PDA

View Full Version : Friends of the Beast - James Starks fan club

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 12:58 PM
It's time. All the packerrats with vision who see that Starks is going to be a special player need to band together and make a joyous noise. Reports out of training camp are glowing, the new Adrian Peterson has arrived. I think you'll see at Saturday night's scrimmage that Starks is completely untackleable.

The Friends of the Beast is a big-hearted, big-tent organization. Even the ninnies who are laughably projecting James to be a third down back will find room on the bandwagon. After a sincere apology, of course.

Now accepting applications for club officers.

mraynrand
08-05-2011, 01:13 PM
Beast? Racist.

http://www.superiorpics.com/wenn_album/Kelsey_Grammer_-_X-Men_Teletubby/Kelsey_Grammer_001_052406.jpg

Freak Out
08-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I tried to give Harlan some positive rep for his awesome post.....but alas I was thwarted by this horrible software.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Patrick Ewing was the original Beast. Do they call AP "the Beast"? That's OK, we can steal the nickname.

Scott Campbell
08-05-2011, 01:57 PM
It's time. All the packerrats with vision who see that Starks is going to be a special player need to band together and make a joyous noise. Reports out of training camp are glowing, the new Adrian Peterson has arrived. I think you'll see at Saturday night's scrimmage that Starks is completely untackleable.

The Friends of the Beast is a big-hearted, big-tent organization. Even the ninnies who are laughably projecting James to be a third down back will find room on the bandwagon. After a sincere apology, of course.

Now accepting applications for club officers.

Last time you did this poor Samkon Gado was jinxed into obscurity.

Deputy Nutz
08-05-2011, 04:17 PM
I am not a huge fan of Starks. He might prove me wrong, but it just seemed like he had the fresh pair of legs at the end of the season. He isn't anything spectacular but we haven't had that since Green was in his prime.

HarveyWallbangers
08-05-2011, 04:26 PM
He's no Ahman, but not many people have been as good as Ahman in his prime. I think he was a bit underrated by non-Packer fans. I like Starks. He reminds me of Eddie George. However, unless he changes his upright running style, I doubt he'll last long.

Brandon494
08-05-2011, 05:07 PM
Starks will be our starting RB next season if that means anything.

3irty1
08-05-2011, 06:05 PM
I'll put Ahman Green in his prime against literally anyone. Starks is all you need but if he's going to be really special he's going to have to show us those hands that everyone's always raving about.

Joemailman
08-05-2011, 06:26 PM
He's no Ahman, but not many people have been as good as Ahman in his prime. I think he was a bit underrated by non-Packer fans. I like Starks. He reminds me of Eddie George. However, unless he changes his upright running style, I doubt he'll last long.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/126847423.html

New and improved, Starks has had a strong camp so far. He has been decisive, all while playing with a lower center of gravity. To avoid injury, he knows that's key.

Looks like he's at least aware of the need to play lower. We;ll see if he can do it.

Yoop
08-05-2011, 06:32 PM
I heard Starks has worked on a lower running technique, and added some weight, He does remind of Eddie George though, that upright style leaves ya un protected, so getting those shoulders down a tad could help avoid injury, who knows, nice to have a choice at RB period.

MadtownPacker
08-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Last time you did this poor Samkon Gado was jinxed into obscurity.Beat me to it. Sam's Club right?

Brando19
08-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Beat me to it. Sam's Club right?

Yes, I think that's where samkon is working now.

3irty1
08-05-2011, 08:22 PM
In HH's defense Samkon Gado went on to save a Dolphin's season afterwards as well. He's like the Christian Bale of running backs--he's kinda shitty on his own but if you need your franchise resurrected he's your man.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 09:01 PM
He isn't anything spectacular

He's no Ahman, but not many people have been .

next season .

if he's going to be really special he's going to have to show us those hands .

We;ll see if he can do it.

who knows, nice to have a choice at RB period.

This is the fucking fan club!? More like a bunch of whining little league dads.

