PDA

View Full Version : Official Training Camp Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Joemailman
07-29-2011, 09:45 PM
The training camp schedule is out. If you go, please feel free to post pictures of hot babes in the stands (or players practicing, if that's your thing).

Looks like the Battle Royale will be at Left Guard. ROLB should also be interesting.

Saturday, July 30 7:00 P.M. - SHELLS
Sunday, July 31 7:00 P.M. - SHELLS
Monday, August 1 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Tuesday, August 2 NO PRACTICE
Wednesday, August 3 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Thursday, August 4 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Friday, August 5 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Saturday, August 6
6:30 P.M. - FULL PADS
FAMILY NIGHT
Sunday, August 7 NO PRACTICE
Monday, August 8 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Tuesday, August 9 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Wednesday, August 10 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Thursday, August 11 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Friday, August 12 1:00 P.M. - HELMETS
Saturday, August 13 PRESEASON GAME at CLEVELAND BROWNS - 6:30 P.M. CDT
Sunday, August 14 NO PRACTICE
Monday, August 15 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Tuesday, August 16 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Wednesday, August 17 7:00 P.M. - FULL PADS
Thursday, August 18 1:00 P.M. - HELMETS
Friday, August 19 PRESEASON GAME vs. ARIZONA CARDINALS - 7:00 P.M. CDT
Saturday, August 20 NO PRACTICE
Sunday, August 21 NO PRACTICE
Monday, August 22 10:45 A.M. - FULL PADS
Tuesday, August 23 10:45 A.M. - FULL PADS
Wednesday, August 24 10:30 A.M. - HELMETS
Thursday, August 25 NO PRACTICE
Friday, August 26 PRESEASON GAME at INDIANAPOLIS COLTS - 7:00 P.M. CDT
Saturday, August 27 NO PRACTICE
Sunday, August 28 10:45 A.M. - FULL PADS
Monday, August 29 10:45 A.M. - FULL PADS
Tuesday, August 30 10:30 A.M. - HELMETS
Wednesday, August 31 NO PRACTICE
Thursday, September 1 PRESEASON GAME vs. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - 7:00 P.M. CDT
ALL PRACTICES CLOSED TO PUBLIC FOR REMAINDER OF SEASON

smuggler
07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
So the first day of camp started about 50 mins ago. PRAY for no injuries!

pbmax
07-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Finley reported to have lost 15 pounds according to Lori Nickel.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Driver was in a walking boot until the end of April but cannot (or would not) tell the reporter what the diagnosis was.

Super Bowl 45 was Feb 6th. That means 8-10 weeks in a walking boot. He had to have torn ligaments, didn't he?

Brandon494
07-30-2011, 04:52 PM

I wonder if hes any faster at his new weight.

red
07-30-2011, 04:54 PM

so he's a WR now?

red
07-30-2011, 04:59 PM
JSO says that finley is in amazing shape

can you imagine a faster stronger version of him?

pbmax
07-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Underwood still on roster, and has been moved to safety.

Jarrett Bush strikes again!

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126456448.html

Joemailman
07-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Tori Gurley will be a guy to watch. Lots of people had him projected to go in the 5-6 round. Big guy at 6-4, 220. 4.5ish speed in the 40. Declared for the draft early, which was probably a mistake. He could have a shot if the Packers don't sign JJ.

Iron Mike
07-30-2011, 09:35 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263265_10150272473090073_71671905072_7831140_21378 94_n.jpg

They're here!!!!

pbmax
07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
How the bloody !$%#!%#!!!!&!% is Joe Arrigo getting time on the JSOnline Packers Live Blog reporting such scintillating news as James Jones might be talking to New York, if they don't take Plaxico instead.

Hasn't he been proven to be a photo credit thief on that USC or UCLA blog?

pbmax
07-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Is this a harness on Mike Neal's shoulder?

http://yfrog.com/kkkbsyej

SavedByGrace
07-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I've heard D.J. Johnson is doing very well. Sounds like he's almost a carbon copy of Jermichael. Very fast, can catch...sounds like a good fit. Probably a good insurance policy once Jermichael signs a huge contract to leave us after this year.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 10:53 PM
From JSO live blog of practice:

-Sherrod at LG (maybe first team according to Nickel)
-Peprah with starters at Safety
-Marshal Newhouse gets some starter reps when Clifton rests at LT
-Levine picked Rodgers on an underthrow to Jennings
-Nelson with a drop in middle of field
-Devon House, with dreads and #31, picks off a pass
-Punt return candidates (Nick Collins, Tramon Williams, Jordy Nelson, R. Cobb, Shields and Shaky Smithson
-Masthay kicking FGs as free agent signees cannot practice until after new league year starts (Aug 4th), he is 3-4 from 38 yards
-Pickett, Raji, Wilson starting D line
-Francois and Cardia Jackson backups at ILB
-DJ Williams ran a good skinny post on Woodson (he was very quick)
-Sherrod gets boot from first team after false start

TomSilverstein:
OK, Beavis RT @brennanlist: @WesTheFatKid : @TomSilverstein just called Atari Bigby a FA RT. Funny stuff. #twitterisfunny [via Twitter]

-Elmore and Lattimore get some first team reps with D
-No serious injuries
-Injured guys: Quarless (hip pointer), Briggs (hamstring), E. Joseph (banged up)
-M3 on DJ Williams and Ryan Taylor: "DJ and Ryan showed up today. The had a lot of movement to do and line up at wide receiver. They got their [via Twitter]

Scott Campbell
07-30-2011, 10:56 PM

It better not be.

smuggler
07-30-2011, 11:49 PM
He said earlier that he was not yet 100% but that he and his people are not fearing reinjury specifically.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 12:01 AM
-Francois and Cardia Jackson backups at ILB

Francois is not what you would call stout. He's also not what you would call any good.

The ILB position is a problem, says Captain Obvious. You can hardly expect that Hawk & Bishop can take all the snaps there this season.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Francois is not what you would call stout. He's also not what you would call any good.

The ILB position is a problem, says Captain Obvious. You can hardly expect that Hawk & Bishop can take all the snaps there this season.

Actually, you could. I don't think Hawk has missed a game in his career. Bishop didn't miss any time last year, and that dude just look stout. I hear what you're saying though. I just don't see Brad Jones as an ILB.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 12:19 AM
Francois is listed at 255. Jesus, he never looked that big to me. I got a real bad impression of him last season, but maybe I need to give him a chance. I agree that Brad Jones is no ILB.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 12:29 AM
I sure hope Francois doesn't make the team. Hopefully, the midget we drafted late can pull a Sam Mills for us.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 08:27 AM

Might be. He has said he won't be 100% (as far as playing without pain) until October. I have to believe the trainers are being really cautious with any previously injured players because they weren't able to monitor their progress during the lockout. By the way, C.j. Wilson has beefed up 15 pounds to 305. I think we'll see a lot more of him this year.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 08:31 AM
I would like a member of the assembled press to ask the new father exactly how to explain all the shoulder injuries last year. While this year's numbers may be skewed (everyone working on their own), it might be time to move back to free weights.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 08:42 AM
You're right about the high number of shoulder injuries. However, I thought the Packers had converted to mostly free weights after Redding came here.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 08:49 AM
You're right about the high number of shoulder injuries. However, I thought the Packers had converted to mostly free weights after Redding came here.

If memory serves, the Packers went:

Sherman regime -mostly machines plus some free weights
Rock Cartwright - all free weights
Dave Redding - mixture of free weights and machines

It was notable at the time because the Packers had just spent a boatload of cash on new machines for Sherman's guy and then Cartwright completely cleared them off the floor. Then Redding removed a significant portion of the free weights and changed the entire focus.

Its like a new defensive coordinator. New DCs will always promise to be more aggressive and then like a Civil War General, be governed by the situation on the ground (read: cautious).

New strength and conditioning guys always have a system and it will always cure what ails you.

SkinBasket
07-31-2011, 10:54 AM

It better not be.

Totally. Slavery was made illegal like over 30 years ago.

SkinBasket
07-31-2011, 10:57 AM
TomSilverstein:
OK, Beavis RT @brennanlist: @WesTheFatKid : @TomSilverstein just called Atari Bigby a FA RT. Funny stuff. #twitterisfunny [via Twitter]

He doesn't play right tackle.

Fritz
07-31-2011, 11:00 AM
It is interesting that Newhouse is getting LT reps. I wonder if MM sees him as a backup LT who could be trusted.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 11:29 AM
From the Press Gazette Live Blog last night:

kareemcopeland:
Peprah at safety with first group, but mccarthy said burnett would be limited. [via Twitter]
7:15

Twitter
RobDemovsky:
No. 2 OL left to right was Newhouse, Lang, McDonald, Schlauderaff and Campbell. [via Twitter]

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 11:33 AM
It is interesting that Newhouse is getting LT reps. I wonder if MM sees him as a backup LT who could be trusted.

Reports were that last year LT was his best position in training camp. I bit unusual for a 5th round pick to have the footwork to play LT.

vince
07-31-2011, 11:35 AM
He's the only guy in line if Sherrod plays LG. Newhouse is fighting for a roster spot, particularly if Sherrod moves back to tackle.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Sherrod also got snaps at LT in #2 offense.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Reports were that last year LT was his best position in training camp. I bit unusual for a 5th round pick to have the footwork to play LT.

Newhouse is the new Tauscher.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Zombo was with #1s. Jones was with #2s backing up Matthews on LOLB, Walden had the #2 ROLB.

Last year Matthews switched sides. Was it to the weak (ROLB) or the strong (LOLB)?

pbmax
07-31-2011, 11:56 AM
Still from Saturday:

PeteDougherty:
Masthay averages 44,7 yards on 7 punts

RobDemovsky:
Tim Masthay in midseason form: 44.7 ave and 4.4 hang time on 7 punts. Me not as much. Had stopwatch in wrong hand on first rep. [via Twitter]

pbmax
07-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Cobb was holder on Masthay's 3-4 FG kicking exhibition.

Elmore at ROLB.

smuggler
07-31-2011, 12:01 PM
I believe he switched to the offense's right, replacing Kampman.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 01:18 PM
Nailed it. McCarthy's opening TC press conference:

The challenge is to get the 100 mph practice day in and day out that prepares your team for football games. So, one a day schedules, frankly, [its] the schedule we have been working as a staff for the last couple of years....

What's going on in the CBA had no effect with this training camp practice structure that we installed as a staff throughout month of may and june so its somehting we have spent a lot of time on. A big part is the rest and recovery for our athletes.

The importance of practicing every 24 hours, having a block of time before they go to practice [to] have the stength and conditioning every day whether its regeneration workout.... Its important to make sure we are getting out bodies through it properly so we can max out in our practice structure in the evenings. So, our classroom work is more important, we have gym instruction where we are able go in there to walk though things that are installed or the following morning walk through corrections from the night before.

So, its really moveing stress points around in your training camp structure but its trying to be a healthier football team coming out of training camp.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 01:28 PM
McCarthy:

Mike, how many days, will you have walkthroughs in the morning, how often where you'll actually be on the field twice?

We'll go on the field one time a day. If you break down the day the am 7-9 is strictly about strength and conditioning and training methods? there will be a lift every other day and a regeneration workout that out training and stength staff spent a lot of time on.

9-12 will be a correction period. We will correct the practice from the night before. Although we will take time as an Offense, defense and even Special Teams will correct those situations on film as well as in the gymnasium.

Lunch.

Afternoon segment will be all about installing.

Then we will pratice it at night. And we will repeat that schedule every single day.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 01:29 PM
Total reps for training camp will not be far off where we have been in the past.

Partial
07-31-2011, 02:09 PM
So, is Johnny Jolly in camp? Did he ever get reinstated? Is he done as a Packer?

Brando19
07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
So, is Johnny Jolly in camp? Did he ever get reinstated? Is he done as a Packer?

TT was asked about Jolly yesterday and he replied, "As far as I know, Jolly is still suspended."

Iron Mike
07-31-2011, 02:44 PM
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/223708_10150273066210073_71671905072_7839560_42396 02_n.jpg

If it wasn't so hot today, I'd think about going to TC tonight...

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow, that's a great shot. Look at his grip on the ball...

rbaloha1
07-31-2011, 07:00 PM

Natural knee bender with goog hand placement. Looked good last preseason as a lt.

Iron Mike
07-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Stumpy needs to start slappin' some Rogaine on that Pittsburgh noggin???

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Mike-McCarthy-press-conference/a03e7b53-9080-4698-bde1-0b7d10faad7e

pittstang5
07-31-2011, 08:01 PM
Natural knee bender with goog hand placement. Looked good last preseason as a lt.

Does he have good pad level?

vince
07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
DJ Williams can catch. That has been established. I count 4 nice receptions tonight.

