PDA

View Full Version : Packers UDFA announcements

mission
07-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I'll try to find some videos or links of these guys... chime in with info if you have it!

Shaky Smithson - KR - Utah

Tori Gurley - WR - South Carolina

Sampson Genus - C - South Florida

Diondre Borel - QB - Utah State

Probably a bad threat title... announcements? Not really yet. I guess these guys could all change their minds before 10 AM tomorrow but early signs on twitter point to 'yes'...

Bretsky
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Did we sign these guys ?

Shaky Smithson is a guy I'll cheer for

mission
07-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Shaky looks like an early fan favorite:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6gk_FjbY1w&feature=related
293 total yards this game... first run is REEEEEEE-dikulahs.

Gurley likes a big dude with a little playmaking ability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvbQRcr2UzQ

mission
07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Did we sign these guys ?

Shaky Smithson is a guy I'll cheer for

I guess not technically but they have Packer hats on their twitter and stuff... saying headed to GB etc. Just trying to get the scoop

How could you not want a guy named Shaky on your team???

Joemailman
07-25-2011, 09:51 PM
A kick returner named Shaky? I hope that's a reference to his elusiveness, and not to his ability to catch the ball.

Brando19
07-25-2011, 10:26 PM
With the new kickoff rule...will a kick returner be as effective? Most kicks will be touchbacks.

Tarlam!
07-25-2011, 10:47 PM
I remember having Shaky on my draft wish list. I think Bretsky brought him up in a draftnik topic. I do know he was a guest at Lambeau.

mission
07-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I remember having Shaky on my draft wish list. I think Bretsky brought him up in a draftnik topic. I do know he was a guest at Lambeau.

Nice calls!

mission
07-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Middle Tennessee St OLB Jamari Lattimore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7BxqfkuKWY

looks like a smaller poor man's demarcus ware.. speed man, i dig it..

(#11 in video. took me awhile to figure that out)

mission
07-25-2011, 11:04 PM
shaky is supposedly very much a high character guy.

Freak Out
07-26-2011, 02:27 AM
Fake names.

Patler
07-26-2011, 03:28 AM
shaky is supposedly very much a high character guy.

Sure sounds like it. "Rescued" his younger brother by becoming his legal guardian:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-falcons/draft-prospect-shaky-smithson-926015.html

Patler
07-26-2011, 03:46 AM
TT sure has defined his profile for the type of players he likes. here's another one:

Sampson Genus - Just like so many of the players TT finds, Genus is described as the hardest working guy on the team, a team leader, smart (graduated in 3 1/2 years in criminology), versatile (started one year at DT) "special" in the eyes of his coaches, etc.

An article from last fall:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls-center-sampson-genus-keeps-impressing-with-work-ethic/1112689

Iron Mike
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
What about that DT from the Colorado School of Mines???

vince
07-26-2011, 07:30 AM
TT sure has defined his profile for the type of players he likes. here's another one:

Sampson Genus - Just like so many of the players TT finds, Genus is described as the hardest working guy on the team, a team leader, smart (graduated in 3 1/2 years in criminology), versatile (started one year at DT) "special" in the eyes of his coaches, etc.

An article from last fall:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/usf-bulls-center-sampson-genus-keeps-impressing-with-work-ethic/1112689
Thanks for posting that Patler. Very interesting kid. I hope he turns some heads.

His coach said he's the quickest off the line he's ever seen. Obviously everyone that makes it in the NFL is special, but I'll be watching him.

Patler
07-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Thanks for posting that Patler. Very interesting kid. I hope he turns some heads.

His coach said he's the quickest off the line he's ever seen. Obviously everyone that makes it in the NFL is special, but I'll be watching him.

Some guys get signed to be camp bodies, to take up snaps during an efficiently run practice. Others have qualities such that they might have a long shot of sticking around. Genus seems like he has qualities including quickness, strength, intelligence and dedication that give him a chance.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 08:13 AM

Because I watched him play at Utah. But he's a great guy.

