PDA

View Full Version : Nick Barnett

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 10:11 AM
The Lions signed Stephen Tulloch, $3.35 million. Barnett probably is available cheap.

TT was wise to let Barnett and Jenkins leave. But I don't know why he doesn't try to resign those guys, they play positions of team need.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 10:17 AM
The Lions signed Stephen Tulloch, $3.35 million. Barnett probably is available cheap.

TT was wise to let Barnett and Jenkins leave. But I don't know why he doesn't try to resign those guys, they play positions of team need.

Barnett said he wasn't made any offer to reduce his salary. He was told goodbye. Sounds like the same situation with Jenkins.

Age. Injuries. Ted's got a pretty good track record at determining when to cut the chord.

Fritz
07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Here's a bit from Sunday's Detroit News:

"The Lions' pursuit of free-agent linebacker Nick Barnett has heated up with reports he was flying to Detroit on Saturday and visiting the team Sunday.

The Lions have been interested in Barnett since the lockout, and those pursuits seem to have intensified since his release from the Packers.

Barnett played in only four games last year because of a wrist injury, but he's an eight-year veteran who's had six 100-tackle seasons. Barnett played middle linebacker in Green Bay, though it's unclear where he would play with Detroit if signed.

Schwartz was asked about the team's interest in Barnett and declined to comment on specific players."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110730/SPORTS0101/107300383/Lions’-highly-touted-D-line-drawing-attention-of-free-agents#ixzz1Th32aSTQ

vince
07-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Age. Injuries. Ted's got a pretty good track record at determining when to cut the chord.
I think chemistry plays a big role too. Attention seeking veterans sitting on the bench is not conducive to a team approach in the lockerroom.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 10:26 AM
I think chemistry plays a big role too. Attention seeking veterans sitting on the bench is not conducive to a team approach in the lockerroom.

I think your wrong on that. Besides wanting to be in a team photo with his teammates how was Barnett ever a attention seeking individual? Ted knows what he is doing, you don't sign aging injury prone players. Its simple as that, had nothing to do with chemistry.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 10:27 AM

I think that may well have factored into Barnett's release, but I've never heard anything like that about Jenkins. They guy almost always played through his injuries - though with diminished effectiveness.

Fritz
07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
It's interesting to see that Philly seems to see Jenkins as a situational pass rusher. Maybe that's how he's seen around the league and so he didn't get his big money.

The Lions' interest in Barnett is in keeping with their signing of Durant - a willingness to sign guys with injury histories.

SkinBasket
07-31-2011, 10:42 AM
I think your wrong on that. Besides wanting to be in a team photo with his teammates how was Barnett ever a attention seeking individual?

LOL. You're kidding right?

vince
07-31-2011, 10:53 AM
I think your wrong on that.And I'm OK with that.

Back in about '06 or '07 when there was talk of Barnett being moved outside, he was outspoken in his resistance to moving because it would hurt his stats and negotiating position for his next contract which was a year away at the time.

Barnett if fine as long as he's starting. When he's not "the man" he tries to find ways to get attention. That's just my observation and opinion.

SkinBasket
07-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Remember his "Clark Kent" lenseless glass frames?

Brando19
07-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Nick Barnett cancelled his trip to Detroit and it looks like he's sticking around in Buffalo. I guess he found a new home.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 12:42 PM
And I'm OK with that.

Back in about '06 or '07 when there was talk of Barnett being moved outside, he was outspoken in his resistance to moving because it would hurt his stats and negotiating position for his next contract which was a year away at the time.

Barnett if fine as long as he's starting. When he's not "the man" he tries to find ways to get attention. That's just my observation and opinion.

Of course hes going to be resistance if moving him outside would take money out of his pocket, Kampman felt the same way about his change to linebacker. Kampman isn't a attention seeker like you say Barnett is but Ted decided to let him walk as well. Kampman ended up playing only 8 games last season for the Jags, Ted just knows its not smart to sign aging injury prone players. IMO chemistry played a very little role in bringing back Barnett or Jenkins because both were well respected in the locker room.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 12:48 PM
Barnett if fine as long as he's starting.

Didn't Barnett throw a fit when he thought he might have to move over for Hawk?

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 12:49 PM
Did he not just answer that in the same post you just quoted?

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Did he not just answer that in the same post you just quoted?

He sure did.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Glad I could help

vince
07-31-2011, 01:57 PM
Nick Barnett has signed with the Bills.

Badgerinmaine
07-31-2011, 03:13 PM
Three year deal with Buffalo: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/AP-Source-LB-Barnett-agrees-to-sign-with-Bills-1675575.php
Adam Schefter of ESPN says it's $12 million for 3 years with half of it guaranteed. I wish him well in western New York.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
He did a lot better than I thought he would.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
Repost where this belongs:

Barnett in Buffalo. Where the DC is Dave Wannestache, he of the Miami Dolphins/Dallas Cowboys/Jim Bates 4-3. Where all the action is funneled to the MLB with the DTs keeping him clean of pesky guards and centers.

