PDA

View Full Version : Packers Sign Jones

vince
07-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Per multiple Twitter reports, Jones is back witht he Pack.

vince
07-31-2011, 01:44 PM
3-year deal. Money not yet reported.

mission
07-31-2011, 01:47 PM
I've talked my share of Jones shit but I'm really glad to hear that. We all pretty much assumed he wouldn't be around. I'm not sure how even the Eagles could cover our guys.

Jennings, Driver, Jones, Jordy, Cobb, Finley, Williams, Starks, Green, Grant

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Brett Swain is unhappy, but I'm not.

retailguy
07-31-2011, 01:58 PM
this is probably a good thing. guy isn't bad, just isn't the star he could be. It could be much much worse. We could have Harvin, Berrian & Jenkins.... lol

Teamcheez1
07-31-2011, 01:58 PM
This will really soldify our WR depth. I think Jones will get a decent amount of playing time this year, especially with Driver's age/injuries.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 02:02 PM
For the right money, he's a good player to have. I'm assuming the lack of real interest on the FA market made this a deal for the right money. I'd offer Jordy the same deal and see if he'll sign the extension. That would give us four long-term, solid WRs (Jennings, Jordy, Jones, and probably Cobb) for ARod to work with.

Willard
07-31-2011, 02:06 PM
I like it. I hope he is mad and plays hard to punish all the teams that passed him over....bears, vikes,......

Brando19
07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
GREAT news! No way anyone can cover us! Finley will have a HUUUUGE year.

Partial
07-31-2011, 02:07 PM
For the right money, he's a good player to have. I'm assuming the lack of real interest on the FA market made this a deal for the right money. I'd offer Jordy the same deal and see if he'll sign the extension. That would give us four long-term, solid WRs (Jennings, Jordy, Jones, and probably Cobb) for ARod to work with.

Do you sign Finley? Does that occur after season or during the season?

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Another weapon for AROD! HAHAHA I LOVE IT!

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:12 PM
We're putting the band back together.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 02:13 PM

Personally, I would. We are saving cap room for a reason. We are good on the cap, the cap should go up next year, and we'll likely have some guys coming off the cap next year or the year after. Maybe see if he's fully healthy first.

wist43
07-31-2011, 02:14 PM
Really surprised, thought he was as good as gone.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 02:16 PM
I can't believe TT is letting his quarterback dictate personnel decisions. :satan:

Brando19
07-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Rodgers should lobby for Moss just to see what TT does. lol

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Its no way you don't resign Finley.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
The bigger question is whether Finley wants to be here long term. I'm not sure he does.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
The Eagles should sign another CB just to be careful.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Rodgers should lobby for Moss just to see what TT does. lol

:D

+1

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM

If you can't work out an extension for Finley this season, you franchise him and work out an extension. Franchise number for TEs is pretty reasonable.

The real problem will be resigning Sitton. He wants to stay, but it will likely cost at least $7m/year.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:22 PM
The bigger question is whether Finley wants to be here long term. I'm not sure he does.

Why is that?

red
07-31-2011, 02:23 PM
good god we're scary looking on offense right now

we might be 5 deep at wr with 5 guys that could be starters somewhere else. we have the best TE in the league, and his little rookie clone. we also will have a two headed monster at running back with grant and starks. we got rid of the weak part of our line, and it looks like a promising rookie will be taking his place. throw in the super bowl mvp just for fun

how can any team stop that?

we don't have a single weak spot in that offense, starters or backups

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:25 PM
If you can't work out an extension for Finley this season, you franchise him and work out an extension. Franchise number for TEs is pretty reasonable.

The real problem will be resigning Sitton. He wants to stay, but it will likely cost at least $7m/year.

He'll be worth it and with Clifton off the books they'll have the cap room to make it work.

retailguy
07-31-2011, 02:28 PM
The Eagles should sign another CB just to be careful.

Hilarious!

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:28 PM
I can't believe TT is letting his quarterback dictate personnel decisions. :satan:

Yes, he is. And if Rodgers starts to do it from outside the state, we can say he is Favring him.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I trust Thompson and would gave been OK with Cobb as #4, but I am not going to lie to you. This makes me feel better.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Wonder if Eagles signing Asomugha might have made TT change his mind about bringing Jones back.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:34 PM
Wonder if Eagles signing Asomugha might have made TT change his mind about bringing Jones back.

You may not be old enough to remember this Brandon, but there was a time that the entire Baseball offseason consisted of the Red Sox, Yankees and Orioles trying to top and counter each other with each off season signing. The good news is, unlike the Yankees and Red Sox, Thompson probably got a good price.

Patler
07-31-2011, 02:37 PM
When you think about:
- the depth at WR with Cobb as a #5 receiver;
- the talent and depth at TE if Finley stays on the field and Quarless or the rookies come around;
- the potential of Starks as a receiver; and
- three solid running backs as a diversion;

......it just kind of makes you giggle uncontrollably as a Packer fan!!!!!!

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
When you think about:
- the talent and depth at TE if Finley stays on the field and Quarless or the rookies come around;

You know its been a good offseason when your main concern is ball distribution.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
I'm really liking this signing. TT does a great job of re-signing talented young players. I am really interested to see how much money he got. Now hopefully we can bring back Kuhn cheap......

If Sherrod steps up, Clifton holds on for one more year, and we stay healthy look out :)

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:39 PM
“James is extremely talented and he’s a guy that I think we have to bring back without a doubt,” Rodgers told ESPN Milwaukee. “He should be priority No. 1. And I mean that with all my heart. He really should be priority No. 1. We don’t win the Super Bowl without him. And we need him.”

They got him.

Per Tom Silverstein of the Journal-Sentinel, Rodgers and receiver Donald Driver lobbied the front office directly to keep Jones. A four-year veteran, Jones had a career best 679 receiving yards in 2010, third on the team behind Greg Jennings and Driver. Jones also had 11 catches for 144 yards and two touchdowns in the postseason, including five for 50 yards in Super Bowl XLV.

I guess the signing of Asomugha had nothing to do with it, just his teammates wanting him back. Shows what kind of guy he must be inside the locker room.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Rodgers and Driver, amateur Sports Agents:

According to the source, QB Aaron Rodgers and WR Donald Driver went to bat for Jones with Packers management and might have had some influence in the Packers stepping up with a good offer. It's true that Jones' options were drying up after the Minnesota Vikings signed WR Michael Jenkins and the New York Jets signed Plaxico Burruss.

But Jones could have stayed out on the market and waited until some team had an injury and reaped a decent reward. Instead, he and the Packers came to terms on a deal this morning that will reunite him with his Super Bowl teammates.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126484058.html

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 02:42 PM
When you think about:

You left out the SB MVP QB and top 3 defense.