Patler
07-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Because I watched him play at Utah. But he's a great guy.

You don't like him as a player? Why not?

pbmax
07-26-2011, 09:35 AM
The best names never stick (except for Atari).

Where have you gone Scorpio Babers?
A camp roster spot turns its lonely eyes to you.

I got no recent hits on DT Blaine Sumner - the Colorado School of Mines Vanilla Gorilla according to Football Future message boarders.

Patler
07-26-2011, 10:18 AM
The best names never stick (except for Atari).

So I suppose an O-lineman named Sampson (Genus) has no more chance of making it than one named Atlas (Herrion)?

Sampson and Atlas on the same line would have sounded kind of good!

TennesseePackerBacker
07-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Saw WR Gurley play more than a handful of times last year. He sometimes fails to create seperation, and also can have the dropsies. Not sure how I feel about him other than he's a big WR with better than average speed.

Camp body special.

Spaulding
07-26-2011, 10:51 AM
What about that DT from the Colorado School of Mines???

This site has the Packers signing him:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2011/7/26/2294257/packers-off-to-a-fast-start-signing-undrafted-free-agents

red
07-26-2011, 11:03 AM
looks like TT wants to find another undrafted gem for OLB

Marc Schiechl will be an OLB for us, could be a guy to watch for

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 11:05 AM
You don't like him (Shaky Smithson) as a player? Why not?

I don't think his game translates to the NFL at all. He's not very explosive. Camp body.

Patler
07-26-2011, 11:16 AM
looks like TT wants to find another undrafted gem for OLB

Marc Schiechl will be an OLB for us, could be a guy to watch for

Or maybe for Jacksonville:

http://denver.sbnation.com/2011/7/25/2293935/marc-schiechl-jacksonville-jaguars-signing

Smidgeon
07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I want the twins to make it:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126154083.html

Patler
07-26-2011, 12:26 PM
A nose tackle named "Peanut"???
This should be good!

Lurker64
07-26-2011, 12:29 PM
A nose tackle named "Peanut"???
This should be good!

I think Elijah "Peanut" Joseph is the linebacker, his twin brother Eli is the nose tackle.

Patler
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
I think Elijah "Peanut" Joseph is the linebacker, his twin brother Eli is the nose tackle.

Ya, it looks like you are right; but JSO has them listed wrong, at least for now, (not surprising!):

Temple LB Eli Joseph
Temple NT Peanut Joseph

Fritz
07-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Hopefully "Shaky" does not refer to DT's, either. And I don't mean defensive tackles!

Zool
07-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Hopefully "Shaky" does not refer to DT's, either. And I don't mean defensive tackles!

Is that a Michael J Fox joke?

Fritz
07-26-2011, 03:19 PM
No, just a general reference to delirium tremens.

mission
07-26-2011, 06:52 PM
No, just a general reference to delirium tremens.

Good beer and production duo.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 01:31 AM
JOHN CLAY signed with the Steelers; he fits that offense well

SCOTT TOLZIEN went to San Diego. Good choice. N Turner works well with young CB's and they just have Volek as a backup

Smidgeon
07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Ya, it looks like you are right; but JSO has them listed wrong, at least for now, (not surprising!):

I'm suddenly curious how they're going to differentiate their names on the backs of the jerseys. Their last names are the same, and the first three letters of their first names as well. Plus, they're identical twins. Interesting.

MJZiggy
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm suddenly curious how they're going to differentiate their names on the backs of the jerseys. Their last names are the same, and the first three letters of their first names as well. Plus, they're identical twins. Interesting.
That's just a science project of some sort waiting to happen on genetics vs. talent vs. training.

Lurker64
07-27-2011, 02:07 PM

One of them will have a number in the 90s, and the other will have a number in the 50s. It's not going to be that hard.

Smidgeon
07-27-2011, 02:20 PM
One of them will have a number in the 90s, and the other will have a number in the 50s. It's not going to be that hard.

I know that part. I was just under the impression that identical last names required a first initial on a name patch as a way to differentiate. With their first names being so close...

