PDA

View Full Version : O-LINE ANALYSIS. VERY INTERESTING (at least I think so).

gbpackfan
08-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Okay, I just got done watching the Packers first team O-line on TiVo. I did a very simple evaluation of the Packers O-line, just like the one I completed after watching family night several times over. The evaluation process is this; I watch Wells, Colledge and Spitz on every play. I watch only one player at a time, rewind and then watch someone new. If I believe they did a good job, the get a +, if they do a crappy job then they get a -. I then added up the totals and here are the results. Note: + does not mean the play went for positive yards, it just means the O-Linemen completed their task.

The starting O-line ran 20 plays together. Of those 20 plays, 6 were runs and 14 were passes.

OVERALL

Wells: 18 of 20 plays were positive or 90%
Colledge: 15 of 20 plays were positive or 75%
Spitz: 18 of 20 plays were positive or 90%

PASS PLAYS

Wells: 14 of 14 were positive, or 100%
Colledge: 10 of 14 were positive, or 71%
Spitz: 14 of 14 were positive, or 100%

RUN PLAYS

Wells: 4 of 6 were positive, or 67%
Colledge: 5 of 6 were positive, or 83%
Spitz: 4 of 6 were positive, or 67%

FIRST 10 plays vs. the SECOND 10 plays

1st 10 plays

6 negative plays were made by Wells, Colledge or Spitz.

2nd 10 plays

3 negative plays were made by Wells, Colledge or Spitz. So their play did improve as the game went on.

After watching the O-line play and crunching the numbers, several things were extremly obvious.

1. You may be asking yourself "those numbers sound pretty good, how come Favre was on his back so much?" Well, it is because Franks, Taush (twice), Henderson and Davenport all whiffed on crucial blocks that either got Brett hit or sacked. It wasnt all the interior O-line, the vets are rusty!

2. Spitz is better then Colledge at this point.

3. D. Colledge is over-powered in pass protection A LOT. He gets pushed back a lot. Even when he earned a + he was barely hanging on or getting help from Wells.

4. The line play did improve as the game went on.

5. If Clifton goes down, Favre is going to get KILLED! Coston doesnt have it at LT!

6. The 3-4 D confused the o-line and the Chargers blitzed a lot! Game planning would have helped.

Take the info. for what it's worth, which is probably nothing! :lol:

BananaMan
08-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Nice job.

Chargers are the second best blitzing team in the NFL (Steelers first, barely). I think that has to count for something. And playing against a 3-4 is something they don't do very much.

I'm not saying that we should just excuse the performance of the OL, as it obviously was quite poor. But it wasn't THAT bad, considering all the circumstances.

gbpackfan
08-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I agree. I am NOT trying to make excuses and if it comes accross that way I didnt mean it to. The 3-4 D and the blitzes really seemed to catch them off guard. There isnt a ton of game planning that goes into these games, so I am not surprised by that. However, they need to play WAY better in the future. Last night was completely UNACCEPTABLE!

BananaMan
08-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Yeah, I'm going to hold off on making a total judgement of the team until after the Bears game.

RashanGary
08-13-2006, 09:38 AM
NICE!!!!

THANKS MAN!!!!

BallHawk
08-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Interesting. Good work, GBPF.

Bretsky
08-13-2006, 09:46 AM
GB,

I can't say I watched anything on TIVO, but to me your results are shocking.
I'd have a hard time being that optomistic when I look at the holes GB was opening up for Davenport and Gado. I do agree that things improved; that was possilbly due to SD pulling starters and substituting in earlier as well.

Collectively they had 9 rushes for 18 yards; if they were successful then you must be implying there were holes there and the RB missed them. I didn't see that last night. There were also multiple pressures and a total of 5 sacks. To me the stats add up to a terrible performance by out OL.

Bretsky

Fosco33
08-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I posted this elsewhere but it seems more appropriate on this thread....

Ok, so I'm rewatching the game right now after watching it from the nose bleeds at Qualcomm...

