PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Wage Slotting and Bad Email Etiquette

pbmax
07-31-2011, 08:37 AM
From Florio and PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/sources-disclosure-of-rookie-scale-formula-by-nflpa-nearly-blew-up-settlement/

According to multiple sources, the NFL and the players agreed when crafting the rookie wage scale that the slot-by-slot formula would be kept confidential, and that agents and teams would know only the total rookie dollars allocated by team. This approach would make the process similar to past years, when the CBA utilized a rookie salary cap, which provided teams with limited money for all rookies but no restrictions on how it would be divvied up.

Despite a new name and far fewer dollars to go around, the same concept applies. Teams get a total amount that can be paid to all rookies, and the teams can decide which draft pick will get how much of the money.

Previously, the pick-by-pick formula used to determine each team’s rookie salary cap never had been disclosed to agents or teams. This year, in the first season of the new rookie wage scale, it was.

As best we can tell, a low-level employee at the NFLPA inadvertently sent the formula out to agents. The agents initially were confused by what they had received. When some started to rely on the formula when negotiating deals, the league became aware of what had occurred.

Oddly enough, one League source just recently had wished they went to the NBA precise slotting system to avoid ANY haggling. They are half a step closer to this now.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 08:43 AM
On the other hand, near the land of unintended consequences: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/31/despite-rookie-wage-scale-10-first-round-picks-still-arent-signed/

The bulk of the holdouts are clustered from picks 17 through 24. Only one player in that stretch, Bucs defensive end Adrian Clayborn (No. 20 overall) has agreed to terms. The fact that Clayborn overshot the allocation for his slot by roughly $75,000 possibly has contributed to the problem. Clayborn received $8,210,000; the formula pegged his slot at $8,135,000.

Clayborn not only overshot his own slot — he got more than the number that the formula provides for Amukamara at No. 19 ($8,180,000).

Another issue could be the question of the extent to which the contracts will be guaranteed. Clayborn’s deal is fully guaranteed, which squeezes Pats, Chargers, and Giants to do the same thing. Likewise, the players picked at No. 21 through No. 24 may be seeking fully guaranteed deals, and the teams may be resisting. The 25th pick, James Carpenter of the Seahawks, has a guarantee only for the first three years.

With the #20 pick already getting a fully guaranteed deal *, there will be tremendous pressure to guarantee the deals before him. Both now, which explains the holdup around picks 11-24, and next year. If it takes only a couple of years to get fully guaranteed contracts to most of the first round, then its a only a matter of time before they start to hit second contracts. Though the teams have other terms they can throw around to prevent that; like very large bonuses early in the contract.

* One note of caution about my fascination with these rookie guarantees. No one (that I have seen) has broken down one of these deals piece by piece yet and claimed that they are fully protected against both injury and loss of skill. So some of these deals may be more limited in guaranteed money than it initially appears.

vince
07-31-2011, 09:07 PM
* One note of caution about my fascination with these rookie guarantees. No one (that I have seen) has broken down one of these deals piece by piece yet and claimed that they are fully protected against both injury and loss of skill. So some of these deals may be more limited in guaranteed money than it initially appears.
PB, I emailed Andrew Brandt this and his response was brief, but he confirmed that they are fully protected against both.

yes, thx.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:22 PM
PB, I emailed Andrew Brandt this and his response was brief, but he confirmed that they are fully protected against both.

Wow. Good get vince. I really think these will be a game changer if they spread as it appears they will.