Patler
07-31-2011, 02:43 PM

I don't think so. I think the plan always was to let him see what his value was on the market. There have been hints about that from TT and MM. It is a way to be fair to a player you really do want to keep, who might be over valuing his market potential in your opinion. If he is right, he will be gone. If the team is right, he is back and knows he was treated fairly.

imscott72
07-31-2011, 02:45 PM

Finley's going to want a boatload. My gut says this isn't going to play out well. He seems like a guy that is really high on himself, and you know how TT responds to that stuff.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 02:46 PM
Mixed feelings here - over all the drops. I wonder how this impacts Driver's future here.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Mixed feelings here - over all the drops. I wonder how this impacts Driver's future here.

Driver most likely would not return after next year, whether or not Jones resigned.

Iron Mike
07-31-2011, 02:48 PM

http://www.bluesbrotherscentral.com/images/scmods/scenes/the-blues-brothers/murph-and-the-magic-tones.jpg

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Finley's going to want a boatload. My gut says this isn't going to play out well. He seems like a guy that is really high on himself, and you know how TT responds to that stuff.

First you have to see how well his knee recovered. I could definitely see us losing Finley. I can't imagine we'd draft all those TE's if that wasn't a concern.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Is it legal to use only 4 lineman and put Jennings, Finley, Jones, Nelson, Driver, and Cobb out there on a six wr set? :)

pbmax
07-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Wilde Twitter

jasonjwilde Jason Wilde
Jones swears he doesn't know the total value of his deal. "I told my agent I wanted to be back with the Packers, and he made that happen."

mission
07-31-2011, 02:59 PM
What are the contract guesses? 3 years/14mil I'll say on what's probably the low end.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Is it legal to use only 4 lineman and put Jennings, Finley, Jones, Nelson, Driver, and Cobb out there on a six wr set? :)

One would need to line up as Tackle and another would have to cover him on the LOS. But the tackleback would not be eligible. Unless the NFL still allows the A-11 offense.

imscott72
07-31-2011, 03:01 PM
What are the contract guesses? 3 years/14mil I'll say on what's probably the low end.

Too much. I'll go 3 for 11.5M..Keep in mind he's prob 4th on the depth chart most likely..

sheepshead
07-31-2011, 03:02 PM

HAAAA

Patler
07-31-2011, 03:10 PM
The thing I like most about re-signing Jones is it gives them another year to evaluate Driver's replacement. Is it Jones? Is it Nelson? Could it be Cobb? Do they have to find another one?

It's hard not to focus on Jones' drops because a few of them were so prominent. However, Nelson had exactly as many (10) in fewer targeted passes. Ignoring the drops (if you can) Jones did some pretty good things on the field, including making some difficult catches.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 03:12 PM
The thing I like most about re-signing Jones is it gives them another year to evaluate Driver's replacement. Is it Jones? Is it Nelson? Could it be Cobb? Do they have to find another one?

It's hard not to focus on Jones' drops because a few of them were so prominent. However, Nelson had exactly as many (10) in fewer targeted passes. Ignoring the drops (if you can) Jones did some pretty good things on the field, including making some difficult catches.

Agreed. I would personally take Jones over Nelson. I love the future pass catchers being Jennings, Jones, Nelson, and Cobb, and hopefully Finley. That is a deep young group. Having Driver for another year or two is a nice luxury.

mission
07-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Too much. I'll go 3 for 11.5M..Keep in mind he's prob 4th on the depth chart most likely..

I'd love that deal but our WR depth chart isn't very traditional. DD is a #2 as long as he's here but the hot hands will get the targets.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Another thing I like about the deal is that its only for three years. If he starts to feel that he wants to go else where then he probably will only have a year left on the deal by then anyways. Also, if we find out its for about 5 mil a year, we can re-evaluate his performance again after a couple years and see if he's worth the money or if we should let him go and spend that money on others. And in the mean time the strength of our offense and probably the biggest reason we won the super bowl (talent and depth at wr) stays intact for what looks like at least a couple more years.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 03:22 PM
Only downside I can see here is Special Teams. If it costs Swain a roster spot, they will need someone else to step up. It would help if Cobb earns the returner roles and Kuhn gets resigned.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Only downside I can see here is Special Teams. If it costs Swain a roster spot, they will need someone else to step up. It would help if Cobb earns the returner roles and Kuhn gets resigned.

Probably ensures Bush makes the team for another year lol.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 03:30 PM

Hasn't Nelson been more consistent overall though? Jones seems to have drops every year. I remember one year where Nelson had like 1 drop. Jones drops seem to be excessively easy, and too many would have gone for TDs. I'd like to see each guy's drops because stats can be misleading. Some of Jones drops should be counted as 2 or 3--given the ease and situation. :) Anyways. I like both guys. Different type players, but they are pretty equal--despite one segment of the fandom liking one while others like the other guy. Kind of the same with Hawk vs. Barnett before and Hawk vs. Bishop now. They are all close enough in ability that we should all be happy that they are pretty good and not be so picky. :)

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 03:35 PM
Also, targeted passes don't tell you how catchable the targeted pass is. Nelson had more snaps, receptions, and yards--while Jones had more TDs. Given the amount of playing time both guys had, you gotta feel the coaches feel the two guys are pretty similar in ability.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 03:35 PM

hopefully it means Driver gets eased out. come on, Driver was playing hurt for about 2/3 of the games last year. He is running on fumes, even though he still flashes a smile and great catch now and then.

I am thrilled that Jones is back. Didn't see any salary numbers, but I assume it was a good deal for the Packers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 03:37 PM
hopefully it means Driver gets eased out. come on, Driver was playing hurt for about 2/3 of the games last year. He is running on fumes, even though he still flashes a smile and great catch now and then.

I am thrilled that Jones is back. Didn't see any salary numbers, but I assume it was a good deal for the Packers.

Yep, love Driver, but the soon to be ->37<- year old wr is not going to last forever. Glad Jones is back.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 03:38 PM

Right on. I heard on Chmura's radio show today that Driver had more drops than Jones last year on fewer targeted passes.

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 03:39 PM
Hasn't Nelson been more consistent overall though? Jones seems to have drops every year. I remember one year where Nelson had like 1 drop. Jones drops seem to be excessively easy, and too many would have gone for TDs. I'd like to see each guy's drops because stats can be misleading. Some of Jones drops should be counted as 2 or 3--given the ease and situation. :) Anyways. I like both guys. Different type players, but they are pretty equal--despite one segment of the fandom liking one while others like the other guy. Kind of the same with Hawk vs. Barnett before and Hawk vs. Bishop now. They are all close enough in ability that we should all be happy that they are pretty good and not be so picky. :)

Still wonder if he doesn't just have a peripheral vision issue.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Still wonder if he doesn't just have a peripheral vision issue.

Didn't Javon Walker have that problem. I remember he had some type of surgery on his eye and the year before he broke out.

HarveyWallbangers
07-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Right on. I heard on Chmura's radio show today that Driver had more drops than Jones last year on fewer targeted passes.

