PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Timeline Given To Players Exec Committee

pbmax
07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
From PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/25/the-timeline-given-to-executive-committee-and-player-representatives/

The timeline given to Executive Committee and player representatives
Posted by Mike Florio on July 25, 2011, 1:15 PM EDT
Picture taken on October 29, 2010 in Par Getty Images

Everyone has a timeline, so we decided we should get one, too.

We got ours from a pretty good source. It’s the actual hard copy that was presented this morning to the NFLPA* Executive Committee and board of player representatives for consideration.

Titled “Article 11, Transition Rules for the 2011 League Year,” here’s what the document provides.

Today, the NFL will publish a Free Agency List.

On Tuesday, team facilities will open for voluntary training, conditioning, and classroom instruction.

On Tuesday, trades can begin.

At 10:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, teams may sign drafted rookies, undrafted rookies, and negotiate with (but not sign) their own unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, exclusive-rights players, and franchise players.

Also, beginning at 10:00 a.m. ET on Tuesday, teams may negotiate with, but not sign or give offer sheets to, other team’s unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, and franchise players.

At 4:01 p.m. ET on Thursday, teams may waive or terminate player contracts.

At 6:00 p.m. ET on Friday, teams may renegotiate existing player contracts.

Also at 6:00 p.m. ET on Friday, teams sign their own unrestricted free agents, restricted free agents, exclusive-rights free agents, and franchise players.

Also at 6:00 p.m. ET on Friday, teams may sign unrestricted free agents from other teams, restricted free agents from other teams, and franchise players from other teams.

No payment of any kind can be made to any player until the CBA has been ratified by the players.

The 2011 league year will begin no later than August 4. When the 2011 league year begins, teams must be under the salary cap. (Specifically, their highest 51 cap numbers must fit under the cap.)

Thus, look for some teams to possibly go over the projected cap this week, and then to find a way to get under the cap before the official start of the league year.

red
07-25-2011, 12:43 PM
get ready for football overload

we're bout to get 5 months worth of trades signings and rumors compacted into the next 4 or 5 days

Patler
07-25-2011, 12:45 PM
The one item that stands out as out of place to me is:

"At 4:01 p.m. ET on Thursday, teams may waive or terminate player contracts."

Why wait with that? Why not allow teams to do that right away and give the players more of a chance to shop themselves around?

red
07-25-2011, 12:55 PM
The one item that stands out as out of place to me is:

"At 4:01 p.m. ET on Thursday, teams may waive or terminate player contracts."

Why wait with that? Why not allow teams to do that right away and give the players more of a chance to shop themselves around?

this is just a complete guess here, but yesterday i read that theres something like 500 free agents right now. maybe they're trying to stagger all the guys hitting the open market so its a little less nuts?

MJZiggy
07-25-2011, 01:10 PM
And I had to schedule myself to work tomorrow. What mayhem that's going to be!

pbmax
07-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Florio has a schedule at his site for offseason and workout bonuses to be paid out in the compressed timeframe. I think the date you could release them had to fall after FA opened and before bonuses were due (its not the letter of the law in previous CBA offseasons, but its the practical effect-basically anywhere from 1-15 days to sniff FA and then dump before most offseason bonuses were due). This year its even more compressed as negotiations with UFA and your own exclusive signing period happen at the same time.

The upshot this year is if teams drops the player before that date, they get to recover (some) of the bonus money (much of the option offseason bonuses and some of the workout bonus money).

Smidgeon
07-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Packers training camp opens Friday.

red
07-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Packers training camp opens Friday.

thats when the players get there. first practice open to the public is this saturday

whoohoo

pbmax
07-26-2011, 10:28 AM
For Patler, PFT has a bunch of vets waiting to be cut (such as McGahee, Heap and Mason) who were given a heads up prior to the official transaction. Unclear whether they can talk to other teams or no.