

Like Patler said originally, the Packers have decent players, but if you're an undrafted free agent and you think you're good, the Packers is the place to be. Jenkins, Tramon, Shields, Kuhn. . . . Guys like that. They'll make this team.

Don't want to nitpick, but I can't stop myself! John Kuhn spent two years in Pittsburgh after they originally signed him as an undrafted rookie. He was released but later signed to their PS toward the end of the season. The next year he was on their PS again, but then signed to the regular roster. His third year they cut him at the final cut down and the Packers picked him up.

A name you forgot is Zombo last year. Given an opportunity not only to make the team, but to start. McDonald too was undrafted, but made the 53.

vince
07-17-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't disagree with much of any of that, other than to reiterate that it looks like it's going to be more difficult this year to make this team than ever before for any UDFA added to the roster.

RashanGary
07-17-2011, 09:08 PM
I don't disagree with much of any of that, other than to reiterate that it looks like it's going to be more difficult this year to make this team than ever before for any UDFA added to the roster.

CB, QB, S would be the positions I think would be most likely to come to GB. TE, WR, RB, FB would be the least.

OLB or ILB wouldn't be horrible fits. It's not like we have some star 4th OLB or once Barnett is gone it's not like we have a star 4th ILB either.

A high potential QB, even if he sat on our practice squad. . . . GB would be the ultimate place to be. I don't know if there are many training grounds better than GB for a high potential, raw QB. After AR tearing it up in the post season and Flynn really looking strong in the regular season, I think agents are on notice. If you have a QB who thinks he has it, GB is the place to be.

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't have to check his bio, I was one of the people talking about him last year.But guess what? Chastin West was one of those undrafted rookie free agents the Packers signed last year. Now he is automatically that much better than any undrafted rookie free agent they want to sign this year? Why?

K.O.D.= Kiss of Death

MJZiggy
07-17-2011, 10:40 PM
K.O.D.= Kiss of Death

His name's not Bretsky. Patler liking a guy doesn't have the same implications it does with you, cuz you're special...

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 11:06 PM
His name's not Bretsky. Patler liking a guy doesn't have the same implications it does with you, cuz you're special...

Go tell that to the last guy on the practice squad he was hyping :)

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 11:07 PM

speaking of....I really liked Jerry Hughes coming out of college. Huge disappointment with the Colts last year and was just arrested for public intoxication

smuggler
07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm in that boat with you, Bretsky. Hughes was the guy I was hoping for that year.

Bretsky
07-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Last year I really liked Hughes as an option although Buluga was a no brainer

This year I really like Brooks Reed.

OK, it's time for TT to go on his undrafted free agent spree

Anybody with stones want to list some others or make some predictions on who TT signs next week ??????????????????????????????

vince
07-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Regarding undrafted guys TT will sign, I'd have to go over to Football's Future or somewhere to find some names to hang up and throw darts at. #clueless

Joemailman
07-24-2011, 11:09 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/15008583/when-lockout-ends-these-undrafted-players-will-get-calls

1. DT Ian Williams, Notre Dame

Williams fought through injury in 2010, missing time with a knee injury, but his toughness and hustle from the interior could allow him to contribute for a long time as a solid, if not overly flashy, 4-3 nose tackle/one-technique.

2. WR Terrance Toliver, LSU

Toliver's tape isn't superior, but his size/speed combination still typically earns an SEC receiver some sort of draft slot. He also looked good at the end of the season and at the East-West Shrine Game. He should latch on with a team interested in a vertical route runner with enough size to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks.

3. QB Pat Devlin, Delaware

The Penn State transfer did not impress scouts with his arm strength at the East-West Shrine Game or his pro day, but his performance was not so poor that most didn't expect him to be drafted late. Though he ran primarily out of shotgun for the Blue Hens, he came out from under center at Penn State and has the size, athleticism and intelligence to stick on a roster as a backup or potential spot starter.

4. CB Ryan Jones, Northwest Missouri State

It was surprising that a solid cornerback who produced for a powerhouse Division II program and who blew up his pro day (40-inch vertical, 4.46 40 at 5-11, 198 pounds, 19 reps of 225 pounds) went undrafted. He is raw in his coverage and tackling techniques to be sure, but it won't be surprising to see him stick as a nickel back with potential as a starter down the line.

5. DT Martin Parker, Richmond

Another small-school prospect, Parker showed up big time at the East-West Shrine Game, but teams didn't appreciate his film enough to select him even late in the draft. Given time and coaching, Parker could be an interesting three-technique prospect who provides pass rush as a high-effort wave player.

