PDA

View Full Version : Cullen Jenkins gone

bobblehead
07-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Reports are the the signed 5 years for $25 million with the eagles....do they not have a salary cap?

I was hoping if this was the kind of deal he wanted we might give it to him, but I guess not. I also don't know how it was structured. He may get most of it guaranteed in which case it would have been dangerous with his injuries of late.

Lurker64
07-30-2011, 06:18 PM
I don't think we ever event talked to Jenkins' agent after his contract expired. I think the story was that Jenkins offered a "home town discount" and we didn't return his calls.

Considering that the market was as soft for him as it was, and that the Packers (who should know him better than anybody) made literally no effort to resign him, I would guess that NFL personnel people value Jenkins significantly less than fans do. I think "he gets sacks" sort of distorts the fan perspective when it comes to defensive line play.

vince
07-30-2011, 06:42 PM
It sounds like Jenkins may have overplayed his hand. He was holding out for more money from the Redskins, who signed someone else for about what Jenkins ended up signing with the Eagles for.

Scott Campbell
07-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Reports are the the signed 5 years for $25 million with the eagles....do they not have a salary cap?

I was hoping if this was the kind of deal he wanted we might give it to him, but I guess not. I also don't know how it was structured. He may get most of it guaranteed in which case it would have been dangerous with his injuries of late.

If they cut him after year one I heard they're only out $4M.

bobblehead
07-30-2011, 08:06 PM
I don't think we ever event talked to Jenkins' agent after his contract expired. I think the story was that Jenkins offered a "home town discount" and we didn't return his calls.

Considering that the market was as soft for him as it was, and that the Packers (who should know him better than anybody) made literally no effort to resign him, I would guess that NFL personnel people value Jenkins significantly less than fans do. I think "he gets sacks" sort of distorts the fan perspective when it comes to defensive line play.

We don't know what his agents idea of the home team discount was though. That was before he actually tested the market. It seemed to me that 5 million a year would have been the home team discount.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2011, 08:16 PM
Takes a lot of energy to play defensive line, its a young man's position.

The more I think about it, letting Jenkins & Barnett go probably makes sense, even though I am unthrilled at the depth at both of their positions.

Guiness
07-30-2011, 10:37 PM
Given what we know, if this is what he got, there's no reason the Pack didn't sign him. It was certainly a reasonable price.

Which tells me that there's something we don't know. I would not be surprised to see him struggle this year, there has to be something that made the Pack stay away from him, because IMO he was a very good 3-4 DE.

The other starter position is now totally up in the air. Neale should have the inside track, but it's not like he's got a season under his belt, and he didn't have the benefit of an NFL run offseason conditioning program. He's basically at the same level as all the other rookies coming in.

Brandon494
07-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Takes a lot of energy to play defensive line, its a young man's position.

The more I think about it, letting Jenkins & Barnett go probably makes sense, even though I am unthrilled at the depth at both of their positions.

It definitely makes sense, with TT its business not personal. You don't spend money on aging injury prone players.

smuggler
07-30-2011, 11:41 PM
Are you saying the Eagles got Jenkins for only $4mil guaranteed? At that price, I think we should have resigned him.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Are you saying the Eagles got Jenkins for only $4mil guaranteed? At that price, I think we should have resigned him.

UPDATE: Michael Lombardi of NFL Network reports that Jenkins’ contract could essentially turn into a one-year, $4 million deal if the Eagles decide to let him go after the 2011 season.

Partial
07-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Cullen has certainly alluded the Packers didn't want him back and didn't offer him anything on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/#!/CullenJenkins

Quotes are Cullen's, not mine.

“@DaveyPinstripes: @CullenJenkins Did Pack give you a chance to come back?” no

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 01:57 AM
I'm pretty sure Thompson decided he wasn't going to resign Jenkins before the playoffs last season. I mean, we didn't even start Jenkins in the playoffs.

And really, who would know more about Cullen Jenkins and what he's worth than the front office people and coaches of the Green Bay Packers? It's not as though he's played anywhere else in his career. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think Jenkins is pretty much going to be a situational inside rusher for the Eagles he won't start at DE (not with Cole, Babin, and Brandon Graham on the roster) and he shouldn't start at DT (he couldn't hold up against the run at the 3-technique when he was younger, healthier, and we ran a 4-3, I don't see this improving with age.)

The fact that the market for Jenkins was much more soft than it was predicted to be (ESPN and NFLN were convinced he would get $7-$8m/year and would sign on the first day of free agency) suggests that the fans and the media are likely valuing Jenkins much more than NFL personnel people do.

Guiness
07-31-2011, 02:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Thompson decided he wasn't going to resign Jenkins before the playoffs last season. I mean, we didn't even start Jenkins in the playoffs.

[snip]

+1
That's what I was trying to say, you just did a better job.

