PDA

View Full Version : J-Mike's Verbal Orgasm

vince
07-19-2011, 08:02 PM
I like Finley's confidence and the fact that nothing's as big as he is, but I hope this guy doesn't talk himself out of town. He's likely too good, but my god he runs at the mouth. If things go bad and he gets lippy, it's not gonna be good.
http://www.espnmilwaukee.com/corp/page/07%2F15%2F11_Finley_talks_talk%2C_vows_to_walk_wal k/19?feed=2

Talking the Talk: Finley Excited for '11
By JASON WILDE

jwilde@espnwisconsin.com

GREEN BAY – Jermichael Finley says his knee is ready for the 2011 NFL season, and based on a few things the Green Bay Packers loquacious tight end had to say after a workout in the Twin Cities with his friend, Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Finley’s mouth is in midseason form as well.

The talkative, confident Finley spoke with Judd Zulgad of the Minneapolis Star Tribune and other reporters after the workout and pronounced himself cleared for action and also expressed confidence that the Super Bowl XLV champions, who went on to win the NFL title without him following his right knee injury at Washington Oct. 10 – will repeat. Finley also spoke boldly about his role in the Packers’ offense and of the Minnesota Vikings’ chances in 2011.

“I was out Week 5 of last season, so just imagine that. I’m thirsty, hungry, dehydrated, I’m all of the above right now so I can’t wait to get back and play some ball,” said Finley, who caught 21 passes for a team-leading 301 yards (team-best 14.3-yard average) and one touchdown before tearing the meniscus in his right knee against the Redskins. “It was bittersweet. Being out Week 5 and then winning the Super Bowl and you not being a part of it. You’re like, ‘What did I do wrong?’ It’s one of those things where you have to learn from it and grow.”

“I was walking through the locker room (after the Packers’ 31-25 victory over Pittsburgh) and I saw the guys just stoked and happy and I was happy. But at the same time I was like, ‘[Shoot], I didn’t do nothing. I didn’t play.’ I guarantee I’m going to get them back this year.”

Asked if he’s been cleared to return to practice, Finley replied, “They are not clearing me, I’m clearing myself. I’m getting out there and playing this year without a doubt.

“Every step counts, every ball I get thrown to me in practice counts right now. I think (the injury) was a blessing, to tell you the truth. I saw the game from a different standpoint. It made me learn the defenses, it made me learn how to detail my routes and everything. Just seeing the game from a different standpoint, I got more knowledge.”

Finley said he’s glad that his teammates didn’t put together player-organized workouts during the offseason because he can’t wait to impress them when they return to the practice field.

“To tell you the truth, I’m glad they’ve done that,” Finley said. “I can come back and the first thing they’re going to see is me sprinting. I guarantee you right now, Green Bay, they don’t think I’m ready.”

Finley, who has a home in Minneapolis in addition to homes in Green Bay and Arizona, said he is in the Twin Cities regularly because his agent, doctor and trainer are all Minneapolis-based. Those who follow Finley on Twitter (@JermichaelF88) know he is there on a regular basis.

“My whole team is here and I needed that right now. I needed the support and this offseason has been the best offseason I’ve had,” said Finley, who contracted a staph infection after his knee surgery that set back his recovery significantly.

Before his injury, Finley was the focal point of the Packers’ offense, which transitioned toward Pro Bowl wide receiver Greg Jennings thereafter. Finley wasn’t bashful when discussing what he expects his role to be in the Packers’ offense this season, going so far as to say that he’s slimmed down in hopes of lining up more often as a receiver and less often in a three-point stance at the line of scrimmage.

“(The offense) will be way, way different. I guarantee you it’s going to be … we’re going to have a deadly team this year. … I can see us in Indianapolis this year. No doubt,” Finley said, referring to the site of Super Bowl XLVI.

“I’m thinner right now. GB (is) probably not like me right now but I’m trying to stand up this year. I’m not going to sugarcoat it. I think (lining up in) a two-point (stance), I can get on the linebacker quicker, I can get on the safety quicker and it’s a win-win for me and 12 (quarterback Aaron Rodgers).”