On Favre's sacks, the Oline held up reasonably well.

1. Davenpoop missed a key block vs. Cooper (he made a poor attempt to push from behind and went out for a pass). Colledge didn't block well on the play, but if Pooper would've picked up the blitzing LBer, Brett would've had a second or two more to work with.

2. Packers just came from a timeout (after Brett got sacked). They went with 3-Wideout set (loaded to the right) and had plenty of time to recognize the Chargers were coming on a blitz (3 down lineman, 1 LBer on each end and loaded to their left with Wilhelm (Packers right). Chargers LOLB dropped into coverage- Wilhelm (ROLB) came on a blitz. Packers line played the pass with the Franks going en route and Pooper staying back to block (he picked up his man but was toppled by line pressure). Tauscher made a poor attempt to pick up Wilhelm on the blitz. It was enough time for Brett to make two checks (he could have hit the quick slant but wanted more - as he was in 2nd and 20 situation).

Packers went for three straight runs w/ Pooper and had to punt. I only mention this play b/c Sproles was injured on the return (go twisted up and bounced his head on the ground during the play). I went to grab some beer (damn expensive in SD ($7.50 for a Miller Lite).and overheard on a security guard's radio that an ambulance was needed (which would take forever to get to the stadium's 'parking lot' designed for 18000 spots (for a stadium that holds roughly 60,000) - forcing fans (like me) to walk up and down a huge hill to find a parking spot in the neighboring hill community.

It's important to note here that many people will bash the 1st string Oline's first game giving up two sacks and lots of QB pressure. Rivers was sacked twice in one series early in the 2nd quarter - who knows if you'll hear how weak their line was...

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 10:09 AM
Great work and it took alot of your time.

Thanks alot Packer fan. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!

KilrB
08-13-2006, 11:40 AM
San Diego being a great Blitzing team also knows how to play against our newly installed blocking scheme. They are in the same division as Denver they play against it twice a year.

Next week will be anouther good test for our Oline against the Falcons. They should know all the tricks to working this system as well. They will definantly bring out the weaknesses in the line. It wont be pretty, but I am glad we have the chance to do this when they dont count.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 12:15 PM
In pass blocking the problems were from the outside guys. On Brett's sacks, Tauscher gave up one sack and the other sack came from the left outside by a blitzing LB, Stephen Cooper. On Rodgers sacks, Coston was clearly responsible for two of them. We didn't run the ball that well, but I thought it had more to do with a indecisive and plodding Najeh Davenport. He looked horrible.

gbpackfan
08-13-2006, 04:19 PM
GB,

I can't say I watched anything on TIVO, but to me your results are shocking.
I'd have a hard time being that optomistic when I look at the holes GB was opening up for Davenport and Gado. I do agree that things improved; that was possilbly due to SD pulling starters and substituting in earlier as well.

Collectively they had 9 rushes for 18 yards; if they were successful then you must be implying there were holes there and the RB missed them. I didn't see that last night. There were also multiple pressures and a total of 5 sacks. To me the stats add up to a terrible performance by out OL.

Bretsky

Bretsky,

I DIDN'T BELIEVE THE STATS EITHER! After watching the game live, I was pissed at the interior of the O-line. But if you really watch every play over and over, you will see that the interior of the line wasn't horrific (like I originally thought). The problem was blitz pick up. Don't get me wrong, Spitz did make a couple mistakes and Colledge did get pushed around in pass protection, but it wasn't the constant jail break that I thought it was. Colledge may need to be replaced until he can get stronger. And they need to work on blitz protection!

TOP HAT
08-13-2006, 04:43 PM
I AGREE...LET US WAIT FOR THE NEXT 3 PRESEASON GAMES FOR PROGRESS TO SEE HOW THE TWO NEW GUARDS, ESPECIALLY DC, WILL DO A PREVIEW OF THE SEASON. SO FAR, VERY PREDICTABLE.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Rastak
08-13-2006, 04:53 PM
I AGREE...LET US WAIT FOR THE NEXT 3 PRESEASON GAMES FOR PROGRESS TO SEE HOW THE TWO NEW GUARDS, ESPECIALLY DC, WILL DO A PREVIEW OF THE SEASON. SO FAR, VERY PREDICTABLE.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hey, greetings Top Hat....welcome to packerrats.

