PDA

View Full Version : THE THREE DAY WINDOW..WHAT DOES TT DO ???? GO ON RECORD

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 10:48 PM
OK, we will soon have three days to sign our own be4 they go off to find the best deal the NFL can offer via free agency

I think this might be one of those classic seasons where other teams go after and overvalue players on a Super Bowl Team

Here is a list, along with some thoughts and predications of who returns to Green Bay and who goes. Feel free to put yourself on record as well.

CULLEN JENKINS
Truth be told if I could name a free agent I'd like to see in a Packer uniform for a fair price Cullen Jenkins might be at the top of my list. He's just a solid, very solid player, and he will be hard to replace. When TT wants to keep a guy like Cullen Jenkins, he attempts to re-up him early because most of the time he knows when a stellar player becomes free he's on his way out. Jenkins, whille stellar, has been injured off and on and is hitting the age where offering him a huge payday would be a huge risk.........one in which I doubt TT takes.

More importantly, in the near future TT will be looking to extend studs like Jermichael Finley, Josh Sitton, Jordy Nelson, Clay Matthews, and probably AROD once more. TT knows its smarter to let one of his DE's develop and let Cullen Walk.
Thanks for the memories Cullen.

SEE YA

JAMES JONES
Jekyll and Hyde. I've seen some compare his skills to Sterling Sharpe (silly IMO) and others compare him to Robert Ferguson (equally silly). Truth be told, he's a solid #3/#4 WR who was an important part of our Super Bowl Run. He's also a great person and good community guy.....aka...a Packer Person. He's a guy you hope they keep for the right price

However, on the practical side.........Do the Packers really need James Jones ?? I would suggest no. They bring back Jermichael Finley and a newbie in Randall Cobb. They lose James Jones. That's a tradeoff from a SB champion that I'll take any day. My gut tells me they will soon focus on resigning Jordy, and regrettably let Mr Jones leave the neighborhood. P.S.--My RAMS need WR's.

SEE YA

DARYN COLLEDGE
Mr Durability who had a very nice season last year. For whatever reason the dude has always kind of reminded me of Mike Wahle. Mike Wahle was always going to the highest bidder. DC got his championship last year, which is even more reason for him to go for the gold. Another team IMO will value him far higher than TT does and SHOW HIM THE MONEY.

SEE YA

BRANDON JACKSON
Severaly torn on this one. He's very average, but with that being said, he's everything I think MM likes in a 3rd down RB. He is Mr. Reliable in terms of pass protection and having the knowledge to always be in the right spot and do the right things. If there is a market for this guy, IMO he goes. We seemed to draft a RB in round three this year that offers far more upside than Brandon Jackson so that might suggest they are moving on w/o him. But my gut still says TT might sign him to a one year deal, which IMO would be smart while the young backs develop. While my gut says he stays, I have to predict

SEE YA

MASON CROSBY
MONEY CROSBY has the leg that is prefectly suited for Green Bay. He ranked 26th in FG percentage but he has a rocket for a leg and IMO he's well thought of as a stable kicker in the NFL. I don't think there is a better one out there in free agency, and certainly not one who would be a better kicker in Green Bay. Letting him go past that three day window would be a huge mistake. The Money Man is coming back

WELCOME ABOARD

KOREY HALL
Solid ST player who consistently does whatever the team asks of him. I don't think there is a big market for him and I doubt he gets signed in the three day window. He may be a guy TT says go out and find your value and come back to us. Flip a coin; heads he stays tails he goes. 50/50 shot. If TOO CLOSE TO CALL was an option that'd be what I say.
Since this is a prediction thread.....I say

SEE YA

JOHN KUHN
Fan Favorite; dude is a gamer who has shown great versatility as a Green Bay Packer. Packer Person. Mr Clutch, and he wants to stay in Green Bay. He stays on the ship.

WELCOMB ABOARD

MATT WILHELM
Was one of a loot of LB's brough in. We're well stocked there and my bet is we find another as an undrafted FA.

SEE YA

JASON SPITZ

A couple years ago I thought Spitz was going to be a really nice long term player. Since his back surgery I have not seen that promise. Maybe TT signes him to a one year deal. My gut tells me he's another guy TT tells to go let the market set his value and give him a shot to match.
Normally that does not work.

