PDA

View Full Version : Official Free Agency Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Bretsky
07-31-2011, 12:33 AM
Did he get a contract with Motown or something?

I believe he was there visiting but I don't have confirmation of any deal yet

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 01:32 AM
I believe he was there visiting but I don't have confirmation of any deal yet

He was in Buffalo today, supposedly Detroit tomorrow. Come what may, I don't think he will be singing with the Lions.

Brando19
07-31-2011, 07:50 AM
He was in Buffalo today, supposedly Detroit tomorrow. Come what may, I don't think he will be singing with the Lions.

And I don't think he'll be bitching over a Super Bowl picture with the Lions.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Jets have signed Plax to a 1-year deal. One more team that has passed on JJ?

pbmax
07-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Plax to Jets. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/plaxico-burress-will-join-the-jets/

Means Braylon is still in play with Jones ay WR and the Cards, Vikes and possibly the 49ers (I read they were possibly interested in Edwards or Burress) looking for WRs.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Vince Young declares the Eagles a "Dream Team". http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/2011/07/30/young-eagles-are-a-dream-team/

This is good. Let the Eagles be the media and fan favorite.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:50 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/lofa-tatupu-asks-for-his-release-and-hell-get-it/

Lofa Tatupu asks for release from Seahawks, is reported likely to get his wish.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 10:10 AM
Jets have signed Plax to a 1-year deal. One more team that has passed on JJ?

Rex at Plax playing footsie. Should be fun.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 10:32 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/lofa-tatupu-asks-for-his-release-and-hell-get-it/

Lofa Tatupu asks for release from Seahawks, is reported likely to get his wish.

Great, another player for the Eagles to sign.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 10:44 AM
Rex at Plax playing footsie. Should be fun.

I wonder what his impact will be. He wasn't lighting the league on fire prior to shooting himself. And now 2 years out. If his head is on straight (he was never a TO or Moss level distraction) he could be a nice veteran complimentary piece. Of course, there are still questions about the entire Jet offense.

wist43
07-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Vince Young declares the Eagles a "Dream Team". http://phillysportsdaily.com/eagles/2011/07/30/young-eagles-are-a-dream-team/

This is good. Let the Eagles be the media and fan favorite.

I thought that was the Miami Heat???

No "I" in T*E*A*M :)

Fritz
07-31-2011, 10:54 AM
If the Jets have signed Plaxico, then it looks like the Cards are the big team in the hunt, with maybe the Niners, though I've read no reports on them showing interest.

Did we really over value James Jones that much, when Braylon Edwards and Plaxico Burress are more highly valued? Really? Those two? Edwards was flat-out overvalued, even in college, in my estimation (and I'm a U of M grad), and Burress had fallen off even before his time off.

Partial
07-31-2011, 11:03 AM
This off-season has been amazing with all the moves. I would love to see Lofa Tatupu in the Green and Gold.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 11:44 AM
This off-season has been amazing with all the moves. I would love to see Lofa Tatupu in the Green and Gold.

He'll cost too much to be a backup. The reason the Seahawks are cutting him is that the Seahawks asked him to rework his deal and Tatupu said "no." That doesn't seem like the sort of guy who will play for cheap and come off the bench.

Plus, this is Thompson we're talking about.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 12:00 PM
He'll cost too much to be a backup. The reason the Seahawks are cutting him is that the Seahawks asked him to rework his deal and Tatupu said "no." That doesn't seem like the sort of guy who will play for cheap and come off the bench.

Plus, this is Thompson we're talking about.

Did Thompson draft him or was it his replacement?

Chris Jenkins (AP-Milwaukee) speculates that Cobb's presence as a 2nd round pick argues against Jones returning for anything other than a very short or very cheap contract.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Did Thompson draft him or was it his replacement?

Chris Jenkins (AP-Milwaukee) speculates that Cobb's presence as a 2nd round pick argues against Jones returning for anything other than a very short or very cheap contract.

Replacement. Tatupu was taken in the same draft in which the Packers chose Rodgers.