Zool
07-27-2011, 02:25 PM
I know that part. I was just under the impression that identical last names required a first initial on a name patch as a way to differentiate. With their first names being so close...

It will probably be first initial, middle initial, last name. I'm not sure how the preseason rules apply. They probably don't matter unless they are on the active roster week 1.

vince
07-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Or they could go with Peanut and whatever nickname the other one has - Butter or Cashew or some shit.

Lurker64
07-27-2011, 03:02 PM

Yeah, I looked up the rule:

Rule 5, Subsection 3, Article 3

(b)Jersey must cover all pads and other protective equipment worn on the torso and upper arms, and must be appropriately tailored to remain tucked into the uniform pants throughout the game. Tearaway jerseys are prohibited. Mesh jerseys with large fish-net material (commonly referred to as “bullet-hole” or “port-hole” mesh) are also prohibited. Sur- names of players in letters a minimum of 21/2-inches high must be affixed to the exterior of jerseys across the upper back above the numerals; nicknames are prohibited; and in cases of duplicate surnames, the first initial of the given name must be used. All jerseys must carry a small NFL Equipment logo at the middle of the yoke of the neck on the front of the garment. All fabrics must be approved the League office prior to production.

My guess is one of them is "Joseph" and one of them is "E. Joseph" If we get a third Joseph, say Ed Joseph... then we're in trouble.

MadScientist
07-27-2011, 04:03 PM
The rule still doesn't require unique names on the back, given that they have the same first initial.

Do they have middle names with different starting letters?

MJZiggy
07-27-2011, 05:00 PM
The rule still doesn't require unique names on the back, given that they have the same first initial.

Do they have middle names with different starting letters?

Maybe one of them should change his name to Ocho Siete.

HowardRoark
07-27-2011, 05:23 PM
That's just a science project of some sort waiting to happen on genetics vs. talent vs. training.

According to this guy, it's all about the training.

http://nashvillebiz.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/talent-is-overrated-book-cover.png

MJZiggy
07-27-2011, 07:31 PM
According to this guy, it's all about the training.

http://nashvillebiz.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/talent-is-overrated-book-cover.png

Does it say anything in there about a 10,000 hour requirement? Gladwell, in the Outliers, claims that to be great at something one of the conditions (mind you, just one of them) is to have 10,000 hours of practice at it.

Iron Mike
07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Or they could go with Peanut and whatever nickname the other one has - Butter or Cashew or some shit.

Now, that would kick ass to see.........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v739/mike_zankle/loadPreview.jpg

Lurker64
07-28-2011, 05:04 PM
Packers released the official UDFA list: http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-sign-15-undrafted-free-agents/08d449ec-fdb4-4beb-974d-772895e3a858

It contains Elijah "Peanut" Joseph, but not Elisha "Eli" Joseph. I wonder what happened with the NT of the pair.

vince
07-28-2011, 08:09 PM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-sign-15-undrafted-free-agents/08d449ec-fdb4-4beb-974d-772895e3a858

The Green Bay Packers have signed 15 rookie free agents. The additions were announced Thursday by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Diondre Borel, WR, 6-0, 199. Utah State, Oakley, Calif.
Borel (Dee-on-dre, Buh-rel), 22, was a three-year starter at quarterback for the Aggies. He finished his career with several school records, including the mark for single-season total offense (3,343 yards in 2009), single-season rushing yards by a quarterback (632 in 2008) and career rushing yards by a quarterback (1,362). Borel threw for 6,698 yards in his career, good for No. 2 in Utah State history, and rushed for 1,398 yards.

Anthony Bratton, S, 6-0, 213, Delaware, Manassas, Va.
Bratton, 23, was named third-team All-America by The Associated Press in 2010 after posting 99 tackles, two interceptions, two forced fumbles and a team-high 12 pass breakups. He earned first-team All-Colonial Athletic recognition as a senior and second-team honors as a junior. For his career, Bratton appeared in 44 games with 39 starts and recorded 269 tackles, 19 pass breakups and seven interceptions.