SEE YA

ATARI BIGBY
One of the most overrated players by some of the finer posters in this forum. Dude is a great hitter but inconsistent at best as a player to rely on.....which is why TT traded up to nab Morgan Burnett a couple drafts back. Truth be told, Charlie Peprah is a better all round safety for Green Bay that Atari Bigby.

SEE YA

Lurker64
07-17-2011, 10:54 PM
I think Anthony Smith gets resigned. He's cheap, plays special teams, and he knows the system. Decent backup safety, and we did trade a conditional 7th round pick to get him back last year (he went on IR soon after, so I don't think he fulfilled the condition.)

Bretsky
07-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Wasn't sure how to categorize Anthony Smith; I'd doubt he gets signed in the 3 day window but I could see him coming back for minimal wage. He might get cut again though

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Agree with everything expect Splitz. While we have some good players on the oline, we are not so deep that we couldn't use him as a back-up. With his injury concerns I don't think there will be a lot of teams after him. I think he comes back on a one year deal and competes for a spot. With his back surgery being over a year old he could surprise and play at a pretty decent level.

I see Crosby, Kuhn, and Splitz being re-signed.

Edit: I would really like to keep JJ as well, but I think some team will throw a lot of money at him. If they don't and the season is only 2 weeks away and he's still unsigned, I could see him accepting a one year deal. If no team is offering him big money, it wouldn't benefit him to leave. He would have to learn a new offense in a short period of time and probably would have a worse QB throwing him the ball. Thats probably not going to get him a big deal the following year either. Might as well play in the same offense with weapons on over the field and Rodgers throwing you passes. Plus I could see him beating out Driver and Nelson in training camp.

vince
07-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Re-signed
Crosby
Smith
Kuhn
Wilhelm

Gone
Jenkins
Colledge
Jones
Hall
Spitz
Jackson
Bigby

hoosier
07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
I don't think TT will do it, but I agree with making a push to re-sign Jones assuming he's willing to come back for reasonable numbers. If he wants to test the market, however, it may not be practical to keep him. Given Driver's injuries and overall decline last year, coupled with Cobb's inexperience, I think the Packers will be limiting themselves offensively if they let Jones walk. But given his inconsistencies and the number of quality Packers whose contracts expire after this year, I wouldn't break the bank to keep him.

mraynrand
07-18-2011, 12:38 PM
I don't think TT will do it, but I agree with making a push to re-sign Jones assuming he's willing to come back for reasonable numbers. If he wants to test the market, however, it may not be practical to keep him. Given Driver's injuries and overall decline last year, coupled with Cobb's inexperience, I think the Packers will be limiting themselves offensively if they let Jones walk. But given his inconsistencies and the number of quality Packers whose contracts expire after this year, I wouldn't break the bank to keep him.

+1 - unless TT and MM have some other ideas up their sleeves with Cobb and all the TEs they drafted - and think it's Brett Swain's 'breakout year.' :lol:

vince
07-18-2011, 12:49 PM
If Jones walks, I don't think they'll miss him whatsoever. It'll just be more opportunities for Finley, Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, Quarless, Williams, ....

bobblehead
07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I think Hall is back and Kuhn is gone. My only shocker. The main dudes, Crosby, Jackson, Jenkins, Jones; they all depend on what other teams offer. I don't see TT resigning any of them in a 3 day window (why would they not test the market at this point?)

Tony Oday
07-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Re-signed
Smith
Kuhn
Jenkins
Colledge
Jones
Spitz

Gone

Crosby
Wilhelm
Hall
Jackson
Bigby

Deputy Nutz
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
I don't know how you get rid of Kuhn and his flexiblity. He has the ability to play both running back positions and he plays a lot of special teams. MM and TT like player that are flexible more than anything else.

hoosier
07-18-2011, 01:59 PM
If Jones walks, I don't think they'll miss him whatsoever. It'll just be more opportunities for Finley, Jennings, Driver, Nelson, Cobb, Quarless, Williams, ....