I think that "very short" contract is what we would resign Jones for, if we resign him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 12:24 PM
I wanted Jones, Kuhn, Hawk, and Crosby re-signed this offseason. If we re-sign Jones and Kuhn I'm good with this offseason. I hope teams keep ignoring Jones.....Pull the trigger on this one TT.

Patler
07-31-2011, 12:29 PM
What happened with Tatupu? Just a few years back he was being proclaimed as one of the great young linebackers.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 12:32 PM
What happened with Tatupu? Just a few years back he was being proclaimed as one of the great young linebackers.

Pete Carroll happened to him, most likely. I don't think Carroll is all that happy with the LB situation he landed with (despite the fact that Tatupu and Curry have a ton of talent).

Also his knees are a mess.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 12:36 PM

Besides his coach, he also had two season below the lofty standard he set. I think there was an injury and then he suffered when the D line went to pieces another year. there was also a lot of turnover on their D coaching staff.

The article points to two distinct phases, the first 3 great years and then 3 years of mediocrity. And he wasn't cheap for that level of performance.

Brando19
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Nick Barnett cancelled his trip to Detroit and it looks like he's sticking around in Buffalo. I guess he found a new home.

Brando19
07-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Nate Clements is a Bengal. He expressed concerns to Coach Brown that he doesn't want to be a part of a team that's rebuilding. Then why the hell has he signed with the Bengals? I guess they're just not building at all!

Fosco33
07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
I didn't know the Texans released VLeach. He's now a Raven...

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Leach was a free agent, he chased the money (I can't blame a FB for that).

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Exactly, how many times have you seen a bidding war for a FB?

This is a Mike Sherman win, is it not?

Patler
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
Nate Clements is a Bengal. He expressed concerns to Coach Brown that he doesn't want to be a part of a team that's rebuilding. Then why the hell has he signed with the Bengals? I guess they're just not building at all!

Maybe God told him to sign there. (In other words, the Bengals had the highest offer)

pbmax
07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Barnett in Buffalo. Where the DC is Dave Wannestache, he of the Miami Dolphins/Dallas Cowboys/Jim Bates 4-3. Where all the action is funneled to the MLB with the DTs keeping him clean of pesky guards and centers.

If he gets to start in the middle, should be a good match. He did his best work in this defense.

imscott72
07-31-2011, 03:53 PM
I see Olin Kreutz is pretty pissed at the Bears. Great player. if I was TT I'd throw a low ball offer his way and see if he bites to get back at the Bears. Imagine him on our line?

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 04:27 PM

Yay! Now I get to see him play again.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 04:43 PM
I see Olin Kreutz is pretty pissed at the Bears. Great player. if I was TT I'd throw a low ball offer his way and see if he bites to get back at the Bears. Imagine him on our line?

Olin Kreutz is no longer the Olin Kreutz of old, now he's just old.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
I think Kuhn is the last major FA signing. It's probably just UDFAs and possible extensions after this.

imscott72
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Olin Kreutz is no longer the Olin Kreutz of old, now he's just old.

I thought he was a beast on their line last year, of course that's not saying much considering who he had around him..

swede
07-31-2011, 05:39 PM
I think Kuhn is the last major FA signing...

Life in the world of TT.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Life in the world of TT.

Swede!

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
Interesting observation on Packers roster:

http://packerupdate.net/?m=20110730

What do Diyral Briggs, Howard Green, Ryan Pickett, Charlie Peprah, Erik Walden and Charles Woodson all have in common? They are the only players currently under contract who have taken a regular season snap for a team other than the Packers. In this day and age, that’s incredible. It’s also a tribute to the front office. General manager Ted Thompson came to Green Bay determined to build a champion primarily through the draft, and despite having to deal with heavy criticism from the media and incessant complaining from fans, he eventually did just that. And as the Packers get ready to defend the Vince Lombardi Trophy with one of the league’s youngest rosters, you can be sure other teams – especially the ones with new general managers – will look to follow a very similar blueprint.

