PDA

View Full Version : Tauscher released

imscott72
07-29-2011, 02:51 PM
per Twitter

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Sad to see him go. He must have wanted to play again, otherwise he would have taken the hint and retired to save face.

sheepshead
07-29-2011, 02:58 PM
One of the better stories in Wisconsin Sports ever.

pbmax
07-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Now that is a sad day. Tausch is a fantastic player and rep for all of WI. Good luck Mark.

Good luck Pillsbury.

Scott Campbell
07-29-2011, 03:05 PM
Great Packer.

mission
07-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Hopefully he doesn't feel slighted and sticks around to coach... even if he has to take some time off.

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Hopefully he doesn't feel slighted and sticks around to coach... even if he has to take some time off.

+1

Old School
07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Great player, great person. He would be an asset to have back as a coach to aid in the developement of the gaggle of young linemen TT has brought in.

red
07-29-2011, 03:35 PM
thats a tough one to see, but not totally unexpected

so long mark, you've been a great packer

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 03:39 PM
thats a tough one to see, but not totally unexpected

so long mark, you've been a great packer

Of the cuts they've made, it was actually about the most obvious. He would be the #4 OT, and he was getting paid $5.6m this year and he's struggled mightily with injuries in recent years (and he's getting up there in age.) The whole question would be whether he would retire or the Packers would cut him.

Still, sad to see him go.

red
07-29-2011, 03:45 PM
he should be given the title of assistant o-line coach ASAP

Ballboy
07-29-2011, 03:55 PM
Who can say that they played High School football, then went on to their State school and finished at their State's NFL team?

Noodle
07-29-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't know if Tausch is a good guy or not, but he's been a heck of a player. Went to Wisconsin as a walk-on and became a starter on the OL that got Ron Dayne a Heisman and won a Rose Bowl. Then got picked in the 7th round and ended up a starter his rookie year in 2000. Amazing career.

I am really hoping they do something special for him at some point during the season.

MJZiggy
07-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Not to mention he has a Masters and a charity that focuses on literacy.

Noodle
07-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Well, Zigs, that charity certainly weighs in favor of him being a good guy. I didn't know about that. Pretty friggin cool.

MJZiggy
07-29-2011, 05:02 PM
The only thing that weighs against him was that it didn't respond to my request for an interview two years ago. I had just talked with Driver's mom and thought it would make a nice series. Maybe NOW they'll answer my calls...

Freak Out
07-29-2011, 05:36 PM
The end of an era in GB....one hell of a player and man it sounds like. Met him when I was in GB the last time....seemed like a class guy in the 15 seconds we had to chat. :)

MadScientist
07-29-2011, 05:59 PM
he should be given the title of assistant o-line coach ASAP
There is one reason not to do this, if he is out of the league, but keeps working out, he could be a good emergency backup for the Packers. If he is a coach, that is not a possibility.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
Very underrated player over the years. Sad, but his time is up.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah, my mom met the linemen of the Sherman era in a bar in GB once. She said Kevin Barry and Tauscher were the most friendly. Rivera was cordial, but reserved. Clifton was quiet, and Wahle was sort of a prick. It's been a few years but I think that's how the story went.

MadtownPacker
07-29-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, my mom met the linemen of the Sherman era in a bar in GB once. She said Kevin Barry and Tauscher were the most friendly. Rivera was cordial, but reserved. Clifton was quiet, and Wahle was sort of a prick. It's been a few years but I think that's how the story went.
Damn that sounds exactly how I would have figured they would be.

Great career Tauscher, I always dug the local boy makes good story.

Bretsky
07-29-2011, 09:07 PM
What an outstanding story; not sure if you all know this but he didn't excel at UW Madison his first years and when he graduated he had to be talked in to returning to football for his final year of eligibility by the Badger coaching staff. He wasn't remotely considered a possible pro prospect til he played well in his final year at the UW Madison.

He just seemed to blossom his final year at the UW Madison. Even after playing so well, not even the biggest Badger supporters expected Tauscher to be a solid pro. While his play was consistently good, anybody who dwells on the guys athletic ability and measuralbes didn't give this guy a chance.

Green Bay Did

HAIL TO YOU TAUSCH; THANKS FOR THE GREAT PLAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vince
07-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Well done Bob McGinn.
Tauscher: A Tremendous Performer (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126436178.html)

Bretsky
07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
THX FOR POSTING; SURPRISING STATS

SACKS ALLOWED: Tauscher 20 1/2, Clifton 37.

OK, let's move to "bad" runs. I started this in the late 1990s in an attempt to measure run blocking. I defined a "bad" run as a gain for 1 yard or less in non-goalline or non-short yardage situations. Why didn't I just say no gain or worse? Just an arbitrary decision.

CLIFTON 171 GAMES
TAUSCHER 142 GAMES

BAD RUNS: Tauscher 82, Clifton 106 1/2.
PENALTIES: Tauscher 28, Clifton 77.
SACKS ALLOWED: Tauscher 20 1/2, Clifton 37.

Guiness
07-29-2011, 11:35 PM
Didn't he also go an inordinate amount of time without a holding penalty? I remember one of the linemen, he was given one and it was like his first in 5 years or something. Pretty sure it was Tausch.

IMO that's more impressive than anything else.

Partial
07-30-2011, 12:24 AM
Well done Bob McGinn.
Tauscher: A Tremendous Performer (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126436178.html)

Hell of a job by Bob.

smuggler
07-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Yeah, up to a point in his career, Tauscher had never been called for holding. His streak came to an end when some other lineman was called for a hold, but they gave Tausch's number by mistake when assigning the penalty. lol

pbmax
07-30-2011, 11:02 AM
What an outstanding story; not sure if you all know this but he didn't excel at UW Madison his first years and when he graduated he had to be talked in to returning to football for his final year of eligibility by the Badger coaching staff. He wasn't remotely considered a possible pro prospect til he played well in his final year at the UW Madison.

He just seemed to blossom his final year at the UW Madison. Even after playing so well, not even the biggest Badger supporters expected Tauscher to be a solid pro. While his play was consistently good, anybody who dwells on the guys athletic ability and measuralbes didn't give this guy a chance.

Green Bay Did

HAIL TO YOU TAUSCH; THANKS FOR THE GREAT PLAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They needed him to take over for Aaron Gibson I believe.

Kiwon
07-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Tauscher did great for the Pack. Good guy, good player and hopefully he got out of football everything that he wanted. Packer for life.