Not according to JSO. Driver had 7 drops on 101 targets--while Jones had 10 drops on 101 targets. Again, one man's drop is another man's bad throw. A targeted pass doesn't tell you if the pass was catchable either. Jones is solid. Nelson is solid. I don't think Jones is a future #1--like JH was saying. I do think he and Nelson are great #3 WRs and probably solid #2 WRs. Having both guys is what makes us tough to defend. Now, add Finley, Cobb, maybe Williams. Yikes! Also, unlike some, I think Quarless has a solid future. He looked the part of a guy who could be pretty good when he puts it all together.

Patler
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM

Overall I think they are fairly equal in quality, although as you say they do different things. I remember a couple that Nelson dropped that were pretty easy looking too. Plus, I'm not sure that the pass that drops in from above is always as easy of a catch as it looks to us on TV. While the ball isn't thrown hard, sometimes the receiver doesn't really see it until it is right there, if the DB was in the way. I'm not making excuses for Jones, they were in his hands and he should have caught them. On the other hand, 10 drops in around a hundred passes for Jones, overall, is about the same as 10 drops in about 100 passes for Nelson. Both had too many.

On the flip side, at least Jones was able to get behind the coverage to make those excruciating blunders! :lol:

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 03:54 PM
Didn't Javon Walker have that problem. I remember he had some type of surgery on his eye and the year before he broke out.

Not JAvon Walker. I think it was the guy .... Corey something ..... that ended up in Houston. He was a one-trick-pony who could catch fly patterns.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Not JAvon Walker. I think it was the guy .... Corey something ..... that ended up in Houston. He was a one-trick-pony who could catch fly patterns.

Bradford?

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 04:01 PM
ya, I think it was Corey Bradford. I don't remember Javon Walker getting eye surgery.

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:02 PM
Jones is solid. Nelson is solid. I don't think Jones is a future #1--like JH was saying. I do think he and Nelson are great #3 WRs and probably solid #2 WRs. Having both guys is what makes us tough to defend. Now, add Finley, Cobb, maybe Williams. Yikes! Also, unlike some, I think Quarless has a solid future. He looked the part of a guy who could be pretty good when he puts it all together.

I have hope for Quarless too, and in the back of my mind I wonder if TT hasn't built himself up with TEs for the possibility that Finley will be priced out of GB.

Jones and Nelson are great where they are, as #3 and #4 receivers in either order. I think either could replace Driver, but may not be the reliable receiver that Driver was. This year should prove something for one, maybe both. I guess we will find out what TT thinks as Nelson comes up for re-signing. To be honest, Nelson's SB performance not withstanding, neither Nelson nor Jones has really made the most of their opportunities. Maybe the SB was Nelsons coming out party.

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:03 PM
ya, I think it was Corey Bradford. I don't remember Javon Walker getting eye surgery.

I don't know about Bradford, but I am virtually positive that Walker did after his rookie year when he had some bad drops.

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Found this:

December 19, 2004|Alex MarvezIt sounds like a commercial endorsement opportunity in the making.
Since undergoing Lasik eye surgery to correct nearsightedness in June 2003, the play of Green Bay wide receiver Javon Walker has greatly improved. Walker has flubbed one of the 115 passes thrown to him, which translates to a drop average of .87 percent.

Harlan Huckleby
07-31-2011, 04:05 PM
No, I remember now, it was Corey Walker that was half blind.

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:09 PM
No, I remember now, it was Corey Walker that was half blind.

...and Javon Bradford was the other half.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, that contention cuts both ways. Targets that you might deem uncatchable or bad throws don't just happen to James Jones. If anything, Jones' most memorable drops were remarkable for their apparent ease of the catch. Would this even be a conversation if he had caught the easier 3 of 5 catchable TDs he dropped?

Football Outsiders has this for the Packer WRs
Jennings: Catch Rate 61% and Fumbles 2
Driver: 61% CR, 1 Fum
Nelson: 70% CR, 1 Fum
Jones: 57% CR, 3 Fum

Fosco33
07-31-2011, 04:14 PM
I think Jones has more potential to be great than Nelson. There are so many weapons on this team that Jones will never break out without injury.

vince
07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Nelson had more drops this year than previous years. Jones obviously adds another legitimate threat to the group, which is more than you can say about Swain.

I don't like Rodgers and Driver politicking about the roster. Until they start demanding a trade or trying to manipulate their way off the roster and giving Packer opponents strategic intel because Ted doesn't listen to them I guess it's not a big deal.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 05:32 PM
I got the sense from Wilde's Twitter feed that Rodgers last said something on the radio show. Not sure about Driver's comment.

But Jones then asked agent to try to get something done with Packers exclusively. Then Rodgers went on the record again today. The numbers will bear this out, but in his version, Jones wanted back in first. So perhaps TT got his cake and ate it too. We'll see when the contract details emerge.

I would prefer this stance, selectively, than Rodgers badgering a holdout about showing up like Favre did. I think it helps his teammates more than it might hurt the Packer brass or salary cap.

mission
07-31-2011, 06:02 PM
Nelson had more drops this year than previous years. Jones obviously adds another legitimate threat to the group, which is more than you can say about Swain.

I don't like Rodgers and Driver politicking about the roster. Until they start demanding a trade or trying to manipulate their way off the roster and giving Packer opponents strategic intel because Ted doesn't listen to them I guess it's not a big deal.

There's always the possibility that Rodgers knew those guys were our FA targets and went on the record to let them know that we'd love to have them back. They both could have felt slighted they weren't offered mid-season extensions and Jones specifically might have been wondering about his role in GB.

It sounds like those guys going "public" with their support of Jones had a lot to do with Jones feeling wanted. You don't think Rodgers wanted Jenkins back? I'm sure he did but he probably knew otherwise so wouldn't put his GM in a tough position with not being able to bring him back.

I think these guys (upper mgmt) are pretty damn smart and all of that was carefully constructed to get Jones at a price that works for the Packers. No one wants to go somewhere they aren't wanted and the FA process is a lot of courting and a lot of "making me feel good". The Packers being his previous team don't have the advantage of being able to roll out the red carpet -- this was the closest thing to courtship. It's tough to imagine some of it wasn't premeditated. Hesitate to compare this exactly to Brett Favre lobbying but that's just my opinion.

rbaloha1
07-31-2011, 06:06 PM
Good resigning. Its nice TT listens to AR. Recall the organization failed to acquire and keep enough weapons for Favre.

vince
07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Good resigning. Its nice TT listens to AR. Recall the organization failed to acquire and keep enough weapons for Favre.
Good one.

GrnBay007
07-31-2011, 07:25 PM
Wheww, I don't have to beg someone to make me a new siggy! :)

Deputy Nutz
07-31-2011, 07:38 PM
It is another weapon in the arsenal.

Receiving stats for the 2011 season

Jennings 64 catches, 1,129 yards, 8 tds
Finely 56 catches, 860 yards, 10 tds
Nelson 43 catches, 650 yards, 4 tds
Jones 38 catches, 590 yards, 5 tds
Driver 45 catches, 530 yards, 3 tds
Grant 22 catches, 212 yards 2 tds
Quarles, 17 catches, 160 yards, 1 tds
Cobb 14 catches, 150 yards, 2 tds
Kuhn 12 catches, 95 yards, 2 tds
Green/Starks 15 catches 100 yards, 2 tds

Meaning, Rodgers is going to have a hell of an MVP year. Injuries are a bitch though.

