PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell watch

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2011, 11:40 AM
no news

Scott Campbell
08-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Teams are probably letting the market settle before beginning their pursuit.

rbaloha1
08-01-2011, 12:19 PM
$8 million waste of money. Wished TT provided the dude one last opportunity if JH agreed to restructure contract for the NFL minimum. Maybe he is resigned.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Its not the money, the guy is never healthy. TT worst draft pick.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Maybe his body just doesn't hold-up to football. From an interview I read somewhere, it sounds like he is happy at his vacation cabin in backwoods of Tennessee.

I don't blame him one bit for having a bad back. Hope he saved some of that $8M.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2011, 12:28 PM

I expect he was a first rounder on mostj or all teams draft boards. He did have an injury in college. I never blame GMs for injuries, they are not predictable.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-01-2011, 12:41 PM
I expect he was a first rounder on mostj or all teams draft boards. He did have an injury in college. I never blame GMs for injuries, they are not predictable.

I don't think teams had him as high as TT did. To say most or all teams had him as a first rounder on there draft boards is at the very least questionable. I'm not blaming TT for injuries that happen. For example, I thought Terrance Murphy was going to be a really good player for us before he got hurt. I just thought he reached on him at 16 and I didn't like the fact that on top of that he was injured his senior year. Still, he got Jones, Bishop, and Corsby later on and he got some decent players in Hall and Jackson who are now gone. Overall, not a horrible draft.

Edit: Also, he traded for Grant that year and picked up Bigby and a couple others who contributed.

sheepshead
08-01-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think teams had him as high as TT did. To say most or all teams had him as a first rounder on there draft boards is at the very least questionable. I'm not blaming TT for injuries that happen. For example, I thought Terrance Murphy was going to be a really good player for us before he got hurt. I just thought he reached on him at 16 and I didn't like the fact that on top of that he was injured his senior year. Still, he got Jones, Bishop, and Corsby later on and he got some decent players in Hall and Jackson who are now gone. Overall, not a horrible draft.

Well, you'll never be able to grade the pick because he got hurt. Doing so is unfair. I think that's the point.

Harlan Huckleby
08-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Wasn't Justin Harrell considered the best defensive lineman in college football at one point? A guy with that size who can play is gold, jerry, gold.

Smidgeon
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Worse than Brohm? Really? <sigh>

Cheesehead Craig
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Justin Harrell watch

no news

There's always some delay in making this thing. Everytime it looks like it's ready to roll, something else breaks on it and they have to scrap the whole production line.

rbaloha1
08-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Wasn't Justin Harrell considered the best defensive lineman in college football at one point? A guy with that size who can play is gold, jerry, gold.

The dude was talented -- flashed explosion and power. Injury history made him a gamble but was moving up on draft boards.

Recall Mr. Tennesse -- Reggie Mckenzie had a huge influence on this pick. TT was in process of changing the culture by bringing in high character players as opposed to Sherman who always felt he could rehabilitate bad character dudes (i.e batman, joey thomas, joe johnson, donnell washington, etc.)

Deputy Nutz
08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
The guy had a serious injury to his arm, couldn't lift, couldn't workout for year outside of rehab. His body never recovered, it was one injury after another. That is how guys build up an injury history, recovery from serious injuries sometimes lead to other injuries.

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 01:13 PM
The guy had a serious injury to his arm, couldn't lift, couldn't workout for year outside of rehab. His body never recovered, it was one injury after another. That is how guys build up an injury history, recovery from serious injuries sometimes lead to other injuries.
I think he'd have recovered fine had they not been screwing around in the weight room...back injuries are so hard to come back from.

3irty1
08-01-2011, 01:19 PM
Part of me hopes we pick him up for a little redemption. The guy has always been effective when he's actually on the field and IMO would be at least as good as Pickett at holding down that LDE gig. After 2 years of no back trouble, nearly a whole year to recover from his ACL, I was hoping the guy has a shot at finally being a contributor. The Packers know more about his injuries than I do though and it looks like they don't share my optimism.

KYPack
08-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Oh yeah. Harrell was given Reggie's 92 and played a similar role with the Vols (92 is now retired and JH will be the last Vol ever to wear it). Vol fans all say Harrell's junior season reminded many of Reggie's level of play.

Nutz's post is 100% true. Those injuries can snowball on ya, and before you know it, you can't play

Deputy Nutz
08-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I think he'd have recovered fine had they not been screwing around in the weight room...back injuries are so hard to come back from.

Umm, football players lift a lot of weights. Injuries do occur in the weight room from time to time, my belief is that he would have hurt his back regardless of if he was in a weight room or not. Maybe he wasn't doing something correctly but these are big strong men. I don't think he was doing something as foolish as Mike Wahle when he hurt his leg training like he was in a World's Strong Man Competition.

3irty1
08-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Umm, football players lift a lot of weights. Injuries do occur in the weight room from time to time, my belief is that he would have hurt his back regardless of if he was in a weight room or not. Maybe he wasn't doing something correctly but these are big strong men. I don't think he was doing something as foolish as Mike Wahle when he hurt his leg training like he was in a World's Strong Man Competition.

When the Packers fired their fitness coach after this back injury I took that as a sign that the injury should have been avoided and the coach was partially to blame if only because it happened on his watch.

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 01:45 PM

It's my understanding that the guys were goofing off in there and that is why the S&C staff got fired.

imscott72
08-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Actually I believe his was? Wasn't his back an issue before the draft?

MJZiggy
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Actually I believe his was? Wasn't his back an issue before the draft?

No that was an arm.

imscott72
08-01-2011, 01:47 PM
No that was an arm.

ok..