DJ Williams with great catch from Flynn. Deep flag, over the shoulder. He's been taking advantage of reps.

Finley showing his great hands. He just attacks the ball.

Crazy catch by dj Williams on ball thrown behind him.

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 09:13 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else think Stumpy needs to start slappin' some Rogaine on that Pittsburgh noggin???

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Mike-McCarthy-press-conference/a03e7b53-9080-4698-bde1-0b7d10faad7e

Holy shit. Did you guys hear that Mrs. M3 had a baby last week? Way to retire at the same time as you start paying tuition.

Partial
07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
TT was asked about Jolly yesterday and he replied, "As far as I know, Jolly is still suspended."

Thanks dude

Partial
07-31-2011, 09:19 PM
For the crap Bedard got, there was no one better on Twitter. I still follow him and enjoy the Pats updates. Kind of like having a second team. Works out well as much of my coworkers live in NE area.

Tom Silverstein and Bob McGibb are must follows as well. Twitter is incredible.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:24 PM

I knew you were Cleft Crusty!

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Wow, that's a great shot. Look at his grip on the ball...

He's got large hands Zig ....

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 09:25 PM
kareemcopeland: Crazy catch by dj Williams on ball thrown behind him.

I think we have an early favorite for the "Talk of training camp" Award. Sam Shields won last year.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Holy shit. Did you guys hear that Mrs. M3 had a baby last week? Way to retire at the same time as you start paying tuition.

Born the night before his training camp opening press conference. Nice scheduling by the Mrs and the Doctor. If you go watch the end of his PC from the start of camp (Sat the 30th) at the very end he has to stop to compose himself and says he doesn't want to tear up at the PC.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 09:29 PM
I still stand by my prediction that Cobb and Williams will be the gems of this draft class. Look for both to contribute right away, I see Cobb having 20+ catches 3 TDs while also getting big gains in the return game. I look for DJ Williams to have similar receiving numbers as well.

vince
07-31-2011, 09:38 PM
There ends OTA's and Minicamp. Fully padded practices begin tomorrow.

mission
07-31-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm really excited about DJ Williams... makes me a little more at peace with the potential Finley situation. Everyone seems to speculate that he will chase the big money but that doesn't seem to be based on anything of substance unless I missed something.

HowardRoark
07-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Born the night before his training camp opening press conference. Nice scheduling by the Mrs and the Doctor. If you go watch the end of his PC from the start of camp (Sat the 30th) at the very end he has to stop to compose himself and says he doesn't want to tear up at the PC.

Is that the one where it looks like he's wearing a parka (after first night)? Isn't it hot there?

Partial
07-31-2011, 09:46 PM
I'm really excited about DJ Williams... makes me a little more at peace with the potential Finley situation. Everyone seems to speculate that he will chase the big money but that doesn't seem to be based on anything of substance unless I missed something.

I think that can be extrapolated from his general attitude. Hate hate hate him as a person, love him as a player. I don't think there has ever been a bigger delta bravo on Twitter. It's quite the conundrum.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Is that the one where it looks like he's wearing a parka (after first night)? Isn't it hot there?

Same day, but the jacket was his after practice PC. Its some kind of parka outer shell and shorts. Coaches have no fashion sense, except for Mike Nolan and Tom Landry.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/images/07/30/bill-parcells.jpg

The vid where M3 briefly touches on the subject is this one: http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/Mike-McCarthy-previews-training-camp/6a5c6c00-c704-4c7d-8437-4c22c4c75ae0

Its at the very end.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:52 PM
Doug Farrar of Football Outsiders said DJ Williams looked phenomenal at Senior Bowl and Don Banks is a believer as well. Banks, who lives in Madison, apparently is at Packer camp tonight.

mission
07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
I think that can be extrapolated from his general attitude. Hate hate hate him as a person, love him as a player. I don't think there has ever been a bigger delta bravo on Twitter. It's quite the conundrum.

OK, that's what I thought--and I agree with that as well since I've followed him for awhile. I think the biggest part of that equation is his diva wife and how she wants to be the next real housewife or something. Must admit that I follow her too even though I'm often tempted to un-follow. He'd be smart to stay here and play 10 years with Rodgers putting up a HOF-type career but a lot of guys get derailed on the way and never make it.

And if DJ Williams shows some early flashes, will he look at that like he wants to be part of something amazing or will he look at it like he's not getting enough balls? Curious to see how it unfolds.

gbgary
07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
sounds like the o will be unstoppable. is it possible to have too many offensive weapons? pass d is no concern but i hope we can stop the run better than we did last year.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 10:26 PM
From the Press Gazette Live Blog and Pancake Factory: Sunday Night Practice, July 31st 2011

Copeland: Sherrod back at LG again with the 1s. Bulaga at rt. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: No. 2 o line. Newhouse, lang, McDonald, schlauderaff, Campbell. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Randall Cobb gets the first punt return rep, catching balls from the machine. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Others getting punt return reps: Smithson, K. Taylor, Borel, Collins, Nelson, Tramon Williams and Shields. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: One new injury so far, rookie tackle Theo Sherman is out. He practiced yesterday. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Cj Wilson at right end with no. 1s again. [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: T Theo Sherman, an undrafted rookie, not practicing tpnight, injury unknown [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Quarless, briggs, eli Joseph and theo Sherman out. [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: Randall Cobb lining up as no.1 punt returner, no surprise there. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Cobb gets the crowd clapping on last punt return. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: There are 2 Taylors, 2 Jennings, 2 Josephs, 2 Jones, 2 Williams and 2 Greens on the roster. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: No punt return drops that I saw. Much better than last training camp. Remember Shields' struggles? [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: Just like last night, finley, burnett n meal doing only individual-type work [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Insider LB crew besides Hawk and Bishop: Cardia Jackson, Elijah Joseph, D.J. Smith, Robert Francois. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Good punt return. Kid is quick. RT @PackAttack012 What'd Cobb do to get people to applaud? [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: rookie Chris Donaldson on the sideline.

kareemcopeland: Kinda weird seeing jerry fontenot working with the running backs instead Edgar Bennett. [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: DE Chris donaldson pulled from practice with possible shoulder imjury [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Injury report: DE Chris Donaldson standing to the side with some kind of wrap on his shoulders. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Woodson talking it up during drills. He commands respect and is the leader of secondary. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Can mark Murphy be fined for rockin Nikes? League contract with Reebok. [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: In skeleton passing drill (no defense, no OL), finley catches 2 balls, second one-handed, when extra ball mistakenly thrown to him. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Erik Walden working at ROLB with the first group today. It was Zombo yesterday. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Walden with no. 1s at rolb. It was zombo yesterday. He said earlier they'd be rotating. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Hitch from Rodgers to Cobb. We could see a lot of that from those two. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: brad Jones gets a rolb rep with the 1s. I wanna say good swim move, but no pads so... [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Twos are in now and Zombo is at LOLB and B. Jones at ROLB. Yesterday Jones worked on the other side. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Newhouse getting a lot of reps at LT with the ones. Clifton looks to be getting a light load tonight. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Rookie TE Ryan Taylor confused on last rep. Harrell had to point where to line up. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Battery on new EVO fading fast. Going to my Matt Flynn backup phone. Don't have third phone on my roster. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Francois and cardia jackson still with 2s at inside linebacker [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: TJ Lang now taking some LT reps. Well one rep and the period ended. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Now Clifton is back in. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: James Starks did a nice job in pass pro, picking up Matthews. Perhaps he's a candidate for the third down back responsibilities. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause:
Peprah picks Rodgers on pass intended for Cobb. Possible Cobb ran wrong route. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Brad Jones has gotten into the backfield a lot tonight. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Trgovac giving Cj Wilson the business. Not a happy camper. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Good break on the ball by tramon Williams. Near int. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Second free play cuz of an offside. First one Peprah INT'd. This one Flynn hit a wide open Driver down the middle. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: 7 on 7 time. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Raji smoked Sherrod with an inside move in one on one pass rush drill. Again, no pads tho. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Raji with a sweet inside move on 1on1s. Quick as H-E-double hockeysticks [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Tramon Williams nearly picks slightly underthrown Rodgers pass in 7 on 7. Williams nearly had pick earlier in practice. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Wynn toast rookie dominguez in 1on1. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Lawrence Guy really struggling these first few days with technique. Undrafted rookie Sampson just flattened him in one on one. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Rookie guard sampson genus is really short. And this is coming from a short guy. Listed at 6 foot. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Rookie tight end DJ Williams has made a couple nice catches tonight. Hurry back to health, Andrew Quarless! [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Woodson, Jennings, Collins, Tramon Williams gathered on sideline and seem to be genuinely happy to be here. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Alex green drops first kickoff of jugs machine [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Cj Wilson limping off field. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: No. 1 KR team: Bush, Francois, B. Jones, Zombo, underwood, DJ Williams, Crabtree, K. Taylor, Wilson, West and Green. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: C.J. Wilson goes down in heap on kick return. Walks off, being attended to by trainers. [via Twitter]

==CJ later returned==

RobDemovsky: Cobb was No. 2 returner, Pat Lee was third. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Pat lee with a kickoff return. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Cobb with another kickoff return. Again, dude is quick. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Crazy catch by dj Williams on ball thrown behind him. Jennings with a deep rd catch. Ran past shields. [via Twitter]

PeteDougherty: Jennings beats shields on go route.from rodgets for long td [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Think the Chinese joint would deliver to the practice field? #hungry [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Wilson back in for team period. [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: Tramon int rodgers deep ball intended for driver. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: He's not doing 11 on 11 by design. Only individuals. RT "@AndyBinderMO: @RobDemovsky Rob- have u seen Neal 2nite [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: DJ Williams can catch. That has been established. I count 4 nice receptions tonight. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: #Packers have told Anthony Smith they won't be re-signing him, Smith said in a text message. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: McCarthy: Wilson bruised calf. Donaldson collarbone. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: MM: Lot of positive things at practice tonight. Not many mental mistakes. Will work on tempo. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: McCarthy said Finley did more today, could possibly be full go by Wednesday. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: MM: Hopefully Quarless will be ready to practice by end of week. [via Twitter]

vince
07-31-2011, 11:25 PM
Some more training camp observations from a Green Bay blogger.
http://www.totalpackers.com/2011/07/31/training-camp-observations-7-31-shells/

The most wonderful time of the year is finally back, Green Bay Packers football. It’s my pleasure to work with Total Packers again to bring you any training camp info that I can… but enough talk, let’s get down to it.

A reason to watch special teams
The answer? Packers second-round draft pick Randall Cobb. This guy just looks like he gets it. I heard that he had some trouble fielding punts yesterday, but none of that was apparent today. He caught the ball with ease, is lightning quick and fearless. I enjoy seeing a returner that makes a cut and gets north-south in a hurry as well as a guy who isn’t afraid to take it right up the middle. Cobb does both of these things and early indications are that he at least looks the part. He also looks like he can produce big gains on offense with limited touches, as was evident when he made a move and blew past Clay Matthews on an end around. How many guys can the Packers load up with that have great hands and excel in running after the catch? Knowing that Cobb is the Packers fifth receiver shows how stacked the Packers are at the skill positions.

Another threat at tight end
The talk coming into the league’s training camps was how difficult it would be for the rookies to get caught up since the lockout cancelled all of the team’s normal offseason activities. Thankfully for the Packers, D.J. Williams didn’t get the memo. Last year’s Mackey Award winner has come into training camp firing on all cylinders. I heard how great he showed in the first practice and I was blown away by the number of catches he made as well as his ability to get open. He also had one of the plays of the night with a one-armed snag of an overthrown ball on an out route to the sideline. Best yet, he didn’t just catch the ball, but instantly turned upfield transitioning seamlessly to a runner. We’ve thought in the past that keeping four tight ends was borderline crazy, but this year I can guarantee that it’s expected.

Burnett’s return
Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of Charlie Peprah and the things he brings to the table, but Morgan Burnett has Pro Bowl safety written all over him. During safety drills he made a catch on a ball thrown high and to the sideline, extending his arms and coming down in time to drag his toes before landing out of bounds. I’ve been on the Morgan Burnett bandwagon since he was drafted, but it’s evident that this guy has the range and ball skills to become a great player, potentially elite. The Packers may lose some physicality with Burnett over Peprah but the ability to create turnovers is what this defense really thrives on and Burnett could become a force in making game changing plays.

Odds and ends
Derek Sherrod was with the No. 1 unit at left guard. There were some great throws by the quarterbacks and some really awful ones with Matt Flynn being the biggest offender. C.J. Wilson looked like he was injured by a kick to the calf, but he returned for team drills at the end. Newly re-signed fullback John Kuhn could be seen on the sidelines, as well as recent signees Mason Crosby, Spencer Havner, and Brett Swain. Andrew Quarless was in shells but did not take part in any team drills.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 11:29 PM
There ends OTA's and Minicamp. Fully padded practices begin tomorrow.

