PDA

View Full Version : How Much Cap Space Have We Cleared?

Scott Campbell
07-29-2011, 03:17 PM
Assuming Barnett is gone. It's adding up pretty quick.

imscott72
07-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Just over 17 M..Enough to make a run at Jones, sign rookies, and a few extensions..

Smidgeon
07-29-2011, 03:28 PM
And when will it be spent? :D

Scott Campbell
07-29-2011, 03:29 PM
And when will it be spent? :D

I thought the new CBA raised the floor dramatically. Doesn't most of it have to be spent in this fiscal year?

Patler
07-29-2011, 03:54 PM
I thought the new CBA raised the floor dramatically. Doesn't most of it have to be spent in this fiscal year?

Yup, by the time TT gets done he may HAVE to go out and sign Asumugha!

Ballboy
07-29-2011, 03:58 PM
What about Wilhelm(?sp?)....isnt he counting a couple+ million towards the cap.....then go after Asumugha!!LOL!!

Lurker64
07-29-2011, 04:04 PM

You have to be under the cap at the beginning of the year (and thereafter). You only have to be above the floor at the end of the year. We've got some people to extend, so the floor won't be a problem.

Noodle
07-29-2011, 04:36 PM
TT really was born for the modern salary cap era. The dude knows how to clear space so that he can keep what he really needs. I don't always like it, as my heart sometimes wants to spend more to keep an old reliable around than is probably prudent.

But then, that's why I'm a fan and he's a GM.

smuggler
07-29-2011, 04:38 PM
There isn't a team floor until 2013. Until then, there is a league floor, and if the league underspends, the teams that paidout the least by the end of the year will pay into a pot until the salary floor is met and that money will be distributed to all NFL players. What "all NFL players means" I do not know.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 09:53 AM
There isn't a team floor until 2013. Until then, there is a league floor, and if the league underspends, the teams that paidout the least by the end of the year will pay into a pot until the salary floor is met and that money will be distributed to all NFL players. What "all NFL players means" I do not know.

There is a team floor but its 89% cash of cap number and you are right it hits first in 2013.

And it won't be hard to hit the number. Teams have regularly spent cash over cap (cash expenditures higher than cap number) for years. A couple of signing bonuses will do it.

This is another area where high revenue teams will help lower ones. The Bengals can spend 89% while the Cowboys and Redskins can drop large signing bonuses and keep the league near its goal.

Silverstein reported that the Packers will need about $10 million of space for rookies, which seems high, though rookie contracts are much different now. He then speculated that there then might be room for one extension (Finley, Sitton) and an offer to Jones.

HarveyWallbangers
07-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Silverstein reported that the Packers will need about $10 million of space for rookies, which seems high, though rookie contracts are much different now. He then speculated that there then might be room for one extension (Finley, Sitton) and an offer to Jones.

I read that, but then I also read that the Packers only need a little over $5M for rookie contracts. I think that is more accurate.

Kiwon
07-30-2011, 11:35 AM
TT really was born for the modern salary cap era. The dude knows how to clear space so that he can keep what he really needs. I don't always like it, as my heart sometimes wants to spend more to keep an old reliable around than is probably prudent.

But then, that's why I'm a fan and he's a GM.

Ah, the memories..........Where'd all the "Fire Ted Thompson!!" threads go?

Scott Campbell
07-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Ah, the memories..........Where'd all the "Fire Ted Thompson!!" threads go?

Canada.

Guiness
08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Canada.

HEY!

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I think he was referring to someone specific...

pbmax
08-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Where is Woodbuck?

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 05:43 PM
Canada. He's disappeared a couple times and shows up again when he gets a bug up his butt about something.

Bossman641
08-01-2011, 06:23 PM
Where is Woodbuck?

Hattiesburg

Bretsky
08-01-2011, 08:26 PM
We need to be about 10MIL under the cap at the season's start for the masterplan. TT extends Sitton or Finley and a good portion of that counts against this year's cap. He gets the other done with next year's cap

pbmax
08-01-2011, 09:02 PM
We need to be about 10MIL under the cap at the season's start for the masterplan. TT extends Sitton or Finley and a good portion of that counts against this year's cap. He gets the other done with next year's cap

So what you are suggesting is that we hope Jordy has a few well timed drops of potential TDs throughout the year? Will this be part of the official Game Day whammy?

pbmax
08-01-2011, 09:04 PM
There is a team floor but its 89% cash of cap number and you are right it hits first in 2013.

