PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Colledge Done as a Packer

vince
07-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Tom Silverstein reported on Twitter that Daryn Colledge's agent has indicated that his days as a Packer are officially over. So far, Arizona is the leading contender for his services.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Disappointing but not a surprise if true
I've been calling this guy the Mike Wahle of the Packers OL since the season ended
Listened to several of his interviews

Dude wants to be loved; he got his title. IMO only one thing is on his mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

RashanGary
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Makes LG interesting.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Assuming Clifton is a starter you could actually ponder plugging Buluga there if our 1st round pick is ready to play.....or....Lang ?

Lurker64
07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Assuming Clifton is a starter you could actually ponder plugging Buluga there if our 1st round pick is ready to play.....or....Lang ?

I'd say LG is between Lang and McDonald if we don't want to start Sherrod anywhere.

retailguy
07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Tom Silverstein reported on Twitter that Daryn Colledge's agent has indicated that his days as a Packer are officially over. So far, Arizona is the leading contender for his services.

I am officially doing the happy dance......

vince
07-27-2011, 07:57 PM
I'd say LG is between Lang and McDonald if we don't want to start Sherrod anywhere.
I agree. I think Sherrod is your LT of the future and Bulaga looks good at RT. Get a brawler inside to handle the push.

If Clifton were to break down, I'd rather see Sherrod and Bulaga protecting the edges than Sherrod and Lang.

pbmax
07-27-2011, 07:59 PM

I am going to remember this post if things get should get worse this year. :)

retailguy
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
I am going to remember this post if things get should get worse this year. :)

I have faith in both lang & mcdonald. Hell, I'll vote for the diet pepsi machine and expect better than Colledge.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I have faith in both lang & mcdonald. Hell, I'll vote for the diet pepsi machine and expect better than Colledge.

Colledge was solid last year. Overall very inconsistent but he had a good year last year............if anybody can get near his performance of 2011 I'll be happy

I don't have enough evidence to feel anything about McDonald or feel confident about Lang...although I'm hopeful on the latter

Joemailman
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM

On the treadmill?

esoxx
07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Colledge was solid last year. Overall very inconsistent but he had a good year last year............if anybody can get near his performance of 2011 I'll be happy

I don't have enough evidence to feel anything about McDonald or feel confident about Lang...although I'm hopeful on the latter

If someone wants to overpay Colledge, go ahead. Inconsistent in a contract year means we can do better.

red
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
good news

weak link in the line is gone

Joemailman
07-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I still want Bulaga at LG. I think he can be a dominant player there. Let Lang, Newhouse and Sherrod battle it out at RT.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2011, 08:27 PM
You can't pay everyone market value. Only very important players will get second contracts. Jackson, Colledge, JJ, etc. are players that you would love to keep, but if you always tired to keep them all eventually you will start losing more significant players, ala Sitton.

Of our remaining free agents, I expect only Kuhn, Hall, and maybe Splitz to be re-signed if they don't out price themselves. After that we probably will cut a few more players and start thinking about some more mid season extensions. Sitton and Finley need to be extended soon.

vince
07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
I still want Bulaga at LG. I think he can be a dominant player there. Let Lang, Newhouse and Sherrod battle it out at RT.
I wouldn't hate this, but I think Bulaga is a better edge protector than Lang. The difference there is bigger than the difference between the two playing inside. Overall, the line is better with Lang inside and Bulaga outside than vice-versa.

Brandon494
07-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Lang is a upgrade at LG, mostly at run blocking.

ThunderDan
07-27-2011, 09:18 PM
Disappointing but not a surprise if true
I've been calling this guy the Mike Wahle of the Packers OL since the season endedListened to several of his interviews

Dude wants to be loved; he got his title. IMO only one thing is on his mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

When I first read this I thought you meant with play on the field and I was thinking that is crazy.

Then I read it again and realized you meant he has his SB ring and wants to break the bank.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 09:54 PM
When I first read this I thought you meant with play on the field and I was thinking that is crazy.