According to Finley, he stood up “a good 60” percent of the time last year. “Standing up, I think that’s the best position for me,” he said. Asked if the coaches are comfortable with that, Finley replied, “They’re going to be comfortable with it.”

Finley, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract and is set to become a free agent after the season, pointed out that the Packers have other tight ends like Tom Crabtree and Spencer Havner who are more blockers than pass-catchers, and also pointed out that the team drafted tight ends D.J. Williams (fifth round) and Ryan Taylor (seventh round) this spring.

“We’ve got tons of guys (who can block), to tell you the truth and we drafted two of them. We drafted two tight ends this year,” Finley said. Asked if the selections of Williams and Taylor raised some eyebrows, Finley replied, “It did, but at the same time I know my ability and I see the ability they brought in and I guarantee you I’ll still be a focus.”
The fact that he openly talks about not doing any blocking and says the other TE's are there to block may not sit well with his coach. I hope McCarthy and McAdoo put him on the blocking sled for about three days to start camp.

Joemailman
07-19-2011, 08:15 PM
I've got one word: Indianapolis Indiana Super Bowl.

vince
07-19-2011, 08:23 PM
It's a good thing he's too big for DB's, too fast for LB's, strong, athletic, and the ball sticks to him.

Brandon494
07-19-2011, 08:38 PM
I don't see the big deal. Its not like TO calling out his teammates or anything. The guy does runs his mouth but whats the harm really? I like the confidence and excitement he shows about the upcoming season.

Iron Mike
07-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Didn't he guarantee the Super Bowl last year??

http://www.peoplequiz.com/images/bios/dizzy-dean.jpg-7032.jpg
"It ain't braggin' if ya can back it up."

Joemailman
07-19-2011, 08:57 PM
As long as he hasn't gotten too light to be an effective blocker when they need him to be, it's not a big deal. He's never shied away from blocking, but he has to be strong enough to do it.

Patler
07-19-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't see the big deal. Its not like TO calling out his teammates or anything. The guy does runs his mouth but whats the harm really? I like the confidence and excitement he shows about the upcoming season.

I don't think its a big deal either, but I don't like the semi-challenge to the coaches:

According to Finley, he stood up “a good 60” percent of the time last year. “Standing up, I think that’s the best position for me,” he said. Asked if the coaches are comfortable with that, Finley replied, “They’re going to be comfortable with it.”

I had thought he had grown out of those types of comments, but that one reminds me too much of this quote from his rookie year when he misplayed a back shoulder throw:

"I've made plays like that in practice - several," Finley said. "I think he should have led me a little more. Well, a lot more. Really he didn't throw it good at all, to be honest. I just think. . . . He knows my game, coaches know my game. I'm more like a run and jump. I'm really not no back shoulder or whatever he had going on back there. They just have to know what kind of player I am and use me in that aspect of the game."

Brandon494
07-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Your reading way too much into his comments, not like he said they better be comfortable with it. Too me it seemed like he was implying the coaches are going to be pleased with his performance standing up.

RashanGary
07-19-2011, 10:37 PM
Love his game, but he does make you wonder if he's willing to suck it up and do what the coaches feel is best at times.

Hopefully he's just being confident and brash to the media, but more than reasonable with with coaches.

Patler
07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Your reading way too much into his comments, not like he said they better be comfortable with it. Too me it seemed like he was implying the coaches are going to be pleased with his performance standing up.

Nope, I'm just reading it for what it is, an immature attitude/statement by a guy I gave a lot of credit to for having grown up. I suspect the coaches will tell him that THEY will determine how he lines up and what he runs, when they get a hold on him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-19-2011, 10:46 PM
The more he talks, the more I think this is his last year on the team. Makes you really appreciate players like Jennings. He has so much talent, but way to big a head.