OK, fair enough, maybe it will take a few preseason games to light the fire. Not everybody has The Gift to spot talent before it is obvious.

Joemailman
08-05-2011, 09:03 PM

OK, fair enough, maybe it will take a few preseason games to light the fire. Not everybody has The Gift to spot talent before it is obvious.

Your hero hasn't played a full season of football since 2008. Let's see if he's more durable than Justin Harrell before we get too excited.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 09:06 PM

Hey, the guy hung on in the NFL for 6 seasons, which is measured like dog years compared to other careers.
He's the Terrell Buckley of running backs.

BZnDallas
08-05-2011, 09:11 PM
I'll be in the fan club HH... i like your AP comparison... i have a vikings roommate (and a bears roommate... F'n nutz!) and if i could use the AP comparison with starks against my roommate it would be greatness!... i love ragging on both of them... had that christian ponder interception highlight video up and showed it to him as if it was a real highlight video... he stormed out of the room... anyway... count me in for the James Starks FAN CLUB!!!

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 09:16 PM
God Bless you BZnDallas. What do you got that they ain't got? - courage. Plenty of room to grow, we have our management nucleus.

President: BZnDAllas
Membership Chair: Harlan Huckleby

bobblehead
08-05-2011, 09:18 PM

Here goes. I like his upright, slow to the hole style ending with a burst upfield...reminds me of marshall faulk. I expect 2000 all purpose yards from starks this year....which is why I wanted to cut GRant and that big salary.

Harlan Huckleby
08-05-2011, 09:22 PM
very strong, Bobblehead, intimidating even

Sargeant at Arms: Bobblehead

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-05-2011, 10:29 PM
Yo I think Starks is a freakin baller. Sign my ass up.

3irty1
08-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Well Harlan if you're going to ask me to put my neck out somewhere it might as well be for Starks.

The guy is a fantastic system fit. He's got the burst and vision of Ryan Grant but with more cutting ability and enough long speed to hit home runs. When you factor in his alleged usefulness in the passing game, Starks should have a clear lean on Grant. I won't predict how good he'll be but I'll say that he'll be good enough to keep good running backs off the field. I'll say 250+ attempts and 40 catches for Starks this season.

After all he built a running game in a cave with a box of scraps.

gbgary
08-06-2011, 01:17 AM
i don't have a problem with his running style. eddy george, eric dickerson, ap, and others ran like that. starks will be the man.

MJZiggy
08-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Add me in too. You'll recall I was on the Samkon wagon. Samkon was always a bit of a long shot, let's see if Starks can make defenders cry. That would be nice.

vince
08-06-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm a fan. As long as Starks is healthy, I think he's going to be very hard to keep off the field. Starks runs upright in the open field, but he does a good job getting low and finishing at the point of contact. Given that it looks like there will be a platoon of running backs, that will hurt all of their production obviously, but should keep them fresher through the season and the rest of their careers.

pbmax
08-06-2011, 09:19 AM

Marcus Allen and Eric Dickerson would beg to differ, but they are busy getting ready for the Hall of Fame ceremonies this weekend.

pbmax
08-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Sam's club has physicians now?

Yoop
08-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Here goes. I like his upright, slow to the hole style ending with a burst upfield...reminds me of marshall faulk. I expect 2000 all purpose yards from starks this year....which is why I wanted to cut GRant and that big salary.

haha, hey we all know you said the 2000 all purpose yards thingie to influence Harlan to award you the Sargent of Arms gig, where's that finger pointing emoticon when ya need it lol.

in fact are there any emoticons here? haven't seen any yet, help.

vince
08-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Click "Go Advanced" where you reply Yoop.

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Given the difficult economic times, we'll keep a lean & mean management structure.

PaCkFan_n_MD
3irty1
gbgary
MJZiggy
vince

Grant doesn't have to have a bad year for Starks to shine, they can coexist.