Ray Dominguez, T, 6-4, 334, Arkansas, Bainbridge, Ga.
Dominguez, 23, appeared in 41 career games with 33 starts at tackle for the Razorbacks. As a senior in 2010, he was part of a line that helped the Arkansas offense break 24 season or single-game school records. The Razorbacks were the only team in the country to boast a 3,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard rusher and five 600-yard receivers.

Sampson Genus, C, 6-1, 315, South Florida, Lake City, Fla.
Genus (JEAN-us), 23, appeared in 44 games with 30 starts during his career and earned first-team All-Big East honors as a senior. As a junior in 2009, he earned second-team all-conference honors and was named USF’s Offensive Lineman of the Year by the coaches. In 2010, he was a finalist for the Wuerffel Trophy, an award given to the FBS player that best combines exemplary community service with academic and athletic achievement.

Tori Gurley, WR, 6-4, 216, South Carolina, Rock Hill, S.C.
Gurley, 23, started all 14 contests as a sophomore in 2010 and finished second on the team with 44 receptions for 465 yards (10.6 avg.) and four TDs. He tied a school single-game record with 14 catches at Vanderbilt in ’10. As a redshirt freshman, Gurley played in all 13 games with five starts and ranked third on the squad with 440 yards receiving on 31 grabs (14.2 avg.) with two TDs.

Jon Hoese, FB, 6-2, 238, Minnesota, Glencoe, Minn.
Hoese (HAZE-ee), 22, appeared in 11 games with seven starts as a senior in 2010. He rushed for 53 yards and three TDs on 19 carries, and added 97 yards receiving on 12 catches. As a junior, Hoese posted 103 rushing yards and a TD on 29 attempts along with 11 catches for 87 yards and a score. He began his career as a walk-on safety before converting to fullback prior to his sophomore campaign.

M.D. Jennings, S, 6-0, 187, Arkansas State, Calhoun City, Miss.
Jennings, 23, earned first-team All-Sun Belt Conference honors as a senior when he posted a career-high 84 tackles and matched his career best with three interceptions. As a junior in 2009, he ranked second on the squad with 64 tackles and tied for the conference lead with three fumble recoveries. He finished his career with 241 tackles, eight interceptions, 15 pass breakups and two sacks.

Elijah Joseph. LB, 6-1, 243, Temple, Hartford, Conn.
Joseph, 23, was a second-team All-Mid-American Conference selection as a senior and also was the recipient of the team’s Carlos Diaz Award as the most improved player. He played in 11 games with eight starts at MLB and finished second on the team with 71 tackles. As a junior in 2009, Joseph recorded 63 tackles, including 6½ for a loss, two sacks and two forced fumbles on his way to earning first-team All-MAC honors.

Jamari Lattimore, LB, 6-2, 230, Middle Tennessee St., Hialeah, Fla.
Lattimore, 22, was named the Sun Belt Conference Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, recording 68 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, 11½ sacks, two forced fumbles, two blocked kicks and a fumble recovery. He earned second-team All-Sun Belt Conference recognition as a junior when he posted 47 tackles, including 9½ tackles for loss, and 5½ sacks. Lattimore finished his career ranked second in school history with 20½ sacks in three seasons, appearing in all 38 games with 26 starts.

Brandian Ross, CB, 6-0, 191, Youngstown State, Richmond, Va.
Ross, 21, was a four-year letterwinner, appearing in 45 games with 33 starts during his career. He earned second-team All-Missouri Valley Conference recognition as a senior when he led the team with three interceptions and added 60 tackles (40 solo). Ross earned honorable mention all-conference honors at safety as a sophomore in 2008 before moving to cornerback for his final two seasons.