Brandon494
07-31-2011, 08:16 PM
Where is DJ Williams catches?

King Friday
07-31-2011, 08:33 PM
Good signing. With the Eagles loading up on defense, I think we needed to keep Jones. It ensures we can once again survive on offense even if a couple key injuries pop up. Jones was smart to stay in Green Bay when he realized he wasn't going to get a big payday anywhere else. He's strong on the sidelines, which will play well for Green Bay as long as Finley is on the field.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 08:37 PM
Wheww, I don't have to beg someone to make me a new siggy! :)

Pretty sure it was the sig that was the clincher on the deal. :pack:

Deputy Nutz
07-31-2011, 08:48 PM
Where is DJ Williams catches?

1 for 7 yards

gbgary
07-31-2011, 09:24 PM
glad they signed him. made far more plays than be blew up.

pbmax
07-31-2011, 09:28 PM
1 for 7 yards

I think you might be a bit on the low side. Kid looks good so far.

MJZiggy
07-31-2011, 09:29 PM

The way that I recall this was more like respectfully suggesting than higher-order politicking.

Lurker64
07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
The way that I recall this was more like respectfully suggesting than higher-order politicking.

It's also entirely probable that Thompson would have signed neither Kuhn nor Jones if another team had stepped forward and offered more than Thompson figured either player was worth. I strongly suspect that the Packers got a good deal on Jones, considering how soft the market for him appeared to be (and the fact that the agent hasn't released numbers.)

In retrospect, it was a good thing that Jones dropped those touchdowns in the playoffs. If he had scored long TDs against the Eagles and Steelers, it's entirely likely we would never have been able to afford him.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 11:40 PM
It's also entirely probable that Thompson would have signed neither Kuhn nor Jones if another team had stepped forward and offered more than Thompson figured either player was worth. I strongly suspect that the Packers got a good deal on Jones, considering how soft the market for him appeared to be (and the fact that the agent hasn't released numbers.)

In retrospect, it was a good thing that Jones dropped those touchdowns in the playoffs. If he had scored long TDs against the Eagles and Steelers, it's entirely likely we would never have been able to afford him.

True dat. They cost him more than they cost us.

packerbacker1234
08-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't think Driver is going to drop off the planet this year? Last year prior to getting his season long nagging injury (which ironically happened shortly after Finley was lost for the season), Driver was the #1 WR in terms of catches, and people had wondered greatly where Jennings has dissappeared to. Do you guys all forget that? In fact, up to the time of Finley's injury, Driver was tied with Finley for the team lead in catchs (35 or whatever), while Finley had slightly more yards.

Driver clearly was getting open and making his presence felt on the field, while Jennings fell into the background with Finley here. It was pretty much the exact opposite of what we thought would happen with Finley on the field, as most thought Driver would fall off and Jennings would be fine.

To me, this showed me that a healthy Driver (and healthy is really the key issue) is still likely almost as good as he ever was. He is a great route runner and just knows how to get open, and is still deceptively fast which helps him create that seperation. Sure, Driver still has 3 or so drops a year that just baffle you, but he makes enough tough catches in traffic usually to forgive him for it. I am also a realist - I know Driver is getting up there in age, but really I think he has a couple seasons of pretty good production left barring injury.

He's not a guy like Moss who, in getting "super fit this offseason", essentially admitted in doing so that he got lazy and wasn't in the shape he needed to be last season, and maybe the season before. Assuming he is healthy, Driver has always stayed in prestine shape. He wants to play till he is 40, and barring a big injury he likely will. He may not do it as a packer, but I see him playing out that contract through age 38.

I like this signing of course, Can never have too many weapons, and we all saw having depth his huge for injuiry reasons. I just don't see a healthy driver falling behind any other WR in terms of catches. He simply still a better WR than Jones or Nelson, and who knows when those two will pass a healthy driver. I just saw too much good from Driver last year when he was healthy to write him off.

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 07:36 AM
No, you're not the only one. I'm not sure the Packers let him go anywhere even if there were some dropoff. Rodgers may be the man, but Driver is still one of the main public faces of that organization. I think if it's an issue, they just move him down on the depth chart, but to think they'll cut him by next year doesn't seem right to me.

Deputy Nutz
08-01-2011, 08:26 AM
I think you might be a bit on the low side. Kid looks good so far.

Ok, he is either going to get the catches as the reserve tight end or Quarles is. But the Packers are not going to have 3 tight ends catch double digit passes.

Deputy Nutz
08-01-2011, 08:35 AM
I am a huge Driver fan, I still think he is going to make an impact this season but it is obvious that the two main receiving threats on this team are Finnley and Jennings and everyone else, no matter how good they are, are just going to be role players or players that will get passes their way because of match ups. If Driver has a favorable matchup and he is taking advantage of it Rodger will get him the football and Driver will have a big day.

With so many weapons, this team will face single coverage on almost every receiver the offense will succeed only if the line can give protection, and if McCarthy can commit to the run even though he has 6 guys that you can throw the ball to.

3irty1
08-01-2011, 08:47 AM
This signing is big for the Packers IMO. You can never have too many WR and this makes the corps as injury proof as any ever.

Despite JJ's infuriating drops in big moments he still might have the most natural hands on the team next to Finley. If he can get his concentration honed in he can become anquan boldin for us. He's a good route runner, brilliant after the catch for his size, and has enough all around talent to take over a game. To respond to Havey, I do think he's better than Jordy. The only area I really think Jordy is better is in his sneaky long speed--he's a decent deep threat. James Jones is 6'1" and plays like he is 6'4". Jordy is 6'3" and plays more like 5'11".

I don't think this will affect whether or not we sign Jermichael Finley or not. When you are blessed enough to find Jermichael Finley in the 3rd round, you don't merely let him walk away. Finley is Ted's Sistine Chapel.

Regarding Driver, his career in GB is winding down for sure but I expect him to resume his role as slot WR extraordinaire in which he'll be good for at least one WOW moment like in the 49ers game last year. DD still has it without question IMO although I think he'll be mostly limited to that slot roll.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't think Driver is going to drop off the planet this year? Last year prior to getting his season long nagging injury (which ironically happened shortly after Finley was lost for the season), Driver was the #1 WR in terms of catches, and people had wondered greatly where Jennings has dissappeared to. Do you guys all forget that? In fact, up to the time of Finley's injury, Driver was tied with Finley for the team lead in catchs (35 or whatever), while Finley had slightly more yards.

Driver clearly was getting open and making his presence felt on the field, while Jennings fell into the background with Finley here. It was pretty much the exact opposite of what we thought would happen with Finley on the field, as most thought Driver would fall off and Jennings would be fine.

To me, this showed me that a healthy Driver (and healthy is really the key issue) is still likely almost as good as he ever was. He is a great route runner and just knows how to get open, and is still deceptively fast which helps him create that seperation. Sure, Driver still has 3 or so drops a year that just baffle you, but he makes enough tough catches in traffic usually to forgive him for it. I am also a realist - I know Driver is getting up there in age, but really I think he has a couple seasons of pretty good production left barring injury.

