PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton signs

Guiness
07-30-2011, 12:27 AM
Cam Newton has signed with Carolina.

Initial reports are that the contract is quite a lot less than Bradford - $22 million over 4 years, all guaranteed vs $78 million for 6 years that Bradford got. I think his guarantee was about $50?

One of the announcements
http://eye-on-football.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/30970626

Partial
07-30-2011, 12:44 AM
Sounds like this is a very good thing for the league in general. A mistake at the draft will simply put the team right back at the top of the draft, instead of doing that AND crippling their cap situation for years to come.

Tony Oday
07-30-2011, 07:52 AM
$22 million they would have received more use out of that money starting a fire than giving it to that bust.

Brandon494
07-30-2011, 08:10 AM
That's how it should be, paying a rookie more than Peyton Manning before he even takes a snap was ridiculous.

Tony Oday
07-30-2011, 08:17 AM
That's how it should be, paying a rookie more than Peyton Manning before he even takes a snap was ridiculous.

Agreed. And now Kluwe can get a raise...damn TT trade for him!

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2011, 09:10 AM
Sounds like this is a very good thing for the league in general. A mistake at the draft will simply put the team right back at the top of the draft, instead of doing that AND crippling their cap situation for years to come.

That's true, but this change also encourages more parity, which I wonder hasn't become too much of a good thing.

The crappy teams at the top of the draft order now get to add premium players at bargain prices. I thought a rookie cap should have been enforced throughout the entire first round, at least.

Patler
07-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Most of the crappy front offices find many ways to screw up in addition to drafting poorly. I don't think the rookie salary thing will solve their problems.

pbmax
07-30-2011, 09:32 AM
The deal is completely guaranteed according to PFT's writeup and it will begin to creep down the first round in the coming years. And if true (guaranteed for injury and skill), soon everyone will be complaining about the effects of the guaranteed contract.

Patler is right, teams will still be able to screw this up royally.

Remember, with the exception of the very high picks (first four and maybe a QB through pick 7), the guaranteed money isn't the most common reason for teams to behave irrationally. It was the tendency to have onto picks long after they had proved they didn't belong. Mainly because it looked by from a PR move and with the bulk of the money already spent, the player was a relatively cheap backup.

Now, that player will be on the roster for four years, guaranteed.

Kiwon
07-30-2011, 11:27 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Who is more happy about Cam's signing - Cam or his dad?

pbmax
07-30-2011, 12:00 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Who is more happy about Cam's signing - Cam or his dad?

Auburn, now they can get their loan back.