TOP UNDRAFTED PLAYERS BY POSITION

Quarterbacks

Adam Froman (Louisville)
Taylor Potts (Texas Tech)
Adam Weber (Minnesota)
Josh Portis (California, Pa.)
Scott Tolzien (Wisconsin)

Running Backs

Derrick Locke (Kentucky)
Noel Devine (West Virginia)
Mario Fannin (Auburn)
Damien Berry (Miami)
Brandon Saine (Ohio State)

Wide Receivers

1. Dane Sanzenbacher (Ohio State)

2. *Darvin Adams (Auburn)

3. Ricardo Lockette (Fort Valley State)

4. Jeff Maehl (Oregon)

5. Armon Binns (Cincinnati)

Tight Ends

1. Andre Smith (Virginia Tech)

2. Schuylar Oordt (Northern Iowa)

3. Collin Franklin (Iowa State)

4. Weslye Saunders (South Carolina)

5. Zach Pianalto (North Carolina)

Offensive Tackles

1. Derek Hall (Stanford)

2. Willie Smith (East Carolina)

3. David Mims (Virginia Union)

4. D.J. Young (Michigan State)

5. Trevis Turner (Abilene Christian)

Offensive Guards

1. Zach Hurd (Connecticut)

2. Ray Dominguez (Arkansas)

3. Carl Johnson (Florida)

4. Justin Boren (Ohio State)

5. Andrew Phillips (Stanford)

Centers

1. Kris O'Dowd (Southern Cal)

2. Zane Taylor (Utah)

3. Tim Barnes (Missouri)

4. Jake Kirkpatrick (TCU)

5. Alex Linnenkohl (Oregon State)

Defensive Ends

1. Ugo Chinasa (Oklahoma State)

2. Brandon Bair (Oregon)

3. Pierre Allen (Nebraska)

4. Eddie Jones (Texas)

5. Marc Schiechl (Colorado School of Mines)

Defensive Tackles

1. Cedric Thornton (Southern Arkansas)

2. Ollie Ogbu (Penn State)

3. *Sealver Siliga (Utah)

4. Anthony Gray (Southern Miss)

5. Corbin Bryant (Northwestern)

Inside Linebackers

1. Jeff Tarpinian (Iowa)

2. Mario Harvey (Marshall)

3. Josh Bynes (Auburn)

4. Nick Bellore (Central Michigan)

5. Orie Lemon (Oklahoma State)

Outside Linebackers

1. Adrian Moten (Maryland)

2. Mark Herzlich (Boston College)

3. Jeremiha Hunter (Iowa)

4. Scott Lutrus (Connecticut)

5. *Thomas Keiser (Stanford)

Cornerbacks

1. Kendric Burney (North Carolina)

2. Loyce Means (Houston)

3. Talmadge Jackson III (Oregon)

4. Kevin Rutland (Missouri)

5. Darrin Walls (Notre Dame)

Free Safeties

1. Deunta Williams (North Carolina)

2. *Jerrard Tarrant (Georgia Tech)

3. Anthony Walters (Delaware)

4. *Will Hill (Florida)

5. Brian Lainhart (Kent State)

Strong Safeties

1. DeAndre McDaniel (Clemson)

2. Joe Lefeged (Rutgers)

3. Jeron Johnson (Boise State)

4. Mana Silva (Hawaii)

5. David Sims (Iowa State)

Specialists

1. Kai Forbath (UCLA)

2. Josh Jasper (LSU)

3. Dan Bailey (Oklahoma State)

4. Chas Henry (Florida)

5. Ryan Donahue (Iowa)

Chad Reuter is a Senior Analyst for NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange.

MJZiggy
07-24-2011, 11:15 AM
I read an interview with some kid about what round of the supplemental draft he might go in. Are we having one of those this year?

pbmax
07-24-2011, 12:10 PM
I read an interview with some kid about what round of the supplemental draft he might go in. Are we having one of those this year?

Terrell Pryor and his bartering friends from tOSU will be in the supplemental draft. It will occur next Thursday at 2 AM, each team has 7 seconds to pick before the next pick, due to the compressed preseason.

vince
07-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Here are Gil Brandt's top 20 UDFA's.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820e3eac/article/top-20-undrafted-free-agents-not-loaded-with-sudden-impact

1. Pat Devlin, QB, Delaware: Has size needed to succeed at the position, to go with accuracy and football intelligence.

2. Mark Herzlich, LB, Boston College: His battle against cancer is well documented and speaks to his hunger to play. If healthy, he can play all downs.

3. Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky: Has quickness and speed needed for success at running back.

4. DeAndre McDaniel, S, Clemson: Has all the traits needed to be a good safety.

5. Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU: A former high school basketball player who is strong and smart and has traits that remind some of Colts veteran Jeff Saturday.

6. Mario Fannin, RB, Auburn: Oustanding speed and pass-catching ability. Makes a lot of plays.

7. Nick Bellore, LB, Central Michigan: Very competitive linebacker. One of the all-time top tacklers in the MAC. Great special teams player.

8. Willie Smith, OT, East Carolina: Smart offensive tackle with long arms and good athletic ability. Excellent pass blocker.

9. Ray Dominguez, G, Arkansas: Strong guard who has the chance to start for someone in his second year.

10. Brandon Bair, DT, Oregon: Needs to add weight but has the frame to do so. Very active.

11. Sealver Siliga, DT, Utah: Strong at the point of attack and reminds some of another Utah product, Dolphins defensive tackle Paul Soliai.

12. Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio State: Slot receiver who will catch the ball across the middle and has outstanding hands.