Jones's greatest strengths have been his ability to get open in the red zone, fight for extra yardage in the flats, and burn defenders deep when they try to jam him. Granted, when he burns them deep he drops the ball about 50% of the time. But having one of their lesser known receivers be able to step up and turn into a playmaker when the stars are getting coverages rolled their way has been a huge bonus for the Packers offense. I question whether Quarless or Williams can do what Jones does on the outside when teams are paying too much attention to Jennings and/or Finley. I've seen Nelson do that exactly twice (against NYG in week 16 and in the SB). Until I see otherwise, I am assuming Driver is probably past the point of being able to do what he could do three years ago. Cobb, who knows? If he can become a regular part of the offense before the end of the year I will count that as a success. Until then I think the Packers have two or three playmakers catching Rodgers's passes. Having a fourth, despite his obvious warts, would be nice.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-18-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't know if I would say whatsoever, but I agree we are well equipped to handle his loss. This is probably a very unpopular statement, but I would take Jones over Nelson, Driver, and Cobb right now. So IMO I feel that we are losing a starter. He drops a lot of passes, but not anymore than Nelson and Driver. If I'm not mistaken these were the drops last season:

Jones: 10
Nelson: 10
Driver: 7
Jennings: 3

I think we just remember JJ drops more b/c they probably would have been big plays. But I think he is the second most talented Wr on the roster. I wouldn’t count Driver as a starting Wr anymore, and esp. with the lockout I wouldn’t expect much from Cobb as a receiving threat right out the gate.

ThunderDan
07-18-2011, 04:14 PM
I don't know if I would say whatsoever, but I agree we are well equipped to handle his loss. This is probably a very unpopular statement, but I would take Jones over Nelson, Driver, and Cobb right now. So IMO I feel that we are losing a starter. He drops a lot of passes, but not anymore than Nelson and Driver. If I'm not mistaken these were the drops last season:

I think we just remember JJ drops more b/c they probably would have been big plays. But I think he is the second most talented Wr on the roster. I wouldn’t count Driver as a starting Wr anymore, and esp. with the lockout I wouldn’t expect much from Cobb as a receiving threat right out the gate.

Add in his 3 fumbles on 50 caught balls in 2010.

While this aren't exact numbers you have 60 balls went to James Jones that he could have caught in 2010.

10 were dropped and 3 were fumbled. That's over 21% of the time JJ is targeted that a bad outcome occurs.

With my "unoffical" stats method we have:

Jennings - 79 attempts, 3 drops, 2 fumbles - 6.3% failure rate
Driver - 58 attempts, 7 drops, 1 fumble - 13.8% failure rate
Nelson - 55 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 23.6% failure rate
Jones - 60 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 21.7% failure rate

That pretty much proves to me why Jones and Nelson are fighting for the 3rd WR spot.

And another note:

Driver - 698 career catches - 8 career fumbles - 1.15%
Jennings - 322 cc - 5 cf - 1.55%
Jones - 149 cc - 6 cf - 4.03%
Nelson - 100 cc - 6 cf - 6.00%

Way too much ball on the turf for Jones and Nelson to be serious #1 or 2 WRs in the NFL.

Patler
07-18-2011, 04:31 PM
I think Hall is back and Kuhn is gone. My only shocker. The main dudes, Crosby, Jackson, Jenkins, Jones; they all depend on what other teams offer. I don't see TT resigning any of them in a 3 day window (why would they not test the market at this point?)

Curious, why Hall over Kuhn? I know the prevailing thought is that Hall is better at ST and a better blocker, but Kuhn adds an offensive threat that Hall never has as a runner or receiver. But for me the clincher is that Hall seems to miss about 4 games every year with injuries, while playing very few snaps. Just too unreliable to take him over Kuhn.

Smidgeon
07-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't know how you get rid of Kuhn and his flexiblity. He has the ability to play both running back positions and he plays a lot of special teams. MM and TT like player that are flexible more than anything else.

I would've thought the same, but they cut Frankenbacker last year...

Smidgeon
07-18-2011, 04:35 PM

Wasn't there a quote right after the draft regarding Cobb that said something along the lines of, "He just knows football"? If so, I'd think Cobb would still stand a good shot of contributing significantly.

Lurker64
07-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Wasn't there a quote right after the draft regarding Cobb that said something along the lines of, "He just knows football"? If so, I'd think Cobb would still stand a good shot of contributing significantly.