Then I read it again and realized you meant he has his SB ring and wants to break the bank.

yup....if you followed the last few months of interviews when Wahle was with Green Bay you knew he was going to the highest bidder with no consideration whatsoever of location.
I have the same impression of DC. He may go to an absolute loser like Wahle did but he's going to get every last penny he can

King Friday
07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
DC is certainly replaceable...so it isn't a big deal if he is not brought back. He's probably going to get paid a lot more than he's worth, so let it be the other guys who pay him.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Colledge, meanwhile, began drawing interest early in the free-agent period and, according to a source, did not allow the Packers to get into the bidding. His agent, Jeff Sperbeck, wouldn't confirm that, but he did say the Packers had every opportunity to sign Colledge before Tuesday.

"I believe the Packers have had the last couple of years to get a deal done and we weren't able to reach an agreement," Sperbeck said. "They could have done it after his third, fourth or fifth years."

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 10:19 PM
Sperbeck wouldn't say what he thought Colledge's deal would be worth when it was completed, but he said some people will be surprised by the numbers.

"I think so," he said. "I'm not because I was anticipating similar numbers. It's basically the deal that we were asking for with the Packers."

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Bulaga sticks at RT.

Every linemen who doesn't already start is a candidate for the LG job, including McDonald and Spitz. Who knows how it will shake out.

RashanGary
07-27-2011, 10:34 PM
I guess my money is on Lang, but who the hell knows? It's gonna be a free for all there.

Bretsky
07-27-2011, 11:29 PM
Probably a good bet; what I read about his agents comments is he wanted a lot of money.....but his agent thought he was being reasonable. Perhaps there are a few sour grapes because GB clearly didn't want to pay that and other teams value him more financially than GB did

Move on

wootah
07-28-2011, 02:55 AM
Vintage Ted.
STEP 1: Keep the superstars in their prime, even if it takes big bucks.
STEP 2: Replace all the rest who wants a big contract with a (cheaper) draft pick.

Patler
07-28-2011, 05:43 AM
Vintage Ted.
STEP 1: Keep the superstars in their prime, even if it takes big bucks.
STEP 2: Replace all the rest who wants a big contract with a (cheaper) draft pick.

Yup, you really have to do that. You can't keep all your good players, which is why I don't think it is at all certain that Sitton will be re-signed. Does a top-notch guard make enough of a difference over a more pedestrian guard to justify the salary difference which could otherwise go to Mathews, Raji, Rodgers, etc? The development of their young O-lineman may determine Sitton's future in GB.

Patler
07-28-2011, 07:13 AM
Probably a good bet; what I read about his agents comments is he wanted a lot of money.....but his agent thought he was being reasonable. Perhaps there are a few sour grapes because GB clearly didn't want to pay that and other teams value him more financially than GB did

Move on

There does seem to be some hurt feelings by Colledge and his agent about the Packers unwillingness to pay what Colledge wanted and may have gotten.

But isn't that part of what free agency is all about? Teams will value the same player differently depending on the make-up of their rosters and the status of their salary cap. Colledge has been the guy the Packers have continually tried to replace, and for the most part has been the weakest link on the O-line. That may not be the case on other teams. With the likes of Woodson, Williams, Collins, Mathews, Raji, Jennings, Rodgers, Finley and the O-linemen better than Colledge, the Packers have many, many more important places to spend their money than on Colledge. Again, that might not be the same for another team. If both of these conditions exist on one team a guy like Colledge can get a very lucrative contract, and it sounds as if he might have.

Fritz
07-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Given the brutal nature of the business, good for him to get his. He is, luckily, replaceable. At least moreso than some of the guys the team might lose in the future should it shortsightedly decide to throw big money at Colledge.

sheepshead
07-28-2011, 07:30 AM
If someone wants to overpay Colledge, go ahead. Inconsistent in a contract year means we can do better.

I agree with this, he was a smidge above serviceable.

Bretsky
07-28-2011, 07:51 AM
There does seem to be some hurt feelings by Colledge and his agent about the Packers unwillingness to pay what Colledge wanted and may have gotten.

