PDA

View Full Version : I LOVE Mark Murphy!

SavedByGrace
07-29-2011, 09:18 AM
He got it 100% correct

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/29/murphys-comments-on-retired-players-angered-nflpa/

vince
07-29-2011, 09:31 AM
If the players are able to "retire" after their football career, more power to them. I don't think it's the owners' position in society to hold them back financially because working for 5-10 years or so before retiring offends our sensibilities.

I do think the players have been way too emotionally sensitive about the owners' actions and statements throughout the summer, so I don't agree with their immature response to the situation. They can simply ignore it and/or agree to disagree.

Cheesehead Craig
07-29-2011, 09:33 AM
He does have some good points.

MadScientist
07-29-2011, 09:47 AM
The attitude that the NFL does too much for players is bound to get a negative response, especially in regards to health care, given how many players have long term health issues, which are not always acute within the first five years after retiring from the league. I hope this doesn't fester and cause problems with the Packers players. If Murphy doubles down on that position, there could be trouble.

SkinBasket
07-29-2011, 09:51 AM
The attitude that the NFL does too much for players is bound to get a negative response, especially in regards to health care, given how many players have long term health issues, which are not always acute within the first five years after retiring from the league. I hope this doesn't fester and cause problems with the Packers players. If Murphy doubles down on that position, there could be trouble.

yeah, it's too bad they aren't compensated for the dangers of their chosen profession.

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Well, he does have a point in that it's probably best for NFL players to figure out something to do with themselves after football (not just financially but also for their mental and emotional well-being), and the NFL's policies may well impede the smooth transition from "football" to "everyday life." Obviously, everybody thinks that the NFL ought to take care of their less able alumni, many of which are so limited specifically because of football, but "coddling 40 year old guys who have large bankrolls" probably isn't the best way for the NFL to take care of its retired players.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 10:00 AM
I wondered why he disappeared. Now we know.

He's a dope for expressing this opinion during the negotiations and his point is muddled thinking at best.

The A number 1 point of the retired players (including some of the retired players from Lombardi's team) is that disability and pension are woefully inadequate. That isn't the current players making that argument, that is the very players that Mark Murphy holds up as an example of the good that can come from holding a second job from playing. In fact, due to sacrifices made by the very players who wish to have better health benefits and pensions, Murphy himself was vastly better compensated than they were. Murphy was able to go back to school (not get an offseason job in auto sales) and I would bet take internships to develop a second career. Somehow, not having to take an offseason job for the pay could be argued as HELPING Murphy become the success he is today.

Willie Davis doesn't need the help. Willie Wood does. Both might have had offseason jobs. According to Murphy, Wood should be just fine.

He's a dope.

Patler
07-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Months ago I said that players were being ridiculously over-sensitive to remarks by Richardson and Jones, and I would say the same thing about Murphy's comments. It's very simple. Just because a guy plays in the league for 3-4 years, or even 10 or 12 years, the league isn't responsible for his complete care and feeding the rest of his life. Medical/health is a separate issue for evaluation; but Murphy is correct that by doing too much for them you can stifle their ambitions for a post playing career. The NFL has made strides in encouraging their second careers and has off-season programs for training. Perhaps they should do more of that.

This does explain one thing. I asked a while back why Murphy had seemingly been removed from the bargaining process when it looked initially like he might have a prominent role. This article explains it.

I suspect some of the players expected Murphy to be somewhat of an ally because he was a former player. Instead it appears he turned out to be a pragmatist who told the hard truth about players, something they didn't want to hear. As a result, they resented him and his success after his career ended.

Old School
07-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I wish more people would speak the truth like Murphy. I'm totally disgusted with a world that tiptoes around whiners and the entitled. Failure to face reality and expected PC has gotten this country to the crisis point it's in now.

Most players squandered a FREE college education and therby limited their after football opportunities. They knew full well that most football players play less than 5 years, but many blow their money on bling, tats, cars, and mansions like there was no tomorrow.