Just because you "know football" doesn't mean you "know the playbook" and if you don't run the right route, nobody is going to throw the ball to you.

Bretsky
07-18-2011, 05:13 PM
I think they lock up Money Crosby in that three day window; kickers don't make that much money and there's nothing better out there
It would not surprise me if they find a way to lock up Kuhn in that window either

I think they let the rest go shop

I'd be on board for locking up Jenkins and College and Jones during that period but IMO there is just not enough money to do this and keep all their starts going forward

Brandon494
07-18-2011, 05:34 PM
We lose Jones and add Finely, Cobb, and Williams. We still have Rodgers at QB also right? I think we'll be okay. Also there is no way they don't resign Kuhn and Crosby.

pbmax
07-18-2011, 06:21 PM
I think Hall over Kuhn if the brain trust is convinced they will keep Grant, Jackson and Starks. That's five backs plus the usual assortment of 5 TEs. Grant can bull doze and hang onto the ball, Jackson can catch and run the screen game.

However, given the market for FBs, both could be resigned for little damage and the team could use the lockout expanded camp roster to let them figure it out and see if Q-bert can ascend to the starting role at FB.

Of my re-signees, Jackson will available at a reasonable price given he is a vet RB who is basically one step over replacement level. Crosby, however, could easily get priced over the Packers value on him. He is perfect for Green Bay, but I doubt Patler is the only GM to look at his FG% minus the 50 yard kicks. Colledge might be that functional but ugly lamp you cannot get anyone to bite on at the garage sale. But someone will need a left guard who could step in at tackle in an emergency.

Re-signed
Smith
Hall
Jackson
Spitz
Crosby

Gone
Wilhelm
Bigby
Kuhn
Jenkins
Colledge
Jones

Bretsky
07-18-2011, 06:35 PM
what you described is why TT needs to lock Crosby up during the three day period. He's have plenty of value for a dome team and would be a touchback machine for years to come

Smidgeon
07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Just because you "know football" doesn't mean you "know the playbook" and if you don't run the right route, nobody is going to throw the ball to you.

I'm not saying it does. What I'm saying is that a higher understanding of general concepts as a base leads to a increased capacity for picking things up more quickly than someone without that higher understanding.

pbmax
07-18-2011, 06:59 PM
what you described is why TT needs to lock Crosby up during the three day period. He's have plenty of value for a dome team and would be a touchback machine for years to come

Takes two to tango. Thompson, who has shown he isn't overly fond of spending on kicking, might have a number in mind that is pegged more toward the FG percentage than the Kickoffs. Crosby and agent might see kicking in warm weather or a dome as an opportunity to land in a few Pro Bowls.

What we haven't seen is what Thompson will do with a young kicker who has proved himself reliable. He made a competitive offer for Vinatieri before, so its not out of the realm of possibility.

red
07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
i don't see jenkins coming back. with a 3-4 defense the guys on your d-line don't really have to be all world players, and you certainly don't need guys on that line that are paid as all-worlders. jenkins will get paid, and good for him, but we can't tie up huge money on a 3-4 DE. plus we already won one super bowl without him. we'll survive

jones makes a lot of nice plays, but he just seems to make so many huge mistakes at the absolute worst times. he's another guy that will probably get some good money on the market. we have jennings, driver, jordy, cobb now, plus finley, dj williams, crabtree, and some running backs that need to catch balls. i just don't see us spending any coin on a #4 wr. he can be a #2 somewhere else. let him go

colledge can go, for one reason or another i've never liked him. i think you try and decide if bulaga or sherrod is going to be the future left tackle, then have them replace dg for this year, and let the other master the right side

to me, its a no brainer that you resign crosby. it takes a special kicker with a big leg to kick in green bay in december and january. you gotta keep him

we got a lot of running back on the roster right now. unless we trade grant for some reason, i really don't see why we would keep jackson. he might be more valuable to someone else then he is to us

bigby is gone, burnett and peprah are both much more solid overall

the rest i don't expect to keep unless the come back cheap.

i guess i wouldn't mind kuhn coming back, he seems to be able to do a little bit of everything