Brandon Saine, RB, 5-11, 220, Ohio State, Piqua, Ohio
Saine, 22, appeared in 49 games with 17 starts for the Buckeyes and finished his career with 1,408 rushing yards and 17 TDs. He was voted team captain as a senior and was a member of the Doak Walker Award preseason watch list. Saine posted a career-high 739 rushing yards and four TDs on 145 carries (5.1 avg.) as a junior in 2009. He added 616 receiving yards and eight TDs on 55 catches (11.2 avg.) during his career.

Theo Sherman, T, 6-4, 302, James Madison, Chatham, Va.
Sherman, 23, was a four-year starter at tackle for the Dukes and earned second-team All-Colonial Athletic Association honors as a senior. He earned third-team all-conference recognition as a sophomore and junior. In 2008, Sherman helped the Dukes average 38.1 points and 282.8 rushing yards per game.

Shaky Smithson, WR, 5-11, 202, Utah, Baltimore, Md.
Smithson, 23, was named a Walter Camp first-team All-America at punt returner as a senior in 2010 after leading the nation in punt return average (19.1) and punt return yards (572). He was named a first-team All-America all-purpose back by Scout/FoxSports.com as a senior and earned second-team All-America honors at punt returner from CBSSports.com and Phil Steele. Smithson added 383 receiving yards and three TDs on 25 catches (15.3 avg.) in 2010.

Vic So’oto, LB, 6-3, 263, BYU, Carlsbad, Calif.
So’oto (so-OH-toe), 24, started all 13 games at defensive end as a senior and earned first-team All-Mountain West Conference honors. He paced the team with 11½ tackles for loss and five sacks, adding 45 tackles, eight QB hurries, an interception and a forced fumble. So’oto also saw action at tight end earlier in his collegiate career, posting 124 yards on 12 receptions (10.3 avg.) as a sophomore in 2007.

Kerry Taylor, WR, 6-0, 196, Arizona State, Chandler, Ariz.
Taylor, 22, appeared in 46 games with 20 starts for the Sun Devils and finished his career with 112 receptions for 1,433 yards (12.8 avg.) and seven TDs. He led the team in receptions (54) and receiving yards (699) as a senior, posting career highs in each category. Taylor added three TD receptions in 2010, matching his career best, and registered five six-catch games on the season.

Lurker64
07-28-2011, 08:17 PM
The official count is 15. Only one of the Joseph twins - LB Peanut - has actually been signed after all.

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Packers-sign-15-undrafted-free-agents/08d449ec-fdb4-4beb-974d-772895e3a858

This post is curiously similar to another post that was made 3 hours earlier...

vince
07-28-2011, 08:22 PM
This post is curiously similar to another post that was made 3 hours earlier...
Yeah, sorry Lurk I missed that. After posting I saw it and added some of the details of the guys.

Lurker64
07-28-2011, 08:46 PM
Packer Report on twitter is reporting that the heftier Joseph is on the team, despite not being on the list. I wonder what's going on here.

vince
07-28-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm surprised there's not a QB on the list.

Joemailman
07-28-2011, 10:38 PM

I think they like Graham Harrell more than people realize.

Lurker64
07-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Borel was a QB in college, it's entirely possible they'll have him throwing when they have need of arms. Assuming everybody's healthy, there's really virtually no chance a QB other than Rodgers, Flynn, or Harrell makes the final 53.

vince
07-29-2011, 10:44 AM
I think they like Graham Harrell more than people realize.
I agree. I like him more than most, but I would have thought they'd bring in someone to at least push him.

Patler
07-29-2011, 11:23 AM
Packer Report on twitter is reporting that the heftier Joseph is on the team, despite not being on the list. I wonder what's going on here.

He had a season ending injury last year, I think. Perhaps he didn't pass his physical, or is awaiting a more detailed examination.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Beause both their names are Eli Joseph, I think he was left off of the list because someone thought it was a duplicate entry or something. I am being serious.

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Apparently the deal with Elisha Joseph was that he just didn't get his paperwork in on time to make the official announcement, but he's with the team.

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Elisha Jackson signing confirmed by the Packers.

We also signed Chris Donaldson, Oklahoma State. He's 6013 297, so he's presumably a DE.