After working a dead end job for 12 years after high school, I spent 30 years in manufacturing in a physically demanding job and enviornment. I constantly upgraded my knowledge with job specific training, and I was able to leave the union and finish my career in management. I have had as many orthopedic surgeries as many players: 6 knee w/ 2 replacements, shoulder, 2 back - the 2nd didn't work, 2 hand. I rehabbed them without the cortage of professionals and technology the players get.

I'm not complaining. My job enabled my family to live a comfortable life. I am very physically limited now, but am fiercely independent. I pay my own supplemental insurance and Medicare. It's hard for me to feel sorry for some louts who were pampered for so long they thought it should never end.

My hats off to Mark Murphy for not knuckling under to some loud mouthed union bullies sitting on the other side of the table. What about all the Stupid shit that was said by players with single digit IQ's?

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 11:37 AM
I wish more people would speak the truth like Murphy. I'm totally disgusted with a world that tiptoes around whiners and the entitled. Failure to face reality and expected PC has gotten this country to the crisis point it's in now.

Most players squandered a FREE college education and therby limited their after football opportunities. They knew full well that most football players play less than 5 years, but many blow their money on bling, tats, cars, and mansions like there was no tomorrow.

After working a dead end job for 12 years after high school, I spent 30 years in manufacturing in a physically demanding job and enviornment. I constantly upgraded my knowledge with job specific training, and I was able to leave the union and finish my career in management. I have had as many orthopedic surgeries as many players: 6 knee w/ 2 replacements, shoulder, 2 back - the 2nd didn't work, 2 hand. I rehabbed them without the cortage of professionals and technology the players get.

I'm not complaining. My job enabled my family to live a comfortable life. I am very physically limited now, but am fiercely independent. I pay my own supplemental insurance and Medicare. It's hard for me to feel sorry for some louts who were pampered for so long they thought it should never end.

My hats off to Mark Murphy for not knuckling under to some loud mouthed union bullies sitting on the other side of the table. What about all the Stupid shit that was said by players with single digit IQ's?

:D

smuggler
07-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Murphy makes a valid point with this, even though he probably should scale it back a bit, into the more moderate zone. Your productive years of life a not over once you are done playing football. If you don't contribute during your capable years, how can you expect specail treatment during your incapable years? Most of the "career" players do not contribute after their careers in entertainment. The little guys, the 1-4yr players, do. However, there are guys from both groups who suffer pain and disability from their playing days, and the NCAA and NFL should be responsible for those long lasting effects. No one brings the NCAA into that dicussion, but that is a multi billion dollar a year industry, just like the NFL, and they don't pay a DIME towards player compensation and disability or healthcare!!

Bring down the NCAA!

MadScientist
07-29-2011, 12:43 PM
Good point on the responsibility of the NCAA. They with the NFL should have a fund for taking care of players' football related health problems (generally joint and back problems and concussion related problems) indefinitely. Family coverage and other non-football related health coverage post playing time could be reduced, but a you broke it, you bought it policy would be fair. If Murphy had expressed that idea, I don't think there would have been the same sort of blow back.

Patler
07-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Good point on the responsibility of the NCAA. They with the NFL should have a fund for taking care of players' football related health problems (generally joint and back problems and concussion related problems) indefinitely. Family coverage and other non-football related health coverage post playing time could be reduced, but a you broke it, you bought it policy would be fair. If Murphy had expressed that idea, I don't think there would have been the same sort of blow back.

What about the high schools? Many have argued that Harrell's back problems started in high school.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Mark Murphy created a tempest about nothing. He stood for his own fevered imagination and a preconceived idea.

You could have a point if one of the first offers the owner's made didn't include substantial improvements to both the overall retirement package AND complete health care eligibility for the life of the current players in March. Right out of the gate, the owners offered the benefits Murphy claims are somehow counterproductive.

The lockout was not about benefits and the players asking for more of them. It was about owners looking to take salary back. The only benefits that stood as a major issue were already retired players, the ones Murphy attempts to laud.

He is confused and counter productive.

