PDA

View Full Version : ILB Brandon Chillar out indefinitely

smuggler
07-29-2011, 06:42 AM
Apparently this dude tore his hamstring, pretty badly by initial accounts. He did this away from team facilities.

Are we suuuuure we want to cut Barnett?

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 06:56 AM
I doubt TT knew of Chillar's condition when he cut Barnett.

wait a sec ... has Barnett been formally released?

imscott72
07-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Have to wonder if they'll try to re-sign Barnett now at a reduced rate. 5M is just too much..

imscott72
07-29-2011, 06:57 AM
wait a sec ... has Barnett been formally released?

Nope

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 07:00 AM
I for one am glad Barnett is in the team photo. We need him.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 07:47 AM
If only Barnett could play the outside, too. =S

Bretsky
07-29-2011, 07:51 AM
I don't think they want Barnett back at that price; I don't think he could excel on the outside and Hawk and Bishop are better inside.

I think they just roll the dice and move forward

Patler
07-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Chillar's injury sounds pretty serious. At least one report stated it could be a season ending injury, which for Chillar could very well mean career ending. The Packers had concerns about whether his shoulder would ever heal enough for him to play, now add a serious hamstring injury. He could be a total mess.

James Campen's seven year NFL career ended due to a severely torn hamstring. For Chillar's sake, I hope there are better treatment options now.

vince
07-29-2011, 08:00 AM
I don't think they want Barnett back at that price; I don't think he could excel on the outside and Hawk and Bishop are better inside.

I agree. Although it is curious that they didn't release Barnett yesterday as far as we know. I assume they're holding out to get a low round pick for him, but you never know.

Brandon Chillar has officially been released, per Silverstein a few minutes ago.

Deputy Nutz
07-29-2011, 08:40 AM
Asshole Chillar, thank god he was cut. I never liked him anyways overrated in pass pro. Then he tears a hammy. How can these professionals keep hurting themselves working out?

Fritz
07-29-2011, 08:50 AM
You would think, with the millions this guy makes, he'd have a professional trainer monitoring his workouts.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 09:13 AM
With Chillar getting cut, it does raise questions about Barnett's supposed release. At the very least, it should cause teams to doubt our desire to cut him enough to *perhaps* offer a 5th or 6th rounder for him.

Bossman641
07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Is anyone else besides me terrified at the thought of Matt Wilhelm and DJ Smith being the top ILB backups? Even if they move Jones inside, he's always injured as well. Really hope the Packers can find a way to keep Barnett.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Look how many linebackers they needed to get through last season. They will probably need Barnett on the inside before the season is done. They have adequate depth outside.

No doubt TT is filling his drawers right now. Overpaying for an extra starter-quality veteran is the opposite of his method. But you got to play the ball where it lies.

There is a chance that Barnett's skills are diminished. The Packers will at least hold-on to Barnett through the preseason and figure out where they stand.

What we are looking at here is a casualty of the lockout. Can't blame Chillar for playing his cards close to his chest under these circumstances.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 09:45 AM
You would think, with the millions this guy makes, he'd have a professional trainer monitoring his workouts.

I would think the attentions of Partial or Ziggy could have prevented this trajedy

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Brandon Chillar has officially been released, per Silverstein a few minutes ago.
Good, at least the team isn't left hanging.

This could all workout for the best. Maybe Barnett will return to old form and be significantly better than Chillar. $5M is not a tragic figure for an excellent linebacker, hell, they pay $3M for the kicker.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I imagine that the Packers will still end up liable for his 2011 salary, but only if he barks a little bit. If I were Chillar, I'd work on getting healthy and then hope for an opportunity during the season. Sucks to be him, but we need the cap space and the roster spot if he's hurt.

imscott72
07-29-2011, 11:14 AM
And now Wilhelm isn't going to be re-signed..Only 3 ILB's now..

Patler
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I imagine that the Packers will still end up liable for his 2011 salary, but only if he barks a little bit. If I were Chillar, I'd work on getting healthy and then hope for an opportunity during the season. Sucks to be him, but we need the cap space and the roster spot if he's hurt.

With a new CBA it is hard to know anything for certain. The torn hamstring is an off-season injury. The Packers wouldn't have been responsible for it under the old rules unless they put him on PUP. Even for his shoulder from last season, the Packers would have had limited ongoing responsibility. That said, I have heard and read that there are changes in the new CBA that provide reduced salary obligations that extend several years for career ending injuries. Time will tell whether any of that applies to Chillar.

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

There are more than three: Hawk, Bishop, D.J. Smith, Cardia Jackson, Elijah Joseph, Robert Francois, and Diyral Briggs.

Patler
07-29-2011, 11:49 AM

There are more than three: Hawk, Bishop, D.J. Smith, Cardia Jackson, Elijah Joseph, Robert Francois, and Diyral Briggs.

Yup, time marches on and waits for no one!

vince
07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Lurker, I read some good things about Joseph. Do you know anything about him?

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Lurker, I read some good things about Joseph. Do you know anything about him?

I can't say I recall watching a Temple game in the last year or so, sorry. From everything I've read, he's was a terrific player in the MAC but he's suffered a couple of season ending injuries in college, but nothing that should cause a long-term issue. I'm not sure if I believe that "injury prone" is actually a thing.

Yup, time marches on and waits for no one!

Football is very much a game of replacement, not a game of maintenance.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 02:09 PM

You do remember Clay Matthews barely played last preseason with hamstring issues? We have no idea if Chillar was supervised or not, but Matthews was and it still happened.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Chillar's injury sounds pretty serious. At least one report stated it could be a season ending injury, which for Chillar could very well mean career ending. The Packers had concerns about whether his shoulder would ever heal enough for him to play, now add a serious hamstring injury. He could be a total mess.

James Campen's seven year NFL career ended due to a severely torn hamstring. For Chillar's sake, I hope there are better treatment options now.

Didn't Wolf's pick of D'Onofrio also end due to a hamstring injury?

hoosier
07-29-2011, 02:43 PM
Brad Jones --> ILB?

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Brad Jones --> ILB?

The backups are going to play first of all: special teams and secondly: wherever the coaches tell them to play.

bobblehead
07-29-2011, 05:26 PM
I was always a big chillar supporter, but his time is over. Showing up hurt like that sealed his fate. Kinda hope they call Nick and tell him he is welcome to return.

MJZiggy
07-29-2011, 06:05 PM
I was always a big chillar supporter, but his time is over. Showing up hurt like that sealed his fate. Kinda hope they call Nick and tell him he is welcome to return.
Nah, they cut Barnett at the same time and he's being woo'ed by Detroit.

Harlan Huckleby
07-29-2011, 06:14 PM
I wish they would have kept Barnett through the preseason. Sometimes TT is a little too rigid. I'd like to see a third inside linebacker emerge as starter quality before cutting options. You know they will need 3 good inside linebackers.

Maybe TT will find another inside linebacker somewhere.

Patler
07-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Didn't Wolf's pick of D'Onofrio also end due to a hamstring injury?

Yes, I believe you are correct. Too bad to, he looked like he was going to be a real good one.