Brandon494
07-19-2011, 10:50 PM
The dude likes to run his mouth but until the coaches or his teammates start having a problem with it then I see no reason why anyone else should.

Patler
07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
The coaches aren't likely to say much for the public, but I suspect they will find a few things in his interview that they might discuss with him.

gbgary
07-19-2011, 10:57 PM

i don't see a problem either. there's nothing negative there. just a guy who's more than ready to get on with it. i don't understand the short leash being given to fin.

Joemailman
07-19-2011, 11:00 PM
One thing MM is very good at is avoiding overreacting to potentially negative situations. If there is a problem, it will be handled quietly by the coaching staff and leaders of this team.

vince
07-19-2011, 11:10 PM
He comes across a bit as demanding to be the focus of the offense. I think he just gets carried away playing with the media and doesn't really mean to say half of what what he comes across as saying.

But as good as he is, he needs to come across as having some resemblance of a team perspective. I think he had that last year for the most part, so it will be good. I also think that A-rod has a good relationship with Finley on the field and in the lockerroom, so hopefully that keeps him in check.

VegasPackFan
07-19-2011, 11:25 PM
Finley's never done anything on the field or in the locker room that would make him a distraction. Rodgers LOVES him as a target. I think all is well.

Guiness
07-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Nope, I'm just reading it for what it is, an immature attitude/statement by a guy I gave a lot of credit to for having grown up. I suspect the coaches will tell him that THEY will determine how he lines up and what he runs, when they get a hold on him.

+1 - my thoughts as well

Guiness
07-20-2011, 12:54 AM
Finley's never done anything on the field or in the locker room that would make him a distraction. Rodgers LOVES him as a target. I think all is well.

What about the comment about 'should have led him more, they know I don't to the back shoulder stuff'. Sounds like throwing his QB under the bus to me.

I know that was a while ago, and was handled, but you can't say he's never done anything like that.

MJZiggy
07-20-2011, 07:06 AM
Seems to me that we have an excited, confident player who can't wait to get back on the field to show everyone how far he's come. I don't think the coaches will have a problem until they hear the full interview that includes the context and questions. It's not like the media to take snippets out of context to make it look like someone said something without the further explanation. I'm in the camp that says he was saying that once the coaches see what he can do, they'll just HAVE to stand him up (because he's so good). I don't see him expressing an actual unwillingness to do anything. Are the guys never supposed to get excited? Are they never supposed to tell us what they're really feeling and instead just offer the preapproved party line? That is so boring.

Brandon494
07-20-2011, 07:20 AM
What about the comment about 'should have led him more, they know I don't to the back shoulder stuff'. Sounds like throwing his QB under the bus to me.

I know that was a while ago, and was handled, but you can't say he's never done anything like that.

Yea he said it as a 21 year old rookie 3 years ago. Big fricking deal! AR isn't going to give the guy a shout out like he did if he was the type to cause any trouble in the locker.

Patler
07-20-2011, 07:27 AM
I don't know, when a guy takes it upon himself to lose weight and come back thinner because he thinks it will make him better doing the things that he thinks he should be doing, while recognizing and expressing that the team might not like it; it gives me pause for concern.

It's not a big concern, and I don't think he is a team cancer or anything like that; but, just as he did in the comment I quoted from his rookie season, it's an expression that he knows better then the coaches, and that they need to adapt to his wants and goals.

It just makes me a bit cautious, wondering how he might react if through the first 4-5 weeks he gets only 2-3 receptions a week, like Jennings did last year. Will he remain content and enthusiastic, or will he blame the coaches for not using him correctly, and Rodgers for not looking his way more often? Will he be able to temper his frustration for the good of the team, or will it boil over as we have seen from some of the prima dona wide receivers? I don't know what he will do, but if I were his coach I would be on the look out. They've had a couple heart-to-heart discussions with him in the past and may have to again.

bobblehead
07-20-2011, 08:12 AM
The dude likes to run his mouth but until the coaches or his teammates start having a problem with it then I see no reason why anyone else should.