That doesn't even get into the desire of each and every coaching staff to have players devote their offseason to the team. Exactly when is a player meant to cultivate this second career? In January? June? Teams play into January now, forget the playoffs into February. Offseason programs begin in March and there are April and May minicamps (or there used to be). I can't wait for one of you poor mouthing the players to announce that the players are derelict in their devotion to their first career now that the offseason is open enough to have a second career.

And finally, I would like to see exactly the data that Murphy is presumably looking at that shows him today's players are failing at a higher rate in their after football life than they were in days gone by. Because he would look foolish if today's players were more successful, which I would bet on.

This is about a line of thinking built entirely upon the notion that the players of today are ner-do-wells compered to the heroes of the past. Its entirely bullcrap.

MJZiggy
07-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Months ago I said that players were being ridiculously over-sensitive to remarks by Richardson and Jones, and I would say the same thing about Murphy's comments. It's very simple. Just because a guy plays in the league for 3-4 years, or even 10 or 12 years, the league isn't responsible for his complete care and feeding the rest of his life. Medical/health is a separate issue for evaluation; but Murphy is correct that by doing too much for them you can stifle their ambitions for a post playing career. The NFL has made strides in encouraging their second careers and has off-season programs for training. Perhaps they should do more of that.

This does explain one thing. I asked a while back why Murphy had seemingly been removed from the bargaining process when it looked initially like he might have a prominent role. This article explains it.

I suspect some of the players expected Murphy to be somewhat of an ally because he was a former player. Instead it appears he turned out to be a pragmatist who told the hard truth about players, something they didn't want to hear. As a result, they resented him and his success after his career ended.

Isn't that a small part of the reason why they discourage players from coming out too early in their college careers, so they have a better shot finishing either in the offseason or when their careers are over?

I understand Murphy's point about transition, but also realize that even if they're handsomely compensated during their playing years, the medical risks last far beyond them, even if they do have the whole normal job thing going on. I wonder if professional football injuries are considered pre-existing conditions for most insurers or if premiums are more expensive for those who choose to start their own businesses as post-football careers.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 02:04 PM
It's very simple. Just because a guy plays in the league for 3-4 years, or even 10 or 12 years, the league isn't responsible for his complete care and feeding the rest of his life. Medical/health is a separate issue for evaluation; but Murphy is correct that by doing too much for them you can stifle their ambitions for a post playing career. The NFL has made strides in encouraging their second careers and has off-season programs for training. Perhaps they should do more of that.

Then why did the League offer the entire ball of wax? Increased pensions and health care. The players were not going to strike because of any benefits issues, or money to return to college. This was not a player motivated issue. It is also wrong to look at this as a League only expense. Players will be shunting some of what would be salary to pension plans and still contributing to the health coverage. Its not a freebie for either side.

The owners were happy to pay for the increased benefits to recover salary dollars now. I suspect they also were eager to do this to insulate themselves against lawsuits by players with problems associated with head injuries or other chronic conditions. The increased benefits will reduce the pool of possible complaints and help defend against those who might still file.

But what I don't understand is the abject swallowing of the line that players are less motivated in their post playing careers because of increased money or benefits. Everyone seems to accept this as fact. I would love to see some numbers because I suspect this is the assumption of old people passing judgement on young people.

Noodle
07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
I guess me and pbmax should just get a room, because I agree with every dang thing he says.

But what really worries me is that this suggests that Murp is kind of clueless and utterly tone deaf. Why in the world bring up an issue that, due to the offer by the owners, wasn't even on the table? How was this supposed to move the ball forward? Why create something new to fight about when you've already got plenty to discuss? This is just dumb negotiating and is not the kind of reasoned position (we want everyone to walk away satisfied or this is a failure) that Kraft, whose wife was dying, contributed to negotiations.

And while I agree with others that the players have been kind of thin-skinned, have you actually read the crap that Jones and Richardson spewed. Condescending as hell. As were Murph's comments.

I expect more from the Head Packer. I certainly believe Harlan would never have said something as unproductive and boneheaded as this.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2011, 02:41 PM
Months ago I said that players were being ridiculously over-sensitive to remarks by Richardson and Jones, and I would say the same thing about Murphy's comments.