Seems like they started only yesterday.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 08:43 AM

Really, hate? Someone you have never met?

Brandon494
08-01-2011, 09:33 AM

Besides having poor PR skills I don't understand the hate towards Finley from some fans. He doesn't seem to be lazy and has never caused trouble off the field.

Scott Campbell
08-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Besides having poor PR skills I don't understand the hate towards Finley from some fans. He doesn't seem to be lazy and has never caused trouble off the field.

I think he's a budding diva.

HowardRoark
08-01-2011, 09:57 AM

I follow the guy on Twitter and have never understood the dislike for the guy; thinking he is an egomaniac. I think he is humorous and very much into being a Packer and a good teammate. I just don’t see it.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 09:59 AM
I follow the guy on Twitter and have never understood the dislike for the guy; thinking he is an egomaniac. I think he is humorous and very much into being a Packer and a good teammate. I just don’t see it.

Agree. I think if he is the biggest concern for the unity of the team and its command structure, then the Packers are lacking in actual problems.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I like Finley, but I do worry about him becoming a diva. It gives me the creeps that he lives in Minneapolis. :) I like him, but I'm a bit worried that he'll become a malcontent if he doesn't get the ball enough (and then leave via FA).

rbaloha1
08-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Finely probably has a monster season thus becoming unsignable. IMO Sitton is a more important signing.

Williams is probably the H back thus Quinn Johnson is bye bye.

Cobb is probably the wildcat qb. The offense is going to be unstoppable.

Smidgeon
08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
So, I really like that I'm getting all my training camp updates here. No need for me to go out and read websites to find out what happened. Although, I might just for some more pictures. Can't get enough football after this unusually dry offseason...

Lurker64
08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
I like Finley, but I do worry about him becoming a diva. It gives me the creeps that he lives in Minneapolis. :) I like him, but I'm a bit worried that he'll become a malcontent if he doesn't get the ball enough (and then leave via FA).

I don't think he lives in Minneapolis, I just think his doctor lives there and that's where he was rehabbing in the offseason.

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 12:35 PM

I thought P was talking about DJ Williams. No?

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't think he lives in Minneapolis, I just think his doctor lives there and that's where he was rehabbing in the offseason.

Well, that's what I thought too, but then I read an article that stated his trainer lives here also.

(How does a guy from the Packers end up in the Twin Cities?) “This is where my doc is and this is where (trainer) Bill Welle is and so this is where Jermichael Finley will be. I’m getting some good work here in the Twin Cities and I’m loving it.”

He also wrote this on Twitter:

Minneapolis is the Shit when weather is on point..

Minneapolis!!!!

He sounds like he's enjoying his stay in Minneapolis, so I wonder how temporary it is.

3irty1
08-01-2011, 07:24 PM
Finley will never get away. Ever. And calling him a diva now is silly. The guy just likes being famous and has a big personality. He hasn't whined about anything, held out, or hurt the team in any way off the field. Rodgers loves him, so should you.

Sounds like DJ Williams is the star of camp so far.

Cobb at holder is boners.

I suspected all along that Sherrod would land himself at LG to start the season, we'll see if that's going to happen. You play your best 5 and that's the only spot to play at.

Anyone else think I should change my sig from "Al Harris" to "Devon House?" He's wearing 31, sporting dreads, and had a pick today.

SkinBasket
08-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I thought P was talking about DJ Williams. No?

Me too, but who the fuck really knows? All I know is that Partial looked into his soul via twitter, and decided he was a person worthy of his eternal hatred, which is probably a good thing for Finley or Williams or whoever.

Fritz
08-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Why isn't Quarless practicing? What's his injury? If I were him I'd be scheming my way onto that field.

I feel for a kid like that Theo Sherman. Has very little chance, and goes and gets hurt. That's pretty much a death knell, missing even two practices for a marginal guy.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Why isn't Quarless practicing? What's his injury? If I were him I'd be scheming my way onto that field.

I feel for a kid like that Theo Sherman. Has very little chance, and goes and gets hurt. That's pretty much a death knell, missing even two practices for a marginal guy.

Dreaded hip flexor. Hasn't passed the team physical yet. Which is carrying M3 across the field at Lambeau on your back.

RashanGary
08-01-2011, 09:50 PM
DJ Williams is built like Keith Jackson. Natural receiver, great after the catch. . . . Similar game.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 10:04 PM
DJ Williams is built like Keith Jackson. Natural receiver, great after the catch. . . . Similar game.

I hope so. I'll have to see him play first. Keith Jackson went really high in the draft, so it wouldn't make sense if he had Jackson's athleticism combined with his production in college for him to go so late. They are both short and stout TEs though.

HowardRoark
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Sounds as though Cobb had a good night.

RashanGary
08-01-2011, 10:24 PM
He was the best TE in college football last year. He's short as far as NFL TE's go today. Fast. He tested so/so on the shuttle and 3-cone, but you watch him on the field, he's pretty darn good after the catch. . . .

Good athlete. Seems like he's a very skilled pass catcher and yards after TE.

Finley didn't test out as an elite athlete either. It seems like there are some athletic abilities that can't be measured. Every year, some of the best players in the NFL tested out as some of the most average athletes. And you look at these guys. . . Finley. . . . He's a frucking freak, but he tested average.

rbaloha1
08-01-2011, 10:28 PM
He was the best TE in college football last year. He's short as far as NFL TE's go today. Fast. He tested so/so on the shuttle and 3-cone, but you watch him on the field, he's pretty darn good after the catch. . . .

H-back. Shall cause match-up problems.

Hope you are correct about Alex Green -- the 50the state would go crazy

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Is it me or do the training camp reports seem disappointing this year? All I'm seeing are the chats. I want to read an article about which guys are catching the reporters eye and stuff like that. It sounds like Cobb and Williams are doing well. That's about all I'm getting right now.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Williams had a less impressive night than his previous outings, Cobb still strong. I am hopeful of better reporting instead of Twitter, and that might happen now that the pads are on.

Lurker64
08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Apparently the most impressive offensive linemen in the first padded practice were Lang and Newhouse.

Brandon494
08-01-2011, 11:04 PM
Apparently the most impressive offensive linemen in the first padded practice were Lang and Newhouse.

Yup and I hear Sherrod has really struggling at LG. I still say Lang is our best LG to start this season.

RashanGary
08-01-2011, 11:14 PM

Glad for both. It would be nice if we had a couple more solid lineman.

smuggler
08-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Could Newhouse really be the long-term solution at left tackle? Things I'm hearing about him say it would be a possibility.

Newhouse - Sherrod - Lang - Sitton - Bulaga

Just musing guys.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 11:35 PM

Newhouse got a lot of praise tonight. Could he play guard?

pbmax
08-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Is it me or do the training camp reports seem disappointing this year? All I'm seeing are the chats. I want to read an article about which guys are catching the reporters eye and stuff like that. It sounds like Cobb and Williams are doing well. That's about all I'm getting right now.

Who used to do JSO? Was it McGinn or Cliffy?

Right now the GBPG is out in front, but there is not a regular recap, you have to find stories like the writeup on Newhouse that just popped up.

Packer Report has got some stuff, Packer Update does blog articles and two of the recent were training camp ones and Chris Jenkins (AP) and his Twitter account will take you to his stories (he seems to have been to every practice as well).

Just don't search for Wilde Twitter, because the first link is for Olivia Wilde and she is far more attractive than Jason.

Lurker64
08-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Newhouse got a lot of praise tonight. Could he play guard?

Coming out of college, Newhouse looked like a classic tweener: not quite as athletic as you'd ideally want in a tackle, not quite as stout as you'd ideally want in a guard. The latter is probably more correctable than the former, but if he's uncomfortable playing inside, it's tough to fix that. If Lang wins the LG spot, he's probably the swing tackle off the bench.

Lurker64
08-01-2011, 11:47 PM

Two things to consider: we've had three practices so far, only one in pads. Ordinarily, we'd have three practices, two in pads, on the first two days of camp. Also, don't compare the coverage you get at the beginning of camp, to the coverage you've gotten over the entirety of camp in a previous year. As the media guys watch, and talk amongst themselves they'll pick up on more things. You start out telling the stories that are obvious to you, and the less obvious stories will reveal themselves.

3irty1
08-02-2011, 12:45 AM

Finley didn't test out as an elite athlete either. It seems like there are some athletic abilities that can't be measured. Every year, some of the best players in the NFL tested out as some of the most average athletes. And you look at these guys. . . Finley. . . . He's a frucking freak, but he tested average.

On offense these so-so athletes can end up being elite. On offense you have the element of surprise so being fluid is more important that being fast.

Cheesehead Craig
08-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Williams had a less impressive night than his previous outings, Cobb still strong. I am hopeful of better reporting instead of Twitter, and that might happen now that the pads are on.

Twitter is helping lazy writers stay lazy. Real easy to type in 4-5 Tweets on practice and say that's your day with no real writing for the paper. Unless it's all Insider-y for the JS.

Deputy Nutz
08-02-2011, 09:36 AM
It is my opinion that you don't need to force Sherrod into a starting position just because he is a first round pick. Last year Buluga didn't have a starting position so they forced him into a competition with Colledge for left guard. Bulaga is going to be a very good right tackle, the second most important position on the roster, but if Colledge didn't beat him out he would have been a left guard for the rest of his career. Sherrod needs to be groomed to play left tackle. The Packers should take their time with him and teach him the skills to excel at the position instead of confusing him with learning how to play a position he has never played.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2011, 09:48 AM
It is my opinion that you don't need to force Sherrod into a starting position just because he is a first round pick. Last year Buluga didn't have a starting position so they forced him into a competition with Colledge for left guard. Bulaga is going to be a very good right tackle, the second most important position on the roster, but if Colledge didn't beat him out he would have been a left guard for the rest of his career. Sherrod needs to be groomed to play left tackle. The Packers should take their time with him and teach him the skills to excel at the position instead of confusing him with learning how to play a position he has never played.

I sort of agree. I think they are just seeing if he COULD play LG. However, if he turns out to be a better LG now than Lang or McDonald, why not roll with him? I don't think it would stunt his growth as a LT. I have a feeling that it's not going to be that easy, and he'll end up being on the bench. Thompson has drafted well, but let's remember that being the 32nd pick in the draft doesn't guarantee that he'll be any good. It looks like he's out of his element at LG. I would expect Lang and McDonald to get a long look. From the coaches comments before camp, I would not be surprised if McDonald end up being the guy. This season you could roll with Clifton-McDonald-Well-Sitton-Bulaga with Newhouse backing up at LT, Sherrod at RT, and Lang backing up at LG. Or substitute Lang for McDonald, and McDonald could be backing up at LG and C.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Do they have a fifth offensive lineman who is good enough to start? That is unproven.

3irty1
08-02-2011, 10:55 AM

I just don't think that's how it works. Your backup LT is almost always someone starting elsewhere on your line. Its just that important of a position. Bulaga was put into competition with Colledge last year to a) provide competition for Colledge and b) See if there is a way to get your perceived best 5 on the field. If Sherrod is the talent his draft position suggests, its going to be tough to keep him out of the lineup, a lineup that has only one fair fight and that's at LG. Lang will win it easily because he'll be much better in the run game but if Sherrod is ok there he could be the backup for the whole left side.

Fritz
08-02-2011, 11:22 AM

I completely agree here. Good post.

Smidgeon
08-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I just don't think that's how it works. Your backup LT is almost always someone starting elsewhere on your line. Its just that important of a position. Bulaga was put into competition with Colledge last year to a) provide competition for Colledge and b) See if there is a way to get your perceived best 5 on the field. If Sherrod is the talent his draft position suggests, its going to be tough to keep him out of the lineup, a lineup that has only one fair fight and that's at LG. Lang will win it easily because he'll be much better in the run game but if Sherrod is ok there he could be the backup for the whole left side.

I know that I'm not a football talent evaluator, and I don't really know what players best suit what positions. But having said that, I think I'd personally be worried about the run game if Sherrod started at LG for the Packers. I've heard that he's great as a re-director on the edge, but that he wouldn't be that good pushing people around on the inside. I'm hoping that giving him snaps on the inside was a way for the coaching staff to accelerate his learning curve. And I'm hoping Lang just dominates from here on out, getting pushed by McDonald (who also develops to the point where he'd be a plausible replacement for Sitton of they don't get him signed to an extension).

I have a lot of hopes.