And it won't be hard to hit the number. Teams have regularly spent cash over cap (cash expenditures higher than cap number) for years. A couple of signing bonuses will do it.

This is another area where high revenue teams will help lower ones. The Bengals can spend 89% while the Cowboys and Redskins can drop large signing bonuses and keep the league near its goal.

I have read elsewhere that the cash floor is 89% for this year and next then it zooms to 95% and above for 2014 when new TV contract money hits. So unlike some other reporting and posting, there may be a cash floor this year. Which would help explain the $19 million dollar punter.

Bretsky
08-01-2011, 10:12 PM
So what you are suggesting is that we hope Jordy has a few well timed drops of potential TDs throughout the year? Will this be part of the official Game Day whammy?

yes, in winning games we need Jordy to drop some balls so we can keep him, Sitton, and Finley next year. I'm not sure how to work the whammy in but I'm more than happy to try.

smuggler
08-01-2011, 11:11 PM
My understanding is.

2011: NO team cap floor. League must meet 99% of the cap or else... ?
2012: No team cap floor. League must... ?
2013: ?
2014: 89% team cap floor

pbmax
08-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Smuggler you are correct according to PFT today. I should have stuck with an earlier post. But I had just read on their CBA breakdown that it was 89% for the first two years, but that apparently was old info and the new version is still their read:

It remains widely believed by fans and some in the media that the mandatory minimum cash spend of 89 percent under the new labor deal immediately applies. It doesn’t.

While the league as a whole must spend cash in 2011 that equates to 99 percent of the cap, there’s no minimum requirement for each team until 2013. Thus, neither the Bengals nor any other specific team is required to spend another dime — as long as all 32 teams cuts checks this year that equal at least $3.814 billion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/11-teams-still-have-20-million-or-more-in-cap-room/

red
08-04-2011, 10:43 AM
pft is saying we are 15.4 million under the cap right now, that's with everyone signed up.

i think it's time to lock up finley and sitton

pbmax
08-04-2011, 10:53 AM
pft is saying we are 15.4 million under the cap right now, that's with everyone signed up.

i think it's time to lock up finley and sitton

I think that number is BEFORE you factor in new FA contracts that don't become official until the new league year starts. So that number will come down. And during camp, its the most expensive 51 that count against the number.

red
08-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I think that number is BEFORE you factor in new FA contracts that don't become official until the new league year starts. So that number will come down. And during camp, its the most expensive 51 that count against the number.

florio says that is the cap number as of tuesday, its before the official day, but i would think he's taking that into consideration. the article deals with teams that have to get under the cap by tomorrow

i'm under the impression that those new numbers are already factored in

here's the article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/with-cba-coming-salary-cap-compliance-time-is-at-hand/

pbmax
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
florio says that is the cap number as of tuesday, its before the official day, but i would think he's taking that into consideration. the article deals with teams that have to get under the cap by tomorrow

i'm under the impression that those new numbers are already factored in

here's the article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/with-cba-coming-salary-cap-compliance-time-is-at-hand/

Maybe we are missing something. Thompson cleared just over 17 mil in cap space and has signed Crosby, Jones and the new ILB. Crosby alone had an $800,000 base, 1.25 roster bonus and $750,000 signing bonus which, I think puts his 2011 cap number at $2.255 mil.

Plus the rookie contracts (Sherrod has to be $1.4 mil cap number). Unless the Chillar cut put Thompson well over $17 mil of cleared space, the team cap has to be higher than $15 mil under.

That is unless the reporters first giving the Packers salary cap at slightly over $120 million forgot to count only the 51 highest players on roster.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 01:34 PM
According to JSO, $17.26 mil of space cleared when everyone, including Tauscher and Chillar were let go.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/126440208.html

vince
08-04-2011, 02:03 PM
I think the old $120 mil number that was publicized included the defunct tenders for Colledge, Kuhn, Hall, Jackson, Jones, Crosby, et al. I never saw an itemized listing, but that would account for the difference.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 02:06 PM
I think the old $120 mil number that was publicized included the defunct tenders for Colledge, Kuhn, Hall, Jackson, Jones, Crosby, et al. I never saw an itemized listing, but that would account for the difference.

