PDA

View Full Version : GB Nickel

Smidgeon
07-21-2011, 05:30 PM
For further proof that GB's nickel is league tops, GB had the highest ranked defense against 3 WRs, according to the highly complex and therefore never understood Football Outsider formulas:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/formation-analysis-number-wrs-part-ii

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Fuck me if I can make any sense of all those numbers. I wanted to be paid in advance to even try.

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Sam Shields!

vince
07-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Fuck me if I can make any sense of all those numbers. I wanted to be paid in advance to even try.
Just look at the rankings Harlan. That'll tell the tale close enough.

What makes Football Outsiders info more relevant than raw yardage stats, etc. are that they are adjusted to take into account the quality of opponent on a week-by-week basis, so they give an apples-to-apples comparison of performance vs. an "average" NFL opponent. A negative percentage indicates the the level of performance better than the norm and a positive percentage indicates the level of performance worse than the norm.

Since the Packers played 75% nickel last year regardless of how many receivers the opposition brought out, and Wood played nickel back in those situations, it indicates that he and the safeties when blitzed (which was a bunch) did a good job on the third receivers. It also shows that the Dom was very effective in getting pressure when the opposition had more guys running routes as opposed to blocking. Bottom line, that's when Woodson shines.