PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting to like Chris Kluwe

Patler
07-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Background: Kluwe called Mankins, Jackson, etc. "douchebags" for requesting special treatment. Nate Jackson responded with with an article belittling punters:

Jackson; article:
http://deadspin.com/5823549/dear-chris-kluwe-when-we-want-the-punters-opinion-well-ask-for-it-we-wont

Kluwe responded with this:
http://deadspin.com/5823788/chris-kluwe-responds-can-i-kick-it-yes-i-can

Jackson's article is meaningless. Kluwe makes points that are relevant to the CBA situation. Whether you agree or disagree with his points, at least he makes some, in a clever and sarcastic way. He recognizes how truly lucky they are to do what they do for the money they get.

MJZiggy
07-23-2011, 08:23 AM
@chriskluwe:worship:

(when I read the thread title, I was going to make some crack about Marcus Bachmann curing you, but now I can't.)

Scott Campbell
07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Score one for the punters.

pbmax
07-23-2011, 09:07 AM
He comes off the winner in that episode. Though I don't agree with his initial position, he makes his case (and defends himself) far better than Jackson, who clearly failed to be either intimidating or funny.

MadtownPacker
07-23-2011, 01:23 PM
Damn, we need these aholes to start posting on here!

jmbarnes101
07-23-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm glad Kluwe verbally beat him. Nate Jackson's comments, likely shared by a large number of current and former players, regarding how they shouldn't settle for less than 100% of everything shows how badly they're out of touch with reality. Exploited and enslaved? Really? Here's a thought for all you idiotic players who think you're slaves... get a real f'n job and shut up.

pbmax
07-23-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm glad Kluwe verbally beat him. Nate Jackson's comments, likely shared by a large number of current and former players, regarding how they shouldn't settle for less than 100% of everything shows how badly they're out of touch with reality. Exploited and enslaved? Really? Here's a thought for all you idiotic players who think you're slaves... get a real f'n job and shut up.

What would you say to Reggie White and Deion Sanders, who (among other named defendants) got lifetime exemptions from the franchise tag in the 1992 suit?

In fact, can anyone think of a good reason that isn't being offered as part of the lawsuit settlement (hint, there are likely two reasons)?

And none of the players are asking for 100% of everything. They are driving the hardest bargain they can. Just as the owners are. To assert one side is greedier than the other is nonsense.

As for exploited, there is an ongoing lawsuit against the NFLPA (and tangentially the NFL) by former players for compensation over their likeness rights in video games and other merchandise. In the last year, they were awarded a very large settlement (I don't think the appeals are over). Couldn't they rightly claim to having been exploited, even if they aren't destitute?

Jackson has a legitimate angle to criticize Kluwe's position. He just doesn't bother with it while he insults Kluwe.

jmbarnes101
07-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Max, first off I think both sides are greedy and you're right about some things but for him to say that players are exploited and oppressed by the NFL is, in my opinion, absolutely absurd. He himself said it's us vs them and we need to take them for everything they're worth. It's about power and money and everything else is a smokescreen.

bobblehead
07-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Jackson has a legitimate angle to criticize Kluwe's position. He just doesn't bother with it while he insults Kluwe.

What made it so bad is that he didn't limit himself to insulting Kluwe, he insulted every punter to ever play the game.

I'll take it a step further. Everything Jackson said could be applied to most QB's. Punters have a gift of kicking the ball, QB's have a gift of throwing the ball. Neither are generally great athletes. Does that mean the QB's should shut the fuck up as well?

Smidgeon
07-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Kluwe's article was a very compelling read. I think I like him too.

Partial
07-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Rome's interview with him was hilarious over his "Delta Bravo" blast. Awesome stuff!

Tarlam!
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Everything Jackson said could be applied to most QB's. Punters have a gift of kicking the ball, QB's have a gift of throwing the ball. Neither are generally great athletes. Does that mean the QB's should shut the fuck up as well?

I can't agree with this Bobble. QB is widely regarded as the single most important position on the team.

Jimx29
07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
This is from Kluwe a couple months ago

http://i51.tinypic.com/9sw4si.jpg

Smidgeon
07-25-2011, 01:48 PM
I can't agree with this Bobble. QB is widely regarded as the single most important position on the team.

"Important" doesn't mean "athletic".

pbmax
07-25-2011, 01:52 PM
"Important" doesn't mean "athletic".

Craig Morton and Drew Bledsoe would like to disagree, but they can't get up from their couch.

bobblehead
07-25-2011, 06:55 PM

Agree completely. Does that mean that they look good trying to make a tackle on an interception? Can many of them break a 4.9 in the 40? Are any of them "tough guys" in the same mold as a linebacker?

Almost all the points he made in diminishing the punter apply to the QB as well. MY point is simple. Punter plays a vital role (don't believe me? ask Tom Coughlin) QB is the most important role on the field. But Jackson basically says punters should shut up because they are "less manly". Its not that they don't get on the field but 4 plays a game, its that they are wimpy. If it was the playtime that mattered then Kluwe has more of a right to his opinion than Jackson who likely saw less snaps than Kluwe has in his career. No, Jackson is insulting punters as pussies. And as I said, the same can be said for about 90% of the QB's in the game who are less athletic than I am (by nearly any measureable that doesn't include throwing a football).....but have a golden arm, just like a punter has a golden leg.

My point is that Jackson's opinion is ignorant.

MadScientist
07-25-2011, 07:09 PM
Are any of them "tough guys" in the same mold as a linebacker?

Nobody game plans to hit a linebacker as much as possible. The opposing teams do not try to knock a LB out of the game. (Same goes for punters, so therefore LB's and punters are not tough, but QB's are).

bobblehead
07-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Nobody game plans to hit a linebacker as much as possible. The opposing teams do not try to knock a LB out of the game. (Same goes for punters, so therefore LB's and punters are not tough, but QB's are).

How old are you mad? I remember a day when QB's needed to be tough.....now they wear skirts (ok, I'm being a bit harsh, but they are treated with kid gloves.)

MadScientist
07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
How old are you mad? I remember a day when QB's needed to be tough.....now they wear skirts (ok, I'm being a bit harsh, but they are treated with kid gloves.)

You may remember the rules, but the players back then were smaller, slower and went for tackling more than blowing people up. Also 20 years ago they had the extreme 'in the grasp' rule that thankfully is gone.

bobblehead
07-26-2011, 09:58 AM
You may remember the rules, but the players back then were smaller, slower and went for tackling more than blowing people up. Also 20 years ago they had the extreme 'in the grasp' rule that thankfully is gone.

ACtually the in the grasp thing was a short lived phenom. The guys were smaller, but head shots to the QB were accepted practice, and the 2 step rule....UGH!!! QB's like staubach had their careers shortened by the lack of reasonable protection.

And I stand by my statement. QB's are no more athletic or tough than most average college D3 athletes. Certainly not any moreso than the punters.

pbmax
07-26-2011, 10:34 AM
Headshots with arms were common. Much more recent is the development of the helmet as lead implement on the ball as a preferred technique. Or to aim for the earhole of a QB with it. Also recent is the launch, no wrapup, helmet first kill shot in the back seven of a defense. No team used to allow it because the player cannot see where they what they were hitting. That doesn't seem to matter much anymore.

Chuck Bednarik nearly killed Frank Gifford with his arm and shoulder, not his helmet. That is what has changed.

Freak Out
07-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I hate the damn Viking.