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 09:19 PM

What do Diyral Briggs, Howard Green, Ryan Pickett, Charlie Peprah, Erik Walden and Charles Woodson all have in common? They are the only players currently under contract who have taken a regular season snap for a team other than the Packers. In this day and age, that’s incredible. It’s also a tribute to the front office. General manager Ted Thompson came to Green Bay determined to build a champion primarily through the draft, and despite having to deal with heavy criticism from the media and incessant complaining from fans, he eventually did just that. And as the Packers get ready to defend the Vince Lombardi Trophy with one of the league’s youngest rosters, you can be sure other teams – especially the ones with new general managers – will look to follow a very similar blueprint.

Spectacular.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 10:13 PM
Spectacular.

Strictly speaking that number was quickly out of date once we resigned Spencer Havner. It's now at least seven.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
It will be down to at least 6 before the season starts.

Patler
07-31-2011, 10:31 PM

Didn't we see the same type of analysis mid-season last year, with the conclusion being that it showed TT to be stubborn and wrong in not pursuing players with experience on other teams? I think it was on JSO.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Didn't we see the same type of analysis mid-season last year, with the conclusion being that it showed TT to be stubborn and wrong in not pursuing players with experience on other teams? I think it was on JSO.

I think, though, that given the Packers cap situation at the beginning of the year (not terrible, but required management) nobody really expected the Packers to sign a ton of free agents. In a future year when we have more money and didn't just win the superbowl (since, of course, the Eagles are going to win the next five) the media may be more critical.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 10:55 PM

I remember the article, but don't remember it as critical. It was focused more on the draft I think.

This: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102503459.html

or this: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102503189.html

Patler
07-31-2011, 11:30 PM
The one I am thinking of was later in the year, when things weren't going real well. Mid-season or so. The gist was that there are many ways to build a team and if you want to be successful you have to be open-minded and not rigid. As I recall it even mentioned that instead of this guy or that with experience, he re-signed his own guys like Montgomery and Wynn or PS guys with no experience like Nance.(Must have been before he signed Green.)

Brando19
08-01-2011, 04:58 AM

Don't forget ryan grant with the giants.

Joemailman
08-01-2011, 06:07 AM
Ryan Grant never played in a regular season game for the Giants.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 09:03 AM
The one I am thinking of was later in the year, when things weren't going real well. Mid-season or so. The gist was that there are many ways to build a team and if you want to be successful you have to be open-minded and not rigid. As I recall it even mentioned that instead of this guy or that with experience, he re-signed his own guys like Montgomery and Wynn or PS guys with no experience like Nance.(Must have been before he signed Green.)

Now you have me curious.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102231714.html

Fosco33
08-01-2011, 09:15 AM

That makes A LOT more sense. I was going through Barnett's twitter and he sent a message to Leach saying something like, 'we're in the same boat.'

Except - Nick got the boot and Vonta volunteered to jump.

hoosier
08-01-2011, 10:19 AM

Gotta add Spencer Havner to that list now. It's looking less and less incredible every day. :-)

Patler
08-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Now you have me curious.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/102231714.html

It could have been a GBPG article, too. That and JSO are the two I read almost every day. If I felt more ambitious, I would look for it myself; but I just can't get that excited about it! :lol:

Patler
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM

I wonder how "incredible" it really is? It would be interesting if he provided data to support the assertion. Are there other teams that have only a couple more, or do all other teams have at least twice as many?

pbmax
08-01-2011, 10:45 AM
I wonder how "incredible" it really is? It would be interesting if he provided data to support the assertion. Are there other teams that have only a couple more, or do all other teams have at least twice as many?

From this article from last fall: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102503189.html

In all, there are 36 players drafted by Green Bay on its 53. According to research by the Charlotte Observer, that's the most for any NFL team and well above the league average of 27.7.

Carolina and Pittsburgh are next with 35, Indianapolis and Tennessee have 34 and New England is one of three teams with 32. Cleveland and Washington are last with 17.