Did he really not start in the playoffs? Who did? Or do you mean we trotted out a 2-4-5 nickel on first down?

imscott72
07-31-2011, 07:25 AM
+1
That's what I was trying to say, you just did a better job.

Did he really not start in the playoffs? Who did? Or do you mean we trotted out a 2-4-5 nickel on first down?

They used nickel a lot, but wasn't Jenkins banged up? I can't believe they wouldn't have played a healthy Jenkins. I don't remember..

Patler
07-31-2011, 07:46 AM

Pickett - Raji - Green became their D-line in base defense toward the end of the season, and that's what they used in the playoffs except against Philadelphia. Green was inactive for the Wildcard game. They used a lot of 2-4-5 against the Eagles because of Vick's running threat, and that's how they started the game.

I had a feeling that Jenkins might not be as coveted as we thought because of his injury history, but I am really surprised at the low contract he accepted. Thompson must feel he is pretty much done, for some reason. TT apparently had no more interest in Jenkins than he had in Colledge.

Fritz
07-31-2011, 10:25 AM
And now watch the pundits all jump on the Iggles' bandwagon and crown them Super Bowl champions.

Partial
07-31-2011, 11:02 AM
I've been saying for years that Jenkins is a risk with his injury history. Knowing his deal is essential 1 yr at 4 mil as Adam Shefter reporter, I would have done that any day of the week and twice on Sundays. This team is in super bowl mode. Why not bring back a key contributor??? Hell, a PUNTER signed for about that much annually with Tampa!!!

pbmax
07-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Because if Thompson and McCarthy did business this way, you wouldn't know that Nelson was ready to be a starter. Nor would you know that Bishop or Raji were ready to be starters. Same with Burnett and Peprah or Shields and even Bulaga to a lesser extent. If Jenkins came back, you would know less about Neal, Wilson, Wynn and the draft picks/UDFAs.

Old backups sound good, but it doesn't pave a promising future.

Teamcheez1
07-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Per JSOnline:

Jenkins last three years:

2008 - Missed 12 games with a torn pecoral muscle
2009 - Played 16 games, but had rib, ankle hamstring,and thigh injuries that limited his quickness and he had 4 1/2 sacks
2010 - Missed 5 games with cakf injury and played half the season with a club on his broken left hand.

He is on the other side of 30 now, and I doubt getting any healthier. Nobody seemed all that interested. I would be surpeised if he played in more then 8-10 games this season.

Iron Mike
07-31-2011, 01:46 PM
I would be surpeised if he played in more then 8-10 games this season.

Ole Cleedius wants to know if you have any of that surpeis to share....

http://cletidushunt.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mrhunt.jpg

No, wait......he knows where to get it:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_WtdXDEP9fck/Syhzskip-1I/AAAAAAAAAxk/3jDkE7E1wGE/s320/Johnny+Jolly.jpg

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Per JSOnline:

Jenkins last three years:

2008 - Missed 12 games with a torn pecoral muscle
2009 - Played 16 games, but had rib, ankle hamstring,and thigh injuries that limited his quickness and he had 4 1/2 sacks
2010 - Missed 5 games with cakf injury and played half the season with a club on his broken left hand.

He is on the other side of 30 now, and I doubt getting any healthier. Nobody seemed all that interested. I would be surpeised if he played in more then 8-10 games this season.

They're talking about using him mostly on 3rd down.

rbaloha1
07-31-2011, 07:10 PM
This is one area youth, depth and talent exists. ILB is another story.

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 09:40 AM
I think it was a good move for both the Eagles and Jenkins. The Eagles have a defensive philosophy of rotating defensive lineup more often than most and the depth to support it. They also did not take on much risk with the contract.

Jenkins can shine in a rotation and potentially increase his value still this coming offseason if he stays healthy by playing less downs. He also is going to a team that has a great chance of winning it all and 2 SB rings in 2 years would not hurt his resume either.

Teamcheez1
08-03-2011, 04:56 PM
Interesting comment from TT's press conference today:

"We didn’t make a decision not to bring Cullen Jenkins back. They made a decision (to sign with Eagles) and we wish him well."

Did Jenkins feel snubbed because we didn't offer him a blockbuster salary, and left for the Eagles to save face?

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2011, 10:41 AM
Per GBPG, Jenkins deal ended up being $30.375M for 5 years. Just over $6M/yr--although the first year is under $4M.

Pugger
08-05-2011, 10:49 AM
And now watch the pundits all jump on the Iggles' bandwagon and crown them Super Bowl champions.

Yup. They have been crowned the offseason winners. It will interesting to see if this all-star team can actually produce on the field.

Fritz
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't think Andy Reid is happy that Vick is calling this a "dream team."

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't think Andy Reid is happy that Vick is calling this a "dream team."

I think that was Vince Young of all people.