Special honor is given to the early adopters, yet new members will always welcome! Its understandable that some people want to see Starks in action before believing - that's what the preseason is for. Afterwards, a short speech of contrition will be required for admission to the club.

Bossman641
08-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Given the difficult economic times, we'll keep a lean & mean management structure.

PaCkFan_n_MD
3irty1
gbgary
MJZiggy
vince

Grant doesn't have to have a bad year for Starks to shine, they can coexist.

Special honor is given to the early adopters, yet new members will always welcome! Its understandable that some people want to see Starks in action before believing - that's what the preseason is for. Afterwards, a short speech of contrition will be required for admission to the club.

Give me 1-2 preseason games to see him in action. IMO, he didn't look "special" last year but was more than likely rusty.

I'll start preparing my speech now.

mission
08-06-2011, 04:47 PM
I've been in the fan club since I saw his YouTube highlights! Definitely sign me on here. He'll be carrying more than Grant by year's end and I wont be surprised if it's a lot sooner.

mission
08-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Add me in too. You'll recall I was on the Samkon wagon. Samkon was always a bit of a long shot, let's see if Starks can make defenders cry. That would be nice.

It should help Starks that I always thought Gado was a complete waste. :lol:

rbaloha1
08-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Starks is impressive. Should be the #1.

HarveyWallbangers
08-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Anybody have some links to videos of him this camp?

I've been on the Starks bandwagon since I watched his college videos. I was actually only mildly impressed with him last year because I was expecting more. However, I held out hope that he'd improve with full health. Sounds like that might be the case

Bretsky
08-07-2011, 08:21 AM
hh...u r a good cheerleader

Harlan Huckleby
08-07-2011, 10:22 AM
http://mrsec.com/pics/george-w-bush-cheerleader.jpg

G.W. is my inspiration

OK, we have 12 disciples now, exactly what Jesus started out with. (Harvey is half in/half out, so he will serve as Judas.) After a few miracles the flock will grow, millionss will gather on Sundays to worship Him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
3irty1
gbgary
MJZiggy
vince
mission
rbaloha1
Yoop
Harvey Wallbanger

Bretsky
08-07-2011, 10:44 AM
God Help Starks

Started by Harlan, and once Ziggy joined this thing poor guy was doomed

BZnDallas
08-07-2011, 10:57 AM
http://mrsec.com/pics/george-w-bush-cheerleader.jpg

G.W. is my inspiration

OK, we have 12 disciples now, exactly what Jesus started out with. (Harvey is half in/half out, so he will serve as Judas.) After a few miracles the flock will grow, millionss will gather on Sundays to worship Him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
3irty1
gbgary
MJZiggy
vince
mission
rbaloha1
Yoop
Harvey Wallbanger

thats a great start to the fan club!!!... like they say... if you build it, they will come!!!

Smidgeon
08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm a fan. As long as Starks is healthy, I think he's going to be very hard to keep off the field. Starks runs upright in the open field, but he does a good job getting low and finishing at the point of contact. Given that it looks like there will be a platoon of running backs, that will hurt all of their production obviously, but should keep them fresher through the season and the rest of their careers.

I do seem to recall Starks getting low enough when finishing runs that he'd scoot beneath tacklers for another three or four yards whilst falling forward. Runs upright, but knows how to get down <insert disco dancing picture here>.

RashanGary
08-08-2011, 05:07 PM
I do seem to recall Starks getting low enough when finishing runs that he'd scoot beneath tacklers for another three or four yards whilst falling forward. Runs upright, but knows how to get down <insert disco dancing picture here>.

Starks looks like a really good player. He runs a lot like Grant with maybe a little less toughness but a little more shake. He was a great pass catcher in college, but didn't have time to really pick up the passing playbook in year one. I like his overall game a little more than Grant.

He's not nearly as powerful as Adrian Peterson. He's not amazing at making guys miss. He looks really well rounded though.

Runs pretty hard, falls forward
Decisive, instinctive
Pretty fast
Makes guys miss
Breaks tackles alright
I think catching the ball is something he'll be great at going forward.