13. Kendric Burney, CB, North Carolina: Lacks great speed but makes up for it with quickness and ball skills. Very good tackler.

14. John Clay, RB, Wisconsin: Strong, inside runner in the mold of Blount.

15. Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame: A four-year starter at Notre Dame who is very strong and athletic.

16. Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley State: Teams love speed, and he is the fastest player available of all undrafted free agents.

17. Scott Tolzien, QB, Wisconsin: Smart quarterback with good but not great arm. Has been very successful with accuracy and ability to hit the right receivers.

18. Noel Devine, RB, West Virginia: Not tall, has great speed, production and hands. Possible WR/KR prospect.

19. Kyle Hix, OT, Texas: Long arms, very strong. Doesn't have good enough feet to play LT but could be good on right side.

20. Zach Hurd, G, Connecticut: He played guard at UConn but his best position might be as a RT because of his size and strength.

MJZiggy
07-24-2011, 12:45 PM
You know you guys are going to go through all of this, TT will find some kid you never heard of, you'll all say WTF, and the kid will go on to make the team. That's just how it works.

Bretsky
07-24-2011, 07:56 PM
You know you guys are going to go through all of this, TT will find some kid you never heard of, you'll all say WTF, and the kid will go on to make the team. That's just how it works.

I don't think any of us will say WTF on undrafted free agents...but we'll be able to bang our chests for a few seconds if we make some predictions.....aka....guesses correctly

vince
07-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Pat Devlin would be nice. I could see him fetching a decent draft pick in a two or three years.

Just based on what Gil Brandt said about Willie Smith, he looks like he could be a TT kind of guy.

Noel Devine is only about 5'8" but can absolutely fly. He'd be fun to watch running down the sideline. Maybe a Sam Shields type pick-up for the return game and offense. Pair him up with Cobb on kick returns and it'd be electric.

NewsBruin
07-25-2011, 06:30 AM
Quick thought: I don't think the NFL will (and definitely SHOULD NOT) let Terelle Pryor enter the next Supplemental Draft. Prior had eligible NCAA amateur status and CHOSE to leave college. The SD is for students who've involuntarily lost their eligibility and can no longer play college footbal (grades, arrest, "violation of team rules").

If Pryor is allowed into the Supplemental Draft, this could lead to a precedent of eligible college players dropping out after the NFL Draft, then signing as free agents with the team of their choice, pretty much torpedo-ing the concept of the draft.

pbmax
07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Quick thought: I don't think the NFL will (and definitely SHOULD NOT) let Terelle Pryor enter the next Supplemental Draft. Prior had eligible NCAA amateur status and CHOSE to leave college. The SD is for students who've involuntarily lost their eligibility and can no longer play college footbal (grades, arrest, "violation of team rules").

If Pryor is allowed into the Supplemental Draft, this could lead to a precedent of eligible college players dropping out after the NFL Draft, then signing as free agents with the team of their choice, pretty much torpedo-ing the concept of the draft.

But wouldn't suspension qualify him, even though it was only for 5 games? He might really regret taking those couple of classes now.

Partial
07-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I just read that the roster size for camp has been expanded by 10 or so people, so TT can now sign more than 12 guys. I think he'll find a few gems. The more bodies the greater the chance!

3irty1
07-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Willie Smith is #1 on my wishlist for TT

retailguy
07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Willie Smith is #1 on my wishlist for TT

I'm favoring Jon Nichol myself.

pbmax
07-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Packer reputation will get a chance to make a difference as teams are now VERY limited in what they can spend on UDFAs. What really makes $75,000 budget ridiculous this year is the combo of a 90 man roster and a lower than 2009 salary cap. Teams will be having fist fights over camp bodies. It would also be this kind of environment that Denver Bronco style off-cap promises become popular again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/undrafted-players-get-screwed-in-the-new-deal/

Undrafted players sign contracts for the minimum annual salaries. The only thing that distinguishes one team’s offer from another team’s offer is the signing bonus.

The decision to cap each team’s signing bonuses for undrafted free agents to $75,000 hurts these players who have been waiting patiently for work in a way far more significant than the dollars and cents of the signing bonus. As a league source explained it to me earlier today (and as I ranted a bit on PFT Live), it will now be harder for agents to know which teams are serious about the chances of an undrafted player to make the team.

Every team says it. But then when the team offers a signing bonus of only $2,500, the agent knows that it’s just talk. When $20,000 is offered, the agent knows that the team has real interest.

Per the source, one team was ready to offer $20,000 to six different undrafted players. Another team budgeted $150,000 for undrafted rookie signing bonuses.

None of that will happen now, and it will be even harder for undrafted players to know which teams truly have high regard for them, especially in a year that will include 90 players going to training camp. As a result, it’ll be even harder for the next Kurt Warner to separate from the scout team and become a Super Bowl hero.

MadScientist
07-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Well, they could offer a roster bonus to UDFA's that make the team, but that is a double-edged sword as a player with a bonus due is more likely to be cut than one without one due. No matter how you slice it, the UDFA's really got screwed this year.

red
07-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Giants signed Herzlich