He's not a guy like Moss who, in getting "super fit this offseason", essentially admitted in doing so that he got lazy and wasn't in the shape he needed to be last season, and maybe the season before. Assuming he is healthy, Driver has always stayed in prestine shape. He wants to play till he is 40, and barring a big injury he likely will. He may not do it as a packer, but I see him playing out that contract through age 38.

I like this signing of course, Can never have too many weapons, and we all saw having depth his huge for injuiry reasons. I just don't see a healthy driver falling behind any other WR in terms of catches. He simply still a better WR than Jones or Nelson, and who knows when those two will pass a healthy driver. I just saw too much good from Driver last year when he was healthy to write him off.

There is a difference between targets and drop off. Rodgers could continue to target Driver as he did early last season, but Driver didn't survive that use. Jennings did not suddenly get worse at the beginning of 2010. He was targeted less. But he survived and thrived as the main target.

And while his injury might have been a fluke compared to his career, it is getting more likely to happen than less.

Patler
08-01-2011, 09:01 AM
There is a difference between targets and drop off. Rodgers could continue to target Driver as he did early last season, but Driver didn't survive that use. Jennings did not suddenly get worse at the beginning of 2010. He was targeted less. But he survived and thrived as the main target.

And while his injury might have been a fluke compared to his career, it is getting more likely to happen than less.

When healthy and on the field, I expect Driver to still perform well this season. But I expect injuries might be the norm from here on out for him. He has always taken a lot of hits, and usually bounced right back up. But age changes you, even if your name is Donald Driver. If Driver plays the way he always has, and the Packers use him the way they normally do; I expect Driver to miss time again this season as his body shows the combined effects of age and the accumulated hits he has taken over the years.

ThunderDan
08-01-2011, 09:58 AM
From another thread here is my analysis of the WRs:

With my "unoffical" stats method we have:

Jennings - 79 attempts, 3 drops, 2 fumbles - 6.3% failure rate
Driver - 58 attempts, 7 drops, 1 fumble - 13.8% failure rate
Nelson - 55 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 23.6% failure rate
Jones - 60 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 21.7% failure rate

That pretty much proves to me why Jones and Nelson are fighting for the 3rd WR spot.

And another note:

Driver - 698 career catches - 8 career fumbles - 1.15%
Jennings - 322 cc - 5 cf - 1.55%
Jones - 149 cc - 6 cf - 4.03%
Nelson - 100 cc - 6 cf - 6.00%

Way too much ball on the turf for Jones and Nelson to be serious #1 or 2 WRs in the NFL.

I will need to see the amount spent for JJ to be able to evaluate if this was a good signing for the Pack.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 10:03 AM
From another thread here is my analysis of the WRs:

With my "unoffical" stats method we have:

Jennings - 79 attempts, 3 drops, 2 fumbles - 6.3% failure rate
Driver - 58 attempts, 7 drops, 1 fumble - 13.8% failure rate
Nelson - 55 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 23.6% failure rate
Jones - 60 attempts, 10 drops, 3 fumbles - 21.7% failure rate

That pretty much proves to me why Jones and Nelson are fighting for the 3rd WR spot.

Football Outsiders has Jennings with 125 passes thrown to him, Driver 84, Jones 87 and Nelson with 64.

ThunderDan
08-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Football Outsiders has Jennings with 125 passes thrown to him, Driver 84, Jones 87 and Nelson with 64.

That's targeted throws. I use total catches plus total drops = total attempts A ball thrown to Jennings 5 feet over his head shouldn't count for or against his performance.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 10:16 AM
I'd like to see them list out each drop, so I can judge them. There are easy drops, easy drops that would have gone for a TD, drops that aren't easy but makeable, there are tough drops but a player gets a hand on the ball. It's just so subjective. Targets aren't subjective, but of course it's hard to judge a receiver just based on that also. Maybe one guy had more targets but more bad throws to him. I think it evens out though and Rodgers is pretty damn accurate, so I think catches/targets ratio and yards/targets ratio is a pretty good way of judging everything (how much they get open, how good are there hands, how well do they do after the catch, etc.) about a WR. However, it's not like baseball where you can use stats and get a really good feel for just how good a player is. My eyes tell me that Jennings is a stud. Underrated, in fact. Finley is a stud. Driver (at this point), Nelson, and Jones are solid but each have their warts at this point.

Patler
08-01-2011, 10:20 AM
That's targeted throws. I use total catches plus total drops = total attempts A ball thrown to Jennings 5 feet over his head shouldn't count for or against his performance.

That's not a bad way to look at it for what we are concerned with as fans. Did he catch what he should have caught? Did he fumble it afterwards? A targeted throw that is neither a completion nor a drop would seem to be the receivers fault only if he broke the wrong way, stopped when he should have gone, gone when he should have stopped, etc. We, as fans, are not really able to judge those things very well.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Yes, I know. I think the targeted number shows that Nelson struggled for a large part of the season. If not for Jones drops (and one glaring fumble) in key situations, no one would be questioning who was the number 3 receiver by the end of the year.

But then Nelson had a monster post-season, even though it contained more drops.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 10:24 AM
That's not a bad way to look at it for what we are concerned with as fans. Did he catch what he should have caught? Did he fumble it afterwards? A targeted throw that is neither a completion nor a drop would seem to be the receivers fault only if he broke the wrong way, stopped when he should have gone, gone when he should have stopped, etc. We, as fans, are not really able to judge those things very well.

While certainly imperfect, it also can tell you the success rate of throwing to a certain receiver. When a number stands out, then you can go back and decide if the QB is forcing throws (or can't throw those routes) or if the receiver simply doesn't get to what he should get to.

Its not clean, but you need some sense of whether a receiver gets to what is thrown to him. Otherwise alligator armed receivers always look best.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Yes, I know. I think the targeted number shows that Nelson struggled for a large part of the season. If not for Jones drops (and one glaring fumble) in key situations, no one would be questioning who was the number 3 receiver by the end of the year.

But then Nelson had a monster post-season, even though it contained more drops.

I hate to keep arguing Jones vs. Nelson because I think they are both solid but not great, but the numbers don't indicate that Jones was more effective, but the glaring drops unfairly knocked his performace down. In fact, I'd argue the opposite is true.

According to JSO:

Jennings 159 targets, 6 drops, 97 receptions, 1568 yards, 61% catch/target ratio, 9.9 yards/target ratio
Jones 101 targets, 10 drops, 61 receptions, 823 yards, 60% catch/target ratio, 8.1 yards/target ratio
Driver 101 targets, 7 drops, 65 receptions, 734 yards, 64% catch/target ratio, 7.3 yards/target ratio
Nelson 92 targets, 10 drops, 66 receptions, 868 yards, 72% catch/target ratio, 9.4 yards/target ratio

It seems to me that Nelson was the second most productive WR, but the drops tarnished his year. Now, when I look at the numbers, a few things stand out.

