PDA

View Full Version : Kuhn looking for the FA bucks

Patler
07-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Kuhn will let the FA role play out:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126147638.html

Can't blame him at all. In his shoes, who wouldn't look for the best deal available? The next 4-5 years can set him up for life, financially.

Bossman641
07-26-2011, 06:40 AM
The quotes from him make it seem like he is looking for more of a halfback role. IMO he's in for a huge surprise if he thinks anyone would be looking for him to consistently run the ball.

vince
07-26-2011, 07:04 AM
I don't blame him either. He's a good football player and his fan popularity won't hurt him either. I agree that he won't likely get the opportunity to run the ball much with the stable of running backs now in Green Bay. For a guy like him, a million dollars either way makes a huge difference.

I think the Packers will be very disciplined about their offer to him and won't budge if he gets a better offer. They just have so much depth at the FB/H-back position. I'd say either Kuhn or Hall are gone and it depends on the offers Kuhn gets, as he will likely get a better offer elsewhere than Hall.

hoosier
07-26-2011, 07:45 AM
With decent running backs being a dime a dozen it is hard to imagine anyone offering Kuhn anything much more than minimum on the market. But maybe he takes that offer from some team that has no depth just so he can get more snaps on offense.

Patler
07-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Kuhn very well might receive a super bowl markup, as might Jones and Colledge. Jenkins was going to get his money regardless.

The one FA that concerns me just a bit is Crosby. I don't know how many teams are looking for a kicker, but now that he has a Super Bowl ring he might look for a nice big contract at a location more friendly to kickers than the NFC North with Lambeau and Soldier Field to contend with. If he decides he wants to leave, there isn't much the Packers can do at this point to encourage him to stay. If he does leave, there might no be a lot for the Packers to pick from in replacing him.

Patler
07-26-2011, 07:58 AM
With decent running backs being a dime a dozen it is hard to imagine anyone offering Kuhn anything much more than minimum on the market. But maybe he takes that offer from some team that has no depth just so he can get more snaps on offense.

I agree, but I think a team could easily convince themselves that he has a greater value than that. He's a FB that can play some running back, and is pretty good on special teams. That makes him a valuable guy on the game day roster. That could be enough to convince a team to give him a 3 or 4 year contract with minimum salaries, but a signing bonus to entice him to come. Extras like that could be a big thing for Kuhn.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 08:17 AM
I read a blurb earlier that Seattle was interested in Korey Hall.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 08:18 AM
Kuhn very well might receive a super bowl markup, as might Jones and Colledge. Jenkins was going to get his money regardless.

The one FA that concerns me just a bit is Crosby. I don't know how many teams are looking for a kicker, but now that he has a Super Bowl ring he might look for a nice big contract at a location more friendly to kickers than the NFC North with Lambeau and Soldier Field to contend with. If he decides he wants to leave, there isn't much the Packers can do at this point to encourage him to stay. If he does leave, there might no be a lot for the Packers to pick from in replacing him.

That's a guy that Ted normally wouldn't have let touch free agency.

Fritz
07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
I agree with the remarks here, particularly on Crosby. That would hurt - should he decide he wants to kick in a dome or a warm environment, and should some team decide it needs a big-legged kicker.

I can see Kuhn getting a marginally better offer somewhere else, and going. He does have to take care of his family, after all - it's not like an extra half million wouldn't make a difference to a guy like him.

I think Jones, Colledge, and Jenkins are all going to get offers bigger than what TT will pay.

Patler
07-26-2011, 08:21 AM
That's a guy that Ted normally wouldn't have let touch free agency.

Agreed. I expected all lost season to hear that an extension had been worked out with Crosby. Makes me wonder if the Packers didn't try or if Crosby was unwilling.

Brandon494
07-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Still think he stays in GB. It's not like he had an amazing season or playoff run, no one is going to overpay him just because the Packers won the SB.

vince
07-26-2011, 08:59 AM
There are quite a few teams with a ton of cap space they have to use up. Should be an interesting week or so.

jmbarnes101
07-26-2011, 09:11 AM
Apparently there is a report that James Jones was talking about joining San Francisco. Why anyone would wish to play there is beyond me.

Brandon494
07-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Apparently there is a report that James Jones was talking about joining San Francisco. Why anyone would wish to play there is beyond me.

Yea people say the samething about Green Bay.

Tony Oday
07-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Yea people say the something about Green Bay.

Bullshit. Tell me what player wouldnt want to come here.

bobblehead
07-26-2011, 09:55 AM
Someone will offer him more than the minimum. I don't think TT will. That isn't the reason I predicted we keep Hall over him, but it factors in.