I agree. He is pumped, he works hard, he is coachable. He did have a couple foibles as a rookie, but I don't have any problems with this interview. By all accounts he comes in and does what they ask him to.

Scott Campbell
07-20-2011, 08:17 AM
We have a budding diva.

hoosier
07-20-2011, 08:38 AM
I don't know, when a guy takes it upon himself to lose weight and come back thinner because he thinks it will make him better doing the things that he thinks he should be doing, while recognizing and expressing that the team might not like it; it gives me pause for concern.

It's not a big concern, and I don't think he is a team cancer or anything like that; but, just as he did in the comment I quoted from his rookie season, it's an expression that he knows better then the coaches, and that they need to adapt to his wants and goals.

It just makes me a bit cautious, wondering how he might react if through the first 4-5 weeks he gets only 2-3 receptions a week, like Jennings did last year. Will he remain content and enthusiastic, or will he blame the coaches for not using him correctly, and Rodgers for not looking his way more often? Will he be able to temper his frustration for the good of the team, or will it boil over as we have seen from some of the prima dona wide receivers? I don't know what he will do, but if I were his coach I would be on the look out. They've had a couple heart-to-heart discussions with him in the past and may have to again.

I expect that if the Packers are winning that will temper any potential friction and resentment from Finley. The examples that come to mind of prima donnas feeling unappreciated and becoming disruptive are examples where the team is struggling (Keyshawn Johnson with the Jets, for example). TO's meltdown during the Eagle's SB year against the Pats was certainly a case of a prima donna making a stink despite his team winning, but I don't get the sense that Finley is that unhinged. If the Packers are 8-1, I don't envision Finley rocking the boat. If they're 5-4, on the other hand....

Patler
07-20-2011, 09:06 AM
We have a budding diva.

Ah...but will he blossom??!!

sharpe1027
07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
While he shouldn't be crucified for a couple questionably statements by any means, neither TO or Moss were big problems their first few years. Plenty of people defended them or looked the other way when those two started down their respective diva paths.

The warning signs are there for everyone to see, but which way he goes from here is still up in the air. I think he should be fine as long as he doesn't alienate himself from his teammates. So far I have not seen much negative about him coming from other players. Once that happens, he could end up like TO or Moss and not listen to anyone but himself (unless it suits his current mood).

ThunderDan
07-20-2011, 09:29 AM
While he shouldn't be crucified for a couple questionably statements by any means, neither TO or Moss were big problems their first few years. Plenty of people defended them or looked the other way when those two started down their respective diva paths.

The warning signs are there for everyone to see, but which way he goes from here is still up in the air. I think he should be fine as long as he doesn't alienate himself from his teammates. So far I have not seen much negative about him coming from other players. Once that happens, he could end up like TO or Moss and not listen to anyone but himself (unless it suits his current mood).

I agree. I think the Packer lockerroom has strong enough leadership that it should be able to handle Finley.

But I still don't think FInley is a concern right now. He does exactly what the coaches tell him to do. He just runs his mouth and as long as its just running his mouth and not taking plays off I am OK with it.

Patler
07-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Interesting contrasts:

TE coach Bob McAdoo talking about Finley when he was drafted:

Like I said, he's just scratched the surface as far as his body goes. He's still a skinny 243 pounds. He's young. He's raw. As he continues to work, he has a nice-sized frame where he can put some weight on. At 6-4 and a half and 243, he's got a lot of room to grow.

Finley talking about himself before camp this year:

“I’m thinner right now. GB (is) probably not like me right now but I’m trying to stand up this year. I’m not going to sugarcoat it. I think (lining up in) a two-point (stance), I can get on the linebacker quicker, I can get on the safety quicker and it’s a win-win for me and 12(quarterback Aaron Rodgers).”

It will be interesting to see what he really comes into camp at for weight, and how the coaching staff responds. It wouldn't be the first time that an athlete set himself back by doing what he thought was best instead of what the team planned for him. On the other hand, maybe he will be right and the coaches will see other opportunities with Finley more of a big WR than a TE.