I think they just manufactured a little artificial outrage for the sake of negotiations.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 02:50 PM
I think they just manufactured a little artificial outrage for the sake of negotiations.

Perhaps. But Jones and Richardson both got called out publicly and stayed in the room, with Jason Witten (not exactly a disinterested party as its his owner) crediting him with moving the talks toward a successful conclusion.

Murphy was never called out publicly and then firmly banished according all available public reports. Just from the tone, it sounds like Murphy committed the greater sin and received the greater punishment.

However, the owners could have viewed him as counterproductive (they were dangling better retirement benefits in their offer as inducement to an agreement while he was dismissing them as counterproductive). Or he was simply expendable. The Steelers and Chiefs seemed to take the Packers seat at the table.

Patler
07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
What did Murphy really say? That it is good for a 35 year old ex-player to have incentives to work and if you give them too much they do not have those incentives. His mention of health coverage was casual, at worst. He mentioned other aspects of their retirement packages as well. He said nothing different than what Bill Gates said about his own kids and the wealth he will/won't pass on to them.

I still think players expected him to be on their side, and they view him as a "turncoat".

Concern about what Murphy said is a big to-do about nothing, in my opinion.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 03:02 PM
What did Murphy really say? That it is good for a 35 year old ex-player to have incentives to work and if you give them too much they do not have those incentives. His mention of health coverage was casual, at worst. He mentioned other aspects of their retirement packages as well. He said nothing different than what Bill Gates said about his own kids and the wealth he will/won't pass on to them.

I still think players expected him to be on their side, and they view him as a "turncoat".

Possibly seen as a turncoat, but the oldest active, retired player that I have seen involved in the NFLPA to date in Cornelius Bennett, who was drafted 3 years after Murphy retired.

He was speaking directly to the status of negotiations with players, which terms were wise and what might not be possible. As a member of the NFL Management Council (or whatever the name of the owner body responsible for labor negotiation is called now), his voice counted.

In terms of a priority list, the non-contextual and non-factual contention that better retirement benefits would hurt players couldn't have been higher than 90th on his list of things that were necessary to accomplish to successfully conclude negotiations.

In fact, the more I consider this, I think the owners probably were none too pleased that he was bad mouthing one of the carrots they were dangling.

Noodle
07-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Patler, mayber you're right. But consider this. These negotiations were the first opportunity we've had a chance to see the Murph in action. Because of his past experience as a player during a strike, he was in a unique position to serve as a bridge owner, a guy who might be able to work with both sides to get something done. And as the head of the league's premier small-market team, it was potentially crucial for him to play a significant role.

And what did he do with this opportunity? He shat fiercely upon himself. He trots out a flatly ridiculous comparison between Lombardi era guys and today's players (without, as pbmax notes, any facts to suggest one cohort has done better post-NFL than the other). And he then says that giving guys 5 years of post-NFL health insurance is somehow going to disincent them from getting a job. Putting aside the logical and factual absurdity of this observation, his side had already made the 5-year offer and length of health insurance wasn't even an issue in negotiations. Epic. Fail.

I want my Head Packer to be savvy. I don't need him to grandstand or get in the press, but I want him to be respected. And most of all I want him to be a leader in all things NFL, because the interests of the Pack can't be represented if he's not in the discussion mix. During the biggest negotiations the league will have for the next (I hope) 10 years, the Head Packer was asked to leave the room. If he were a player, he'd be cut.

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 03:23 PM

This is my opinion as well. It sounded to me like he was just trying to see the issue from another angle and hadn't completely fleshed out the idea. Maybe he should have kept the idea to himself, maybe not. It didn't sound like he was trying to cram it down anyone's throat.

But it does make me surprised to hear that he was "banned" from then on...

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
Possibly seen as a turncoat, but the oldest active, retired player that I have seen involved in the NFLPA to date in Cornelius Bennett, who was drafted 3 years after Murphy retired.

He was speaking directly to the status of negotiations with players, which terms were wise and what might not be possible. As a member of the NFL Management Council (or whatever the name of the owner body responsible for labor negotiation is called now), his voice counted.

