PDA

View Full Version : Green

Harlan Huckleby
07-21-2011, 10:21 PM
I've been seeing a lot of love for Alex Green, most gushingly from Justin Harrell. Why? He's a mid round pick who ran out of a spread offense in college. Any decent back will have a lot of wide-open, highlight runs in that offense. I'm not down on the guy, but do you really think he will be an upgrade over solid Jackson?

Scott Campbell
07-21-2011, 11:06 PM
I've been seeing a lot of love for Alex Green, most gushingly from Justin Harrell. Why? He's a mid round pick who ran out of a spread offense in college. Any decent back will have a lot of wide-open, highlight runs in that offense. I'm not down on the guy, but do you really think he will be an upgrade over solid Jackson?

I guess a 3rd rounder is a mid round pick. But we've gotten a lot of production from that round in the past.

HarveyWallbangers
07-21-2011, 11:47 PM
He looks good on tape. He's big, pretty fast, a bit shifty, can catch, big enough to be a good blocker. Lots to like. Personally, I was more impressed with Starks tape last year, but they both are impressive. Starks wasn't quite as fast last year as he was on tape. I'm hoping he'll show a little more burst after having missed so much time last offseason and early in the season.

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2011, 12:40 AM
I guess a 3rd rounder is a mid round pick. But we've gotten a lot of production from that round in the past.

last pick of the third round

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2011, 12:43 AM
I was more impressed with Starks tape last year, but they both are impressive.

I never considered comparing Green to Starks. I could be wrong, but I assume Green is drafted to be a third down back.

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 03:47 AM
IMO hes just another Najeh Davenport. I agree Starks in the better running back and its hard to see Green getting many carries behind him and Grant. I still say Randall Cobb will be the gem of this class. Also like what I see in DJ Williams.

Patler
07-22-2011, 06:06 AM
IMO hes just another Najeh Davenport. I agree Starks in the better running back and its hard to see Green getting many carries behind him and Grant. I still say Randall Cobb will be the gem of this class. Also like what I see in DJ Williams.

Cobb is the guy I am most anxious to see play. I think he can help the team a lot of different ways.

Patler
07-22-2011, 06:16 AM
Why is Green often referred to as a big back? I don't think of 6'0", 225 as being a big back. Bigger than some, sure, but there are those that are 15-20 pounds heavier that I think of as big backs. Maybe he tries to run like a big back, but most of the highlight tapes I have seen show him running through big holes untouched. Not much to see in many of those runs except that he had decent speed relative to the guys he was playing against. Not sure how that stacks up against NFL defenses.

Brandon494 suggested that he could be another Najeh Davenport, which might be right. If he is, he will serve a good purpose in a backup, sometime starter roll for a few years. Davenport was a big back at 245-250.

bobblehead
07-22-2011, 06:30 AM

I disagree on Green. TT has shown a good eye on RB's (BJack has skills, but 2nd round was a reach). I think he will be solid.

BUT...I am also pegging DJ Williams as the sleeper pick that will contribute from all sorts of positions on the offense. I think he was drafted to an MM toy.

Cobb is most likely to help immediately through the return game imo, and if he developes as a slot reciever poor mans Percy Harvin, that would be awesome.

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 06:58 AM
You say TT has a good eye for talent at the RB position then you use Brandon Jackson as a example.... FAIL. Green might turn out to be a special player but I don't see it. TT has shown a good eye for talent at the WR position and I believe Randall will be the 2nd best WR he has drafted behind only Jenning. I know a lot of you don't follow Kentucky or even watch college football but I'm a football nut and I guarantee this guy will be a player.

Tarlam!
07-22-2011, 07:57 AM
You say TT has a good eye for talent at the RB position then you use Brandon Jackson as a example.... FAIL.

Well, he's an excellent blitz reader and 3rd down back. so, I wouldn't say fail.

My memory is a bit fuzzy, but was TT responsible for the trade that brought Ahmad Green in?

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 08:08 AM
I believe he was.... as the Seahawks GM. Also I would say fail because you don't draft a running back in the 2nd round to be a 3rd down back. 2nd round players are suppose to be starters and Jackson had plenty of opportunities to prove that last season and guess what? He FAILED!

SkinBasket
07-22-2011, 08:15 AM
I believe he was.... as the Seahawks GM. Also I would say fail because you don't draft a running back in the 2nd round to be a 3rd down back. 2nd round players are suppose to be starters and Jackson had plenty of opportunities to prove that last season and guess what? He FAILED!

Where did TT state Green was drafted specifically to be a 3rd down back?

Tarlam!
07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
You don't draft a QB in the 2nd to put him on the PS either, Brandon. But TT did. He also drafted a 7th round QB that is being speculated as a starter on other teams. So, if BJ had landed on the PS I would say fail. Except, you also can't argue that Grant was a great trade.

By your standard, he's a failure at drafting most positions, even QB.

ThunderDan
07-22-2011, 08:59 AM
You don't draft a QB in the 2nd to put him on the PS either, Brandon. But TT did. He also drafted a 7th round QB that is being speculated as a starter on other teams. So, if BJ had landed on the PS I would say fail. Except, you also can't argue that Grant was a great trade.

