PDA

View Full Version : Should The Packers Ask Driver To Restructure?

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 03:14 PM
$4.1M for 2011

15 games
51 receptions
565 yards
4 TD's
11.1 YPC
Had more drops than Jones.

Patler
07-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Na...but they might ask him to retire after the season!

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-31-2011, 04:44 PM
If he's willing the play for 1 mil a year, he could play until he's 40 like he wants.

vince
07-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Driver's due to make $5 mil with roster and workout bonuses both this year and next year. I don't think they'll ask him to restructure now, but his roster bonus goes up from $700,000 this year to $2.2 mil. next year. I think he's going to have to play really welll to keep Cobb out of his slot spot this year and that roster bonus next year is in jeopardy.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 05:16 PM
Driver's due to make $5 mil with roster and workout bonuses both this year and next year. I don't think they'll ask him to restructure now, but his roster bonus goes up from $700,000 this year to $2.2 mil. next year. I think he's going to have to play really welll to keep Cobb out of his slot spot this year and that roster bonus next year is in jeopardy.

I don't think he's worth $5M based on last years production. He probably hasn't been worth that kind of money for a while. The Packers were pretty good about extending him, and listened when he lobbied for Jones.

vince
07-31-2011, 05:38 PM
This is obviously premature, but I think there's a chance Cobb could turn out to be Greg Jennings-esque and demand time on the field his first year. He's friggin' dynamic when he gets the ball in his hands in space. If this were a normal offseason, I think Driver might have found himself fighting for a roster spot coming out of camp. It'd be awfully tough to say that this year though.

King Friday
07-31-2011, 08:46 PM
No need to restructure him this year since we don't need the cap space and due to his career body of work as a Packer...but I think that there is a 100% chance of it happening next year.

Scott Campbell
07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
No need to restructure him this year since we don't need the cap space and due to his career body of work as a Packer...but I think that there is a 100% chance of it happening next year.

We could use that money this year to front load Sitton or Finley extensions.

Joemailman
07-31-2011, 09:17 PM
They won't try to change his contract this year, but next year could be interesting. Next year he has a 2.6M base, and a 2.2M roster bonus. Not sure he'll ever get that money.

TheRaven
08-03-2011, 11:55 AM
We could use that money this year to front load Sitton or Finley extensions.

I thought we had enough to front load an extension as we stand now.

I support the Packers being wise with their money, but if there is no need to insist on Driver renegotiating now, then I would rather him get one more year of the contract that was committed to him.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Had more drops than Jones.

Just to clarify, this isn't the case according to JSO.

Driver = 7 drops
Jones = 10 drops

Fritz
08-03-2011, 12:41 PM
I think this might be the Donald's last year, unless he's willing to come back cheap as a mentor next year.

Bretsky
08-03-2011, 07:43 PM
go back and watch each game Driver played; he was badly hobbled and should have really took some time off before he actually did.

That's why I think his numbers were down so much last year.

I think he has a pretty decent season. After this year who knows what will occur but I just hope it ends peacefully.

rbaloha1
08-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Too many drops and not as explosive. Still makes tough catches over the middle.

Agree that Cobb probably becomes the #2. DD should sign the NFL veteran minimum for future years. Maybe this helps with paying for Finley's anticipated large contract.

Joemailman
08-03-2011, 08:54 PM
go back and watch each game Driver played; he was badly hobbled and should have really took some time off before he actually did.

That's why I think his numbers were down so much last year.

I think he has a pretty decent season. After this year who knows what will occur but I just hope it ends peacefully.

He was actually having a pretty good year last year before he got hurt. 25 catches for 275 yards in the first 5 games. Then he got hurt and as you say, probably should have missed more than one game. He had 2 consecutive starts in which he failed to catch a pass before they sat him down against Dallas. He's definitely lost some explosiveness, but can still be pretty effective if he can stay relatively healthy.

Deputy Nutz
08-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Too many drops and not as explosive. Still makes tough catches over the middle.

Agree that Cobb probably becomes the #2. DD should sign the NFL veteran minimum for future years. Maybe this helps with paying for Finley's anticipated large contract.

I disagree. when Driver is healthy he breaks a shit load of tackles and make more after the catch than many receivers in the league, especially after contact. He was hurt last year, being hurt cuts that explosion way back. A Healthy DD is going to make this team very dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eATwE9YT7Mw

Bretsky
08-03-2011, 10:08 PM
He was actually having a pretty good year last year before he got hurt. 25 catches for 275 yards in the first 5 games. Then he got hurt and as you say, probably should have missed more than one game. He had 2 consecutive starts in which he failed to catch a pass before they sat him down against Dallas. He's definitely lost some explosiveness, but can still be pretty effective if he can stay relatively healthy.

DITTO

pbmax
08-03-2011, 10:29 PM
I disagree. when Driver is healthy he breaks a shit load of tackles and make more after the catch than many receivers in the league, especially after contact. He was hurt last year, being hurt cuts that explosion way back. A Healthy DD is going to make this team very dangerous. SNIP

He had that monster run versus San Fran, which was uplifting and fantastic, but also involved some shoddy tackling by 49ers. After that game, he did not have a breakout play or game that I remember (could be wrong, all that's left in my head are Super Bowl repeats). Now, he could have been feeling the effects of the previous injury, of course.

But he was severely injured again in the Super Bowl and was in a walking cast for 8+ weeks. Has he fully recovered? Has he had enough of his normal rugged offseason conditioning? No one knows, but it seems more likely that he has started the injury and fade portion of his career rather than experienced a temporary blip.

rbaloha1
08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
I disagree. when Driver is healthy he breaks a shit load of tackles and make more after the catch than many receivers in the league, especially after contact. He was hurt last year, being hurt cuts that explosion way back. A Healthy DD is going to make this team very dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=eATwE9YT7Mw

Indeed a nice play. DD is still too inconsistent as compared to younger days.