PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green to Retire as a Packer

vince
08-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Ahman Green was on Green and Gold Today with Jason Wilde this morning and said he's going to contact the Packers today and ask to sign a one-day contract so he can retire as a Packer.

He said he regrets signing with the Texans a few years back and wishes he would have stayed with his team. He's working with highschoolers in Depere.

Here's an old video I put together a couple years back in his honor.

http://vimeo.com/6943638

There haven't been many as big and fast as Ahman.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Why would he need to do that? He came back to the Packers after he was with the Texans, so his last NFL team was the Packers.

vince
08-05-2011, 10:35 AM
To get some pub and recognition probably.

red
08-05-2011, 10:53 AM
awesome news

make it happen pack

smuggler
08-05-2011, 11:12 AM
Ahman... <=3

Lurker64
08-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm kind of glad he didn't sign with the Packers instead of Houston. Whoever signed him would have been wasting a bunch of money, given how he performed towards the end of his career. If somebody is going to waste money, let it be a non-Packers team.

Still, I'm happy to have him as an alumnus and I hope they can get the 30-second contract in place so he can retire with the team.

sheepshead
08-05-2011, 11:17 AM
I love Ahman but this whole"retire as a whatever" is pretty stupid.

red
08-05-2011, 11:26 AM
I'm kind of glad he didn't sign with the Packers instead of Houston. Whoever signed him would have been wasting a bunch of money, given how he performed towards the end of his career. If somebody is going to waste money, let it be a non-Packers team.

Still, I'm happy to have him as an alumnus and I hope they can get the 30-second contract in place so he can retire with the team.

didn't he get hurt pretty bad that first year with the texans?

either way, he was very near the end of the line for a RB when he left green bay

Fritz
08-05-2011, 11:50 AM
I think if the Packers are going to do this they ought to make Ahman go through a day of practice in pads, just for old times' sake.

MadtownPacker
08-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Proof Ahman is doing the right thing.

Good the hear. Wish I could see him break a bunch of tackles and take one to the house on last time.

sharpe1027
08-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Why would he need to do that? He came back to the Packers after he was with the Texans, so his last NFL team was the Packers.

IDK. Maybe because technically he would be retiring as an Alouette rather than a Packer?

Scott Campbell
08-05-2011, 12:19 PM
This is great PR for the team. Welcome home Ahman.

Lurker64
08-05-2011, 12:56 PM
didn't he get hurt pretty bad that first year with the texans?

either way, he was very near the end of the line for a RB when he left green bay

Well, he was hurt a lot in Houston, I don't recall whether there was a major injury or just a lot of little things.

But still, last season demonstrated that there is no magical injury preventing quality that you can attribute to the helmet with the G in it, and if got was injured and/or constantly dinged up in Houston, it's not really reasonable to assume that more or less the same wouldn't have happened if he stayed in Green Bay.

Patler
08-05-2011, 05:05 PM

No, its not stupid. It was explained one time that every retired player is listed in the league office with a team affiliation. Lists of players are provided under team designations. As a result, players like to be included with the team they identify most closely with. However, the default is the player is listed under the last team he had a contract with. For Green, that should be the Packers anyway, I think.

If you were Ahman Green, would you want to be listed with the Packers or the Texans?

Which brings up an interesting question relating to a former Packer QB, if he has filed his retirement papers as was claimed. Will he forever be listed with the Vikings in the league offices?

sheepshead
08-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Soooo Its because of some file in a filing cabinet in New York? I get the gesture but it seems meaningless to me. Another thing for forums to get pissed at players about. Like which hat youll wear in Cooperstown. LOL I have seen people say" He's going in the hall as a Bear or as a Packer. No such thing exists in Canton obviously.

Lurker64
08-05-2011, 07:34 PM
No, its not stupid. It was explained one time that every retired player is listed in the league office with a team affiliation. Lists of players are provided under team designations.

Does that mean that, in the eyes of the NFL, that Brett Favre is a Viking from now until eternity?

Patler
08-05-2011, 10:41 PM
No, its not stupid. It was explained one time that every retired player is listed in the league office with a team affiliation. Lists of players are provided under team designations. As a result, players like to be included with the team they identify most closely with. However, the default is the player is listed under the last team he had a contract with. For Green, that should be the Packers anyway, I think.

If you were Ahman Green, would you want to be listed with the Packers or the Texans?

Which brings up an interesting question relating to a former Packer QB, if he has filed his retirement papers as was claimed. Will he forever be listed with the Vikings in the league offices?

Does that mean that, in the eyes of the NFL, that Brett Favre is a Viking from now until eternity?