Brandon494
07-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Umm whats fits our offense better? A passing catching TE or blocking TE? No reason why we should not be using Finley the same way the Chargers are using Gates.

Joemailman
07-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Pelissero said Finley told him he weighs 245. https://twitter.com/#!/JermichaelF88

If that's the case, he's fine. That's only 2 pounds under the weight listed on the Packers roster.

Tarlam!
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
He's already manouvering for the big payday he's expecting, which is part of the business. What is a red flag is the stuff about how he has been used incorrectly. Sure he can say that stuff, but internally.

Patler
07-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Umm whats fits our offense better? A passing catching TE or blocking TE? No reason why we should not be using Finley the same way the Chargers are using Gates.

Personally, I'm lucky if I see one Charger game a year so I have no clue as to what the Chargers ask Gates to do, or how they line him up. However, being a receiving TE more than a blocking TE doesn't necessarily mean its a good idea to get smaller. Maybe he can get on linebackers or safeties quicker as he says, but if a linebacker particularly can toss him around because he is smaller, he might get to but not past the linebacker. If the coaches thought it was better for him to be lighter and faster, I would have thought they would have asked him to, and would have set up a training program to get there; in which case he wouldn't state that the Packers weren't going to like what he did.

It's interesting to note that Gates is listed to be an inch shorter than Finley, but 13 pounds heavier. So, maybe to be used like Gates, Finley should get bigger and stronger, not leaner and quicker.

mraynrand
07-20-2011, 11:49 AM
It gets lonely in the igloo

MJZiggy
07-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Pelissero said Finley told him he weighs 245. https://twitter.com/#!/JermichaelF88

If that's the case, he's fine. That's only 2 pounds under the weight listed on the Packers roster.

Maybe he got fat while recovering and in this long, LONG offseason, so comparatively, he's leaner now?

sharpe1027
07-20-2011, 04:13 PM

He's a pass catcher whether or not he can block, it is not a zero sum game. What fits our offense better? A pass catching TE that can also block (allowing the Packer's to use the entire playbook) or a pass catching TE that can only line up as a WR because he can't block a lick?

Freak Out
07-20-2011, 04:55 PM
I really don't care what he tells the media as long as he stays out of trouble with the law and is all business when it comes to football.

bobblehead
07-20-2011, 07:32 PM

A TE that isn't much of a blocker is kinda....a sad WR. A TE MUST be able to block smaller LB's and all DB's to be an effective TE.

bobblehead
07-20-2011, 07:34 PM
PS...my proof of this is that the NFL is getting to the point where most TE's are pass catchers and bad blockers, and guys like Dominator recognize this and line up in nickel all day since they don't worry about the TE knocking the safety out of the play.

RashanGary
07-20-2011, 10:20 PM
Finley is a dominant enough pass catcher, it wouldn't matter if he could block a lick. He'd still be a good player. That said, it's a big bonus if he could block well and Finley is alright at it.

As far as him being a problem. . . . He's confident. MM is good with egos. I think he can keep JF down.

sharpe1027
07-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Finley is a dominant enough pass catcher, it wouldn't matter if he could block a lick. He'd still be a good player. That said, it's a big bonus if he could block well and Finley is alright at it.

As far as him being a problem. . . . He's confident. MM is good with egos. I think he can keep JF down.

Nobody was arguing that he would not be a good player based just on this receiving skills. The question is whether or not the coaches would be happy if refuses to even trying to block (as he suggests in his interview). Considering it would be a big bonus if he does block, I have to image that the coaches are going to be pissed if he won't do it.

Guiness
07-21-2011, 01:27 AM
Yea he said it as a 21 year old rookie 3 years ago. Big fricking deal! AR isn't going to give the guy a shout out like he did if he was the type to cause any trouble in the locker.

Yes, and I do consider that.

However, I was responding to the comment that said 'Never'. Never doesn't allow that wiggle room.

