PDA

View Full Version : Barnett Gone

pbmax
07-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Met with Ted. Pretty even keeled Tweet.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126181178.html

TennesseePackerBacker
07-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Cowherd just said Nick Barnett tweeted a farewell message. Maybe someone more Twitter savy can post what he said exactly (I don't use the damn thing) but it went along the lines of, "Just met with Ted, thanks for 8 great years with the Packers".

So is he getting traded or cut?

My money is on cut.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Good thing he got into the team picture while he could.

red
07-26-2011, 11:20 AM
well, that band aid was pulled off quickly

here's to hoping we can get a 4th round pick or so for him. but of course nick couldn't keep his mouth shut so everyone will now know he'll be cut if he isn't tradded

MJZiggy
07-26-2011, 11:22 AM
A few of them actually. I know he wanted to stay. I know you all didn't necessarily like him, but I wish him well. He had interesting times while in GB.

Harlan Huckleby
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm a little sorry to see him go, he's a good player who will make another team better.

If they had to do this to keep Chillar, guess it had to be done.

pittstang5
07-26-2011, 11:31 AM

here's to hoping we can get a 4th round pick or so for him. but of course nick couldn't keep his mouth shut so everyone will now know he'll be cut if he isn't tradded

I doubt there's anyone interested in trading for him anyway. Who needs an MLB or WLB?

My guess, he'll be released. It Sucks, I wish they could get something for him.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 11:35 AM
I wonder if Ted asked him to restructure?

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm a little sorry to see him go, he's a good player who will make another team better.

If they had to do this to keep Chillar, guess it had to be done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chillar had to restructure to keep his job here.

Freak Out
07-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Twilight Samurai.

sheepshead
07-26-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't know. I guess I understand the numbers. I have even met him and all he could talk about were his stats and how he was getting screwed. I thought we lost a bit of leadership when he went down however. (I know i'm in the minority here). I do get we're launching him. Under the right circumstances, he could put up a few more good years.

Scott Campbell
07-26-2011, 11:42 AM
Packers trying to trade Barnett; will cut him if they can't

By Tom Silverstein (tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com) of the Journal Sentinel
July 26, 2011 11:03 a.m. |(17) Comments (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126181178.html#comments)
Linebacker Nick Barnett walked into the Packers facility this morning and within an hour was on his way out.
Now we know why.
Barnett Tweeted: "Just met with Ted, Thanks for the great 8 years. Very blessed 2 be apart of such a great tradition and great fans.."
Barnett followed that up with: "Happy I was able to be here for the great xlv run... I will always keep a Special place in my heart for this team and city.."
Barnett said in a short statement afterward that the club was trying to trade him, but if it couldn't they would release him.
He said his chances of being with the Packers are "slim to none."
By releasing Barnett, the Packers will gain that $5.9 million minus $850,000 of pro-rated signing bonus from 2012 against their salary cap. The Packers are right about at the $120 million salary cap limit and in order to sign their rookies, they needed to clear some room.
The writing was on the wall for Barnett when GM Ted Thompson signed inside linebackers Desmond Bishop and A.J. Hawk to long-term contracts. Thompson could have gone through training camp with Barnett on the roster and then made a decision before the season started, but he apparently needed the salary cap room.
Teams cannot start cutting players until July 28 at 3:01 p.m.

Lurker64
07-26-2011, 11:57 AM
The tweet in question was:

Just met with Ted, Thanks for the great 8 years. Very blessed 2 be apart of such a great tradition and great fans.. Happy I was

Happy I was able to be here for the great xlv run... I will always keep a Special place in my heart for this team and city..

It was later clarified by other people that the Packers will try to trade him, and if they can't he will be released.

MJZiggy
07-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Nah it was Barnett who clarified that in a statement. Of course, now no one will trade for him. They'll just wait for the release...

SavedByGrace
07-26-2011, 12:35 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/packers-say-so-long-to-nick-barnett/

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Assuming we don't re-sign Jenkins, every player on defense are players that TT brought in. Only Clifton, Wells, and Driver left on offense (assuming Tauscher is gone).

vince
07-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Wasn't it Silverstein who said that he thought the Packers would keep Barnett because the Packers "don't cut good players?" Now he says the writing was on the wall.

There's been some question about Chillar's shoulder and whether it'll be ready. Not hearing anything a bit concerning because you'd think he would want to end speculation if it wasn't true. Obviously, we'll know soon enough.

Edit: Here's what Silverstein said five days ago. (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/125965218.html)

Another option that many fans have discussed is the release of LB Nick Barnett, which would clear $5.9 million from the cap. But I don't see that happening now. That option is available at the end of camp if Barnett has a huge dropoff, but giving away good players is not a smart idea.

Cheesehead Craig
07-26-2011, 01:23 PM

Hope we can get a 4th for him as well. Although I don't think it was much of a surprise around that he was going to be traded and I'm sure that other GMs realized he was a likely cut as well. I don't think Nick hurt us too much with his mouth.

Fritz
07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Well, Vince, unlike the pro athletes themselves, media talking heads are generally not held accountable. I find most sports writers, and even moreso, most sports talk jocks, incredible hypocrites. They love to talk tough about players, bashing them for a variety of reasons (just listen to most any ESPN sports show - Mike and Mike, The Herd, any of that crap), but when a player comes on for an "interview" the mostly-fat slobs turn into blubbering, blow-jobbing wusses.

It's a shame. But I thank you for pointing out the discrepancy. At least we can keep track of the many backtracks and contradictions these guys make every day.

vince
07-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Well, Vince, unlike the pro athletes themselves, media talking heads are generally not held accountable. I find most sports writers, and even moreso, most sports talk jocks, incredible hypocrites. They love to talk tough about players, bashing them for a variety of reasons (just listen to most any ESPN sports show - Mike and Mike, The Herd, any of that crap), but when a player comes on for an "interview" the mostly-fat slobs turn into blubbering, blow-jobbing wusses.

It's a shame. But I thank you for pointing out the discrepancy. At least we can keep track of the many backtracks and contradictions these guys make every day.
True. Everyone's wrong. That's no biggie. It's the hypocrisy that makes them a mockery.

Fritz
07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I agree.

As for any thought of trading Barnett, just listen to how many linebackers have already been told they're going to be cut. A veteran linebacker - a dime a dozen. So I can't see anyone wanting to give up a pick for Barnett. It's just not going to happen, unless some owner or GM is incredibly idiotic. And Matt Millen's not in the league any more, so forget it.

MJZiggy
07-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I agree.

As for any thought of trading Barnett, just listen to how many linebackers have already been told they're going to be cut. A veteran linebacker - a dime a dozen. So I can't see anyone wanting to give up a pick for Barnett. It's just not going to happen, unless some owner or GM is incredibly idiotic. And Matt Millen's not in the league any more, so forget it.

There's always Al Davis.

He's still alive right? Are we sure they didn't just prop the corpse up in a chair?

Fritz
07-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Only if Barnett can run a 4.2 40 and drop the ball regularly. I think he might have the second part down, but not so much the first.

sharpe1027
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
My guess is that he will get less than his current contract on the open market. When they can just resign him for considerably less money, why would any team trade for him? They would lose a draft pick and be stuck with a larger contract than if they just wait. The only advantage I can think of is if the team thought he would not sign with them otherwise (e.g., he didn't want to play for a bad organization like the Bengals or the Raiders). It seems a release is coming soon.