PDA

View Full Version : This team will be very different

Patler
07-29-2011, 08:12 AM
TT mentioned it at the shareholders meeting, and it is really starting to show. The 2011 Packers will be a very different team from the 2010 Packers. The way it is shaping up, they could again be a very young team based on the average age of their roster. A lot of familiar faces, and a few big personalities will be gone, changing the personality of the team quite a lot, I think.

Many wondered where TT would put all the rookies this year. I remember reading one post (here or on another site) that stated half the drafted rookies would have to be put on the practice squad. It is now shaping up that the 53 man roster has openings for most of them, if they perform as expected, and there will also be room for an undrafted rookie or two.

jmbarnes101
07-29-2011, 08:20 AM
In the NFL if you're not changing you're growing stagnant and TT won't allow that to happen; thanks Ted. It also serves notice that a job is never safe. While the rookies will be inexperienced they'll be hungry for their own ring, challenging those who may become complacent, and learning from the experienced players how to prepare and play the game at this level.

sheepshead
07-29-2011, 08:29 AM
The unusual situation of 12 starters going down then winning the Lombardi makes for some very good problems I think. I know it's a little eerie watching some of these guys bolt, but there's no way we can keep everyone that contributed last year. Too much talent is coming off the IR.

sheepshead
07-29-2011, 08:36 AM

Patler
07-29-2011, 08:37 AM
The unusual situation of 12 starters going down then winning the Lombardi makes for some very good problems I think. I know it's a little eerie watching some of these guys bolt, but there's no way we can keep everyone that contributed last year. Too much talent is coming off the IR.

A lot of that talent from IR is being let go, too. Poppinga, Barnett, maybe Tauscher. Now apparently Chillar has been released. The 2011 roster will be very different from the 2010 roster that started the season and from the one that played in the Super Bowl.

sheepshead
07-29-2011, 08:40 AM
http://izismile.com/img/img4/20110727/1000/funny_sports_fails_26.gif

vince
07-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Not sure about "very" different. Sure the team continues to evolve, as it will every year, but the overwhelming majority of the contributors will be the same.

The offense will have a new left guard and probably more h-back looks. Not a big change. I wouldn't consider the return of Grant and Finley change.

The defense will have a Jenkins clone replacing him. Barnett and Chillar didn't even play most of last year, so that isn't different.

One of the things that gives the Packers a possible leg up on the rest of the league is their relative continuity coming off the Super Bowl win. While many other teams have new coaching staffs and offensive/defensive philosophies to install, the Packers will continue on. Most if not all of the new players will see pretty limited time for the most part.

Not quite sure what you're getting at.

SkinBasket
07-29-2011, 09:53 AM
A lot of that talent from IR is being let go, too. Poppinga, Barnett, maybe Tauscher. Now apparently Chillar has been released. The 2011 roster will be very different from the 2010 roster that started the season and from the one that played in the Super Bowl.

If you don't prune the tree it turns into a bush.

Patler
07-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Not sure about "very" different. Sure the team continues to evolve, as it will every year, but the overwhelming majority of the contributors will be the same.

The offense will have a new left guard and probably more h-back looks. Not a big change. I wouldn't consider the return of Grant and Finley change.

The defense will have a Jenkins clone replacing him. Barnett and Chillar didn't even play most of last year, so that isn't different.

Not quite sure what you're getting at.

I'm just saying that the names on the roster will change a lot more than some thought, and the turnover isn't going to occur just at the bottom of the roster. A lot of guys who have been in GB a long time will be gone, guys who had made significant imprints on the team.

The "personality" of a team as a whole, and particularly that of position groups can change when a lot of the faces change. From a lot of stories, Spitz was a character around the locker room, Colledge was vocal among his team mates, and Tauscher was the unquestioned leader of the O-line group, and one of the leaders of the team as a whole. They might all be gone. When the O-linemen get together, Clifton will feel like an old man among kids, and I suspect the dynamics of the group will be very different for the other veterans. Others will have to step forward.

Barnett was Barnett. Even Rodgers mentioned that it will feel very different without Barnett around. A big personality even when he was on IR, as we all saw during the Super Bowl. The veteran players and even the coaches will notice his absence.

Poppinga too was a huge personality around the team. Many mentioned him as one of the most entertaining guys to be around. Reporters loved him for interviews.

Donald Lee was a quiet but consummate professional. It was mentioned several times in the last two years that his contributions went well beyond what he did on the field. He really took the young TEs under his wing and tried to show them how to be professional football players. He willingly helped them learn to replace him. Who will be in that role for the TEs now? Finley???? The dynamics of that position group could change a lot without Lee's influence.

