PDA

View Full Version : the wild-cobb

red
07-26-2011, 06:47 PM
in the past if you inserted your emergency #3 QB into the game after a certain point then you could no longer bring back in the other 2 QB's

that rule is gone allowing teams to throw in their #3 to enter the game at any point, only to have the #1 come back in

this is interesting because it allows teams to insert their athletic #3 guys to come into the game for a play or 2 and run the wild cat for a change of pace

this is what made cobb a minor god in college, he was so effective running the wildcat that they renamed the thing the wild-cobb

this could, if we decide to use it, completely throw things off balance for opposing teams. and could be a whole new dimension for our offense

just a thought

3irty1
07-26-2011, 06:50 PM
Pretty gimmicky. I doubt MM takes the ball out of the hands of our best player unless its in a total blowout... so we'll probably see it every game.

Freak Out
07-26-2011, 06:54 PM
We have to come up with a better name than that.

vince
07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
I like it as another dimension. The Packers go from 5-wide to the inverted bone and now the wild-cobb. It's gotta be tough to justify taking Rodgers off the field or not have him under center for even one snap knowing his big-play capability, but I could see McCarthy at least experimenting with it.

red
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
Pretty gimmicky. I doubt MM takes the ball out of the hands of our best player unless its in a total blowout... so we'll probably see it every game.

i'm not talking about running it a lot, maybe once or twice a game if that, just to keep the other team guessing and spending some time preparing for it

maybe we can catch a team unprepared and get an easy TD?

RashanGary
07-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I doubt we'll run it, at all really. MM has said before regarding the wildcat, his QB is too good to ever put some RB/WR in his place.

Cobb is a natural WR. I know everyone is excited about his returns, but I think his best position is WR.

Fritz
07-26-2011, 08:03 PM
We have to come up with a better name than that.

Wild Cobb? Sounds like a name I'd be interested in if I were a dildo manufacturer.

TennesseePackerBacker
07-26-2011, 08:09 PM
I'd much rather see Cobb at the WR spot than anywhere else on the field. I'm more excited about him than any of our other draft picks.

pbmax
07-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Single Wing and Cobb
Cobb Hole
Cobb Identity
Flex Cobb
Randall Tex Cobb
Steak and Cobb
Boiled Cobb
Grilled Cobb
Cobb and Rice
Buttery Cobb

bobblehead
07-26-2011, 08:17 PM
This cobb sounds kinda corny....booooo!

Seriously though I have a wet dream. We line up 5 wide. Defense has dime inserted to counter. We pull Finley and Williams in a double TE tight formation to the right and drop cobb into the backfield. Hand it off and run it right through the dime.

pbmax
07-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Cobb Salad

Fritz
07-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Randall "Corn on the" Cobb.

Lurker64
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I doubt we'll run it, at all really. MM has said before regarding the wildcat, his QB is too good to ever put some RB/WR in his place.

Cobb is a natural WR. I know everyone is excited about his returns, but I think his best position is WR.

McCarthy has run the wildcat before, one play in each of two seasons IIRC (both times, Favre split out wide and Driver took the snap.) It's just part of his standard "deceptions package". It's sort of like a flea flicker, or a fake punt. It's not something you run all the time, but it has its place.

Joemailman
07-26-2011, 09:13 PM

I think he's a natural slot receiver. The thing is to get the ball into his hands a quickly as possible, as he's a great open field runner.

Freak Out
07-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Cobb Salad

Ha....I like it. Still sounds like a prison film though. :)

Fritz
07-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Problem with that nickname is that if he gets tackled hard, some announcer will say ""Boy oh boy, 'Cobb Salad' just got tossed!"

King Friday
07-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Wild-Cobb would ultimately be most effective from a no-huddle offense...Cobb is in as a receiver, and suddenly he's running the Wildcat before the defense knows what is happening. I hope McCarthy starts to use no-huddle more often (not regularly, but maybe during a couple series each game) as Rodgers becomes more confortable in the offense, because it will help keep the pass rush tired and give Rodgers more chances to take advantage of mismatches.

Lurker64
07-27-2011, 11:07 PM
I would run it straight up once, where Rodgers splits out and Cobb takes the snap... just so you have that on film and you can pull out the "Rodgers splits out, Cobb takes the snap and pitches it to Rodgers" play if you want.

sharpe1027
07-28-2011, 09:33 AM
in the past if you inserted your emergency #3 QB into the game after a certain point then you could no longer bring back in the other 2 QB's

that rule is gone allowing teams to throw in their #3 to enter the game at any point, only to have the #1 come back in

this is interesting because it allows teams to insert their athletic #3 guys to come into the game for a play or 2 and run the wild cat for a change of pace

this is what made cobb a minor god in college, he was so effective running the wildcat that they renamed the thing the wild-cobb

this could, if we decide to use it, completely throw things off balance for opposing teams. and could be a whole new dimension for our offense

just a thought

Haha, that would be interesting to see, but I can't imagine them doing it more than a couple times.

I do not think that the change to the emergency QB rule would make any difference. I thought the old rule allowed an extra roster spot for a QB only and the QB could not get on the field in any capacity unless it was an emergency. I would hope that Cobb would be on the active roster since they would want to use him on ST and as the 4th WR. I am not sure if that is completely correct, but that is how I remember it being explained to me.

MJZiggy
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM

He does have a compelling argument here.