3irty1
08-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I know that I'm not a football talent evaluator, and I don't really know what players best suit what positions. But having said that, I think I'd personally be worried about the run game if Sherrod started at LG for the Packers. I've heard that he's great as a re-director on the edge, but that he wouldn't be that good pushing people around on the inside. I'm hoping that giving him snaps on the inside was a way for the coaching staff to accelerate his learning curve. And I'm hoping Lang just dominates from here on out, getting pushed by McDonald (who also develops to the point where he'd be a plausible replacement for Sitton of they don't get him signed to an extension).

I have a lot of hopes.

Its not like Colledge was an all world run blocker. A dancing bear like Sherrod wouldn't be a step down IMO--especially in our scheme. I expect Lang to run away with the LG spot, he's a nasty run blocker and probably as good as Colledge was in pass pro. I see McDonald as a guy with perennial pro-bowl upside as a center. I think that's the position he'll wind up in as everyone wants a big center to be that nose tackle of the OL. Hard to see how Scott Wells plays into that though.

RashanGary
08-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I said it the day we drafted him. He came from mississippi state. He does not have pro technique. He's more of a project than you like. Guard will teach him the ins and outs of the line calls. He'll end up at tackle, but right now he's not going to end up anywhere except the bench, practicing his hand and footwork so he can look like a pro out there.

Scott Campbell
08-02-2011, 02:12 PM
I sort of agree. I think they are just seeing if he COULD play LG. However, if he turns out to be a better LG now than Lang or McDonald, why not roll with him? I don't think it would stunt his growth as a LT. I have a feeling that it's not going to be that easy, and he'll end up being on the bench. Thompson has drafted well, but let's remember that being the 32nd pick in the draft doesn't guarantee that he'll be any good. It looks like he's out of his element at LG. I would expect Lang and McDonald to get a long look. From the coaches comments before camp, I would not be surprised if McDonald end up being the guy. This season you could roll with Clifton-McDonald-Well-Sitton-Bulaga with Newhouse backing up at LT, Sherrod at RT, and Lang backing up at LG. Or substitute Lang for McDonald, and McDonald could be backing up at LG and C.

McCarthy has said in the past the best 5 linemen would play.

swede
08-02-2011, 03:43 PM

Maybe his dad should call the coach and try to straighten things out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Its not like Colledge was an all world run blocker. A dancing bear like Sherrod wouldn't be a step down IMO--especially in our scheme. I expect Lang to run away with the LG spot, he's a nasty run blocker and probably as good as Colledge was in pass pro.

People underrate Colledge. He is an average starting NFL lineman with a lot of valuable game experience. If Lang were as good as Colledge he would have beat him out.

Sherrod or McDonald may very well develop into an upgrade on Colledge, but it will take a couple years.

Noodle
08-02-2011, 05:23 PM
On offense these so-so athletes can end up being elite. On offense you have the element of surprise so being fluid is more important that being fast.

Jerry Rice and Emmit Smith, among others, would agree with this astute observation.

Lurker64
08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
People underrate Colledge. He is an average starting NFL lineman with a lot of valuable game experience. If Lang were as good as Colledge he would have beat him out.

Sherrod or McDonald may very well develop into an upgrade on Colledge, but it will take a couple years.

I'm not sure that Lang wouldn't beat out Colledge in this camp, were Colledge retained. The reason Lang didn't beat out Colledge last year was conceivably "he missed the whole offseason after having wrist surgery."

mission
08-02-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure that Lang wouldn't beat out Colledge in this camp, were Colledge retained. The reason Lang didn't beat out Colledge last year was conceivably "he missed the whole offseason after having wrist surgery."

Seems like not having full confidence in a wrist could be one of the worst injuries for an O lineman. I broke my wrist and even after I was supposedly recovered, I still used my other hand to open doors and that kind of thing. Has to be a huge part of the downswing last year... we were all so high on him early.

I'd like to see Lang actually win the job and have Sherrod backup at LT-- not because I have a problem with Serrod playing LG. I don't. Just that eventually he won't be there and finding the 8-year starter at LG now is a big thing itself. If Lang has a monster camp there wouldnt be any doubt about our OT/OG of the future.

Noodle
08-02-2011, 07:07 PM
I guess I don't mind Sherrod getting some reps at LG, but I'd be more in favor of having him understudy and immerse himself in LT. Cliffy can't play forever, and odds are he will need to be spelled a few times this year. I'd rather have Sherrod start grooming himself for those opportunities.

How is playing around at LG, a position he hasn't played in forever, supposed to build his confidence and development as an LT?

Sherrod to me just isn't G material, does anyone think otherwise? If that's the case, why waste his time there?

Scott Campbell
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
I guess I don't mind Sherrod getting some reps at LG, but I'd be more in favor of having him understudy and immerse himself in LT. Cliffy can't play forever, and odds are he will need to be spelled a few times this year. I'd rather have Sherrod start grooming himself for those opportunities.

How is playing around at LG, a position he hasn't played in forever, supposed to build his confidence and development as an LT?

Sherrod to me just isn't G material, does anyone think otherwise? If that's the case, why waste his time there?

How do you know until you try him there?

Noodle
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I suppose, SC, you have a point, but from scouting reports I have a sense of his strengths: terrific wingspan, good lateral movement, good quicks, good balance and can mirror well, and his weaknesses: light in the caboose, doesn't anchor great, and does not drive block with power. So his skill set seems far better suited to T than to G.

But if you want to see him get his butt kicked at LG, by all means, let's give him a go.

vince
08-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Sherrod getting his butt kicked at LG isn't the worst thing that could happen for him. If he needs to beef up, what better way to internalize it for him. Trial by fire baby. Though, I'm guessing he's not the only new guy getting pushed off balance by guys like Pickett and Raji at this point.

KYPack
08-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Football is back and the forum is rolling with this thread. I'm going with Nutz's thesis on this one. LT in the pro's takes some time to learn. Sherrod has not experienced anything close to NFL pass rushers while playing in the SEC. He needs to start learning that LT footwork and work on his pass pro. Cliffy is not the coaching type, but it's gotta help for the kid to be exposed to the old vet's tricks at that job.

We've got guys who can hang at the LG position, let's groom the kid to learn pass pro on the blind side

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm going with Nutz's thesis on this one. LT in the pro's takes some time to learn. Sherrod has not experienced anything close to NFL pass rushers while playing in the SEC. He needs to start learning that LT footwork and work on his pass pro.

One consideration is that Newhouse is getting rave tweets filling-in for Clifton. Not to read too much in, but maybe they got their best backup LT in place.

Giving Sherrod reps at LT for his long term development has value, but the top priority is getting the best understudy for Clifton ready. Sherrod can compete with Newhouse when the time comes.

By playing Sherrod at LG, they give the #1 pick maximum meaningful reps. Best case scenario for team is that he wins the job. Heck, lets take a shot at the best case scenario.

Brandon494
08-02-2011, 10:31 PM
All they are doing is seeing if he can play guard. So far its clear that he can not and they will most likely end up moving him back to tackle. Its pretty clear Lang is going to win the starting LG job.

HarveyWallbangers
08-02-2011, 10:39 PM
Nice!

I sure hope Francois doesn't make the team. Hopefully, the midget we drafted late can pull a Sam Mills for us.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110802/PKR07/110802162/Eric-Baranczyk-analysis-Sherrod-Cobb-show-promise?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

D.J. Smith a fireplug
Sixth-round pick D.J. Smith physically looked like Sam Mills out there. Mills, who had an outstanding 12-year career in the NFL, was really short for a linebacker at 5-foot-9. Smith isn’t quite that small, but he’s only 5-10 1/4. Still, he showed a little something.

Noodle
08-02-2011, 10:43 PM
What the heck, it's pre-season, and as KY notes, it's been a long time since there's been something to talk about, so I'm going to make a bigger deal out of this than is necessary --

Pre-season has already been cut to dang near nothing, so why oh why do you waste anyone's time with Sherrod taking LG reps? Especially this year, every rep is precious, don't you want guys like Lang, who may actually be your LG, taking those reps instead of Sherrod? And every rep at LG is just a waste of time for a guy you should be grooming to do one thing, play T.

This reminds me of the musical chairs crap that we did a couple of years ago with guys shifting all the time. Doesn't work. Let Sherrod drink deeply from the well of wisdom that is Cliffy.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2011, 10:50 PM
All they are doing is seeing if he can play guard. So far its clear that he can not and they will most likely end up moving him back to tackle. Its pretty clear Lang is going to win the starting LG job.

As long as Sherrod is getting the most reps at RG, the only credible explanation is that the coaches believe that Sherrod is their best option at the position.

You might be right that Lang will ultimately win the job.

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2011, 10:51 PM
Pre-season has already been cut to dang near nothing, so why oh why do you waste anyone's time with Sherrod taking LG reps?

Either the coaches are numbskulls, or they disagree with you and think Sherrod can be better than Lang this season.

Maybe the Sherrod exeriment will be over tomorrow, who knows. What will we talk about then?

Harlan Huckleby
08-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Nice!
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110802/PKR07/110802162/Eric-Baranczyk-analysis-Sherrod-Cobb-show-promise?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

Probably you were right about another thing in the past 24 hours. Like the old saying.

vince
08-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Nice!

That was a pretty good read on the first practices.

Noodle
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Vince, agree regarding the camp report. The GB Press Gazette is blowing JS away with the quality of its camp reports. Demovsky seems to have a good knowledge of the game, and I'm ashamed to say I don't know that much about him. But I like the detail and analysis in his reports.

All the JS can do is tweet.

Guiness
08-03-2011, 01:26 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not at all how I remember the competition between Bulaga and Colledge. I thought Bulaga was looking spectacular at LG, and it was looking very much like he would win the job...then he got hurt, and Colledge started the season. He didn't get a chance to get back on the field until the RT got hurt.

Long run, it's probably better is happened this way - he's playing a much more difficult to fill position.

bobblehead
08-03-2011, 07:36 AM
What the heck, it's pre-season, and as KY notes, it's been a long time since there's been something to talk about, so I'm going to make a bigger deal out of this than is necessary --

Pre-season has already been cut to dang near nothing, so why oh why do you waste anyone's time with Sherrod taking LG reps? Especially this year, every rep is precious, don't you want guys like Lang, who may actually be your LG, taking those reps instead of Sherrod? And every rep at LG is just a waste of time for a guy you should be grooming to do one thing, play T.

This reminds me of the musical chairs crap that we did a couple of years ago with guys shifting all the time. Doesn't work. Let Sherrod drink deeply from the well of wisdom that is Cliffy.

You don't think that every rep is crucial for sherrod to learn the OL calls and assignments? He needs reps too, and since Cliffy is the starter at LT, LG is the logical place for him to get them....plus, what if he actually wins the job?

Noodle
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Good point, Bobble, but I'd far prefer that he concentrate at this point on learning his LT assignments and technique. So while there is some small benefit in him getting some trigger time at LG, I think that's outweighed by what he is losing in opportunity to learn the LT position at the pro level.

Yoop
08-03-2011, 09:07 AM
every rookie works both at T and G, how else do you expect the coaches to detirman what position the player is best suited to play, years ago LG and LT where the most important positions on the oline, I still think LG is the more demanding position between the two, I also agree that Bulaga and Colledge where neck and neck last year for the start, and Bulaga's injury gave colledge the job, it worked out because we needed him later at RT.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Vince, agree regarding the camp report. The GB Press Gazette is blowing JS away with the quality of its camp reports. Demovsky seems to have a good knowledge of the game, and I'm ashamed to say I don't know that much about him. But I like the detail and analysis in his reports.

All the JS can do is tweet.

McGinn is back with the JSO daily camp report.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/126746083.html

pbmax
08-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Shields hurt his thigh last night. Ripped his uni and had it iced on sidelines. McCarthy downplayed it.

Lurker64
08-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Shields hurt his thigh last night. Ripped his uni and had it iced on sidelines. McCarthy downplayed it.

In the presser McCarthy said it was a uniform malfunction not an injury, he could have just been icing it because of some turf burn or something.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 01:20 PM
In the presser McCarthy said it was a uniform malfunction not an injury, he could have just been icing it because of some turf burn or something.

What is on Nitschke Field? DD Grassmaster or FieldTurf?

MJZiggy
08-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Go Shaky! http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article_ketchman/article-1/One-return-could-change-his-life/5ea92581-50d9-4dac-af0b-4e1a4988770a

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2011, 05:11 PM
What is on Nitschke Field? DD Grassmaster or FieldTurf?

Not sure what DD Grassmaster is? I thought it was the same thing as Lambeau, and I thought that was FieldTurf. I could very well be wrong.

Lurker64
08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Not sure what DD Grassmaster is? I thought it was the same thing as Lambeau, and I thought that was FieldTurf. I could very well be wrong.

DD Grassmaster is what they have at Lambeau field: real grass reinforced with artificial fibers so the field doesn't go to shit towards the end of the season (c.f. Soldier Field.)