I don't fear losing anyone but BJack. I think his role as ARod's personal bodyguard is undervalued by most. Whoever replaces him damn well better not whiff a block that ends in a concussion.

I would really like Jones back as well. He is a big play guy who obviously needs more consistency, but he is right in his prime at this point. A handful of seasons, but still young.

Jenkins is a no shot to sign. College is replaceable with Lang I believe. Crosby missed more clutch kicks than he made. And whoever I am forgetting must be forgettable.

Patler
07-26-2011, 10:03 AM
Still think he stays in GB. It's not like he had an amazing season or playoff run, no one is going to overpay him just because the Packers won the SB.

Edit - Are you referring to Kuhn or Crosby here. The following actually applies to either (absent the reference to kicking if you meant Kuhn! :) .

The point is that another team might not have to overpay him to get him. The Packers have nothing to entice him to stay at this point, if he would rather kick in a friendlier venue to kickers. He could leave for a lower offer than the Packers make, if that's what he wants. The Packers lost the advantage of re-signing him early, and they have no right to match or anything like that. The Packers may have to make the best offer to keep him, unless he really wants to be in GB.

Patler
07-26-2011, 10:08 AM
Someone will offer him more than the minimum. I don't think TT will. That isn't the reason I predicted we keep Hall over him, but it factors in.

I don't fear losing anyone but BJack. I think his role as ARod's personal bodyguard is undervalued by most. Whoever replaces him damn well better not whiff a block that ends in a concussion.

I would really like Jones back as well. He is a big play guy who obviously needs more consistency, but he is right in his prime at this point. A handful of seasons, but still young.

Jenkins is a no shot to sign. College is replaceable with Lang I believe. Crosby missed more clutch kicks than he made. And whoever I am forgetting must be forgettable.

The problem with Crosby is, who will you replace him with? The JSO article that interviewed scouts from other teams about the Packers' free agents identified Crosby as the best kicker available in free agency. Maybe he's not elite, yet; but he is probably better than anyone you get get to replace him.

Brandon494
07-26-2011, 10:11 AM

Are you being serious?

Tony Oday
07-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Are you being serious?

Yes. Tell me the player that wouldnt want to come to a historic organization, super bowl victor, great coach, stud QB and a great defense...seriously the "black man wont play her argument" is bogus. Hell do ANY of the players even live in GB in the off season?

Smidgeon
07-26-2011, 10:26 AM

He's from San Jose.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

If JJ goes the 49res they are a QB away from from being a very dangerous offense. They have like first 1st round picks on the oline, Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan........ If they can trade for Kolb or sign a decent QB in free agnecy, I could see them winning the division this year.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Yes. Tell me the player that wouldnt want to come to a historic organization, super bowl victor, great coach, stud QB and a great defense...

Brett Favre.

pbmax
07-26-2011, 10:39 AM

Keith Jackson. Adam Vinatieri. Michael Crabtree. Brad Childress.

pbmax
07-26-2011, 10:40 AM
The problem with Crosby is, who will you replace him with? The JSO article that interviewed scouts from other teams about the Packers' free agents identified Crosby as the best kicker available in free agency. Maybe he's not elite, yet; but he is probably better than anyone you get get to replace him.

This situation reminds me of every other Packer contract situation with a kicker/punter except for Longwell's resigning.

jmbarnes101
07-26-2011, 10:47 AM
Would still rather play for a team I know coming off a Superbowl victory in an offense I know taking catches from a top 3 QB than go play somewhere where I hope they can find a QB that can complete a pass. I understand the San Jose thing but unless Ted doesn't want him back or is lowballing him I know where I'd rather be but that's just me. Most free agent WR's are not as good in new homes.

I think we need to bring back Crosby and Jones. Really worried about what happens if Driver, Jennings, or Nelson were to get hurt. Also, there isn't a better kicker out there available than Mason. Everyone else can be replaced fairly easily.

MJZiggy
07-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Well this isn't helping. He just talks about wanting to get back to work.
"Thanks to all the fans for your patience through this process. Time to get back on the field!"

vince
07-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Kuhn's a different, more versatile player, but he will be going up against Vonta Leach, Jason Snelling and La'Ron McLain in the free agent fullback market. Should be interesting.

Smidgeon
07-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Doesn't sound as if Crosby's even close to looking for somewhere else to work:

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/07/26/crosby-expects-to-return-to-packers/

vince
07-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Doesn't sound as if Crosby's even close to looking for somewhere else to work:

http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/07/26/crosby-expects-to-return-to-packers/
That does sound encouraging. Good to hear.

Fritz
07-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Funny how a kicker has become THE most important free agent signing for the Pack.

Get 'er done, Ted!

And I think he will, unless some crazy-ass owner (Davis, Snyder) gets an idea in his head.