1) Jennings is the deep ball threat, so it's natural that his catch ratio isn't great but his yards ratio is. Also, he's the only guy that got considerable double teams.
2) Driver is almost exclusively a possession receiver at this point in his career.
3) I would think that Nelson and Jones run a lot of similar routes and get similar attention. They are kind of mixed and matched as the 3rd/4th receivers--with Jennings almost always an outside guy and Driver a slot guy.

However, if Jones had not dropped a couple of those possible long TDs, his stats would be more impressive.

Patler
08-01-2011, 10:48 AM
While certainly imperfect, it also can tell you the success rate of throwing to a certain receiver. When a number stands out, then you can go back and decide if the QB is forcing throws (or can't throw those routes) or if the receiver simply doesn't get to what he should get to.

Its not clean, but you need some sense of whether a receiver gets to what is thrown to him. Otherwise alligator armed receivers always look best.

I agree, but for non-drop targeted incompletions its hard for us as fans to attribute fault properly. If every pass has to have a target, sideline and endzone throw-aways are easy to see, but not so much the other things. For example, GB had a QB before Rodgers who played quite a few years, and for much of that time he struggled throwing the long ball well. Whoever was running a big portion of the deep routes in those years might look bad when really those incompletions might have been more on the QB, even though they looked "close".

pbmax
08-01-2011, 11:17 AM

I hate to keep arguing Jones vs. Nelson because I think they are both solid but not great, but the numbers don't indicate that Jones was more effective, but the glaring drops unfairly knocked his performace down. In fact, I'd argue the opposite is true.

According to JSO:

Jennings 159 targets, 6 drops, 97 receptions, 1568 yards, 61% catch/target ratio, 9.9 yards/target ratio
Jones 101 targets, 10 drops, 61 receptions, 823 yards, 60% catch/target ratio, 8.1 yards/target ratio
Driver 101 targets, 7 drops, 65 receptions, 734 yards, 64% catch/target ratio, 7.3 yards/target ratio
Nelson 92 targets, 10 drops, 66 receptions, 868 yards, 72% catch/target ratio, 9.4 yards/target ratio

It seems to me that Nelson was the second most productive WR, but the drops tarnished his year. Now, when I look at the numbers, a few things stand out.

1) Jennings is the deep ball threat, so it's natural that his catch ratio isn't great but his yards ratio is. Also, he's the only guy that got considerable double teams.
2) Driver is almost exclusively a possession receiver at this point in his career.
3) I would think that Nelson and Jones run a lot of similar routes and get similar attention. They are kind of mixed and matched as the 3rd/4th receivers--with Jennings almost always an outside guy and Driver a slot guy.

However, if Jones had not dropped a couple of those possible long TDs, his stats would be more impressive.

Do those JSO numbers include postseason? Nelson had 28 more targets according to JSO than FO.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Yes, they included postseason stats.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/126299573.html

MadtownPacker
08-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Damn you could work for ESPN with that kind of hindsight.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 11:59 AM
Yes, they included postseason stats.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/126299573.html

Well, I think his postseason really stamped his season as a success; prior to that I thought he had fallen behind Jones.

But I may have overstated the case about Nelson's weak regular season. Despite not being the focus that Jones was, he did hold on to a better percentage of his targets compared to Jones, even as both he and Jones had too many drops.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, I think his postseason really stamped his season as a success; prior to that I thought he had fallen behind Jones.

But I may have overstated the case about Nelson's weak regular season. Despite not being the focus that Jones was, he did hold on to a better percentage of his targets compared to Jones, even as both he and Jones had too many drops.

I agree that Nelson's postseason elevated him to some degree, but he did also have like 3 drops in the Super Bowl alone. Statistically, I'm not sure how much it helped his drop rate, catch/target ratio, and yards/target ratio. I think Jones had a slight edge until late in the year, but I think his drops and Nelson's play maybe put them on par in the minds of the coaches. It's interesting that Nelson ended up getting slightly more plays on the year.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I agree that Nelson's postseason elevated him to some degree, but he did also have like 3 drops in the Super Bowl alone. Statistically, I'm not sure how much it helped his drop rate, catch/target ratio, and yards/target ratio. I think Jones had a slight edge until late in the year, but I think his drops and Nelson's play maybe put them on par in the minds of the coaches. It's interesting that Nelson ended up getting slightly more plays on the year.

Rodgers seemed at one point to target Jones with 3 WR on field after Finley went down. But by the end of the season, that was less the case.

What I was initially struck by (and what changed in the postseason) was that Nelson was 20+ targets behind Jones. Now targets to JSO and FO are tabulated by different people with perhaps different standards, but roughly speaking, Nelson was targeted at a 2:1 rate compared to Jones in the postseason (28-14).

Some of that regular season difference may be route preference, as Rodgers loves going deep on the outside when he gets single coverage.

HarveyWallbangers
08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
Rodgers seemed at one point to target Jones with 3 WR on field after Finley went down. But by the end of the season, that was less the case.

What I was initially struck by (and what changed in the postseason) was that Nelson was 20+ targets behind Jones. Now targets to JSO and FO are tabulated by different people with perhaps different standards, but roughly speaking, Nelson was targeted at a 2:1 rate compared to Jones in the postseason (28-14).

Some of that regular season difference may be route preference, as Rodgers loves going deep on the outside when he gets single coverage.

It's hard to say if it was a changing of the guard. Could have been just a 4 game sample. You could go back to any 4 game sample throughout the year, and find one guy did better (was targeted) more than the other. Or perhaps Rodgers lost a bit of confidence in Jones after the big drops. I would expect that they'll share duties again this year and their #1 of plays and targets will be quite similar.

KYPack
08-01-2011, 01:03 PM
I really didn't think we'd see Jones back on the roster. I'm real glad he re-signed. He has one quality that I love to see in an athlete. He's got a chip on his shoulder and something to prove. You know JJ has a burning desire to turn in a monster season and stick it up everybodies ass that has been bad rapping him for all the drops.

That could work against us, but give me a guy with his motivation over a player with little to prove every time.

You know, I THINK I know as much football as Harv or Patler, but when them boys start using terms like "non-drop targeted incompletions", I realize they might just be a little over my head.

In a non-related thread-jack type question, which one of you sumbitches implemented them little colored tombstones under the poster name, like a rating system?

I think I smell the foul stench of Harlan or Skin behind this low-life "star system", but in fine PR tradition, I've never seen it explained anywhere.

What is it, who did it, etc?

Patler
08-01-2011, 02:09 PM
You know, I THINK I know as much football as Harv or Patler, but when them boys start using terms like "non-drop targeted incompletions", I realize they might just be a little over my head.

How about a "targeted pass non-drop incompletion"; or an "incomplete targeted pass - nondrop" instead? :lol:

You have no need to worry about the adequacy of your football knowledge, my friend! ! :worship:

Smidgeon
08-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Anyone hear Jones' contract numbers?