Bossman641
08-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Regarding Sherrod, aren't there some coaches who think it's easier to make the transition from LG to LT than from RT to LT? I don't know how Campen feels but it's a thought. If they don't want to shuffle Bulaga to LG and Sherrod to RT, there is no harm in letting Sherrod take snaps for a week or 2 and see how he fares. Best case scenario, he wins the job and has an easier transition if/when Clifton hangs them up after this year. This also allows Newhouse to get more reps at LT as well.

If he's still struggling in a week I'd like to see them all the LG snaps to Lang/McDonald, but I can at least see the thinking in giving Sherrod a shot.

Fritz
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Is it remotely possible that the coaches figure TJ Lang pretty much has the spot sewn up, so they want to cross-train Sherrod to play both tackle and left guard? And with Newhouse impressing so far at LT maybe they want to keep getting him reps as the primary backup LT and Sherrod as the primary backup LG. I dunno. Just wondering if this could be so.

HarveyWallbangers
08-04-2011, 10:46 PM
This reminds me that somebody said Jones is 6'1 but plays 6'3" while Jordy is 6'3 but plays 5'11". I meant to call them on it--as I think Nelson makes plenty of catches along the sidelines where he go gets the ball. Does he play like Calvin Johnson? No. But to say he plays 5'11" is harsh. He's made plenty of plays where he's used his height to his advantage.

Nelson jumping out: One of the reasons the Packers spent an early second-round pick on Jordy Nelson in the 2008 draft was his ability to go over defensive backs for contested throws and come down with the ball.

They’re starting to see more evidence of that at the NFL level early in training camp this year.

During a two-minute drill in practice Wednesday night, Nelson caught a 25-yard fade pattern over cornerback Sam Shields, and then two plays later caught a 23-yarder over cornerback Pat Lee.

On both plays, Nelson played tall and was able to jump for the ball while the cornerbacks struggled to keep their feet.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Is it remotely possible that the coaches figure TJ Lang pretty much has the spot sewn up, so they want to cross-train Sherrod to play both tackle and left guard? And with Newhouse impressing so far at LT maybe they want to keep getting him reps as the primary backup LT and Sherrod as the primary backup LG. I dunno. Just wondering if this could be so.

This is a credible theory.

My guess is the position is totally up in the air, and they see Sherrod as a legitimate option for the starting job.

smuggler
08-04-2011, 10:57 PM
Jordy!! He made some clutch catches for us last year, but he has had issues with drops as well...

pbmax
08-05-2011, 08:16 AM

Yes, with one caveat. I doubt they take time away from Lang preparing to be a new starter if they were certain. So Sherrod is getting the reps that allow him to get experience and exposure (and put the five most talented on the line) but also allow Lang and Newhouse to get serious time at their more established positions.

I full expect, if Sherrod doesn't improve, for him to spend the majority of the rest of camp at LT with Lang and MacDonald at LG.

Fritz
08-05-2011, 08:58 AM
So the coaches have never really decided if they like Lang as a tackle or guard? I thought they'd finally established that he's a guard.

vince
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Here's Larry McCarren's trainiing camp report from last night.
http://wearegreenbay.com/trainingcamp-fulltext?nxd_id=7777

Like they say in hockey, the team is at full strength. Thanks to the ratification of the new CBA, the Packers had Mason Crosby, James Jones, John Kuhn, Spencer Havner and Brett Swain practicing for the first time tonight. As per the NFL's transition rules, they were held out after signing free agent contracts prior to the CBA becoming official.

The session itself included plenty of red zone work, another two-minute drill and offensively speaking, one not so pretty blitz drill. Too much penetration, too much pressure on the quarterbacks. There's technique involved in the actual blocking of a blitzer but that can be helped immeasurably by the proper mental approach: if you're assigned a potential blitzer on a play, plan on him COMING! You can always adjust if he doesn't but you best be more than ready if he does. Don't be the little league shortstop who's hoping the ball doesn't get hit to him. Anticipate the most demanding thing that can happen on a play and react to the rest.

Moving the focus to individual players, methinks James Starks has been the most impressive running back in camp to date. Tonight, he just powered his way through a Nick Collins tackle in the red zone. Tough to do.

Bryan Bulaga looks like he's ready to be a fixture at right tackle for the next decade. When he's doing 1 on 1's, he often works against Clay Matthews. Matthews is about as good as it gets flying in off the edge but Bulaga's been blocking him on a regular basis. Bulaga has all the physical tools but he's also very detailed in his technique. He's rapidly becoming a "first time, every time" type guy when it comes to proper technique.

During one of the special teams periods tonight, (there are several throughout a typical practice), the punt return team was being put through its paces. The Packers had several return men working, but when rookie Randall Cobb takes his turn, it's like he's on fast forward and everybody else is stuck in the mud. I know it's early, but that young man looks like he's got the mystical "it" when it comes to running back punts. Cobb may also be one of those guys who's as fast as he needs to be (think Greg Jennings). Tonight I saw him run away from Sam Shields on a crossing pattern, and Shields may be the fastest guy on the team.

One other note from tonight's workout: the first defense was in its base 3-4, but Ryan Pickett played nose tackle, with B.J. Raji at right end and Mike Neal at LE. It wasn't just a one time thing either, they lined up like that several times, so it wasn't just the guys screwing up. Perhaps something new and exciting from Dr. Capers. I'll keep you posted.

Fritz
08-05-2011, 09:30 AM
Couple things:

First, I'm hearing so many positive reports on so many young players (Cobb, Bulaga, DJ Williams, House, Walden) that I'm getting a boner.

Secondly, I saw an "Insiders" headline from the GBPG that said something about Harrell signing with the Packers. Which Harrell? Isn't Graham a 2nd year guy who'd already be under contract? Or no? If so, did they sign another Harrell or could it be Justin?

vince
08-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Here's one about a vet for you Fritz

On a line to Cobb. Whatever Rodgers did this offseason...worked.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
I full expect, if Sherrod doesn't improve, for him to spend the majority of the rest of camp at LT with Lang and MacDonald at LG.
If Sherrod doesn't improve, I expect him to spend the year on the inactive list.

Sherrod has done a little better every day, if you believe the twits. I mean tweets.

Sounds like Newhouse built-up his body in past year and has earned the LT backup job.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Here's Larry McCarren's trainiing camp report from last night.
http://wearegreenbay.com/trainingcamp-fulltext?nxd_id=7777

Moving the focus to individual players, methinks James Starks has been the most impressive running back in camp to date. Tonight, he just powered his way through a Nick Collins tackle in the red zone. Tough to do.

Ding Ding Ding Ding!

If Larry McCarren doesn't want to be president of the James Starks Fan Club, I'll do it. I really think he will earn the majority of carries as the season proceeds.

Fritz
08-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Here's one about a vet for you Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Lori Nickel

What did he do in the offseason, anyway? I thought he was out there banging hot chicks.

And apparently it works.

vince
08-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Bulaga, Wells and Sitton have not been beaten in 1 on 1 pass pro drills so far in camp by anyone. Bulaga has been matching up extensively with Matthews, which explains his relatively poor record.
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/08/05/three-o-linemen-perfect-in-1-on-1s-so-far/

Three O-linemen perfect in 1-on-1s so far

Through three padded practices, the offensive linemen hold a 65-37 edge in the one-on-one pass rushing/pass blocking drill.

Here’s a breakdown of the individual records of each player who has taken a rep in the drill.

Offense

Bryan Bulaga: 8-0

Josh Sitton: 5-0

Scott Wells: 4-0

Derek Sherrod: 9-5

Chad Clifton: 2-1

Caleb Schlauderaff: 5-6

T.J. Lang: 3-1

Marshall Newhouse: 7-1

Nick McDonald: 4-1

Ray Dominguez: 2-10

Sampson Genus: 5-4

Evan Dietrich-Smith: 5-3

Chris Campbell: 6-5

Total: 65-37

Defense

Clay Matthews: 2-4

B.J. Raji: 3-8

Mike Neal: 3-5

Frank Zombo: 3-2

Brad Jones: 3-4

Ryan Pickett: 1-1

Howard Green: 1-2

Jarius Wynn: 3-6

C.J. Wilson: 3-9

Erik Walden: 2-4

Ricky Elmore: 1-2

Lawrence Guy: 2-2

Vic So’oto: 3-3

Jay Ross: 4-8

Jarami Lattimore: 2-4

Chris Donaldson: 1-1

Total: 37-65

Notes: Sometimes, the statistics don’t tell the whole story, especially in B.J. Raji’s case. He has had solid rep after solid rep, getting good, strong push, but just not quite beating the offensive player to get to the quarterback. … Bulaga has been perhaps even better than his perfect numbers indicate. He really hasn’t come close to losing a rep. … Some camp observers give ties; I don’t. If the defensive player doesn’t get to the quarterback or wouldn’t force the quarterback to leave the pocket, then it’s a win for the lineman on my grading scale. … Due to poor sightlines in Thursday’s practice, there may be a rep or two missing. The drill Thursday night was conducted on the far side of the field, across from where reporters normally view practice.

vince
08-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Lori Nickel

What did he do in the offseason, anyway? I thought he was out there banging hot chicks.

And apparently it works.
That, plus he changed his diet, dropped a few lbs. and worked out with his brother pretty hard. There's a video floating out there on Youtube showing their workout regimen. That said, it was undoubtedly the chick-banging that made all the difference.

Joemailman
08-05-2011, 08:36 PM
From live updates of tonight's practice.

Davon House with ice on his left hamstring. Probably won't see him tomorrow night.

Sounds like James Starks having another food night.

Newhouse at RT tonight.

Sherrod still at LG.

D.J. Smith on all the #1 ST units.

pbmax
08-06-2011, 08:47 AM
So the coaches have never really decided if they like Lang as a tackle or guard? I thought they'd finally established that he's a guard.

I have seen that he is getting 2nd team LG reps. Not sure about time at tackle.

Joemailman
08-06-2011, 09:04 AM
They are experimenting with Sherrod at LG right now. I expect Lang to start getting LG reps with the 1's pretty soon. He may end up battling Newhouse for the position.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2011, 10:05 AM
They are experimenting with Sherrod at LG right now. I expect Lang to start getting LG reps with the 1's pretty soon. He may end up battling Newhouse for the position.

Newhouse has demonstrated he is good at LT, and they will keep him there until he proves otherwise. Clifton is at the rickety stage of his career, I don't think they prefer to have a raw rookie like Sherrod at this critical position.

I guess it is Sherrod - Lang - McDonald fighting it out at LG. If they all suck, maybe Bulaga moves over and Newhouse plays RT, but lets hope not.

It does seem logical that Lang win the LG job, especially since Lang has some experience and Sherrod looks so darn top heavy - no butt. But I just have a hunch that Sherrod is a much better athlete than Lang, and the Packers are going to move heaven and earth to try and get Sherrod's technique down so he can start at LG. We'll know soon if they give up on the Sherrod project.

Brandon494
08-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Honestly whoever does win the starting LG job I'd be fine with it. That's called having depth! THANKS TED

rbaloha1
08-07-2011, 11:23 AM
This is a credible theory.

My guess is the position is totally up in the air, and they see Sherrod as a legitimate option for the starting job.

Unsure about this. Lang is coming off a wrist injury and may have nothing locked-up. Other prospects could leap frog Lang.

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
I would say the job is Sherrod's to lose. And there's an excellent chance he will do so. Lets see if he gets smoked against live competition.

Joemailman
08-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Sherrod and Newhouse the LG/LT combo in practice tonight. Sherrod going to get the start Saturday night?

mission
08-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Sherrod and Newhouse the LG/LT combo in practice tonight. Sherrod going to get the start Saturday night?

Sherrod has supposedly looked good tonight

Harlan Huckleby
08-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I think Newhouse has LT backup locked down. That means either Sherrod wins the starting LG job, or he rides the pines/inactive train for 2011. You have to beleive that management wants their #1 pick playing more of a role.

Ya, they are forcing a square peg into a round hole with Sherrod at guard. But he's reportedly an agile athlete, maybe he can make it work.

pbmax
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Newhouse hurt his shoulder tonight. Injuries are starting to pile up. Crosby has an ankle sprain and Underwood is out a couple weeks with a knee injury. Swain injured his hammy tonight.

Lawrence Guy and TWill both back to practice.

Out tonight:Underwood, house, Jackson, briggs, battles, Joseph, from Kareem Copeland. Campbell was unseen at the start, not sure of status.

pbmax
08-08-2011, 10:30 PM
I think Newhouse has LT backup locked down. That means either Sherrod wins the starting LG job, or he rides the pines/inactive train for 2011. You have to beleive that management wants their #1 pick playing more of a role.

