PDA

View Full Version : football genius contest: LG

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I think all 8 are a possibility. Only a genius can see through the haze.

vince
08-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Lang has looked stout so far, and held up pretty well as a rookie. I think he has the lower body and attitude to hold off the big dogs inside. I like McDonald too though.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2011, 10:17 AM
I went with Old McDonald because a farm kid ought to be tough.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2011, 10:41 AM
I voted for T.J. Lang. I think he will get the nod early, but the way the coaches rave about McDonald, he might be the guy the coaches see as the long-term answer.

smuggler
08-03-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure McDonald is big enough to play guard. I definitely like him, but I think he might have a better shot on the edges.

Brandon494
08-03-2011, 11:35 AM
TJ Lang and it's not even close

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2011, 11:48 AM
the coaches have plenty of experience with what Lang can and can't do. If they were comfortable with him as the answer, why would they be giving Sherrod first crack with the #1's?

Brandon494
08-03-2011, 12:30 PM
You just answered your own question. Yes they do have experience with Lang on what be can and can't do but they don't with Sherrod so of course they are going to see what they have in him being a 1st round draft pick. I mean you can look at Sherrod and tell he's not a guard, this dudes future is at tackle.

smuggler
08-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Because Lang might be serviceable in the strain of Colledge, but they want something better? I mean, Colledge did start over Lang last season, so while he might get us by, it's not very likely that he develops into a great player for us there.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Yes they do have experience with Lang on what be can and can't do but they don't with Sherrod so of course they are going to see what they have in him being a 1st round draft pick. I mean you can look at Sherrod and tell he's not a guard, this dudes future is at tackle.

I agree that Sherrod is an LT, but the coaches must see it differrently. It's a short preseason, there is no time to run experiments for the sake of giving backups experience. If they knew Lang was the guy, he would be getting ALL the reps since he is the new cog in the wheel.

Fritz
08-03-2011, 12:37 PM
The Swami Fritz sees all, knows all, and sees TJ Lang manning the spot for the whole season. In a manly way.

HarveyWallbangers
08-03-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure McDonald is big enough to play guard. I definitely like him, but I think he might have a better shot on the edges.

According to the rosters at Yahoo, McDonald is 6'4" 316. Lang is 6'4" 318. Sitton is 6'3" 318. Colledge is 6'4" 308.

Yoop
08-03-2011, 01:05 PM
I went with Old McDonald because a farm kid ought to be tough.

there all farm kids lol.

I think one of Lang, Bulaga, or McDonald will be our starting LG this year and probably the next 5 years, at this point it's impossible to just pick one.

3irty1
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Baring injury I think the guy that wins it out of camp will keep the job. Coaches don't usually panic and start rearranging the pieces unless some is really shitty. I think that guy will be Lang.

Tony Oday
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Ole McDonald FTW but I think Newhouse will win it

Brandon494
08-03-2011, 05:54 PM
I agree that Sherrod is an LT, but the coaches must see it differrently. It's a short preseason, there is no time to run experiments for the sake of giving backups experience. If they knew Lang was the guy, he would be getting ALL the reps since he is the new cog in the wheel.

LG is the only spot on the O-line that is open for competition. MM has stated several times that he wants his 5 best O-linemen on the field. No way to know that unless they give the 1st round draft pick a chance to compete.

Joemailman
08-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I think all 8 are a possibility. Only a genius can see through the haze.

That's ridiculous. You can't have 8 starting LG's. Or did you mean any of the 8?

Yoop
08-03-2011, 06:32 PM
LG is the only spot on the O-line that is open for competition. MM has stated several times that he wants his 5 best O-linemen on the field. No way to know that unless they give the 1st round draft pick a chance to compete.