KYPack
08-01-2011, 04:07 PM
How about a "targeted pass non-drop incompletion"; or an "incomplete targeted pass - nondrop" instead? :lol:

You have no need to worry about the adequacy of your football knowledge, my friend! ! :worship:

"Incomplete targeted pass - nondrop" sounds like the World's Tallest Midget to me. Some fancy terminology in search of a statistic. It made me try to figure out what it meant, until I figured out I didn't give a shit. (Please insert a 'I'm just jokin' emoticon here)

I am glad we kept Jones. A good young player with experience. It's obvious the guys all like him and he's really got the hunger. That's hard to find coming off a championship season. A guy who knows the system who wants to show people what he's got.

Somebody answer my question. Who put those little colored squares under the poster's names? Good Christ, mine changed color since I asked the question the first time!

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 04:22 PM
That would be our fearless leader. Green is good, gray is boring and red means we hate you. It's based on ratings posters can give to posts. If you look at the row of icons below a post, click the one that looks like a sheriff's badge and you can approve or disapprove of a post and add to a poster's reputation. You are green because you said something along the way that someone liked. Mad did manipulate them to begin with to see how it all worked.

Fritz
08-01-2011, 05:13 PM
This all reminds me of Death of a Salesman ...."Biff....he....he likes me!"

pbmax
08-01-2011, 05:27 PM

The acronym for either of those, when they are finished, should be Nintcompoop.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Anyone hear Jones' contract numbers?

No, and Silverstein nearly gave me heart failure when he posted a blog item about contract numbers and then listed all the Packer (and former Packer) number except Kuhn and Jones. Given all the transactions that are happening, I think its taking the league office a while to get the numbers in and then the agents to leak the actual and correct details to the press. Not even Rotoworld has numbers for either guy.

PFT has just flat give up posting the details, which is unfortunate because that used to the be one of their best features and argument-settlers.

Patler
08-01-2011, 06:35 PM
The acronym for either of those, when they are finished, should be Nintcompoop.

Whatever you say.

Patler
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
No, and Silverstein nearly gave me heart failure when he posted a blog item about contract numbers and then listed all the Packer (and former Packer) number except Kuhn and Jones. Given all the transactions that are happening, I think its taking the league office a while to get the numbers in and then the agents to leak the actual and correct details to the press. Not even Rotoworld has numbers for either guy.

PFT has just flat give up posting the details, which is unfortunate because that used to the be one of their best features and argument-settlers.

What's the big rush? The details are likely to come out soon enough, and it really doesn't matter much right now anyway. With the league year not starting until Thursday, and signed free agents not allowed to practice until then, with all the signings including rookies and FAs, the contracts are probably all tucked away in envelopes waiting for entry.

I'm confident that salary cap info will be coming out shortly after Thursday. TT won't do anything significant with it until well into the season anyway.

channtheman
08-01-2011, 07:52 PM

I actually don't mind Rodgers saying he wants Jones back. I think Jones has the potential to be a locker room cancer if he is unhappy and what better way than to make him feel happy than have Rodgers asking for him back? I also do not think TT was swayed in any way by anything Rodgers or Driver said about wanting Jones back. Jones tested his market value and when it wasn't as high as he imagined, the Packers were able to get him back.

pbmax
08-01-2011, 09:00 PM
What's the big rush? The details are likely to come out soon enough, and it really doesn't matter much right now anyway. With the league year not starting until Thursday, and signed free agents not allowed to practice until then, with all the signings including rookies and FAs, the contracts are probably all tucked away in envelopes waiting for entry.

I'm confident that salary cap info will be coming out shortly after Thursday. TT won't do anything significant with it until well into the season anyway.

Strictly personal and selfish. My work week will pick up tomorrow with travel and I was hoping to see numbers before I had to divert attention away from the Packers and to something actually relevant. Of course it will eventually come out, I was just hoping for today.

smuggler
08-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Jennings: Catch Rate 61% and Fumbles 2

I remember the game where Jennings had two fumbles. Both came in the game against the Falcons. The first came loose when his elbow slammed into the turf. The ball is quickly scooped up by Jordy. You can see the official ruling down-by-contact, right next to Jordy and Greg and the Falcons DB, but for some reason the scorer called it a fumble. The other was a lateral that went out of bounds on the desperation play at the end of the game.

The first one wasn't a fumble. The second didn't hurt the team, and was only a fumble by strict definition.

As for Jones' contract, I would guess it's between 3/12 and 3/18

Packers4Glory
08-02-2011, 06:58 AM
I almost expect Jones to take over the so called #2 WR role on this team next yr. As frustrating as the drops were, I think he reigns it in this yr and has big season. I love Driver but I have to think at this point he's the 4th best WR on this roster. Thats not taking anything away from DD, but I think he would be better off and still make a great contribution to this team if he slipped into that 4th role. I think Jones is clearly the 2nd most talented WR on this roster. Time to shine.

Scott Campbell
08-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Is there any reason for him to drag his feet on Sitton?

Patler
08-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Is there any reason for him to drag his feet on Sitton?

Depends what you mean by "drag his feet". From the team's perspective, there isn't much reason to do it during TC. It protects the team for a while longer against some sort of catastrophic injury, etc. that might affect the offer they are willing to make. On the other hand, if Sitton agrees to a discount to sign the deal as early as possible, the team very well might want to do it soon.

Scott Campbell
08-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Depends what you mean by "drag his feet". From the team's perspective, there isn't much reason to do it during TC. It protects the team for a while longer against some sort of catastrophic injury, etc. that might affect the offer they are willing to make. On the other hand, if Sitton agrees to a discount to sign the deal as early as possible, the team very well might want to do it soon.

I'd take a little less money overall to get it done earlier if I was Sitton. He has yet to see his first really big NFL payday. He has more to lose than the Packers do.

Patler
08-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I'd take a little less money overall to get it done earlier if I was Sitton. He has yet to see his first really big NFL payday. He has more to lose than the Packers do.

You and I might see it that way, sometimes players and/or their agents see it differently. A second big contract may never come, so they want to maximize this one.

Lurker64
08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
You and I might see it that way, sometimes players and/or their agents see it differently. A second big contract may never come, so they want to maximize this one.

It's the classic player v. agent tension. Sitton wants to stay in Green Bay and realizes that whatever contract he signs it will make him rich, but his agent knows what he's worth on the open market (at least 30 other teams would like to have Sitton) and has a clear disincentive for taking a below market contract (because it makes it more difficult for him to sign new clients.)

I think something gets done, but it will be pricey. I expect something like 5 years $40m.

Smidgeon
08-02-2011, 02:18 PM
It's the classic player v. agent tension. Sitton wants to stay in Green Bay and realizes that whatever contract he signs it will make him rich, but his agent knows what he's worth on the open market (at least 30 other teams would like to have Sitton) and has a clear disincentive for taking a below market contract (because it makes it more difficult for him to sign new clients.)

I think something gets done, but it will be pricey. I expect something like 5 years $40m.

Except for whom?

Lurker64
08-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Except for whom?