RBs/FBs usually change a lot anyway, but Hall, Kuhn, Jackson and Grant had been together a long time for that group. Jackson is gone along with his well-established position as the third-down back. That will be new for the first time in a few years. Green is brand new, Starks and Grant have no on field experience together. Hall is gone and Kuhn could be too.

The wide receivers were said to be a very close group. Jones likely will be gone, and the others will notice it. Jenkins, Bigby and even Harrell are not just faces who came and went quickly. In the world of pro football, they had been iin GB a long time, especially Jenkins.

A lot was said about how much the Packer roster changed during the 2010 season. It may change as much or more from the end of 2010 to the start of 2011.

Patler
07-29-2011, 09:59 AM

I'm not suggesting that the change is a bad thing. On the contrary, it is a good thing when the change occurs in a consistent, orderly fashion, with some veterans moving out and younger players moving in and up.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Every team is going to have some change, but I think it falls on the star players to keep the chemistry in the locker room. Personally, I think Thompson has done a good job of having one guy in each unit who does a good job of leading his group.

QB - Aaron Rodgers
WR - Greg Jennings, Donald Driver
RB - Ryan Grant
TE - Without Donald Lee, not a ton of leadership there
OL - Chad Clifton, Scott Wells
DL - Ryan Pickett
LB - A.J. Hawk
CB - Charles Woodson (now), Tramon Williams
S - Nick Collins

These guys are consummate professionals. With leadership like this at each position group, it's easier to plug in new guys around them and have the chemistry remain in tact.

SkinBasket
07-29-2011, 10:08 AM
I'm not suggesting that the change is a bad thing. On the contrary, it is a good thing when the change occurs in a consistent, orderly fashion, with some veterans moving out and younger players moving in and up.

I know. I just like talking about any bush that isn't Jarret.

Fritz
07-29-2011, 10:29 AM

And if you don't trim a bush it gets hairy.

Patler
07-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Every team is going to have some change, but I think it falls on the star players to keep the chemistry in the locker room. Personally, I think Thompson has done a good job of having one guy in each unit who does a good job of leading his group.

QB - Aaron Rodgers
WR - Greg Jennings, Donald Driver
RB - Ryan Grant
TE - Without Donald Lee, not a ton of leadership there
OL - Chad Clifton, Scott Wells
DL - Ryan Pickett
LB - A.J. Hawk
CB - Charles Woodson (now), Tramon Williams
S - Nick Collins

These guys are consummate professionals. With leadership like this at each position group, it's easier to plug in new guys around them and have the chemistry remain in tact.

I agree except for O-line. I don't know about Wells, but I have seen it written several times that Clifton is not the leader type. I have seen him described as very quiet and perhaps a bit shy. Just not real out-going, sort of keeps to himself. Apparently Wells did arrange some off-season workouts for the O-line, so maybe he will be the one to step forward in Tauscher's absence (if Tauscher is in fact let go).

vince
07-29-2011, 11:26 AM
McCarthy has said that Scott Wells was one of the guys on offense who stepped up last year and became more vocal as a leader during the season. I think Tauscher, if let go, could remain with the team in some sort of o-line coaching intern capacity. In terms of chemistry, from what I've seen and read, Sitton, Lang and McDonald are pretty tight. Bulaga would seem to fit in with those guys, but I think he spends a lot of time with his woman. Wells is a family man too. Chemistry-wise, I think they're fine without Colledge and Spitz, and I don't think they'll miss a beat on the field either. Wells and Sitton are the leaders on and off the field.

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree except for O-line. I don't know about Wells, but I have seen it written several times that Clifton is not the leader type. I have seen him described as very quiet and perhaps a bit shy. Just not real out-going, sort of keeps to himself. Apparently Wells did arrange some off-season workouts for the O-line, so maybe he will be the one to step forward in Tauscher's absence (if Tauscher is in fact let go).

Well, I don't think you have to be vocal to be a leader. Chad is somebody who has played at a high level for a lot of years--doing things the right way. Guys respect that. They'll follow his lead. Lead by example, I guess. I also think he might be more vocal within the group than outside of it. He also seems like just a good guy. Quite jovial and even-keeled. I think he still takes part the off the field stuff that those OL do. I guess I'd be surprised if the other OL didn't look up to him, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't a great influence on the young guys.

Patler
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, I don't think you have to be vocal to be a leader. Chad is somebody who has played at a high level for a lot of years--doing things the right way. Guys respect that. They'll follow his lead. Lead by example, I guess. I also think he might be more vocal within the group than outside of it. He also seems like just a good guy. Quite jovial and even-keeled. I think he still takes part the off the field stuff that those OL do. I guess I'd be surprised if the other OL didn't look up to him, and I'd be surprised if he wasn't a great influence on the young guys.