Quite possible. But did each of those guys get tendered under the 2010 rules?

vince
08-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Quite possible. But did each of those guys get tendered under the 2010 rules?
Yes, there were 10 Packers that were tendered under the 2010 rule but had the requisite 4 years to be unrestricted under the new CBA. I looked it up previously but don't have a link at the moment. The $120 mil number was being tossed around without details that I could find, so I suspect that the Crypt Keeper (can't remember his name right now) got the number from the NFL office, who just looked at what was on the books at the time, which was before the new agreement came into effect.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Update from PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/cap-room-snapshot-as-of-thursday/

Packers ($ 11,106,000) in space, 13th highest in league. Bucs, Cheifs and Jags over $28 million.

red
08-04-2011, 03:46 PM
fine pb, you were right

how in the hell do the raiders drop 15 million dollars in 1 day? and how do they even get to that point in the first place, they have no talent

Ballboy
08-04-2011, 03:56 PM
Update from PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/cap-room-snapshot-as-of-thursday/

Packers ($ 11,106,000) in space, 13th highest in league. Bucs, Cheifs and Jags over $28 million.

PFT said in the earlier number that Red used that PFT included the "$3,000,000" or so the teams can take from future years, they dont specify if that $3,000,000 is in the $11,106,000 or not.....that is one reason Reds number was higher.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
fine pb, you were right

how in the hell do the raiders drop 15 million dollars in 1 day? and how do they even get to that point in the first place, they have no talent

Its Al Davis. You should see him order and send back soup at a deli.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 05:53 PM
fine pb, you were right

PFT said in the earlier number that Red used that PFT included the "$3,000,000" or so the teams can take from future years, they dont specify if that $3,000,000 is in the $11,106,000 or not.....that is one reason Reds number was higher.

If the $3 mil is included, the the Thursday number looks plausible. But if not, it still doesn't make sense unless vince is right and the reports that the Pack were at $120 mil before camp were inaccurate.

Fritz
08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Maybe we are missing something. Thompson cleared just over 17 mil in cap space and has signed Crosby, Jones and the new ILB. Crosby alone had an $800,000 base, 1.25 roster bonus and $750,000 signing bonus which, I think puts his 2011 cap number at $2.255 mil.

Plus the rookie contracts (Sherrod has to be $1.4 mil cap number). Unless the Chillar cut put Thompson well over $17 mil of cleared space, the team cap has to be higher than $15 mil under.

That is unless the reporters first giving the Packers salary cap at slightly over $120 million forgot to count only the 51 highest players on roster.

"and the new ILB..." Who'd they sign? What new ILB?

red
08-04-2011, 06:28 PM

its around here somewhere, some guy no one has ever heard of

pbmax
08-04-2011, 06:55 PM

LB K.C. Asiodu

Special Teams replacement for Popp and Chillar.

mraynrand
08-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Its Al Davis. You should see him order and send back soup at a deli.

BOMNF! You just got another reputation bump.

Upnorth
08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know if cap deadlines changed in the new cba? What are the penalties?

smuggler
08-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I think I know the answer to this one. If you violate the salary cap in 2011, you can't sign free agents in the offseason, prior to 2012 (other than rookies). Something like that.

vince
08-05-2011, 06:53 AM
I think it was Andrew Brandt who explained that there aren't "penalties" per se. You simply can't sign anyone that takes you over the cap. The teams that are now over the cap will have the contracts disallowed at the point they reached the cap ceiling unless they make other cuts that then take them under it on the date the cap goes into effect, which they obviously would do. It might not be quite that simple, given that it's likely draftees who have been most recently signed, but that's coming from Brandt.

KYPack
08-05-2011, 07:30 AM
I think it was Andrew Brandt who explained that there aren't "penalties" per se. You simply can't sign anyone that takes you over the cap. The teams that are now over the cap will have the contracts disallowed at the point they reached the cap ceiling unless they make other cuts that then take them under it on the date the cap goes into effect, which they obviously would do. It might not be quite that simple, given that it's likely draftees who have been most recently signed, but that's coming from Brandt.

Yep, that's the "process". I know this somewhat firsthand by being a Bengals fan. The Bengals "Capologist" is the owners daughter with her lap top and an excel model. Twice, in her infinite wisdom, the Bengals have had contracts kicked back by the league, so Cincy lost the player they were trying to sign up.

Fritz
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Nepotism, sweet nepotism.