New Orleans has some pretty good guards in Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks. Sitton wouldn't be a clear upgrade over either of them (Sitton's a better pass blocker than either, but those two guys have a lean on Sitton in the run game), so I don't know if they would bother to pursue him.

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 09:14 AM
If Jones deal was 3/15 or less, what a fantastic deal. If he can keep working on his concentration, I will take a top flight gifted WR like him for that kind of money. However, if he can't keep his head in the game, it will have been a mediocre deal that I would have rather gone towards keeping Jenkins instead.

MJZiggy
08-03-2011, 09:20 AM
If Jones deal was 3/15 or less, what a fantastic deal. If he can keep working on his concentration, I will take a top flight gifted WR like him for that kind of money. However, if he can't keep his head in the game, it will have been a mediocre deal that I would have rather gone towards keeping Jenkins instead.

Except for the fact that Jenkins went to the Redskins which is a signal that his career is about to flame out horridly.

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Except for the fact that Jenkins went to the Redskins which is a signal that his career is about to flame out horridly.

You would be correct on the sentiment of that statement, if it was indeed correct. He went to the Eagles though, where he likely will be in a solid rotation to keep him fresh and after the ball.

MJZiggy
08-03-2011, 09:27 AM
You would be correct on the sentiment of that statement, if it was indeed correct. He went to the Eagles though, where he likely will be in a solid rotation to keep him fresh and after the ball.

You are correct. Excuse me. Local news was so high on the possibility of him coming...

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 09:32 AM
It was still a good line, so I think we should look past his actual destination.

vince
08-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Here are the details of Jones' contract. 3 yrs./9.4 mil. Good value.

Jones’ contract had a $1.5 million signing bonus plus a $1.3 million base salary and $950,00 roster bonus for this year, for a $3.75 million first-year total. Next year he’ll make a $2.3 million base salary and $200,000 roster bonus ($2.5 million total), and in 2013 he’ll make a $2.95 million base salary and $200,000 roster bonus ($3.15 million total).

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
I guess he demanded to be paid more than the kicker

ThunderDan
08-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Here are the details of Jones' contract. 3 yrs./9.2 mil. Good value.

I can live with that contract for Jones. If he has a breakout season in 2011 you look to extend him half way thru 2012 if not you let him play out his contract.

pbmax
08-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Dirt cheap for Driver insurance.

channtheman
08-05-2011, 11:53 PM
That is a great deal for the Packers. I did not expect it to be so low, but I am really happy about that.

smuggler
08-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Crosby was probably worth it just based on onsides kicks alone. He's a master at that craft! As for Jones, we got a pretty good deal. It was about 1/2 what I expected us to pay him on the high-end.

HarveyWallbangers
08-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Interesting stats.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?pos=WR

According to their stats, our most valuable receivers last year (including playoffs) went Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Driver (in order).

Jennings - targeted on 23.8% of pass plays, 10.0 yards/target, 61.8 catch/target ratio, 35.7 deep %
Nelson - targeted on 14.1% of pass plays, 9.3 yards/target, 71.0 catch/target ratio, 24.7 deep %
Jones - targets on 15.1% of pass plays, 8.2 yards/target, 61.0 catch/target ratio, 32.0 deep %
Driver - targeted on 16.0% of pass plays, 6.9 yards/target, 61.3 catch/target ratio, 20.8 deep %

Deep % = the percentage of targets in which the receiver was more than 15 yards downfield.

RashanGary
08-12-2011, 08:07 AM
I hate to say it, but with Chastin West and Gurly, I think it's time to move on from Driver. I don't know what his bonus was, he's a great guy and still a solid player, but I'd hate to let one of the young guys go.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 08:35 AM
The problem with Driver is he is likely to have injuries all season just like last year.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 08:37 AM
I don't see how you get rid of Jenkins, who is 6 years younger than Driver, who earns less money than Driver, and who plays a position where we have far more need of talent.

smuggler
08-12-2011, 09:24 AM
Lineman like Jenkins, who rely on quickness more than size and strength, break down more quickly than receivers like Driver, who rely on toughness and leadership.

I'm not saying I disagree with your sentiment, but their ages are a bit deceptive. Plus I think the coaching staff has a real crush on Mike Neal.

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
Its also possible that Thompson really didn't have the option to retain Jenkins after he decided to let Jenkins test the market. Maybe Jenkins was pissed at being let go. You never really know what goes on with these things. I agree with decision to let Jenkins test the market.

smuggler
08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
I think Jenkins was fooled by the Eagles' offer. He saw the 5y/$25m and jumped at it. Truth is, it's actually a 1y/$4m contract unless he really kicks butt this year. There's no way we were going to offer Jenkins a 5y deal.

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Listen we all know Jenkins is going to end up getting injured so I don't blame TT for not resigning him when he has a promising young player in the wings. While I do believe this will be Drivers last season you just can't get rid of the guy. These players respect the guy so much a move like that would really effect the locker room IMO.

smuggler
08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Yeah, it would just seem dirty to dump Driver. Plus, if *knock on wood, God forbid* Jennings were to go down, we really would want Driver suiting up on gamedays for more than just for the leadership element alone.

Upnorth
08-12-2011, 10:26 AM
I can live with that contract for Jones. If he has a breakout season in 2011 you look to extend him half way thru 2012 if not you let him play out his contract.

Sounds right to me. I am suprised we got him this cheap, I guess the SB drops cost him a lot.

Smidgeon
08-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Listen we all know Jenkins is going to end up getting injured so I don't blame TT for not resigning him when he has a promising young player in the wings. While I do believe this will be Drivers last season you just can't get rid of the guy. These players respect the guy so much a move like that would really effect the locker room IMO.

It's a business and the players understand that. See Tauscher, Mark.

ThunderDan
08-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't think there is anyway we can dump Driver this year. He is too good over the middle and right mow we don't have anyone on the team with experience to go over the middle. Maybe Cobb or one of the young guys can but until I see it in a game we have to have DD on the roster.

smuggler
08-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Honestly, injuries aside, Driver was good last season. He can still do everything we need. Aside from that, if they were going to part ways, they would have done it by now. Making him a camp casualty is disrespectful. If they had parted before the offseason (lockout) then I would have been okay with it. Cutting the cord now would leave a poor taste in everyone's mouth.

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 11:54 AM
It's a business and the players understand that. See Tauscher, Mark.

True, but I think its a little different though because Driver can still play.

Smidgeon
08-12-2011, 12:09 PM

I'm in no position to argue that one way or the other. I just wanted to temper the "Driver's irreplaceable in the locker room" argument a little... <shrugs>

Harlan Huckleby
08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
On weeks when his body is functional enough

gbgary
08-12-2011, 03:40 PM
if the rookies look like they'll stick it wouldn't really surprise me if dd were let go. i'd be sad though.

Smidgeon
08-12-2011, 04:16 PM
I don't think Gurley is going to beat out Driver for a spot. West? ...maybe but highly doubtful. I think they'd keep six WRs instead of cutting Driver if that's what had to happen to keep one around.