I don't doubt for a second that he is well respected and looked up to. But I remember MM or one of the other coaches mentioning one time that Clifton is not one to lead the group, but Tauscher was. Partly because of their different personalities, but they also mentioned that it is hard for Clifton because he is often away from the group doing special rehab type work and doesn't participate in several days of the regular practice stuff with all of the others. All done in an effort to help his ankles, knees, hips, shoulders and every other joint he has been nursing along for years! :lol:

Hard to lead them when you aren't with them.

Patler
07-29-2011, 12:02 PM
McCarthy has said that Scott Wells was one of the guys on offense who stepped up last year and became more vocal as a leader during the season. I think Tauscher, if let go, could remain with the team in some sort of o-line coaching intern capacity. In terms of chemistry, from what I've seen and read, Sitton, Lang and McDonald are pretty tight. Bulaga would seem to fit in with those guys, but I think he spends a lot of time with his woman. Wells is a family man too. Chemistry-wise, I think they're fine without Colledge and Spitz, and I don't think they'll miss a beat on the field either. Wells and Sitton are the leaders on and off the field.

Ya, I remember that about Wells now that you mention it.
From their messages back and forth, Lang and Sitton seem close, loose, and humorous. You become one of the older guys pretty quickly in the NFL!

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 12:19 PM
From their messages back and forth, Lang and Sitton seem close, loose, and humorous. You become one of the older guys pretty quickly in the NFL!

And if the Packers can keep those two on the team together for a long time, it will create extra enjoyment for the fans...

MJZiggy
07-29-2011, 12:23 PM

Did you take my advice?

channtheman
07-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Maybe we can pay some of these IR entertainers a couple grand a week to joke around during games and practices?

Patler
07-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Did you take my advice?

No, I just read the ones that people copied onto here and elsewhere! :oops:

MJZiggy
07-29-2011, 01:31 PM
No, I just read the ones that people copied onto here and elsewhere! :oops:

Awww come on! It'll take twenty seconds. :)

Brandon494
07-30-2011, 05:30 PM
This team will be very different but in a good way. Our running game will be much improved with Grant and Starks splitting carries and promising rookie Alex Green as a change of pace back. You have to figure our passing game will be improved as well with Finley returning and the addition of Randall Cobb who will be replacing James Jones and DJ Williams who won the John Mackey Award for the best TE in college football. The winner of that award before Williams was Aaron Hernandez who was drafted in the 4th round by the Pats and had a very impressive rookie season.

As far as defense I don't see much changing. Mike Neal is not as good of a pass rusher as Jenkins but he will improve our run defense. I would expect Morgan Burnett to win the starting SS job giving us another play maker on defense.

Special teams will be improved with Randall Cobb taking over the return duties which will give Aaron Rodgers even better field position. Also it takes Tramon Williams off punt return duties which is BIG, we can't afford to lose him.

HowardRoark
07-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Awww come on! It'll take twenty seconds. :)

Easy to please?

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2011, 11:30 PM

Bulaga today.

So now, a new starting five takes shape. Bulaga believes there's still plenty of leadership in house to make this all a smooth transition.

"It's a great group of guys," Bulaga said. "We have great leaders still in Clif, Josh and Scotty. It's just a matter of building your own identity. It's different every year for teams. It's just a matter of getting things figured out in camp and getting used to each other."

imscott72
07-31-2011, 07:34 AM
Easy to please?

I was wondering when someone was going to jump on that.. :lol:

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 10:02 AM
This team will be very different but in a good way. Our running game will be much improved with Grant and Starks splitting carries and promising rookie Alex Green as a change of pace back. You have to figure our passing game will be improved as well with Finley returning and the addition of Randall Cobb who will be replacing James Jones and DJ Williams who won the John Mackey Award for the best TE in college football. The winner of that award before Williams was Aaron Hernandez who was drafted in the 4th round by the Pats and had a very impressive rookie season.

As far as defense I don't see much changing. Mike Neal is not as good of a pass rusher as Jenkins but he will improve our run defense. I would expect Morgan Burnett to win the starting SS job giving us another play maker on defense.

Special teams will be improved with Randall Cobb taking over the return duties which will give Aaron Rodgers even better field position. Also it takes Tramon Williams off punt return duties which is BIG, we can't afford to lose him.

It certainly is lined up for all of this to be true. I certainly hope it all works out that way.