Bretsky
07-18-2011, 08:14 PM
i don't see jenkins coming back. with a 3-4 defense the guys on your d-line don't really have to be all world players, and you certainly don't need guys on that line that are paid as all-worlders. jenkins will get paid, and good for him, but we can't tie up huge money on a 3-4 DE. plus we already won one super bowl without him. we'll survive

agree with any of your player points............but Jenkins made some nice plays at key points of the season and played well in the playoffs. I'm not sure I'd say we won a SB without him

bobblehead
07-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Curious, why Hall over Kuhn? I know the prevailing thought is that Hall is better at ST and a better blocker, but Kuhn adds an offensive threat that Hall never has as a runner or receiver. But for me the clincher is that Hall seems to miss about 4 games every year with injuries, while playing very few snaps. Just too unreliable to take him over Kuhn.

I actually really like the way Hall catches the ball out of the backfield. It just looks natural. He is superior blocking and ST. Running? Well, the only time kuhn or hall is getting handoffs is when we are desperate. Add in the H-back we drafted and I think Kuhns days are numbered is all.

bobblehead
07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
i don't see jenkins....... we already won one super bowl without him. we'll survive

Wasn't it Jenkins that hit Benburgers arm on the Collins pick 6?? Or was it someone else?

bobblehead
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Why does nobody think we resign Bigby at rock bottom prices? If he is healthy (finally) and comes cheap (can't imagine him getting a big offer) I think he is a good roster guy.

Joemailman
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Wasn't it Jenkins that hit Benburgers arm on the Collins pick 6?? Or was it someone else?

I thought it was Howard Green. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erzMuwXDRK8

Joemailman
07-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I actually really like the way Hall catches the ball out of the backfield. It just looks natural. He is superior blocking and ST. Running? Well, the only time kuhn or hall is getting handoffs is when we are desperate. Add in the H-back we drafted and I think Kuhns days are numbered is all.

Kuhn has 137 receiving yards in 4 seasons. If it's a particular skill of his, it's apparently one the Packers don't value or utilize much. Kuhn has much more value as a short yardage runner.

Joemailman
07-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Why does nobody think we resign Bigby at rock bottom prices? If he is healthy (finally) and comes cheap (can't imagine him getting a big offer) I think he is a good roster guy.

I think the Packers are now looking for safeties that have better coverage skills than Bigby (Cue Skinbasket). That's why they moved up to take Burnett. A thumper of a strong safety isn't needed as much now that you always have 4 LB's on the field.

Smidgeon
07-18-2011, 09:59 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Jones is being underrated. He's got the same relative number of drops as Jordy does (and I think not too far ahead of Driver either), but Jones' drops had among them several that could have gone for TDs. Whereas Jordy's and Driver's drops were closer to the line of scrimmage or across the middle. I think it says something that Jones had so many where he was open for the TD. It's just frustrating that those are the ones he drops. It isn't that he drops more. He just drops the wrong ones...

Smidgeon
07-18-2011, 10:00 PM
I think the Packers are now looking for safeties that have better coverage skills than Bigby (Cue Skinbasket). That's why they moved up to take Burnett. A thumper of a strong safety isn't needed as much now that you always have 4 LB's on the field.

Well, that and the league moving to even more of a passing league requires even more defensive backs that can cover and intercept first...

vince
07-19-2011, 02:26 AM
I'm finding the Hall stays/Kuhn goes argument persuasive. I've always liked Hall when healthy and I think there could be more interest in Kuhn on the open market, which would make him more likely to sign elsewhere. While Kuhn is effective in short yardage situations, I think Green and Starks will both get the job done there as well.

Brandon494
07-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Sorry but I'm not buying Hall over Kuhn. Hall is a good special teams player with decent hands but he's a below average blocker who can not seem to stay healthy and is not starting FB in my mind. Kuhn is a starting FB who is also our best short yardage runner. Like a poster said before he might not be great in one area but he is just a good all around player. He's simliar to Mike Alsott in a way. I also don't see Quinn Johnson making the team this season, he just doesn't fit in the west coast scheme.