Patler
08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
So seven teams were within 4 players of the Packers league leading total of drafted players. That's part of the puzzle.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Just looking at the division.

Chicago (19) - Jay Cutler, Matt Gutierrez, Marion Barber, Chester Taylor, Sam Hurd, Roy Williams, Matt Spaeth, Roberto Garza, Frank Omiyale, Chris Spencer, Anthony Adams, Vernon Gholston, Amobi Okoye, Julius Peppers, Nick Reed, Tank Tyler, Brian Iwuh, Tim Jennings, Chris Harris

Detroit (29) - Shaun Hill, Maurice Morris, Nate Burleson, Rashied Davis, Stefan Logan, Will Heller, Tony Scheffler, Dylan Gandy, Stephen Peterman, Rob Sims, Donald Thomas, Tony Ugoh, Lawrence Jackson, Quinn Pitcock, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Corey Williams, Justin Durant, Isaiah Ekejiuba, Stephen Tulloch, Erik Coleman, Chris Houston, Brandon McDonald, Maurice Leggett, Alphonso Smith, Nathan Vasher, John Wendling, Jack Williams, Eric Wright, Nick Harris

Minnesota (14) - Donovan McNabb, Lorenzo Booker, Devin Aromashadu, Bernard Berrian, Greg Camarillo, Michael Jenkins, Visanthe Shiancoe, Steve Hutchinson, Jared Allen, Remi Ayodele, Fred Evans, Antoine Winfield, Eric Frampton, Ryan Longwell

Kind of surprised Minnesota has so few, but they did lose several FAs (M. Williams, Leber, P. Williams) this offseason and don't have the salary cap room to sign many guys.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 11:05 AM
From this article from last fall: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/102503189.html

Drafted doesn't include undrafted FAs or street FAs that never played for other teams (practice squad or training camp fodder).

pbmax
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Drafted doesn't include undrafted FAs or street FAs that never played for other teams (practice squad or training camp fodder).

I am willing to accept data from any contributor. :)

pbmax
08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Vinkings upgrade Left Tackle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/vikings-swipe-peytons-blind-side-protector/

Charlie Johnson will block for Donovan McNabb.

Lurker64
08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Vinkings upgrade Left Tackle:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/vikings-swipe-peytons-blind-side-protector/

Charlie Johnson will block for Donovan McNabb.

So does McKinnie move to the right side and Loadholt to the bench, or what? I'm curious. If only Rastak still loved us.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 05:40 PM
So does McKinnie move to the right side and Loadholt to the bench, or what? I'm curious. If only Rastak still loved us.

I'll put up the Rastak Signal...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0XOYcIWy9MI/SNS2zryJRuI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/a3Xa4L5VA5o/s400/Viking+ship+02+small.jpg

Fritz
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
I thought Loadholt was the next big thing?

Patler
08-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Johnson may play guard.

Freak Out
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Harvey....have you and Superfan scoured the cities looking for a wandering and forlorn Rastak? We need to find him.

Lurker64
08-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Bryant McKinnie was put on the "Non-Football Injury List" today (whatever that means) so the Vikings may have signed Johnson because they are concerned about the availability of their left tackle. It's a theory at least.

Edit: Rotoworld claims that McKinnie showed up "well over" his playing weight of 335 further noting:

McKinnie has a history of weight problems, ballooning to 360 by last season's end. It's also no secret that McKinnie likes to party. The team has placed him on active/NFI to open training camp and can withhold pay if McKinnie doesn't get his act together. It's a major concern for a very poor Vikings line.

So that almost certainly explains the Vikings signing Johnson.

Lurker64
08-02-2011, 02:47 PM
And the Vikings cut McKinnie...

It's been all downhill for that guy since he got kicked off the pro bowl team for partying too much and not showing up to practice.

KYPack
08-02-2011, 03:23 PM
And the Vikings cut McKinnie...

It's been all downhill for that guy since he got kicked off the pro bowl team for partying too much and not showing up to practice.

You got it, Lurk.

One short trip from the pro bowl to the toilet bowl, for sure.

imscott72
08-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Eagles load up not done yet..Ronnie Brown signed..