If know one impresses you could see Bulaga move inside, and then the competition switch to RT, I'am starting to think thats his fit anyway, he was just getting into it when he got hurt last year, looked like a great run blocker, I like all the competition we have now, I wonder if Sherrod could handle RT, he may need a season to bulk up, and just because he was a 1st rounder doesn't mean he'll break the top 5, I think Newhouse, Lang, McDonald, would argue that point, it will interesting to see how this shakes out.

bobblehead
08-03-2011, 06:46 PM
That's ridiculous. You can't have 8 starting LG's. Or did you mean any of the 8?

I bet we would finally be able to run the ball though.

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2011, 07:56 PM

And I wonder why my mail keeps winding up at the neighbors

Harlan Huckleby
08-03-2011, 08:00 PM
I think one of Lang, Bulaga, or McDonald will be our starting LG this year and probably the next 5 years, at this point it's impossible to just pick one.

you must be a pain in the ass at the ice cream shop

pbmax
08-03-2011, 10:53 PM
McDonald. MM has already given Lang a partial kiss off by saying he is concerned by lack of improvement from Year 1 to Year 2.

This week, Sherrod will finish his Guard reps and unless he becomes a different player, he gets back to Tackle. The reason he is there now is so they can evaluate what they have for backups for the rest of the season, also just for sheer increased reps and to give Newhouse sometime at Tackle.

Second week is Lang's turn, then McDonald gets his shot as panic starts to rise on the net.

Yoop
08-04-2011, 06:22 AM
you must be a pain in the ass at the ice cream shop

of course, those sweet young girls get me so excited it impossible for me to concentrate on the ice cream, lol.

Yoop
08-04-2011, 06:41 AM
McDonald. MM has already given Lang a partial kiss off by saying he is concerned by lack of improvement from Year 1 to Year 2.

This week, Sherrod will finish his Guard reps and unless he becomes a different player, he gets back to Tackle. The reason he is there now is so they can evaluate what they have for backups for the rest of the season, also just for sheer increased reps and to give Newhouse sometime at Tackle.

Second week is Lang's turn, then McDonald gets his shot as panic starts to rise on the net.

I think we have more candidates to play RT than we do LG, I also believe LG is the harder position to fill at this level, just my opinion of course, but that was true years ago, unless someone jumps up and plays at Colledges level, I could see Bulaga moving inside, then the panic on the net turns it's focus to RT.

I want to see some of Shlauderaff (tough name to remember the spelling) he was a 4 year G at Utah, big, strong and nasty, he just seems the type for the job, maybe he needs a year though to jump to this level.

I've always felt that Bulaga's early problems last year, had more to do with his unfamiliarity with the natural change to the right side, he had problems with his footwork and setting up, that affected his leverage often at first, and as we know leverage is half the battle for a olineman, he may be a good RT for his whole career, who knows, I just think he could be a great LG, possibly top 5 caliber like Sitton, and we have a boatload of RT candidates on hand.

Harlan Huckleby
08-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Lang got a lot of rave reviews for his development in practice last year. But he was pretty bad when they had to put him in games. I think Lang's massive love in this poll is due to name recognition.

I'm feeling pretty good about my pick of McDonald. Pretty, pretty good.

Don't discount the possibility that Sherrod could gradually get better and win the job. Unless McDonald or Lang solidly stand out, teams LOVE to have their #1 draft pick on the field getting better. Nobody has publicly announced their vote for Sherrod, so if the gangely one does win the job, the hapless prize claimant will be called a liar rather than a genius. That would be fun.

Brandon494
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Lang was not getting rave reviews and struggled last season after coming back from wrist surgery. So far early in camp this year he has been getting rave reviews and I hear between him and Sherrod he is the clear favorite.

vince
08-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Schlauderaff has gotten less mention so far in camp, but what's been mentioned has been negative for the most part that I've read. He's been bowled over a few times. But like Sherrod, it's been by Pickett and Raji. Those guys obviously bring the wood inside. He's a work in progress.

pbmax
08-04-2011, 10:10 AM
I think we have more candidates to play RT than we do LG, I also believe LG is the harder position to fill at this level, just my opinion of course, but that was true years ago, unless someone jumps up and plays at Colledges level, I could see Bulaga moving inside, then the panic on the net turns it's focus to RT.