Ya, they are forcing a square peg into a round hole with Sherrod at guard. But he's reportedly an agile athlete, maybe he can make it work.

Sherrod went 3-0 in 1-1 pass block drills tonight versus Raji, Neal and Walden.-Rob Demovsky

vince
08-08-2011, 11:01 PM
There's a lot of practice time left. Add these comments to the news of Sherrod's play tonight and Newhouse's shoulder injury. McCarthy brought up the "availability and accountability" meme when talking about Newhouse...

Newhouse pulled from LT after false start. Sherrod to LT Lang to LG - and Lang pushes Neal backward on run.

Zombo just gave Newhouse the business...

It looks like Lang is playing well at LG and Sherrod is starting to get up to speed.

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 11:53 AM
Lang could have problems making the roster. McDonald and Newhouse play multiple positions. The Arkansas free agent possibly makes the roster. Unsure about Caleb.

Nonetheless maybe Lang should be traded.

vince
08-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't think there's a chance in hell Lang is cut. If he doesn't start, he can go both inside and outside with far more reliabilty than any of the other back-up linemen.

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 12:23 PM
I don't think there's a chance in hell Lang is cut. If he doesn't start, he can go both inside and outside with far more reliabilty than any of the other back-up linemen.

Lets wait until the end of pre season to see how well the other backups perform. IMO Lang is no lock to make the roster.

Yoop
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Lang could have problems making the roster. McDonald and Newhouse play multiple positions. The Arkansas free agent possibly makes the roster. Unsure about Caleb.

Nonetheless maybe Lang should be traded.

Lang is easily one of the top 9 lineman on this team and possibly top 5 if he wins the LG job, he also has played more than one position, Newhouse and McDonald have looked good this season, mostly Newhouse, But so has Lang, I dont see him going anywhere.

pbmax
08-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Lang also got work at tackle recently.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Lang is the only potential backup with game experience

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Lang is easily one of the top 9 lineman on this team and possibly top 5 if he wins the LG job, he also has played more than one position, Newhouse and McDonald have looked good this season, mostly Newhouse, But so has Lang, I dont see him going anywhere.

I have not seen any reports of Lang performing well in the pre season. Its going to be a battle especially if the draft picks and free agents step-up.

Brandon494
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
No way in hell they cut Lang.

Joemailman
08-09-2011, 06:52 PM
If Lang isn't one of the top 9 O-linemen on this team, the O-Line is a hell of a lot better than I thought it was.

mission
08-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Lets wait until the end of pre season to see how well the other backups perform. IMO Lang is no lock to make the roster.

Sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Joemailman
08-09-2011, 08:30 PM
Not much to report from practice tonight with veterans (7th year or more) getting night off. Newhouse at LT, so injury not serious. Chastin West having a good night. Maybe he'll make some other team.

FWIW: Depth chart released today. http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

Walden starter at ROLB. Sherrod over Lang at LG. Burnett over Peprah at S.

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 08:38 PM
No way in hell they cut Lang.

Maybe a trade

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 08:40 PM
If Lang isn't one of the top 9 O-linemen on this team, the O-Line is a hell of a lot better than I thought it was.

Maybe it is. Recall Lang is coming off injury and played poorly last season. Although he is no Barbre, Lang should not take anything for granted.

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 08:41 PM
Lang is the only potential backup with game experience

Correct. Still does not mean this supersedes an average/poor performance.

vince
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Chastin West having a good night. Maybe he'll make some other team.
Chastin West is having a good camp. He's made a few leaping catches in traffic. It looks like he could be good possession receiver. The Packers have so many good receivers it's ridiculous, including a good portion of the TE and RB guys. I hope he shows up in the preseason games and catches on somewhere. Listening to him speak in the lockerroom suggests he's a solid and smart kid.

Lurker64
08-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I would think Lang is pretty much a lock to make the roster, since he backs up four positions (maybe five? I don't know if he can snap) if he doesn't start. If there was someone threatening to contend for the top three at offensive guard other than Lang, we would have heard about him by now.

The only scenario in which a healthy Lang loses his roster spot is if both McDonald and EDS outplay him in the preseason, and neither of those guys have done really anything to impress so far. But both of those guys are better OCs than OGs so we almost certainly keep only one, and we do need backup guards.

Ray Dominguez and Caleb Schlauderaff are no threat to T.J. Lang, and we're thin at guard (for a TC roster) as it is.

pbmax
08-09-2011, 10:48 PM
Maybe it is. Recall Lang is coming off injury and played poorly last season. Although he is no Barbre, Lang should not take anything for granted.

Lang was coming off an injury in training camp last season. He is currently coming off a subpar season.

vince
08-09-2011, 11:35 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/127434708.html

JSO Training Camp Report

--- For one night, it was the Matt Flynn Show at Ray Nitschke Field. With Aaron Rodgers joining a group of select veterans who got the night off, Flynn took the reins.

The night was far from perfect again for Green Bay’s offense. But despite a leaky pocket and occasional drops, Flynn fared well. Excluding one goal-line segment, he was an unofficial 10 of 19. Both Flynn and Graham Harrell saw the field plenty Tuesday night.

“I told the quarterbacks beforehand, ‘You have the keys,’” coach Mike McCarthy said. “Take it for a ride. Let’s go. I thought both of those guys did very well.”

Among Flynn’s best throws was one tight-window deep out to Jordy Nelson with Sam Shields in close coverage. He did throw one drive-killing interception to Morgan Burnett in a two-minute drill. Flynn hit Chastin West on a pair of completions, including one difficult fade route. A pair of Flynn's passes, including the Burnett pick, sailed just a bit high to Randall Cobb. Overall, he displayed the improved command coaches hoped for.

Harrell wasn’t bad, either, hooking up with undrafted rookie receiver Tori Gurley for a 50-yarder. A year ago, Harrell rarely made protection calls at the line. This year, quarterbacks Tom Clements said he's doing that much more often. The former Texas Tech star is feeling more comfortable under center.

"I thought they both did well," Clements said. "They both did very well. A lot of the younger guys who got more reps tonight, this was their opportunity to gain more experience. There was a lot of enthusiasm."

--- Veterans entering their seventh season or later got the night off -- Donald Driver, Chad Clifton, Scott Wells, Aaron Rodgers, Ryan Pickett, Howard Green, Charles Woodson and Nick Collins. Giving these guys a breather allowed for several backups to get more reps Tuesday -- crucial considering training camp is already shortened.

With installations picking up, McCarthy wanted to challenge younger players.

"I wanted to make sure those young guys are given an opportunity for a difficult practice," McCarthy said. "There was a lot of quality work out there tonight."

--- In detailing his offensive line, McCarthy reiterated that the competition at left guard is between Derek Sherrod and T.J. Lang. Meanwhile, Nick McDonald "has a chance" he said, but the coach feels he'll play him "more exclusively" at center. Tackle Marshall Newhouse was also back practicing after leaving Monday's session with a shoulder injury.

--- The competition at tight end continues behind Jermichael Finley. On a traditionally TE-friendly team, McCarthty says this is the best group he's had. Rookies D.J. Williams and Ryan Taylor join Andrew Quarless, Tom Crabtree and Spencer Havner in a battle for possibly three spots.

"It's the body type you can't have enough of," McCarthy said. "We have six tight ends in camp who all have unique qualities. They all can play in all three positions...Extended, on the line, in the backfield and also in movement. It's the best tight end group we've had here talent-wise and it's the most diverse group."

vince
08-09-2011, 11:35 PM
In his post-practice press conference, McCarthy called the battle at left guard "wide open" between Sherrod and Lang.

Guiness
08-09-2011, 11:52 PM
uh-oh. Did he say he liked all 6 tight ends?

I just about had a cardiac when he kept 4 last year...

red
08-10-2011, 12:01 AM
i was there tonight

chastin west is very interesting. he has pretty much no chance of making the team. however he got a lot of reps tonight, and had t-will covering him every time. almost every time he lined up the ball ended up coming his way, and he made a lot of nice catches. ran nice clean routes and showed some nice hands and concentration.

oh, and randall cobb. that guy is on a whole other level. very quick in and out of his cuts, and just looked like he was playing at a different speed then everyone else, even jennings

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2011, 06:04 AM
oh, and randall cobb. that guy is on a whole other level. very quick in and out of his cuts, and just looked like he was playing at a different speed then everyone else, even jennings

I wonder if he might leap frog to #2 reciever before the year is out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2011, 06:10 AM
In his post-practice press conference, McCarthy called the battle at left guard "wide open" between Sherrod and Lang.

The fix is in for Sherrod unless he totally blows up. The team benefits long term from Sherrod getting experience, so a finger is on the scale in this contest. Life is not fair.

rbaloha1
08-10-2011, 10:29 AM
I would think Lang is pretty much a lock to make the roster, since he backs up four positions (maybe five? I don't know if he can snap) if he doesn't start. If there was someone threatening to contend for the top three at offensive guard other than Lang, we would have heard about him by now.

The only scenario in which a healthy Lang loses his roster spot is if both McDonald and EDS outplay him in the preseason, and neither of those guys have done really anything to impress so far. But both of those guys are better OCs than OGs so we almost certainly keep only one, and we do need backup guards.

Ray Dominguez and Caleb Schlauderaff are no threat to T.J. Lang, and we're thin at guard (for a TC roster) as it is.

I would not discount Ray or Caleb without the benefit of watching pre season games. In fact TT put in a request for an Ohio State guard that was awarded to Carolina.

The lockout actually benefits since the competition has less teaching instruction and reps. Lang may win by default.

rbaloha1
08-10-2011, 10:32 AM
I wonder if he might leap frog to #2 reciever before the year is out.

A smaller shiftier slot receiver is something the Packers have sought. (Shame on folks who thought Swain was "poor man's Wes Welker.)

Cobb could play a big role this season.

red
08-10-2011, 10:45 AM
one other thing that i noticed yesterday, and loved, was that finley was often lined up out wide on the sideline. the d would counter this by single covering him with a safety, thus moving him right out of the box where you would like to have him.

when this happened, finley would just take off at full speed, deep, along the sideline

i'll take that mismatch every day. gonna be a fun year watching him destroy teams every week

Upnorth
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
I read on sportsline that "Harrell's accuracy continues to awe". Is this true? If so, does this allow us to trade Flynn next year? I would love to see Rodgers have a series of backups we can trade for gain like in the past.

If Finley is taking the saftey outside with him that would help out the run game a bit, and since I don't think Sherrod will be a road grader LG, every bit helps.

Patler
08-10-2011, 11:02 AM
I read on sportsline that "Harrell's accuracy continues to awe". Is this true? If so, does this allow us to trade Flynn next year? I would love to see Rodgers have a series of backups we can trade for gain like in the past.

There is no "next year" for trading Flynn, his contract is up this year and he will become a free agent. The Packers could take the extraordinary step of franchising him, but I believe that is extremely unlikely.

red
08-10-2011, 11:05 AM

If Finley is taking the saftey outside with him that would help out the run game a bit, and since I don't think Sherrod will be a road grader LG, every bit helps.

i was in the end where flynn and harrell were throwing balls into the nets from like 20 or 30 yards away. from what i saw, flynn is waaaaaaay more accurate the harrell

oh, and FYI. Cobb also has a cannon for an arm and throws a nice tight spiral. just something to keep in mind

one other thing i'd like to mention is, after last night, my respect for james jones shot up through the roof. the amount of shit that guy takes from the fans, to his face, is really pathetic. he came out and got on a kids bike with a big smile on his face and some asshole makes a crack about him needing to hang onto the ball, or not to drop the bike. then every time he caught a ball, a few dozen people would give him sarcastic cheers. one guy next to me even made sure everyone could hear him when he would yell out, "holy shit, he held on to one". then after the next nice catch, "holy shit, he held on to another. if it wasn't for the guy having 4 little kids with him, i would have thumped his ginger ass right on the spot. to jones credit, he kept a smile on his face the whole time, and did look really good.

i've bashed jones on here, but my god, in person lets try to give him some support, not kick him in the nuts. dudes got talent, he just has some mental lapses. and ragging on him all the time isn't going to help fix that IMO

Smidgeon
08-10-2011, 11:54 AM
i was there tonight

chastin west is very interesting. he has pretty much no chance of making the team. however he got a lot of reps tonight, and had t-will covering him every time. almost every time he lined up the ball ended up coming his way, and he made a lot of nice catches. ran nice clean routes and showed some nice hands and concentration.

Everytime I hear about someone sticking out in training camp (in a good way), I think back to Christl's first impression about James Lofton. He said something along the lines of "Lofton was just a stallion on the field and everyone else looked pedestrian." So whenever someone flashes, I wonder if we're seeing the beginning of the same thing. Probably not since Lofton was a special talent, but maybe.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2011, 12:03 PM
A smaller shiftier slot receiver is something the Packers have sought. (Shame on folks who thought Swain was "poor man's Wes Welker.)