Tarlam!
07-21-2011, 08:45 AM
PS...my proof of this is that the NFL is getting to the point where most TE's are pass catchers and bad blockers()

Especially mentioned in draft reports on TE and RB is their ability, or lack of it, to block. Ideally, they can do it all, because defenses have one more possibility they have to account for.

Frankly, I prefer the old "any way I can help the team win, I'll do what I'm asked" type player - no matter how boring it is to read. It's the beginning of the end when players start telling coaches how they should be implemented. A notable exception is Charles Woodsen when he was publicly dismayed over how Capers was using him. Somehow, I imagine a constuctive talk between Chuck and Dom to be a different animal than JF and McAdoo.

Fritz
07-21-2011, 08:47 AM
I'm with Patler and Vince on this one: this isn't a big deal at the moment but it's worth noting and keeping an eye on.

But here's the bigger thing that no one has mentioned: he has a home in Minneapolis. Hello? Potentially unhappy-with-his-role player looking for a big pay day and coming nearer his free agency and with ties to Minneapolis?

He's going to end up a Viking.

sharpe1027
07-21-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm with Patler and Vince on this one: this isn't a big deal at the moment but it's worth noting and keeping an eye on.

But here's the bigger thing that no one has mentioned: he has a home in Minneapolis. Hello? Potentially unhappy-with-his-role player looking for a big pay day and coming nearer his free agency and with ties to Minneapolis?

He's going to end up a Viking.

Name one ex-Packer that has ever go to the Vikings.

Zool
07-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Name one ex-Packer that hasn't ever go to the Vikings.

Fixed

RashanGary
07-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Jmike's main point here is he's worked really hard on becoming a dominant pass catcher, he believes he's one of the best in the entire NFL and the Packers are going to use him not because he says so, but because he's dominant.

To his credit, the last time he said he was going to dominate, he did. I tend to believe him.

Now as far as blocking goes. He's always given good effort. He's thinner, but not lighter. That means he's stronger. He's one of the tough guys on the team. He's going to block his heart out when he's asked to block.

Thing is, asking JF to block a lot is like asking Clay Matthews to drop into coverage alot. It's just stupid. So, yeah, he's right. They're going to stand him up. When he said it, he said it because he knows they won't have a choice once they get him on the field.

pbmax
07-21-2011, 12:12 PM
Some TEs under 250 lbs or who had no use for blocking much of anything: Kellen Winslow(HOF), Ozzie Newsome(HOF) and Keith Jackson(All-Pro). And Dallas Clark, Jay Novacek, Brett Jones, Todd Christensen, Paul Coffman, Chris Cooley, and Shannon Sharpe.

And TEs who block from a 3 point stance must block DEs and OLBs. Not just small LBs or DBs, Heck, even Jennings blocks DBs.

But his weight isn't keeping him from blocking them. There are other TEs doing fine around 245-250 (Jason Witten is 257). His willingness is really the big question.

The next questions are his role and durability. I don't care about his comments to a reporter, or more precisely, I care about them far less than his willingness to listen to his coaches and perform his assigned task. So far he seems to have done that. The question about his weight and its affect on his durability and his stance, we will soon see.

Favre used to play this game every year too. Sometimes I thought it was an excuse for being out of shape. But Finley may discover that the weight does not work out well for him over the long season (as Favre did the year he was over 240). As far as Gates, I don't watch much of him except highlights and he seems to have gotten very heavy.

pbmax
07-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Especially mentioned in draft reports on TE and RB is their ability, or lack of it, to block. Ideally, they can do it all, because defenses have one more possibility they have to account for.

Frankly, I prefer the old "any way I can help the team win, I'll do what I'm asked" type player - no matter how boring it is to read. It's the beginning of the end when players start telling coaches how they should be implemented. A notable exception is Charles Woodsen when he was publicly dismayed over how Capers was using him. Somehow, I imagine a constuctive talk between Chuck and Dom to be a different animal than JF and McAdoo.

My bold. Would you feel better Tar if I told you that 50% of the people who told you that were lying?