In terms of a priority list, the non-contextual and non-factual contention that better retirement benefits would hurt players couldn't have been higher than 90th on his list of things that were necessary to accomplish to successfully conclude negotiations.

In fact, the more I consider this, I think the owners probably were none too pleased that he was bad mouthing one of the carrots they were dangling.

This also makes sense to me.

Patler
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
PB; you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what he said in the context of what else was said, how he said it, etc. (When addressing the players, not the media.) I see it more as possibly a rhetorical, to think about how common goals might be accomplished differently, that's all.

Through out this negotiation, the players have been offended by any action or words that didn't amount to kissing their collective backside. I said before that the owners would gladly identify a sacrificial lamb to "throw out". I thought it would be Richardson. THE players identified Murphy, perhaps because he knew them the best, so they wanted him out.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2011, 07:20 PM
These MFers are getting payed way too much to cry about Murphy spitting a little reality about the situation. Fuck em if they dont like it.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 09:36 PM
It wasn't the players who were upset, aparently, Madtown.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 10:46 AM
PB; you seem to be making a lot of assumptions about what he said in the context of what else was said, how he said it, etc. (When addressing the players, not the media.) I see it more as possibly a rhetorical, to think about how common goals might be accomplished differently, that's all.

Through out this negotiation, the players have been offended by any action or words that didn't amount to kissing their collective backside. I said before that the owners would gladly identify a sacrificial lamb to "throw out". I thought it would be Richardson. THE players identified Murphy, perhaps because he knew them the best, so they wanted him out.

Murphy's comments smacked of the paternalism that was prevalent throughout the history of the baseball players union. "We know what is better for you". I do not think Murphy is the reincarnation of Charles Comiskey or Charley Finley, but as a former player he should have known better. He would not have appreciated such comments as a player. Its a business negotiation with both sides having a vested stake in the results. Bad mouthing additional benefits because of the deleterious nature of those benefits to the players and their second career is a non starter. Its about as out of bounds as a logic for a negotiating position can be.

If the owner's planned this beforehand, then kudos to them. If their reaction eventually made it possible to more calmly negotiate with the players side, then Murphy was sacrificed for a good cause. I have my doubts however, that the owner's bad mouthing their own proposal was a pre-planned gambit.

As for the players reacting to anything that didn't kiss their backside, I don't agree. Its hard to separate out the PR campaign from the actual emotions in the room, but there are 1900 players who can leak any number of stories to the press and only 32 owners plus league staff on the other side. We have no idea how many heated things were said inside the room. More unintentional info was bound to flow from the players side if for no other reason than the numbers involved. And the owner's are all businessmen who have been in negotiations like this most of their adult life. This is another level of experience for most players. And we never lacked for the League's carefully coordinated press attack on the player's lawyer. Leaked emotion versus spin? Neither is very enlightening.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 10:58 AM

I am intrigued though, what goal was Murphy trying to explore possible solutions to?

Scott Campbell
07-30-2011, 11:07 AM
We have no idea how many heated things were said inside the room.

I have the under/over at 14 trillion. Or is that the national debt? I forget.

Anyway, I still can't get too worked up over this. If it becomes a pattern, then maybe we can lynch him.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 11:25 AM
I have the under/over at 14 trillion. Or is that the national debt? I forget.

Anyway, I still can't get too worked up over this. If it becomes a pattern, then maybe we can lynch him.

I agree on the former. On every other matter he has handled (expansion around the stadium, contracts to TT, not cutting coach and staff salaries during the lockout) I have thought he has been quite pro-active.

Only the summer of Favre and this seem to call him into any sort of question.

Scott Campbell
07-30-2011, 11:33 AM
I agree on the former. On every other matter he has handled (expansion around the stadium, contracts to TT, not cutting coach and staff salaries during the lockout) I have thought he has been quite pro-active.

Only the summer of Favre and this seem to call him into any sort of question.

And we wonder why Ted wants no part of a microphone. I don't think it matters what you say. Somebody, somewhere, will find a way to crucify you for it.