Scott Campbell
07-19-2011, 09:08 AM
I thought it was Howard Green. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erzMuwXDRK8

He manhandled his guy and got his pressure from the inside. Collins made a nice play, but Green made it all possible.

red
07-19-2011, 09:44 AM
agree with any of your player points............but Jenkins made some nice plays at key points of the season and played well in the playoffs. I'm not sure I'd say we won a SB without him

i guess i completely forgot that jenkins came back at some point last year

vince
07-19-2011, 09:54 AM
IMO, Hall is a good blocker who has consistently been the "starting" fullback when healthy.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
Add in his 3 fumbles on 50 caught balls in 2010.

While this aren't exact numbers you have 60 balls went to James Jones that he could have caught in 2010.

10 were dropped and 3 were fumbled. That's over 21% of the time JJ is targeted that a bad outcome occurs.

With my "unoffical" stats method we have:

Jennings - 79 attempts, 3 drops, 2 fumbles - 6.3% failure rate
Driver - 58 attempts, 7 drops, 1 fumble - 13.8% failure rate
Nelson - 55 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 23.6% failure rate
Jones - 60 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 21.7% failure rate

That pretty much proves to me why Jones and Nelson are fighting for the 3rd WR spot.

And another note:

Driver - 698 career catches - 8 career fumbles - 1.15%
Jennings - 322 cc - 5 cf - 1.55%
Jones - 149 cc - 6 cf - 4.03%
Nelson - 100 cc - 6 cf - 6.00%

Way too much ball on the turf for Jones and Nelson to be serious #1 or 2 WRs in the NFL.

Good points, which is way I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we lose him either. If he comes back cheap though, I would definitely bring him back.

I personal think he is better than Nelson and your stat comparison proves it is at least debatable. And as for Driver, I am not going to argue that Driver has had a better career. Driver was a true number one Wr/pro bowler throughout most of his career. When comparing Jones and Driver, I’m thinking more in terms of who is more valuable to the team for next season. I just have a feeling that the Driver we saw last year is the one we will see this coming year.

IF Jones can limit the number of drops next season, I think people would be surprised at the numbers he could put up. Granted his fumbling problems seem to have been a problem since his rookie year. But at the end of the day, I would be all that disappointed if he walked.

Brandon494
07-19-2011, 10:34 AM
IMO, Hall is a good blocker who has consistently been the "starting" fullback when healthy.

Maybe his first few seasons because we had no one better. Neither player is going to be asking for much. I'd rather pay alittle more to keep Kuhn who is the better and more durable player.

pbmax
07-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Sorry but I'm not buying Hall over Kuhn. Hall is a good special teams player with decent hands but he's a below average blocker who can not seem to stay healthy and is not starting FB in my mind. Kuhn is a starting FB who is also our best short yardage runner. Like a poster said before he might not be great in one area but he is just a good all around player. He's simliar to Mike Alsott in a way. I also don't see Quinn Johnson making the team this season, he just doesn't fit in the west coast scheme.

If it came down to just those two for a starting job, you might be right. But both might be the backup FB this year. Remember that Qbert became the starting FB when the Packers went 2 backs with Starks.

So the backup FB has got to do ST and the Packers don't play ST well enough to let Hall go without a plan for improving his spot. Each of Kuhn's strong points can be done better by another RB body on the team.

The only hesitancy I foresee would be the injury concern. I could also envision a scenario where if Jackson does not come back, Kuhn sticks to pick up the slack. In that scenario though, much depends on how the rookie RB does.

Patler
07-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Hall seems to miss 4 or 5 games every year. MM made one of his "availability" comments about Hall last year, that seemed to indicate he was tiring of Hall's constant injuries. I can see them signing Hall for a minimum salary to bring him into camp, but I don't see them making any effort beyond that.

vince
07-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Hall seems to miss 4 or 5 games every year. MM made one of his "availability" comments about Hall last year, that seemed to indicate he was tiring of Hall's constant injuries. I can see them signing Hall for a minimum salary to bring him into camp, but I don't see them making any effort beyond that.
Yeah availability is big and Hall has that going against him. I'm thinking Kuhn's running value will go down though with the addition of Starks and Green. Hall is a good receiver out of the backfield and may well be equal value to Kuhn (minus the availability problem) for cheaper. With the additional TE's, maybe they keep 2 FB's this year and go more with the H-back concept and do even more motioning of TE's into the backfield blocking position. It'll probably come down to the type of offer Kuhn gets elsewhere.