Zool
07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
My bold. Would you feel better Tar if I told you that 50% of the people who told you that were lying?

I might even put that number a little higher.

pbmax
07-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I might even put that number a little higher.

Probably. And the same goes for "Its not about the money."

MJZiggy
07-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Probably. And the same goes for "Its not about the money."

And there's "it happens to everyone" too!

bobblehead
07-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Thing is, asking JF to block a lot is like asking Clay Matthews to drop into coverage alot. It's just stupid. So, yeah, he's right. They're going to stand him up. When he said it, he said it because he knows they won't have a choice once they get him on the field.

I disagree (more on the JF point). If a team is in the dime and we have JF and the new Hback in the game he needs to damn well block. If he can get on an LB and move him out of the play it allows the OL to double team a DL. Now we are down to fullbacks on Dbacks and such...a very successful recipe for the run game. However if he can't block in said scenario we might as well have a faster wide reciever on the field to match up with the dime.

bobblehead
07-21-2011, 04:52 PM

but if you are in it for the money, you are almost obligated to say "it happens to everyone" so you didn't really need to tie those 2 together that way.

Fritz
07-21-2011, 07:58 PM

And don't forget the infamous "It's not you; it's me."

Patler
07-21-2011, 10:29 PM
This has gotten off track, in my opinion. Finley is a relatively poor blocker at any weight. He has improved some, but he is not and never will be Bubba Franks in that regard. No big deal.

What bothers me a bit is this: He apparently decided on his own to lose weight even though he believes the coaches will not like it. The reasons they may not like it can have as much to do with him as a receiver as it does blocking. Maybe they think he needs the weight to work against linebackers. Who knows? It really doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that he took it upon himself to do something that he thinks the coaches won't like. That is just plain dumb.

It really doesn't even matter if the coaches do or don't like it. What matters is that he THINKS they won't like it, but went ahead and did it anyway.

pbmax
07-21-2011, 10:46 PM
It might not make any practical difference, but I took away from that article that he thought they wouldn't like him in more two point stances. Ultimately, weight is a harder measure to manage for a coach than position and stance. So I tend to agree that his urge to play more wideout will be the initial cause of conflict regardless of weight or blocking.

BTW, he seems to think that the packer took two blocking TEs in the draft. He might want to double check if/when he gets into town on Saturday.

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 03:56 AM
This has gotten off track, in my opinion. Finley is a relatively poor blocker at any weight. He has improved some, but he is not and never will be Bubba Franks in that regard. No big deal.

What bothers me a bit is this: He apparently decided on his own to lose weight even though he believes the coaches will not like it. The reasons they may not like it can have as much to do with him as a receiver as it does blocking. Maybe they think he needs the weight to work against linebackers. Who knows? It really doesn't matter. What DOES matter is that he took it upon himself to do something that he thinks the coaches won't like. That is just plain dumb.

It really doesn't even matter if the coaches do or don't like it. What matters is that he THINKS they won't like it, but went ahead and did it anyway.

Exactly how much weigh did he lose? 5 pounds? You think coaches like when players come to camp over weight? It happens all the time. You always have to make a big deal over nothing when it comes to Finley.

bobblehead
07-22-2011, 05:02 AM

I get all that, I just think he is talking without thinking....unless he slimmed down to 230 or so. I guess my point is that JMike likes to talk, and he is babbling. When camp starts he will work hard, be a poor, but willing blocker and do what he is asked. That is his history. I put this little rant up there with a politician who says he is for less spending and smaller government but has never actually legislated that way. Jmike is talking a fun game, but his history the last 2 years is that he talks a lot, and puts in the effort and does what they ask of him.

If that turns out to not be the case...well, he is in a contract year I believe.

Patler
07-22-2011, 05:48 AM
Exactly how much weigh did he lose? 5 pounds? You think coaches like when players come to camp over weight? It happens all the time. You always have to make a big deal over nothing when it comes to Finley.