But isn't that part of what free agency is all about? Teams will value the same player differently depending on the make-up of their rosters and the status of their salary cap. Colledge has been the guy the Packers have continually tried to replace, and for the most part has been the weakest link on the O-line. That may not be the case on other teams. With the likes of Woodson, Williams, Collins, Mathews, Raji, Jennings, Rodgers, Finley and the O-linemen better than Colledge, the Packers have many, many more important places to spend their money than on Colledge. Again, that might not be the same for another team. If both of these conditions exist on one team a guy like Colledge can get a very lucrative contract, and it sounds as if he might have.

Agree; Colledge is very replaceable. You sing him for too much and Sitton might be tough. Collledge is not special. Sitton is special. We'll break the bank on him

Patler
07-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Sitton is special. We'll break the bank on him

I'm not sure that the Packers will for Sitton. Too many other places to spend their money. I hope they can keep him, but I think they may not be able to.

Brandon494
07-28-2011, 08:14 AM
You worry too much. Sitton doesn't have the type of attitude like Colledge and I fully expect TT to take care of him before he becomes a FA.

Patler
07-28-2011, 08:41 AM
You worry too much. Sitton doesn't have the type of attitude like Colledge and I fully expect TT to take care of him before he becomes a FA.

Attitude isn't the issue. The number of very good players that will need big contracts is the issue. I fully expect the Packers to reach the same point they did in the '90s, when there simply wasn't enough money to go around and some extremely good players had to be let go in free agency. Guys like Adam Timmerman, for example.

By the way, I don't worry one bit about the Packers or anything related to them. It doesn't bother me when good players leave. In fact, it makes it more interesting.

Yoop
07-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Sitton will command big bucks, Colledge will get about 4 Mil. double that for Sitton, it's very unlikely Ted will pay that for a G, so we need Lang, McDonald, and the rest of the backup and newbies to step up.

pbmax
07-28-2011, 09:35 AM

Well, that's a high standard. Diet Pepsi is a perennial All-Pro.

pbmax
07-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Colledge, meanwhile, began drawing interest early in the free-agent period and, according to a source, did not allow the Packers to get into the bidding. His agent, Jeff Sperbeck, wouldn't confirm that, but he did say the Packers had every opportunity to sign Colledge before Tuesday.

"I believe the Packers have had the last couple of years to get a deal done and we weren't able to reach an agreement," Sperbeck said. "They could have done it after his third, fourth or fifth years."

Guess there was fire where there was smoke. But Colledge can't hold the Packers responsible for him missing FA. That was the CBA and his enrollment year in kindergarten. But I am sure it didn't help when they didn't step up to renew him regardless. But the position has never been a premium one for the Packers since Sherman gave good money to Wahle and Rivera.

Partial
07-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Move on

100% agree. I don't think they'll have any problems finding a capable replacement long term. Hopefully someone is up to the task long term.

I've never been a big Colledge fan. It seems like he didn't really want to be here. I'm fine with him leaving.

Zool
07-28-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't have anything to back this up, but Schlauderaff is a guy I really like. Maybe I'm giving him the Bretsky curse but he should be in the mix all through camp to replace DC.

Plus he's got an awesome football name.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2011, 11:36 AM
People keep repeating that Colledge was the weak link on last year's oline, but really it was Bulaga. Bulaga was going through rookie learning, he got beat a lot and the packers had to rotate help. I forget, maybe he was solid by playoff time.

Bulaga was the youngest player on the Packer roster last year, its easy to forget that he came out of college early. I think RT is his natural position and he'll be a good player for years. Well, until TT decides he is expendable.

I find it it hard to believe that the Packers will be unwilling to pay Sitton if he stays healthy and dominates. Obviously there are the Wahle, Timmerman, etc. examples, anything can happen.

vince
07-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Colledge signed with the Cardinals - 5 yrs./$27.5 million

Lurker64
07-28-2011, 11:51 AM

Expect Sitton to sign for at least $7-$8m/year... yeesh Colledge got paid a lot for an average guard.