Mark me down as officially not having a clue as to whether Hall and/or Kuhn will be Packers this year.:oops:

Smidgeon
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Good points, which is way I wouldn't be overly disappointed if we lose him either. If he comes back cheap though, I would definitely bring him back.

I personal think he is better than Nelson and your stat comparison proves it is at least debatable. And as for Driver, I am not going to argue that Driver has had a better career. Driver was a true number one Wr/pro bowler for a couple years in his career. When comparing Jones and Driver, I’m thinking more in terms of who is more valuable to the team for next season. I just have a feeling that the Driver we saw last year is the one we will see this coming year.

IF Jones can limit the number of drops next season, I think people would be surprised at the numbers he could put up. Granted his fumbling problems seem to have been a problem since his rookie year. But at the end of the day, I would be all that disappointed if he walked.

Fixed

Tarlam!
07-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Re-signed
Smith
Kuhn
Jenkins
Colledge
Jones
Spitz

Gone

Crosby[(B]
Wilhelm
Hall
[B]Jackson
Bigby

Jeez I hope not......

Lurker64
07-19-2011, 02:33 PM
Jeez I hope not......

Yeah, if Crosby leaves we're kind of up a creek. He's the one free agent that we absolutely, without question, need to sign. Not because he's amazing, but because he's young and we won't find a better kicker this offseason.

vince
07-19-2011, 04:15 PM
As far as the 3-day window is concerned, I'm not sure why any player wouldn't want to wait another day or 2 to see if they can fish for a better deal. Even if they ultimately are hell-bent on re-signing with their current team, at least they have a chance to up the ante for themselves. I don't see many signings within the 3-day window anywhere. It'd be dumb to do it at this point.

smuggler
07-20-2011, 01:32 AM
According to some scouts, KHall was the best blocking FB in the NFC in 2010 *when he played*. The problem is, apparently, that the dude can't stay on the field. If he's healthy in 2011, he'll be the starter, assuming he doesn't get shown the door.

It stings a little that Vonta Leach is the unquestioned best lead-blocing FB in the league right now...

Fosco33
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I think we make offers to Jenkins, Jones, Spitz, Crosby, Kuhn.

Gut tells me we only retain Spitz, Crosby, Kuhn though.

smuggler
07-20-2011, 11:30 AM
Do you really think Spitz is back? I think Colledge has a better chance.

Patler
07-20-2011, 12:24 PM
Colledge could be expensive. Spitz may have to sign a one year veterans minimum contract to prove that he can still play.

bobblehead
07-20-2011, 12:53 PM
Kuhn has 137 receiving yards in 4 seasons. If it's a particular skill of his, it's apparently one the Packers don't value or utilize much. Kuhn has much more value as a short yardage runner.

I think you misread my post....that was my point, that Hall is superior to Kuhn in this regard.

bobblehead
07-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Mark me down as officially not having a clue as to whether Hall and/or Kuhn will be Packers this year.:oops:

Perhaps we are all over valuing both. Could neither make the team (which seems very possible to me).

MadScientist
07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Signed in 3-day window:
Crosby, Kuhn and Smith.

Colledge will be back during the FA window when he doesn't get the big contract offer.

Jones and Jenkins will be over-paid.

The rest will go to places where they have a chance to make the team.

And just for completeness, the Packers won't sign any FA's from other teams, because the Packers are just too good to waste money on them.

Patler
07-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Just to show that he is versatile, and can build a team many different ways, TT will spend a boatload and sign Asomugha and Ray Edwards (to replace Jenkins). He will trade next year's first round draft pick to get Albert Haynesworth. He will re-sign Colledge and Jones to 4 year deals worth $20 million each.

Does anyone know the symptoms of heat stroke? I was outside a while this afternoon, and reading what I just wrote has me a bit concerned!

MJZiggy
07-20-2011, 04:50 PM
Just to show that he is versatile, and can build a team many different ways, TT will spend a boatload and sign Asomugha and Ray Edwards (to replace Jenkins). He will trade next year's first round draft pick to get Albert Haynesworth. He will re-sign Colledge and Jones to 4 year deals worth $20 million each.

