PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays

Brando19
08-04-2011, 04:21 PM
The 49ers emailed every team in the league letting them know Taylor Mays is available for trade. There were alot of Rats high on him. I wonder what their asking price is? I'm sure the Eagles are on the phone.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/04/49ers-e-mail-every-team-trying-to-trade-taylor-mays/

MadtownPacker
08-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Is he related to Billy Mays?

Lurker64
08-04-2011, 04:49 PM
No. There we have five safeties on the roster who are better than Mays and there may be six but I don't know much about M.D. Jennings.

If you wanted a safety who can't cover, you could just resign Atari Bigby. Mays is Bigby but 4" taller, 20 lbs heavier, faster in a straight line but with much tighter hips.

3irty1
08-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Mays reminds me of Aaron Rouse.

red
08-04-2011, 05:28 PM
this should be ultimate proof that he sucks and wasn't worth our draft pick

Fritz
08-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Agreed, Red. Lots of people were hot for the guy on this forum, but he is Bigby 2.0, it seems. You don't start dialing up the other 31 NFL teams to let them know a guy is available unless A) you're the Chicago Bears' GM, or B) the guys turns out to suck, or C) the new coach is trying to make a statement by ditching a higher-profile guy who maybe isn't a "team" player.

Since I don't know if Mays is a team player, and it's SF and not Chicago doing the calling, I'll go with B).

BlueBrewer
08-04-2011, 07:44 PM
You are quite familiar with Atari's hips....care to explain?

No. There we have five safeties on the roster who are better than Mays and there may be six but I don't know much about M.D. Jennings.

If you wanted a safety who can't cover, you could just resign Atari Bigby. Mays is Bigby but 4" taller, 20 lbs heavier, faster in a straight line but with much tighter hips.

Brando19
08-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I should have mentioned in my original post...I don't want the Pack to go after him. He is OVERRATED...but I do remember alot of folks that were high on him in the draft. I agree with the comparisons to Rouse. He may be a hard hitter, but he's not going to make it playing Safety in the NFL.

rbaloha1
08-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Liked TM prior to the draft. Thought he was another Atwater not a Rouse.

TM was not coached properly at USC and was surrounded by NFL talent. His role was to play center field and deliver knock out blows. Tough dude often playing hurt. Coach Carroll passing on TM and selecting Earl Thomas was a big red flag.

IMO worth a middle to late round pick. The Packers have the coaches to make TM into a good player.

Fritz
08-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Do you think he's better than Morgan Burnett?

rbaloha1
08-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Do you think he's better than Morgan Burnett?

Heck no. Back up and maybe a dime safety.

smuggler
08-04-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm glad we got Burnett and not Major Wright. :)

Patler
08-04-2011, 10:28 PM
I wonder if a good coaching staff could beef him up and turn him into a linebacker.

Brandon494
08-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Like the poster said above hes Aaron Rouse but with 4.3 speed.

Deputy Nutz
08-04-2011, 11:59 PM
Here is a guy that cost himself millions of dollars by not coming out as a junior. He was a can't miss prospect with great size, speed, and could cover. Then his senior year rolled around, he didn't have the pieces around him and his lack of instincts and football ability was glaring. Everyone gets a hard on for a safety that is over 6-2, 220 pounds that can run, butt the reality is that these guys weren't athletic enough or smart enough to play cornerback or linebacker. Guys that play safety that are this size are tweeners that lack something.

Brandon494
08-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Here is a guy that cost himself millions of dollars by not coming out as a junior. He was a can't miss prospect with great size, speed, and could cover. Then his senior year rolled around, he didn't have the pieces around him and his lack of instincts and football ability was glaring. Everyone gets a hard on for a safety that is over 6-2, 220 pounds that can run, butt the reality is that these guys weren't athletic enough or smart enough to play cornerback or linebacker. Guys that play safety that are this size are tweeners that lack something.

Except for Sean Taylor, sucks his life was taken so soon.

Lurker64
08-05-2011, 12:17 AM
I wonder if a good coaching staff could beef him up and turn him into a linebacker.

He would project well as an LB actually, if you could teach him how to tackle. He'd still be a pretty linear athlete though. His hips are stiff even for an LB.

Patler
08-05-2011, 01:33 AM
He would project well as an LB actually, if you could teach him how to tackle. He'd still be a pretty linear athlete though. His hips are stiff even for an LB.

I don't know. If you take him away from CBs and other safeties; and don't line him up against WRs; I think he looks a lot different, comparatively. Many linebackers look stiff compared to the DBs behind them. I'm not expecting pro bowl play, but maybe at least serviceable. Tackling is an issue. He hit people, and hit them hard; but mostly without technique.

Lurker64
08-05-2011, 01:38 AM
I don't know. If you take him away from CBs and other safeties; and don't line him up against WRs; I think he looks a lot different, comparatively. Many linebackers look stiff compared to the DBs behind them. I'm not expecting pro bowl play, but maybe at least serviceable. Tackling is an issue. He hit people, and hit them hard; but mostly without technique.

The position switch is just too much of a project at this point in his career, but I would be intrigued if, in an alternate history, Pete Carroll would have decided he'd make a better LB than a Safety. At this point we're talking about a 2-3 year project, and what would be the point of that? His tackling technique is some of the worst I've seen. For a while in his senior season at USC he behaved as though he was only allowed to tackle with his elbows.

rbaloha1
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
The position switch is just too much of a project at this point in his career, but I would be intrigued if, in an alternate history, Pete Carroll would have decided he'd make a better LB than a Safety. At this point we're talking about a 2-3 year project, and what would be the point of that? His tackling technique is some of the worst I've seen. For a while in his senior season at USC he behaved as though he was only allowed to tackle with his elbows.

"Poor tackling technique" was due to playing with injuries. Should not have been playing but needed to show NFL toughness. Yes -- hips are too stiff to change direction with NFL skill players.

TM needs to be closer to the line of scrimmage in the NFL. Maybe a linebacker/safety on third down. Again worth low level picks and/or backup secondary player.

K-town
08-05-2011, 09:55 AM
Wasn't there a safety who came out some years back, maybe drafted by the Panthers (Thomas Davis?), who was converted to linebacker? How'd that turn out? I seem to remember it was initially successful. Or possibly, my rapidly advancing senility has overtaken me.

sharpe1027
08-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Bringing him in would not get me excited, tight hips and all.

There are reasons the 49ers don't want him anymore. Doesn't mean that he is doomed to fail, but it is a very bad sign. If he could fill a position of major concern, he would be worth considering. As it is, I don't see it as worth the effort.

smuggler
08-05-2011, 11:21 AM
yeah, Thomas Davis was a success story in that vein, but he's had injury issues.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2011, 12:23 PM
Wasn't there a safety who came out some years back, maybe drafted by the Panthers (Thomas Davis?), who was converted to linebacker? How'd that turn out? I seem to remember it was initially successful. Or possibly, my rapidly advancing senility has overtaken me.

He was supposed to be the next big thing at safety, but he had to be moved to the weakside after he was drafted. His coverage in space wasn't good enough for the nifffle.

LP
08-06-2011, 02:09 PM

I may be wrong, but wasn't Brian Urlacher a safety in college? He's turned into an OK player despite being a Chicago Douchebear.

rbaloha1
08-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I may be wrong, but wasn't Brian Urlacher a safety in college? He's turned into an OK player despite being a Chicago Douchebear.

Yes -- good recall. Returned kicks as well. TM is a project that maybe needs to time to heal.

gbgary
08-06-2011, 05:03 PM
this should be ultimate proof that he sucks and wasn't worth our draft pick

i guess so. i remember lots of folks were hot for this guy.