MJZiggy
07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
He came from the SuperBowl team.

pbmax
07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
People keep repeating that Colledge was the weak link on last year's oline, but really it was Bulaga. Bulaga was going through rookie learning, he got beat a lot and the packers had to rotate help. I forget, maybe he was solid by playoff time.

Bulaga was the youngest player on the Packer roster last year, its easy to forget that he came out of college early. I think RT is his natural position and he'll be a good player for years. Well, until TT decides he is expendable.

I find it it hard to believe that the Packers will be unwilling to pay Sitton if he stays healthy and dominates. Obviously there are the Wahle, Timmerman, etc. examples, anything can happen.

Colledge definitely bounced back from an poor 2009 and was never as bad as advertised at LG. But the holes in the run game (basic power) and pass blocking (trouble with quick movement) meant he only had so much possible upside and was still beaten as much as Bulaga, just not as spectacularly.

pbmax
07-28-2011, 12:34 PM

I think Charley O. Finley had it right. They should make them all Free Agents every year.

vince
07-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Here's what I've been told is the breakdown of the Daryn Colledge deal: five years, $28M, $8M guaranteed, $14M in the first two years.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2011, 01:20 PM
I agree with Harlan. I think the Packers will find a way to keep Sitton. I think the next targets for extensions will be Matthews, Raji, and Sitton. Maybe Finley. And, of course, keeping Rodgers happy with his contract. Thompson won't overpay, but he gives guys fair market value. I also think he's learned over the years to keep good players, so just because he didn't value OGs very much 5-6 years ago doesn't mean he feels the same way today. Remember that he did little to resign Longwell several years ago when he was still a good kicker. Yet, he did the opposite with Crosby (making him a priority and giving him a good contract).

MadScientist
07-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree with Harlan. I think the Packers will find a way to keep Sitton. I think the next targets for extensions will be Matthews, Raji, and Sitton. Maybe Finley. And, of course, keeping Rodgers happy with his contract. Thompson won't overpay, but he gives guys fair market value. I also think he's learned over the years to keep good players, so just because he didn't value OGs very much 5-6 years ago doesn't mean he feels the same way today. Remember that he did little to resign Longwell several years ago when he was still a good kicker. Yet, he did the opposite with Crosby (making him a priority and giving him a good contract).

With Longwell it was a case of not paying someone who didn't want to be in Green Bay. That won't be the case with Sitton. I think TT will try to keep him, but it will depend on $$ and how TT feels about the backups that would replace Sitton.

pbmax
07-28-2011, 02:01 PM

Longwell had several limitations Crosby doesn't, though the FG% was higher. Not sure its the same thing. Also could have been influence of ST coach.

Fritz
07-28-2011, 02:38 PM
I think Patler's point is simply that Thompson has drafted such good players that with a salary cap you're just not going to be able to afford to keep them all. It's the penalty for being good at your job.

MJZiggy
07-28-2011, 02:50 PM
I think Patler's point is simply that Thompson has drafted such good players that with a salary cap you're just not going to be able to afford to keep them all. It's the penalty for being good at your job.
The flip side of that coin is that you also have the option of keeping those who are truly passionate about being here and being on your team and let go the ones who are in it for the $$$ (or in this case $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$)

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
The flip side of that coin is that you also have the option of keeping those who are truly passionate about being here and being on your team and let go the ones who are in it for the $$$ (or in this case $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$)

The good (to great) ones who are passionate about being here. Sitton is a great one. I think he'll sign him to an extension.

Joemailman
07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Drafting well keeps you out of salary cap trouble because you don't have to pay a mediocrity like Daryn Colledge 5 million a year. None of the guys the Packers released or lost (or will lose) in free agency create a gap that the Packers will have to scramble to fill.

Brandon494
07-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Ted knows what he is doing when it comes to handling salary cap as well as drafting. You have to realize by the time guys like Matthews, Sitton, and Finley have to be resign for the big bucks guys like Clifton, Driver, Grant, Chillar, and maybe even Woodson will be off the books. I didn't even mention Raji because he already has a big contract as a top ten pick. There is a reason Ted used his first three picks in this years draft on a LT, WR, and RB. Clifton, Driver, and Grant are as good as gone after this season.