Lurker64
08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Eagles load up not done yet..Ronnie Brown signed..

That's just insurance in case McCoy gets hurt, they don't have another RB they'd actually want to run the ball with.

vince
08-02-2011, 04:31 PM
The Saints just got tougher to run the ball on, signing Aubreyu (sp) Franklin to a 1-yr. deal.

hoosier
08-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Eagles sign Ronnie Brown to a one year deal. Man, it sounds like George Steinbrenner has come back from the dead and moved to Philly.

Bretsky
08-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Saints sign Olin Kreutz

If you really look at all the Saints have done during the offseason they are every bit as scary as Phily as a contender

MJZiggy
08-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Are they truly scary or do they just have a lot of names you're familiar with?

Patler
08-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Are they truly scary or do they just have a lot of names you're familiar with?

During NFL free agency, aren't those the same? :lol: :lol:

pbmax
08-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Saints sign Olin Kreutz

If you really look at all the Saints have done during the offseason they are every bit as scary as Phily as a contender

They were on the verge of 22 to 24 FA/defections plus cap cuts, so most of those signings also represents a player that was good enough to win a Super Bowl not being there anymore. People talk about the Packers being different, the Saints will turn over 1/3 to 1/2 of the roster.

Bretsky
08-07-2011, 08:12 AM
yup....they try to skin the cat completely different from GB; it worked a couple yrs ago

smuggler
08-08-2011, 04:36 AM
While we may have tougher competition from Philly and Detroit, we'll have an easier task against Chicago and Dallas. The league is always in flux.

Bretsky
08-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Patriots sign Shawn Ellis, who use to be a solid DE

Lurker64
08-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Patriots sign Shawn Ellis, who use to be a solid DE

He can still go in spurts, he played pretty well in the Jets-Pats playoff game last year. I think that's why the Hoodie signed him.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Looks like hoodie is buying himself a pass rush this year. His secondary is still weak, but a strong pass rush sure helps them.

Bretsky
08-09-2011, 10:20 PM
Who is the other dude Hoody signed ?
He signed another DE a few days ago I think as well

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Haynesworth still hasn't practiced with the team.

Bretsky
08-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Maybe I'm dreaming but I thought the Pats signed another vet DE similar to Ellis...besides Albert

Joemailman
08-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Eagles have signed Steve Smith (NYG) to 1 year contract.

Bretsky
08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
That sux; it appears we have a 3 horse race in the NFC

Lurker64
08-10-2011, 08:50 PM
That sux; it appears we have a 3 horse race in the NFC

Smith is coming off of Microfracture surgery on his knees, there's no way he's 100% this season.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Smith is coming off of Microfracture surgery on his knees, there's no way he's 100% this season.

This was addition by subtraction in reverse. The Eagles improved their chances by subtracting Smith from the Giant roster and adding him to theirs.

Bretsky
08-16-2011, 11:26 PM
Bigby Toast just signed with the Seattle Seahawks. There didn't appear to be much interest in our former safety......

Freak Out
08-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Roy Williams was a great signing by Da Bears...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/roy-williams-says-hes-not-in-shape/

Joemailman
08-18-2011, 07:46 PM
Roy Williams was a great signing by Da Bears...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/18/roy-williams-says-hes-not-in-shape/

Roy is just going retro, back to the days when you came to training camp to get in shape.

http://www.nfl.com/trainingcamp/story/09000d5d8218e03b/article/winded-city-bears-wr-roy-williams-focused-on-conditioning?module=HP11_headline_stack

"(I'm) getting my wind right," Williams told Comcast SportsNet Chicago on Wednesday. "You have to be able to run in this offense. Run all day long.”

Joemailman
08-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Terrelle Pryor going to Oakland. Where else? Oakland uses up its 2012 3rd round pick. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/No-surprise-here-Terrelle-Pryor-lands-in-Oakland.html

SkinBasket
10-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Eagles won't even win their division this season.

I know it's still early, but...