I want to see some of Shlauderaff (tough name to remember the spelling) he was a 4 year G at Utah, big, strong and nasty, he just seems the type for the job, maybe he needs a year though to jump to this level.

I've always felt that Bulaga's early problems last year, had more to do with his unfamiliarity with the natural change to the right side, he had problems with his footwork and setting up, that affected his leverage often at first, and as we know leverage is half the battle for a olineman, he may be a good RT for his whole career, who knows, I just think he could be a great LG, possibly top 5 caliber like Sitton, and we have a boatload of RT candidates on hand.

The one thing I am not sure about is why draftee CS is not playing left guard. They have switched him to right and McGinn says he is struggling.

vince
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM

I think you have to put your best two edge protectors at the tackle spots, regardless of your situation at guard, and you also have to have an eye to the future at those spots, particularly in the Packers' situation with aging Clifton. The quarterback is most vulnerable to the edge rushers and he's too important to do anything less than that.

That tells me that Clifton and Bulaga stay where they are and Sherrod works the left side to play LG (unlikely) and/or be ready at LT in the event of injury. I don't know if Newhouse has trouble on the right side or not, but when Sherrod presumably slides back behind Clifton on the depth chart, Newhouse goes to the right side behind Bulaga. McDonald and/or EDS/Schlauderaff back up the interior positions while Lang, who's been impressive in camp thus far, can effectively man the LG spot.

Upnorth
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I voted Lang, but I would be interested to see a different package. If Sherrod can catch on quickly enough to play RT and Clifton is still healthy to play LT plug Bulaga in at LG and we never have to worry about Rodgers blind side. Also with Bulaga on his natural side and with his ability to redirect there could be some beautiful gaps on the left side.

Yoop
08-04-2011, 10:56 AM
I think you have to put your best two edge protectors at the tackle spots, regardless of your situation at guard, and you also have to have an eye to the future at those spots, particularly in the Packers' situation with aging Clifton. The quarterback is most vulnerable to the edge rushers and he's too important to do anything less than that.

That tells me that Clifton and Bulaga stay where they are and Sherrod works the left side to play LG (unlikely) and/or be ready at LT in the event of injury. I don't know if Newhouse has trouble on the right side or not, but when Sherrod presumably slides back behind Clifton on the depth chart, Newhouse goes to the right side behind Bulaga. McDonald and/or EDS/Schlauderaff back up the interior positions while Lang, who's been impressive in camp thus far, can effectively man the LG spot.

I guess that might be true, specially with all the edge rushers in the game today, BUT (theres that word that dis qualify's all previous conversation again) a right handed QB can see the right side rusher, actually even better than he can see the inside rush, I know years ago it was said that LG was the second most important player on the oline, but again that could be different now.

at first Philben and Campen liked Lang as a tackle, and Mac liked him as a G, now just last week McCarthy admitted Lang looks much more natural as a T, so your guess is as good as mine Vince, only thing I can go by is this, last year with just the small sample Bulaga looked better as a G than I thought he did the whole year as a RT, and I believe he would be a force inside, next year we start Sherrod at LT, couple him with Bulaga at LG, and we go from one of the weaker left side combo's last year to one of the best next year, thats drastic improvment for the run blocking, just my thought on it.

But hey I been premoting Lang and McDonald all year to take that G spot, just some alternet idea's

vince
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
You bet Yoop. Welcome to the Rats' board btw.

Yoop
08-04-2011, 12:07 PM
You bet Yoop. Welcome to the Rats' board btw.

thanks Vince, nice to hear some fresh view points on the Packers.

Scott Campbell
08-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Newhouse at LT seems to be getting a lot of ooooohs and ahhhhhhs so far in camp.