Now there you go using his name! Great, now this thread will get banished! I asked the same thing, but at least tried to be coy about it. But you? Nope. You just had to use the "F" word!!! :lol: :lol:

Patler
08-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Soooo Its because of some file in a filing cabinet in New York? I get the gesture but it seems meaningless to me. Another thing for forums to get pissed at players about. Like which hat youll wear in Cooperstown. LOL I have seen people say" He's going in the hall as a Bear or as a Packer. No such thing exists in Canton obviously.

It's doesn't have to be meaningful to you, me or any other fan. It's meaningful to some of the players.
What does what some people think about the HOF have to do with what I wrote, or this thread in general?

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2011, 10:54 PM

I agree with what you are saying, but Green played with us again after he played for the Texans, right? So, this move was unnecessary. Or did he play for somebody after he played for us again? I don't remember him doing so.

3irty1
08-05-2011, 11:19 PM
I agree with what you are saying, but Green played with us again after he played for the Texans, right? So, this move was unnecessary. Or did he play for somebody after he played for us again? I don't remember him doing so.

He played with that UFL team, maybe that counts in his mind.

gbgary
08-06-2011, 12:43 AM
always loved ahman. Packers HOFer for sure.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2011, 12:50 AM
He played with that UFL team, maybe that counts in his mind.

Maybe, but I'm not sure why. The UFL isn't the NFL. I'm sure he'll have other jobs post-NFL. His last NFL contract was with the Packers, right? If he bags groceries at Rainbow for his next job, will he have to sign another contract with the Packers after that's done? :)

gbgary
08-06-2011, 12:57 AM

he wants to retire as a Packer. got to be a Packer to retire as a Packer.

MJZiggy
08-06-2011, 07:25 AM

Good point.

Patler
08-06-2011, 08:47 AM

Yup, that's what I said already. You don't need to convince me. I doubt the USFL has anything to do with it.

pbmax
08-06-2011, 09:06 AM
This thread is proof that good ideas should never be surrendered to a committee :)

smuggler
08-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Hear, hear! pbmax!

Smidgeon
08-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I miss watching Ahman play. He always had the potential to break a game wide open. Always a threat to score from anywhere.

Yoop
08-08-2011, 01:27 PM

this makes way to much sense, you do know this tread could have lasted at least another page without your comment gbgary, your being counter productive to the forum, laughs.

VermontPackFan
08-08-2011, 02:09 PM
I think if the Packers are going to do this they ought to make Ahman go through a day of practice in pads, just for old times' sake.

Or at least make him pass the conditioning test...

Noodle
08-08-2011, 02:38 PM
This needs to happen. He's the all-time leading rusher in yards for the Packers. This should be an easy call for management.

Kiwon
08-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Good move on Ahman's part. The former Packer circuit will be $$$$ for him in the future.

gbgary
08-08-2011, 05:01 PM
this makes way to much sense, you do know this tread could have lasted at least another page without your comment gbgary, your being counter productive to the forum, laughs.

dang it!

woodbuck27
08-09-2011, 01:52 AM
Ahman Green was in Montreal this year and signed to try out for the 2 time defending grey Cup Champion Montreal Alouettes.

The BIG Story for the Alouettes besides the potential 3-peat. Is their outstanding QB Anthony Calvillo, whos just under 2500 yards shy ( 2485 I believe ) of breaking Damon Allens (brother of Marcus Allen) record for total career yards passing. He's already set the records for most pass completions and TD's passing. Calvillo had played 5 less seasons than Allen that makes his accomplishments in the CFL really special.

Packers4Glory
08-09-2011, 06:59 AM
After having a bunch of crappy RB's when I was growing up, its nice to see a line of good RB's going back to the mid 90's...non better than Ahman. Sorry Dorsey!

Smidgeon
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
After having a bunch of crappy RB's when I was growing up, its nice to see a line of good RB's going back to the mid 90's...non better than Ahman. Sorry Dorsey!

I'm too lazy to read back to see who said it, but I'd put Green up against almost anyone too. I think he's very similar to AP and it's a virtual wash between the two...

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 01:13 PM
I look forward to breaking my Green jersey one last time. One of the best running backs I have had the pleasure to watch live! I would love to see him give a locker room talk on how it felt to get close to the SB to show how important each year is.

Woodbuck, as an aside Calvillo is an amazing player whom after the last two Grey Cups I really wish did not play. GO RIDERS!

digitaldean
08-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Read tonight that Ahman Green will be a sideline reporter for Big Ten Network now that Nebraska is in. Be nice to see how he does.