PDA

View Full Version : BIKING TO GLORY

Bretsky
08-12-2006, 03:22 PM
I bought my first New Bike last week; a Low End, but nice black and red Raleigh M20 for about $200. Went for a bike ride last week and noted I'd like to ride the entire bike trail sometime. Mrs. Bretsky questioned whether I could go that far.

Today I decided to take the challenge of the 17 Mile Bike Trail. About 50% of it is on gravel and the other 50% on blacktopped surface.

Just returned from the road cruise and it took 1.5 hours to get through.

Not that good for you young in shape guys, but for a 38yr old overweight geezer like myself I think I did alright.

Now I'm pounding some water and then I'll be ready for some football !!

Cheers,
Bretsky

Partial
08-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Atta boy Bretsky!! I'm impressed man!!

MJZiggy
08-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Nice work, B. Hey Partial, can you ride a bike with a broken toe?

justanotherpackfan
08-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Bretsky, just curious what trail you rode on?

Bretsky
08-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Called the Glacier something trail between Fort Atkinson,WI and Milton, WI. It's 8.5 miles one way. Nothing too intense, but distance wise for a non biker it was still a challenge.

justanotherpackfan
08-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Called the Glacier something trail between Fort Atkinson,WI and Milton, WI. It's 8.5 miles one way. Nothing too intense, but distance wise for a non biker it was still a challenge.
Yep, your talking about the Glacial Drumlin trail. I usually bike from Lake Mills to Deerfield.

oregonpackfan
08-14-2006, 09:18 PM
When I lived in Wisconsin, I enjoyed riding the Sparta to Elroy bike trail. It used to be an old railroad line that had crushed limestone. It even had you going through a couple of tunnels. Because it was an old railroad line, the incline and/or descent was never more than 3 degrees.

Is it still available for cyclists?

OPF

Bretsky
08-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Yep, your talking about the Glacial Drumlin trail. I usually bike from Lake Mills to Deerfield.

FROM LAKE MILLS TO DEERFIELD ? Where in the heck do you live ?

justanotherpackfan
08-15-2006, 01:07 PM

Cambridge. I might even go for a ride along the trail tonight.

Partial
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Nice work, B. Hey Partial, can you ride a bike with a broken toe?

Don't know. I think I really aggrivated yesterday when I chased a buddy down outside. It is more swollen today than it has been since the day I initially injured it.

I bought a bike yesterday though, a nice 1970's Motobecane Mirage road bike. It's a bright, vibrant green and the paint is still looking pretty darn good. The tires and rims are pretty much shot, and I will probably redo the breaks and put a better derailer on. I think I can fix it up for about 150 bucks. I am not sure if I am going to sell it or keep it, since it'll be worth a ton of money when I fix it up. I'll most likely keep it though, since its really cool and vintage.

It just goes to show ya, one's garbage is another man's treasure!

Bretsky
08-15-2006, 06:39 PM

Awesome; I grew up in Cambridge and my parents still own a house on Lake Ripley

justanotherpackfan
08-15-2006, 11:55 PM

Awesome; I grew up in Cambridge and my parents still own a house on Lake Ripley
That's really cool. Cambridge is kind of boring but its not too bad.

Partial
08-16-2006, 12:37 AM
Alright guys, i've been super busy outside of the work day, but this weekend I should be able to get the bike cleaned up and get some pictures. I decided i'm going to try cleaning all the vintage parts instead of replacing them. Hopefully I can remove the rust and such. I'll take before and after pics!!