By your standard, he's a failure at drafting most positions, even QB.

And on the flip side.....

You don't expect 2 undrafted free agents to become your 2nd CB and nickleback.

I know what you are saying Tarlam! but we should really look at the whole picture.

pbmax
07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Where did TT state Green was drafted specifically to be a 3rd down back?

I think you mean Jackson, not Green.

pbmax
07-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Why is Green often referred to as a big back? I don't think of 6'0", 225 as being a big back. Bigger than some, sure, but there are those that are 15-20 pounds heavier that I think of as big backs. Maybe he tries to run like a big back, but most of the highlight tapes I have seen show him running through big holes untouched. Not much to see in many of those runs except that he had decent speed relative to the guys he was playing against. Not sure how that stacks up against NFL defenses.

Brandon494 suggested that he could be another Najeh Davenport, which might be right. If he is, he will serve a good purpose in a backup, sometime starter roll for a few years. Davenport was a big back at 245-250.

Six foot is tall for a RB these days, Grant is over 6' 1" and is thought to be big as well. But neither is particularly heavy.

Smidgeon
07-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Six foot is tall for a RB these days, Grant is over 6' 1" and is thought to be big as well. But neither is particularly heavy.

And Starks is ginormous for a running back. At least in the height department...

smuggler
07-22-2011, 01:21 PM
The biggest appeal of Green, for me, is his ability to make people miss without costing too much northboun speed. I don't know how well that will translate to the pro level, but the film of him juking dudes out of their shoes with barely a stutter is what has me excited. You didn't see that from Starks last year, or in his college film. Grant hardly makes people miss, and seldom breaks tackles.

SkinBasket
07-22-2011, 03:40 PM
I think you mean Jackson, not Green.

details...

mraynrand
07-22-2011, 04:27 PM
You say TT has a good eye for talent at the RB position then you use Brandon Jackson as a example.... FAIL. Green might turn out to be a special player but I don't see it. TT has shown a good eye for talent at the WR position and I believe Randall will be the 2nd best WR he has drafted behind only Jenning. I know a lot of you don't follow Kentucky or even watch college football but I'm a football nut and I guarantee this guy will be a player.

What kind of guarantee are you offering?

MadtownPacker
07-22-2011, 06:22 PM
Hey Brandon, what you doing with them white gurls?? Gonna get you mulatto ass lynched! :lol:

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Had the old one for a while so I figured I'd add some eye candy.... and piss some posters off haha

SkinBasket
07-22-2011, 06:57 PM
Had the old one for a while so I figured I'd add some eye candy.... and piss some posters off haha

Congrats on posing like you're banging the mom sister combo. YOu should have those eyebrows waxed though.

Brandon494
07-22-2011, 07:05 PM
2 easy

Harlan Huckleby
07-22-2011, 07:07 PM
TT is hardly going to announce that a drafted running back is destined to be a modestly paid, lunch-bucket-toting 3rd down back. All those guys come into the league as college studs, they think they are the second coming of Jim Brown. But I expect TT recognized that both BJ and Green are most likely to be valuable NFL role players. BJ excels as a 3rd down back, we should be satisfied if Green becomes as good.

SkinBasket
07-23-2011, 07:08 AM
2 easy

I'm sorry you expect us to be impressed you took a picture with a girl and her mom.

wist43
07-23-2011, 09:00 AM
I think he could be a big upgrade over Jackson... never liked Jackson though, so I'm biased right out of the gate.

Jackson worked his way up to below-average/servicable. As a 3rd down back, he certainly was never a back that had to be accounted for on 3rd down... that should tell you something.

Green is bigger and faster... right there he's an upgrade. If he can stay healthy, and the game isn't too big for him... his ceiling is much higher than Jackson's.

Brandon494
07-23-2011, 09:24 AM
Hahaha where do you see a mom? Also why do you think I'm trying to impress anyone? I just wanted to post a picture with chicks on it but I fucking knew you would be the first one to talk shit about it and that's what's funny! Hahaha 2 easy

SkinBasket
07-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Hahaha where do you see a mom? Also why do you think I'm trying to impress anyone? I just wanted to post a picture with chicks on it but I fucking knew you would be the first one to talk shit about it and that's what's funny! Hahaha 2 easy

Wow, you've really delved deep to figure me out.

Anywho, to your question... Well, the lady on the left and one in the back both look kind of crusty. But I think the one in the back might be a guy or she has some dirt on her chin from... well... I don't want to speculate. So I'm going to say the one on the left is the mom. What do I win?

PS: It's a very nice photo.

smuggler
07-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Hell yeah, nice pic B494!

Scott Campbell
07-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I just wanted to post a picture with chicks on it but I fucking knew you would be the first one to talk shit about it and that's what's funny!

So which one is you?

Brandon494
07-23-2011, 10:09 AM
I'm the blonde with the ball sack xoxo

HarveyWallbangers
07-23-2011, 10:21 AM
I'm confused. What's supposed to piss people off about changing your avartar?

SkinBasket
07-23-2011, 10:42 AM

As far as I can tell, someone's supposed to be upset that he takes pictures with old women and their daughters. The outpouring of anger has been overwhelming.