Cobb could play a big role this season.

Who said Swain would be a poor man's Wes Welker? And why should anybody be ashamed of having an opinion regarding their favorite football team?

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2011, 12:05 PM
i was in the end where flynn and harrell were throwing balls into the nets from like 20 or 30 yards away. from what i saw, flynn is waaaaaaay more accurate the harrell

oh, and FYI. Cobb also has a cannon for an arm and throws a nice tight spiral. just something to keep in mind

one other thing i'd like to mention is, after last night, my respect for james jones shot up through the roof. the amount of shit that guy takes from the fans, to his face, is really pathetic. he came out and got on a kids bike with a big smile on his face and some asshole makes a crack about him needing to hang onto the ball, or not to drop the bike. then every time he caught a ball, a few dozen people would give him sarcastic cheers. one guy next to me even made sure everyone could hear him when he would yell out, "holy shit, he held on to one". then after the next nice catch, "holy shit, he held on to another. if it wasn't for the guy having 4 little kids with him, i would have thumped his ginger ass right on the spot. to jones credit, he kept a smile on his face the whole time, and did look really good.

i've bashed jones on here, but my god, in person lets try to give him some support, not kick him in the nuts. dudes got talent, he just has some mental lapses. and ragging on him all the time isn't going to help fix that IMO

I absolutely hated those types of people when I'd go watch minicamp. They should be kicked in the nuts.

Smidgeon
08-10-2011, 01:34 PM
I keep reading that Burnett is snagging interception after interception in training. Good news. Makes me happy. Nobody will be able to throw on Woodson, Williams, Shields, Collins, and Burnett...

Freak Out
08-10-2011, 01:44 PM

Man...is Wisconsin filling with assholes or have they always been there?

I was at a Alaska League baseball game the other night and some bitch in the crowd just started going off on the plate ump....I mean dropping f-bombs and the lot. I couldn't believe it.....it's an Alaska league summer game with a bunch of college kids up honing their skills....not the bigs....and the place is crawling with kids to boot...they get in for free. Generally a really nice atmosphere.

It was nice to see her fat ass thrown thrown out.

Joemailman
08-10-2011, 05:09 PM

3 years ago, he was probably one of those wearing a Favre jersey and cheering every time Rodgers threw an incompletion.

Brandon494
08-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Did you notice?

• T.J. Lang spent most of the practice with the starters at left guard. Lang won both of his one-on-one pass blocking reps, stopping B.J. Raji and Mike Neal. It was the first time Lang has worked ahead of rookie first-round pick Derek Sherrod.

vince
08-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Randall Cobb has a nice arm. In tonight's practice he took a reverse and threw a left-handed bullet running left on the money to Chastin West on a deep out for a nice 20 yard gain. It was sweet.

rbaloha1
08-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Did you notice?

Good intelligence. This shows Lang is in position to start/make the roster barring injury.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 12:05 AM
All Packer fans should hope that Lang does not start, the roster is stronger with versatile Lang as primary backup.
If Sherrod can't cut it at guard, he's likely worthless to the team in 2011. They already have Newhouse to backup the tackles.

Since the Packers are America's team, hoping for Sherrod to fail is unAmerican.

vince
08-11-2011, 05:53 AM
The Cowboys can have America. It sucks lately anyway. The Packers are God's team, which makes it a sacrilege sure to send offenders to the depths of hell.

Brandon494
08-11-2011, 07:03 AM
All Packer fans should hope that Lang does not start, the roster is stronger with versatile Lang as primary backup.
If Sherrod can't cut it at guard, he's likely worthless to the team in 2011. They already have Newhouse to backup the tackles.

Since the Packers are America's team, hoping for Sherrod to fail is unAmerican.

No one is hoping for the guy to fail but needs to earn the starting job and not have it just given to him since he was a 1st rounder. To say this team is better suited with Lang on the bench makes no sense at all. You want a rookie tackle starting at LG when he hasn't played guard since middle school over Lang who has experience and is having a strong camp? No thanks! Lang FTW!

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 08:53 AM
needs to earn the starting job and not have it just given to him since he was a 1st rounder. He isn't going to be handed the job, you know the Packers aren't that dumb. But it is not going to be a totally fair competition either, Sherrod's greater potential and status gives him a leg up.

To say this team is better suited with Lang on the bench makes no sense at all Oh, I think you understand that Lang is a more useful backup than a player who has demonstrated he can't play guard.

You want a rookie tackle starting at LG when he hasn't played guard since middle school over Lang who has experience and is having a strong camp? I expect Sherrod has more athletic ability than Lang. If after a couple weeks of practice, he is nearly as good as Lang, he is a better medium and long term investment for the team. IF Lang is significantly better, then of course he has to start. Its unarguably better for the team if Sherrod proves to be a capable player now with a bigger upside.

You need to place the interests of the team ahead of your man crush.

Cheesehead Craig
08-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Lack of a regular offseason is hurting Sherrod. I think this is going to be a rough season for him learning on the fly.

Upnorth
08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I would love to see Sherrod starting, but in the end it has to be the best player starting. If its Lang I'm okay with that. Buluga didnot start of the hop, so this doesnt dam Sherrod.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 09:00 AM
I think the LG position is going to be a weakness regardless of who starts. But hopefully they will be ok by playoff time.

Brandon494
08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Man crush? Haha I'm pretty sure I haven't started any fan clubs for Lang :). I just know what I'm talking about when it comes to evaluating talent.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
"evaluating talent" - that sounds pretty man crushy to me.

nobody is evaluating talent, we just react to some tweets by bored guys watching practice. What do we really know about Lang? He wasn't very good when he got in games. (ya, ya, he had an owwy on his wrist.) We know almost nothing about Sherrod until he plays some preseason games. We'll have something real to talk about (other than man crushes, and gripes about the unfairness of draft status) in coming weeks.

mraynrand
08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
MY guess is that Sherrod will see pt at LT before the season is over. Hope he is up for it, because even the great gazoo helmet http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zTwkDmyMfOY/TKjYjAmcTLI/AAAAAAAAB6s/TRkHgKJMgXM/s400/Great+Gazoo.jpgwon't save Rodgers if his blindside is a turnstile

Yoop
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM
"evaluating talent" - that sounds pretty man crushy to me.

nobody is evaluating talent, we just react to some tweets by bored guys watching practice. What do we really know about Lang? He wasn't very good when he got in games. (ya, ya, he had an owwy on his wrist.) We know almost nothing about Sherrod until he plays some preseason games. We'll have something real to talk about (other than man crushes, and gripes about the unfairness of draft status) in coming weeks.

all we have to go on right now is what we see and hear about from practice, going by that, we see a st round pick struggling to play G, and another that had a wrist injury keep him out of competing for the job last year, till we see either in game situations it's hard to comment more about which has the upper hand in this position battle, while some assume a 1st round pick would have a brighter future than a 3rd rounder ( I think Lang was a 3rd) it doesn't always hold true, and while ya want your 1st round pick playing as soon as possible, he still has to be the best man for the job.

3irty1
08-11-2011, 12:06 PM
HH is right. Best possible case for the packers is that we have 10 probowl quality lineman and all things being equal, the most versatile ones make better backups. He didn't say it was likely just that it was the best case scenario. However I have a hard time imagining Sherrod beating Lang even in an unfair fight at LG. It would take one hell of a rookie to do so. Lang has been a starting caliber lineman since his rookie year IMO and is finally competing for what is his best position, guard. The fact that Sherrod can even compete with Lang who is stronger, quicker, and has a body type more conducive to playing guard makes me reason to hope he'll be a monster at tackle one day.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Agreed. If they want to do that they should move to NYC or Boston.

mraynrand
08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Agreed. If they want to do that they should move to NYC or Boston.

I used to see stuff like that at training camp, and I'd ask the loudmouth: "As a Bears fan, why'd you waste all your money to come up here and watch the Packers?"

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
all things being equal, the most versatile ones make better backups. He didn't say it was likely just that it was the best case scenario. However I have a hard time imagining Sherrod beating Lang even in an unfair fight at LG.

Hey, somebody gets my point! I tend to agree that Sherrod looks out of place at guard, and if I had to bet the meth lab, I'd say he won't be the starter on opening day.

Joemailman
08-11-2011, 08:40 PM
8:31

TomSilverstein: Bush is having a career practice. Breaking up passes right and left. [via Twitter]
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

He also has an INT earlier. Tramon and Woodson not practicing with 1's tonight, which means they may not play Saturday. Will see a lot of Shields, Lee and Bush. Who else, with House out?

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
8:31

TomSilverstein: Bush is having a career practice. Breaking up passes right and left. [via Twitter]
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

He also has an INT earlier. Tramon and Woodson not practicing with 1's tonight, which means they may not play Saturday. Will see a lot of Shields, Lee and Bush. Who else, with House out?

Gordy?

Bush will keep trying until Skin shows him some love. Or at least photoshops love onto someone's genitals.

vince
08-11-2011, 10:12 PM
So I was at practice tonight and Wayne Larrivee comes walking up wanting to watch practice right next to me. He said the view from the top row of the stands is much better than over on the other side where the press stands behind the players. Had some good conversation with ol’ Wayne.

He thinks Lang will win the LG job. Sherrod just isn’t built to play LG.
Talking about which of the tight ends will survive and which won’t, he said Crabtree has had a tough camp catching the ball.
Gurly told Wayne that he hasn’t dropped a ball in practice or a game since his sophomore year in college. Wayne said “I don’t know if that’s true, but I haven’t seen him drop one yet this year.”
He’s cutting down on his Big Ten Network schedule this year because it’s just too much prep work.
He’ll be at the White House tomorrow with the team.
I mentioned Shields’ inconsistency this camp and he said, “Don’t read too much into that. You don’t see Woodson doing much in these practices. They try new things a lot. It’s kind of like being out on the driving range for a lot of the vets.”
He likes how Harrell is developing.
He’s not sure what he’s going to say to follow up his now famous, “The title is back in town!” phrase if the Packers repeat.
He had high praise for Bulaga and his development this year.
In talking about the undrafted free agent crop, he said that the Packers had a hell of a hard time getting guys to come into their camp this year because there’s so much depth throughout the roster. I mentioned that the Packers do as well as anyone in giving these guys a legit shot and he said that this year was really tough for them because most of the guys recognized that there are fewer opportunities in camp this year across the league, and the Packers just don’t have much room for these guys to stick.
He didn't say it explicitly, but Wayne doesn't seem to be a big Finley fan. He was talking about how much Finley was talking, and then said, "And then he gets hurt again already." When I countered with how much of a difference maker he is on the field, he brought up how that makes no difference if you can't be available. He was joking about his "glute contusion." Surprised me a bit.

I also met Desmond Bishop’s family. They drove from California to help him move into his new house and are driving to Cleveland before driving back to Cali. His family was very friendly and good folks.

My own observations from this practice were:

D.J. Williams showed up again with his ability to run sharp routes and catch the ball.
Sherrod and Lang continually switched between Guard and Tackle all night. I can’t say who fared better where though.
It surprised me, but Jarrett Bush was covering guys like a blanket. He had at least one pick and a few knockdowns.
The back-up linemen are not impressing. Flynn and Harrell both were scrambling for their lives.
Tramon Williams is really good.
I thought Elmore showed up the last two nights. He had a pick last night and was disruptive on a few occasions.
D.J. Smith got beat a couple times in the passing game.
Shields had a pick at the very end of practice that was beautiful. He jumped a crossing route by Gurly, who's like 6'6" and jumped up to pick the ball just before Gurly got it. They fought a bit for it, but Shields came down with it while landing on his hip or tailbone. He stayed down and was in serious pain for a bit. He appeared to walk it off. But it was a great play by Shields against a guy 8" taller than him.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:33 PM
I also met Desmond Bishop’s family. They drove from California to help him move into his new house and are driving to Cleveland before driving back to Cali. His family was very friendly and good folks.

My own observations from this practice were:

D.J. Williams showed up again with his ability to run sharp routes and catch the ball.
Sherrod and Lang continually switched between Guard and Tackle all night. I can’t say who fared better where though.
It surprised me, but Jarrett Bush was covering guys like a blanket. He had at least one pick and a few knockdowns.
The back-up linemen are not impressing. Flynn and Harrell both were scrambling for their lives.
Tramon Williams is really good.
I thought Elmore showed up the last two nights. He had a pick last night and was disruptive on a few occasions.
D.J. Smith got beat a couple times in the passing game.
Shields had a pick at the very end of practice that was beautiful. He jumped a crossing route by Gurly, who's like 6'6" and jumped up to pick the ball just before Gurly got it. They fought a bit for it, but Shields came down with it while landing on his hip or tailbone. He stayed down and was in serious pain for a bit. He appeared to walk it off. But it was a great play by Shields against a guy 8" taller than him.