It doesn't matter how much weight he lost. It doesn't matter if it was only a pound, or if he tried to lose weight and didn't. It doesn't matter if he tried to lose weight and ended up gaining ten pounds. What matters is that he went ahead and tried to do something that in his own mind he believes the coaches won't like. That's a poor attitude. It's an attitude that has to be watched by the staff.

I always make a big deal about Finley over nothing? I praised the guy non-stop his second season for making huge strides in maturity from the dumb things he had said and done as a rookie. I was 100% behind him, and I often said it was a joy to see that in a young man. I don't believe I was critical at all until his crybaby act with Barnett over the Super Bowl Picture. Now this. Basically, I am on the guy for not having matured as much as I thought. Besides, I have said repeatedly in this thread that it is not a big deal. However, it is something that needs to be watched. To just dismiss or ignore every dumb thing he says and does is wearing blinders.

I think he is one of those sports personalities that could go either way. His second year I thought he was headed the better way. Now I think he might be headed the prima dona direction. I hope he isn't.

Patler
07-22-2011, 05:57 AM
I just think he is talking without thinking....unless he slimmed down to 230 or so. I guess my point is that JMike likes to talk, and he is babbling.

You might very well be correct on that. I hope so. Then the only project is to teach him to think a bit more before he speaks.

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Bottom line what would help this team the most? Finleys pass catching ability or blocking ability? Are we a passing team or a running team? Did Finley say he is unwilling to block or did he say he's improving himself as a pass catcher? The dude isn't that sharpest tool in the shedl and maybe he speaks his mind alittle too much to the media BUT there have been no complaints from the coaches or teammates and until that happens we need to stop worrying about nothing.

Also remember you trying to make a big deal about how he is prone to injury and you only gave the guy a grade of a C+ on where he was drafted. Maybe it's just me but I don't think you want him as a Packer. Good thing Rosgers doesn't feel the same way :)

Patler
07-22-2011, 08:42 AM
Bottom line what would help this team the most? Finleys pass catching ability or blocking ability? Are we a passing team or a running team? Did Finley say he is unwilling to block or did he say he's improving himself as a pass catcher? The dude isn't that sharpest tool in the shedl and maybe he speaks his mind alittle too much to the media BUT there have been no complaints from the coaches or teammates and until that happens we need to stop worrying about nothing.

Also remember you trying to make a big deal about how he is prone to injury and you only gave the guy a grade of a C+ on where he was drafted. Maybe it's just me but I don't think you want him as a Packer. Good thing Rosgers doesn't feel the same way :)

Blocking isn't the issue. Attitude is. My concern has very little to do with whether or not weight loss will affect his blocking. Besides, as I have mentioned time and time again, losing weight can also affect his ability as a receiver working against LBs. Someone (you?) drew a comparison to Antonio Gates. Gates is shorter and heavier than Finley, so to be a better receiving TE, maybe he really needs to get stronger and heavier.

Finley has been injured, you can't deny that. He needs to show that he can stay healthy. I don't think that is really arguable. It's a simple fact. As you should recall, my grade of "C+" (or whatever it was) was based entirely on the fact that during the two seasons he was relied on to do something, he has missed significant time due to injury. I believe I also said that if he stays healthy, he has all the potential to be an A+. Somehow, you can't seem to accept that my grading was based on actual contributions, and when a guy misses 14 games in the two seasons that he was counted on to contribute, after doing little of nothing his rookie year (6 receptions) his actual contributions warrant no more than a "C+' in my opinion. The potential is certainly there to contribute at a much higher level if he stays on the field. But if you only play roughly half the games, your contributions are lessened significantly. That's not a knock against his ability, its simply an evaluation of his durability.

By the way, I have said many times that I would like to see him remain a Packer, that is why I am concerned about his attitude. Unfortunately, I suspect he will receive a very big offer when he becomes a free agent, and the Packers will let him go. Concerns about his durability might make them hesitant to sign him early.

Tarlam!
07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Arghhh screw it. Finley is black.