MadtownPacker
07-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Congrats on posing like you're banging the mom sister combo. YOu should have those eyebrows waxed though.
Haha, you where off to such a good start until your metrosexual tendencies kicked in. Wax eybrows?? Hope you added tweezers to the survival pack. :lol:

MadtownPacker
07-23-2011, 11:57 AM
TT is hardly going to announce that a drafted running back is destined to be a modestly paid, lunch-bucket-toting 3rd down back. All those guys come into the league as college studs, they think they are the second coming of Jim Brown. But I expect TT recognized that both BJ and Green are most likely to be valuable NFL role players. BJ excels as a 3rd down back, we should be satisfied if Green becomes as good.
I dont know you ballsniffer. TT has had great success in the mid rounds. IMO any draft pick of TT's could become a star.

I cant believe you dont have a greater respect for the only man in Wisconsin more in the closet than you.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2011, 12:08 PM
so you think TT drafted Jackson to get a BJ?

Probably TT expect more from his BJ than a third down back, he went 2nd round after all.

pbmax
07-23-2011, 12:08 PM

See Madtown and Skin's responses. Brandon changed the pic, people responded. Now they get to argue about what it all means.

Brandon is betting he will see barely suppressed anger that there is a black man socializing with two white women, or perhaps people aghast that he would post such a thing just hoping to get a response (the less fun option). Madtown is joking that is exactly what will happen with a comment meant to both acknowledge the implicit racism that will follow but also dismiss it as worth only a laugh. Skin is giving Brandon almost what he was hoping for, but using the age issue as a substitute for race in order to deliver the message without needing to post something objectionable outright, thereby avoiding being labeled a racist while trying to incite Brandon to say something he will regret. If successful, then Skin will get to tell us exactly what is wrong with people like Brandon.

As usual, Skin is up on points so far.

Or it could be that there is just a cigar in the picture.

What the men (term used loosely) really want to do is call each other names without suffering any kind of backlash. Which is why this happens on the internet, instead of actual life. This also passes for politics today.

Brandon494
07-23-2011, 12:33 PM
As usually Pbmax you nailed it.

MadtownPacker
07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
so you think TT drafted Jackson to get a BJ?

Probably TT expect more from his BJ than a third down back, he went 2nd round after all.
Possibly but my point is that TT knows a good man when he sees one. One of his great strengths for choosing talent IMO.

Yoop
07-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Did I make it, I'am finally a packer rat, had trouble posting, so I hope this works, anyway, nice forum, some good topics, and posters.

To me Jackson was just a miss, that happens, he turned into a pretty good 3rd down RB, runs well after the catch, blocks well also, I think he'll catch on with a team with lesser talent if he doesn't get signed here.

Hard to keep everyone, and also give playing time to Starks and Green, I think Starks is the upgrade on Jackson though, he looks to be a good blocker and receiver, and we know how well he can run, I dont know much about Green, want to see him in camp and preseason if we ever have one, this lock out sucks.:-(

Patler
07-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Did I make it, I'am finally a packer rat, had trouble posting, so I hope this works, anyway, nice forum, some good topics, and posters.

To me Jackson was just a miss, that happens, he turned into a pretty good 3rd down RB, runs well after the catch, blocks well also, I think he'll catch on with a team with lesser talent if he doesn't get signed here.

Hard to keep everyone, and also give playing time to Starks and Green, I think Starks is the upgrade on Jackson though, he looks to be a good blocker and receiver, and we know how well he can run, I dont know much about Green, want to see him in camp and preseason if we ever have one, this lock out sucks.:-(

Hi Yoop. (Yes, you did make it. I hope the initiation wasn't too rough!)

I expect Jackson to take the path of so many RBs before him and on other teams. After your rookie contract, if you aren't "the man" you are replaced for a younger version.

Iron Mike
07-23-2011, 03:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMq6vduTK_E

Check him out in his Butte College days....

Yoop
07-23-2011, 05:01 PM
thanks, he looked good at that level, he looks fast and runs with nice balance, caught a couple passes and also picked up the blitz, if they would ever get this CBA done it will be nice to see them in camp and PS. hopefully these players will recognise a good deal and sign it.

mission
07-23-2011, 07:13 PM
thanks, he looked good at that level, he looks fast and runs with nice balance, caught a couple passes and also picked up the blitz, if they would ever get this CBA done it will be nice to see them in camp and PS. hopefully these players will recognise a good deal and sign it.

Welcome yoop!

SkinBasket
07-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Welcome yoop!

Any friend of Patler's is going to be well received here. Just don't blow by posting pictures of yourself posing with old ladies.

Brandon494
07-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Haha where do you see old ladies?

Bossman641
07-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Green is probably the player I am most excited to see this preseason. He has the measurables but its hard to put a lot into his highlights given the holes and level of competition.

Tarlam!
07-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Green is probably the player I am most excited to see this preseason. He has the measurables but its hard to put a lot into his highlights given the holes and level of competition.

JH has already ordained him to becoming a star. It has now been written in blood and is as certain as the next Amen in a church.