Great stuff vince. Good to hear Desmond's family is both supportive and understanding of the fanbase of lunatics. Hope they had a good time.

Guiness
08-11-2011, 10:38 PM
tx Vince

mission
08-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Yeah, good stuff, Vince. Thanks!

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Good stuff, Vince. Good to get Wayne's opinions.

wootah
08-12-2011, 04:47 AM
I love these first-hand training camp observations. Thanks guys!

RashanGary
08-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Thanks Vince!

red
08-12-2011, 08:22 AM
that is just some awesome stuff vince

smuggler
08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
Rep+1 for your content, Vince!

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 09:29 AM
I think your trite report sucked, Vince, don't bother people with this crap again

Noodle
08-12-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm just thankful that Vince was the guy from Packerrats hanging with Ol' Wayne.

We'd all be banned from Titletown for life if it had been Blue Dog (Wayne does not like having his leg humped or being asked if his Mom puts out).

Scott Campbell
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
You put a lot of work into that post Vince. Awesome job. Thank you.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 02:21 PM
I had a premium account at JSOnline a few years ago. I tried the old logon and it worked, oddly enough. I read the chat and threw it in the garbage can.

vince
08-12-2011, 05:03 PM
The pleasure was mine guys. Maybe McGinn would have like Sherrod at Guard Harlan. :wink:

Joemailman
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Some tweets from Monday practice:

MikeVandermause: Sam Shields is practicing so his injury to hip last Thursday couldnt have been serious.

MikeVandermause: Finley catches first pass from Rodgers in game situation drill. Looks good as new.

RobDemovsky: Now Lang at LT and Sherrod at LG. So the rota continues [via Twitter]

kareemcopeland: First morning practice and shields is back. Starks was dressed and took a rep, but has left the field now. [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Masthay places punt at the 1. [via Twitter]
11:47

RobDemovsky: 16 punts for Masthay, only 2 with hang times under 4.1. Another strong day following his strong game at Cleveland. [via Twitter]

RobDemovsky: Packers have released LB Diyral Briggs

kareemcopeland: Ryan Taylor just put elmore on his back on a grant run left. Flattened him.

MikeVandermause: Sherrod at LG and Lang at LT on last play. Overall Lang getting more work at LG. [

kareemcopeland: My goodness, Matthews just roasted Newhouse for a sack. [

kareemcopeland: Chastin west just ripped a rodgers pass off the helmet of pat lee. Same scenario as browns game, lee in position but can't locate the ball [via Twitter]

MikeVandermause: Bulaga stops Matthews in first live snap.

kareemcopeland: Bulaga vs Jones in one one on. Bulaga just sticks to him and holds him straight up. Whistle blows and Bulaga facemask is stuck to Jones'.

MikeVandermause: Quinn Johnson drops pass over middle. Could extra tight end beat him out for roster spot? [v

Brandon494
08-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Good Stuff.

I do believe an extra tight end will beat out Johnson. Ryan Taylor has shown he can block and played LB early in his college career, I think we'll see him lined up more in the backfield rather than at TE position.

red
08-15-2011, 05:13 PM
i'd rather have lang starting at LG. let sherrod study the one spot he's gonna take over, chances are that clifton is gonna miss some time this year anyways. get him ready, and put the best guy (lang) at LG

sounds like bulaga is gonna be a stud. lets just hope he never get injured because newhouse is gonna get a qb killed by a speed rusher

pat lee could be done. he had a rough first game. he gets good coverage, he just can't do anything to stop the ball from being caught

vince
08-15-2011, 08:43 PM
http://wearegreenbay.com/trainingcamp-fulltext?nxd_id=8987
Larry McCarren's Training Camp Report

It was turn back the clock day at Ray Nitschke Field. It was hot, it was in pads, and the coaches were doing more yelling than usual. It was the kind of practice that wears on guys and puts them in a less than cordial mood. That leads to "courtesy shots" - rough stuff that really isn't necessary but dished out nonetheless: like Clay Matthews chasing down rookie running back Brandon Saine and rather just shove him, Matthews shoved him to the ground. Bottom line, we're talking a good old fashioned training camp practice, and there's nothing wrong that.

During the preseason, it's always worth noting where guys are lining up after a game. The coaches have reviewed the film, they've discussed who did or didn't do what, and occasionally lineup changes are made. The change today was at left guard, where T.J. Lang ran with the first unit. Derek Sherrod had been in that spot since camp began and started the Cleveland game, but today it was Lang. Mike McCarthy cautioned not to read too much into the move, and Sherrod still got a lot of snaps with the starters at left tackle (filling in for Chad Clifton, whose practice reps have been very limited), but this staff doesn't do things for sport. There's a reason it's taking a look at Lang as the left guard on the first unit. As for Clifton, they're saving him for the real deal. That's how important a left tackle who has shown he can be trusted to protect the franchise's backside is. Very limited reps during training camp is good work if you can get it, and Clifton can. Not much muscle in the running game but a terrific pass protector.

The other position that's open for competition is right outside linebacker, with Zombo, Walden and Jones doing the competing. Frank Zombo started the Browns game and he also lined up with the first defense today. Erik Walden did a nice job of covering D.J. Williams during teamwork today but he was beaten badly by Benjamin Watson Saturday night for 37 yards on a play that set up a touchdown. I'm sure doing a better job of covering tight ends is on Walden's list of things to do. The mystery man in the competition is Brad Jones. I've always thought he had some snap, crackle and pop to his game but he just hasn't shown up this camp. During 1 on 1 pass rush today, Jones got stopped cold by Bryan Bulaga and that's been more the rule than the exception. Elsewhere at outside linebacker, rookie free agent Vic So'oto is making progress. He did some good things in the game as well as today's practice.

Scheme-wise, "Corner Oakie" was one of the defenses used today. Oakie refers to the 3-4, while corner brings in another cornerback (Sam Shields). A safety leaves and Charles Woodson moves back to that position. It's a set that's good against the run because it moves Woodson into a run support position. Out at corner, an offense can use a receiver to occupy him in coverage. Putting playmakers into position to make plays, that's what NFL coaching is all about.

Joemailman
08-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Matt Bowen impressed with Randall Cobb. http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Keep-an-eye-on-the-Packers-Randall-Cobb-2546.html

pbmax
08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
snip ...
Scheme-wise, "Corner Oakie" was one of the defenses used today. Oakie refers to the 3-4, while corner brings in another cornerback (Sam Shields). A safety leaves and Charles Woodson moves back to that position. It's a set that's good against the run because it moves Woodson into a run support position. Out at corner, an offense can use a receiver to occupy him in coverage. Putting playmakers into position to make plays, that's what NFL coaching is all about.

This is good stuff. Nice to put a name to this alignment, as I think we have seen it before.

Does he post regularly at this website? Because this is like his best stuff during the game.

Guiness
08-15-2011, 10:57 PM
http://wearegreenbay.com/trainingcamp-fulltext?nxd_id=8987
[snip...]

Have to shake your head at that...it's good against the run because you bring in a CB to replace a safety??? lol - says a lot about Woodson, doesn't it?

Smidgeon
08-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Have to shake your head at that...it's good against the run because you bring in a CB to replace a safety??? lol - says a lot about Woodson, doesn't it?

It's also why Woodson has a great shot at the Hall. He has a signature style of play that means he can and does do things no one else can or does. Pretty cool to be a Packers fan right now.

VegasPackFan
08-16-2011, 12:03 AM
I guess we would ave to assume that Wood's shoulder is OK then. They wouldn't be scheming like that if it was still a concern.

Fritz
08-16-2011, 09:05 AM
I'm wondering how the training camp injuries are stacking up against other teams'. Seems like the list is long. I'd like to see Davon House get back and Alex Green as well.

mraynrand
08-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Doesn't it look like the plan with Sherrod and Lang is to identify the best guard and best tackle? You have to believe that Clifton won't play every game. he might make the whole season, but miss some time. So when that happens you have to put your best backup LT out there. That might be Lang. If so, then you have to have Sherrod ready to play guard. Thus all the shifting of those two to play a lot at both spots. They have to have someone to step in for Clifton - and that person will likely be the same person who starts at LG. The benchwarmer will then likely come in for the LG. Right now you have to believe Lang is the guy unless Sherrod progresses and plays lights out at at least one position. But you have to think the coaches - right now - are terrified at the prospect of putting Sherrod in at LT when Clifton goes out.

Harlan Huckleby
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
But you have to think the coaches - right now - are terrified at the prospect of putting Sherrod in at LT when Clifton goes out.
I think Sherrod has looked good. No problem at LT.

mraynrand
08-16-2011, 12:33 PM
I think Sherrod has looked good. No problem at LT.

I thought he looked OK. I'm still trying to figure out why they're giving so much time to Lang out there.

Yoop
08-16-2011, 01:00 PM
I thought he looked OK. I'm still trying to figure out why they're giving so much time to Lang out there.

there hoping Newhouse can backup Bulaga at RT

there hoping Sherrod can back up Cliffy and Lang at LG and LT so they can keep Newhouse on the right side, McDonald is backing up both C and RG, another poster from another site said it best, we have 4 locks and 4 backups, one has to win the LG job and the other 3 back up all 5 spots on the game day 45, they are

Clifton------- Lang/Sherrod-- Wells------Sitton------ Bulaga
Sherrod/Lang-- Lang/Sherrod-McDonald-McDonald- Newhouse

I think those are the top 8 players and will be the game day actives.

Joemailman
08-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Chris Campbell has had knee surgery. Will be about another 2 weeks. http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2011/08/16/campbell-has-knee-surgery-out-two-more-weeks/

vince
08-17-2011, 05:56 PM
http://wearegreenbay.com/trainingcamp-fulltext?nxd_id=9337

Larry McCarren's Training Camp Report 8/17

With preseason game#2 fast approaching, there was a lot more work off "cards" during today's practice. (The scout or "look" team runs Cardinal offense or defense and knows how to line up because it's drawn on cards. A picture is worth a thousand words in the NFL.) That changes the practice dynamic. When the Packer offense is working against the look team, it's "supposed" to do well, and vice versa. That's why a couple of plays were especially impressive. On one, Matt Flynn hit D.J. Williams over the middle during a blitz drill and on the other, it was Flynn to a leaping Randall Cobb in the move-the-ball period that ended practice. Both would have been big plays and both came during the defense's drill, when the defense is supposed to win. Flynn admitted afterwards that there's an extra charge in beating the #1 defense and why not. It's a competitive business.

Meanwhile, back in the trenches, there was some serious contact in one on one between the tackles and the outside linebackers. It's run blocking vs. run defense, and since there's no running back for the linebacker to worry about, it's a drill the defense should win. (Many times the "movement" in a block occurs when the defender tries to disengage the blocker and make the tackle.) Regardless, both T.J Lang (he's playing tackle too) and Bryan Bulaga had fine individual reps. I asked Lang about the defensive slant to the drill and he said no big deal, it's more about attitude anyway. As in who wants to hit who. It's about as close to the old "nutcracker" as they come in today's game. Speaking of which, the game has gotten bigger, faster, stronger and SMARTER. Can you believe we used to start practice with up-downs or grass drills and do them to the brink of total exhaustion? I can't. Think about it. Let's get you totally worn out and then and only then we will work on your football skills. Doesn't make sense but we thought it was normal.

I digress, back to practice. Tramon Williams had an active day. The corner knocked down three passes and one of them should have been an interception. While we're in that neighborhood, Tori Gurley and Diondre Borel both had bad drops, of the right-in-and-out-of the-hands variety, and that's not good for young wide receivers trying to make this roster. Dimitri Nance looked good bouncing a run outside. He's probably #4 in the running back pecking order, but he's had his share of good runs this camp. His cause would be helped if he showed the same kind of burst in games that he displays in practice.

One on one pass block / rush is somewhat of a right of passage for the guys up front and a couple of the young O-linemen showed some improvement today. Nick McDonald, who's been the backup center, finally looked strong and had a couple of solid reps. 6th Round draft choice Caleb Schlauderaff, who's been lousy at 1 on 1, had his best block of camp and it came against a veteran in C.J. Wilson. Marshall Newhouse, who hasn't looked near as good at right tackle as he has at left, looked good today. Evan Dietrich-Smith also stopped B.J. Raji c old during today's session.

Injury wise, Mike Neal dodged a bullet and there's no structural damage to his knee. The team says he's day-to-day.

And finally, a note to potential railbirds. Tomorrow's practice is scheduled for 11 AM, no pads.