He looks like a really good player.

rbaloha1
08-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Starks looks like a really good player. He runs a lot like Grant with maybe a little less toughness but a little more shake. He was a great pass catcher in college, but didn't have time to really pick up the passing playbook in year one. I like his overall game a little more than Grant.

He's not nearly as powerful as Adrian Peterson. He's not amazing at making guys miss. He looks really well rounded though.

Runs pretty hard, falls forward
Decisive, instinctive
Pretty fast
Makes guys miss
Breaks tackles alright
I think catching the ball is something he'll be great at going forward.

He looks like a really good player.

Lets remember the dude was recovering from a hamstring injury that forced him to miss 2 years.

Appears fully recovered with added muscle. Reminds of AP with less power. Displayed ballerina feet with a fast acceleration in a few steps during the scrimmage (I know it was a non-tackling scrimmage).

Brian Billick loved Starks as a junior -- labeled him a first round talent.

Its Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett all over again except with more speed.

Joemailman
08-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Lets remember the dude was recovering from a hamstring injury that forced him to miss 2 years.

Appears fully recovered with added muscle. Reminds of AP with less power. Displayed ballerina feet with a fast acceleration in a few steps during the scrimmage (I know it was a non-tackling scrimmage).

Brian Billick loved Starks as a junior -- labeled him a first round talent.

Its Dorsey Levens and Edgar Bennett all over again except with more speed.

The hamstring injury occurred last year. He missed his entire senior year with a shoulder injury. He looks like a very good player if he can stay healthy.

Iron Mike
08-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Patrick Ewing was the original Beast. Do they call AP "the Beast"? That's OK, we can steal the nickname.

Isn't he still called "Purple Jesus??"

pbmax
08-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Isn't he still called "Purple Jesus??"

Yes, but its not used frequently in most media since I think its a open and shut case of blasphemy. And no talking hairdo wants to get his knuckles rapped by the nun with a ruler.

But I think his Approved for All Audiences nickname is All Day.

Iron Mike
08-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I think his Approved for All Audiences nickname is All Day.

Bah. The last time I remember him on the national stage, all he did "All Day" was fumble the game away.....

Put him in the "Overrated" basket with Urlacher.

mission
08-08-2011, 09:16 PM
There's no way he runs with less toughness than Grant, JH. Typo??

Brandon494
08-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Bah. The last time I remember him on the national stage, all he did "All Day" was fumble the game away.....

Put him in the "Overrated" basket with Urlacher.

hater alert

mraynrand
08-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Sam's club has physicians now?

Sounds pretty much like where a fourth string Physician would end up working. "Hi, I'm Dr. Gado. Remove your trousers and I'll give you that rectal polyp exam for only 19.99"

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/SamkonMD.jpg

mraynrand
08-08-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm 'on board' for the Starks fan club, except I hate joining clubs. Let's just say I like the old 'Stark Plug' and wish him well.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
"Stark Plug" NICE! Just put me on the 'application in process' pile. I love what I have seen, but fear I won't see enough of it based on injuries. Man, I sound like a placebo at an 'uppers' pharmaceutical sales conference.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Jim, Jim, Jim - what can you say about him!? The fan club was thrilled to see JS running with authority, making cuts like OJ. (that doesn't sound so good, but you old people know what I mean.)

Don't want to start a war, but Starks looks like the stud in the backfield this year.

pbmax
08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
The studly beast twisted his ankle last night.

Harlan Huckleby
08-14-2011, 03:16 PM
walking without a limp after game - I spoke to his mom and he'll be ok

RashanGary
08-14-2011, 03:21 PM
I like Starks more, but Grant is proven durable. I'm gonna bet Grant gets more yards this year. Grant looked fast and explosive too.

mission
08-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I like Starks more, but Grant is proven durable. I'm gonna bet Grant gets more yards this year. Grant looked fast and explosive too.

$20, paypal with escrow? ;)