PDA

View Full Version : Bonus accelerations for released players

Patler
07-29-2011, 11:42 AM
I have been arguing in several places that some of our well-known sports writers, bloggers and posters were ignoring the fact that bonus accelerations for players released after June 1 were not applied in the current cap (2011), but in the following year's cap (2012). Thus, Harrell will not cost two prorated shares this year, just one this year and one next. The bonuses applied against the 2011 cap for all the players will be the same as it would have been if they had been kept on the roster. Anything left will apply against the 2012 cap.

The one caveat was that I did not know if this provision was continued in the new CBA. Well, it appears that it has been continued:

Per Silverstein at JSO, he has now learned that the June 1 rules still apply under the new CBA so that all of the pro-rated signing bonus money allotted to future years will be applied in the 2012 salary cap.

You can read it here:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126394378.html

Those who were convinced that it would cost more against the 2011 cap to release Harrell this year than it would to keep him because of accelerated bonus appear to have been wrong. Instead, the Packers will take a cap hit next year, too.

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm just hoping next year's cap is larger enough to create wiggle room.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM
I've seen a lot of blogs and posts edited with strikethroughs through the mistaken figures followed by the new figures based on your correct cap mechanisms. Not including the Crosby signing, we are about $15mil under the cap right now.

Patler
07-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Not including the Crosby signing, we are about $15mil under the cap right now.

Changed dramatically rather quickly, didn't it?