Does anyone know the symptoms of heat stroke? I was outside a while this afternoon, and reading what I just wrote has me a bit concerned!

Drink some water, have a cool bath and a shot of whiskey and try again...

Smeefers
07-20-2011, 06:10 PM
No way Kuhn stays ahead of hall. Every time Hall has a chance to play, he's the starting FB. He's always been their number one guy, and even though I don't see what they see in him, I have a very hard time seeing them keep kuhn but ship hall out. Kuhn was critical last year, but that was a freak year. There's no way he gets the ball on short yardage plays. FB's get the ball on short yardage plays what, once or twice a season? They'd rather give it to a RB who has a chance to break it. I think Kuhn is awesome, I loved him, but I don't see him in the green and gold next year.

RashanGary
07-20-2011, 10:22 PM
No way Kuhn stays ahead of hall. Every time Hall has a chance to play, he's the starting FB. He's always been their number one guy, and even though I don't see what they see in him, I have a very hard time seeing them keep kuhn but ship hall out. Kuhn was critical last year, but that was a freak year. There's no way he gets the ball on short yardage plays. FB's get the ball on short yardage plays what, once or twice a season? They'd rather give it to a RB who has a chance to break it. I think Kuhn is awesome, I loved him, but I don't see him in the green and gold next year.

Hey smeefers. I'm thinking Kuhn. Availability counts for something. Hall has kind of bad lucked himself out I think.

Iron Mike
07-20-2011, 11:21 PM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colledge_on_packers_its_not_my_choice/5631139

vince
07-21-2011, 08:03 AM
http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colledge_on_packers_its_not_my_choice/5631139
Colledge making more excuses for his inconsistent play. I don't like his attitude.

hoosier
07-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Colledge making more excuses for his inconsistent play. I don't like his attitude.

But he's got a great attitude about changing diapers. :-)

Fritz
07-21-2011, 10:35 AM

It's amazing how a lack of quotation marks can really f*ck you up.

As for the overall thread, since Jermichael Finley really wants to be a wide receiver, I see Jones as expendable. I think Crosby is the most important resigning to get done.

As for why sign in the three day period when you could test the waters? The only thing I can come up with is that maybe the threat of getting offers (in the three day window) is more powerful than going into free agency and not getting much if any interest.

vince
07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
As for why sign in the three day period when you could test the waters? The only thing I can come up with is that maybe the threat of getting offers (in the three day window) is more powerful than going into free agency and not getting much if any interest.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Labor-pains-ending-baby-coming-soon.html

As we expected, there will likely be a three-day period of interaction between teams and their own players – players under contract, rookies, pending free agents. That period will be full of tampering, as players and agents will want to know what is behind Door Number Two before agreeing with their own team.
Widespread tampering and a complete mockery of the 3-day window is the answer. I'm disappointed I didn't think of that.

pbmax
07-21-2011, 12:26 PM

It's amazing how a lack of quotation marks can really f*ck you up.

As for the overall thread, since Jermichael Finley really wants to be a wide receiver, I see Jones as expendable. I think Crosby is the most important resigning to get done.

Try this version. http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/colledge_on_packers_its_not_my_choice/5631139

pbmax
07-21-2011, 12:28 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Labor-pains-ending-baby-coming-soon.html

Widespread tampering and a complete mockery of the 3-day window is the answer. I'm disappointed I didn't think of that.

PFT labeled this the Official Tampering Period when this timeline first appeared.

wootah
07-22-2011, 05:03 AM
Hey smeefers. I'm thinking Kuhn. Availability counts for something. Hall has kind of bad lucked himself out I think.

True; McCarthy has said it over & over again he preaches availability & accountability. I'm thinking Kuhn as well, but you never know (Harrell anyone?).

Spitz has a bigger chance than some might think; when healthy, he was supposed to be the starting center & he will be dirt cheap. The problem for him is that there are some younger & healthier legs waiting to get their shot.

Tarlam!
07-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Well, if they don't re-sign Kuhn, I, for one, will really miss that chant from the crowd every time he got the ball. I really loved that!