If he gets to start in the middle, should be a good match. He did his best work in this defense.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 03:49 PM
Three year deal with Buffalo: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/AP-Source-LB-Barnett-agrees-to-sign-with-Bills-1675575.php
Adam Schefter of ESPN says it's $12 million for 3 years with half of it guaranteed. I wish him well in western New York.

Sweet Jesus. Half of it guaranteed!

I don't think anybody here knows what Barnett's role was in the locker room. He was a bit wild off the field, had some 'tude that alienated the conservative, upper midwest white folk. Most of the players appreciated his sticking his neck out on the team picture issue. Maybe Barnett was an ass among the players, maybe not. All we know for sure is that he played with a lot of fire on the field.

The team needs another inside linebacker.

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:14 PM
Buffalo? I thought he would catch on with an NFL team.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 04:16 PM

You forgot :rs:

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Buffalo? I thought he would catch on with an NFL team.:lol::lol:

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:23 PM
You forgot :rs:

Ya, it's too much work finding those little buggers!

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 04:27 PM

http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

swede
07-31-2011, 05:34 PM
Sweet Jesus. Half of it guaranteed!

I don't think anybody here knows what Barnett's role was in the locker room. He was a bit wild off the field, had some 'tude that alienated the conservative, upper midwest white folk. Most of the players appreciated his sticking his neck out on the team picture issue. Maybe Barnett was an ass among the players, maybe not. All we know for sure is that he played with a lot of fire on the field.

The team needs another inside linebacker.

He played with a lot of fire OFF the field. On the field not so much.

he landed in a good situation, other than all the white folks in Buffalo.

rbaloha1
07-31-2011, 06:03 PM
IMO NB would never accept a backup role. Reminds of an aging diva.

If there is a weakness -- unproven backup ilbs.

Noodle
07-31-2011, 07:09 PM
Glad he got his money -- somewhere else. Also very glad he didn't end up in division rival Detroit. That team could be really tough, and I didn't like the thought of seeing an uber-motivated Barnett twice a year.

The Lions are still a little weak at LB, and I'd like them to stay that way. As it is, Detroit has potentially the toughest DL the Pack will face.

Deputy Nutz
07-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Nick Barnett was is an average linebacker with some speed, a low % of feel for the game. He is actually a better athlete then he is a football player. His instincts for the football never kicked in. Compare him to Desmond Bishop. Bishop is a heck of a football player once he learned and the coaches learned to trust his instincts on the field. AJ Hawk is a bit more like Barnett. Hawk has good instincts but when he fails it is because he doesn't trust those instincts and sticks exactly to the script.

swede
07-31-2011, 09:06 PM
Nick Barnett was is an average linebacker with some speed, a low % of feel for the game. He is actually a better athlete then he is a football player. His instincts for the football never kicked in. Compare him to Desmond Bishop. Bishop is a heck of a football player once he learned and the coaches learned to trust his instincts on the field. AJ Hawk is a bit more like Barnett. Hawk has good instincts but when he fails it is because he doesn't trust those instincts and sticks exactly to the script.

Good stuff, Nutz, but what I really like is your sig. I knew some nuns back at St. Thomas More who lived and dished out by that code.

" Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fuckiing beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.".

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 09:49 PM
He played with a lot of fire OFF the field. On the field not so much.

His last two seasons were funked by injury. Perhaps your memory of events before Obama have gone fuzzy .

Barnett was all over the field two years ago. I remember even his worst enemy (was that Wist or another curmudgeon?), who spent years saying Barnett can't tackle, had to make a humbling public apology.

They don't hand-out contracts with $6M guaranteed to bums.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 11:56 PM
That was before the switch to a 3-4 defense, right?

Joemailman
08-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Barnett is simply someone who is a better 4-3 player than 3-4. He's not a real physical guy. He needs those 4 linemen in front of him to absorb o-linemen so he can run free to the ball. The Packers usually employ only 2. It's just not a good fit.

Iron Mike
08-01-2011, 06:40 AM
Well, at least we're spared having to watch that retarded Samurai move for a while.....

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8V4aKM-gOfw/TBeejAriyRI/AAAAAAAAAF4/O8B_gpcfCtc/s320/nick-barnett-150x150.jpg

sheepshead
08-01-2011, 07:00 AM

I'm here all week.

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Sad to see him go, as I enjoyed watching him all of these years. However, as stated by others, I think it was the right move. He is getting older, injuries are mounting, and I also believe he is a better 4-3 backer than a 3-4.