FavreChild
08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
Wow, very perplexing. That analysis is very helpful for those of us who are geographically challenged and couldn't see the game. (THANKS, gbp!) Don't know if I feel better or worse about the o-line, though....

Rastak
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Wow, very perplexing. That analysis is very helpful for those of us who are geographically challenged and couldn't see the game. (THANKS, gbp!) Don't know if I feel better or worse about the o-line, though....

Let me say this, if either Clifton or Tauscher (sp?) go down, the Packers are dead at this point. Harvey mentioned last night that they may get someone (if my beer soaked brain recalled correctly) before camp is over. I think they better.

FavreChild
08-13-2006, 05:45 PM
I know...you can see that one coming a mile away.

But can TT?

pbmax
08-13-2006, 05:47 PM
GBPF, great work. And it agrees with the half a dozen accounts I have read of the game, that each specifically mentioned 2 hits on Favre that were the fault of the RB failure on blitz pickup.

Which brings me to a point of concern, how do you evaluate this if you don't game plan a little more than what we apparently did?

Schottenheimer is crazy, and had anyone bothered to ask, I could have told you he would take this seriously and bring the entire defense.

McGinn mentioned Sanders took a series or two before he began to call for nickel defenses, this explained some bad coverages in the first drive.

McCarthy is test driving a new O Line and doesn't have them prepped for 3-4 blitzes? If it wasn't the guards, then can we blame ther preparation?

The coaches seem to have had a bad read on the team's readiness. And this reminds me of someone I had thought we replaced.

pbmax
08-13-2006, 05:48 PM
And when I say Schotenheimer is crazy, I mean it. This will be his best prepared game all year, everything else will go downhill.

FavreChild
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
McCarthy is test driving a new O Line and doesn't have them prepped for 3-4 blitzes? If it wasn't the guards, then can we blame ther preparation?

Yes, that's exactly what is so perplexing at this point. (I really mean "disturbing," but am trying to contain the feeling.)

The Leaper
08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
The OL wasn't fabulous last night...but considering it was the first NFL game for 2 of the guys on the line against quite possibly the best front 7 in football, I'm happy. Nearly all of the bad things I saw can be corrected with repetitions and experience. That is what preseason and rookies are all about.

I'm mildly encouraged...although I wasn't one who thought this was going to be a team contending for the playoffs. This team will be competitive.

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 06:08 PM
There is one thing improved from last year: they had very few penalties last night.

BooHoo
08-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the stats. The O-Line is the biggest question mark in my mind.

Patler
08-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Let me say this, if either Clifton or Tauscher (sp?) go down, the Packers are dead at this point. Harvey mentioned last night that they may get someone (if my beer soaked brain recalled correctly) before camp is over. I think they better.

Amazing how things change. A few months back I was very pleased with the situation at tackle with Clifton and Tauscher starting, Klemm and Barry as backups. Now Klemm and Barry are gone, Clifton is hobbling and Tauscher sort of stumbled out of the gate last night.

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 07:20 PM
:sad: Anyone got anymore chocolate? I seem to have eaten it all. Wait. There's the ice cream. Excuse me for a moment. :cry: :cry:

swede
08-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Thanks gbpf,

Your analysis was well-crafted and calming. All day long I was lamenting the sucky play from o-line and d-line against the Chargers, but I knew the PackerRats would talk me off the ledge.

Pre-season number one is in the books, and at the end of this season it counts for absolutely nothing except a chance to get better before the Bears game.

gbpackfan
08-13-2006, 08:44 PM
I hope it just a case of the Vets having a little rust and not them being completely prepared for the 3-4 blitz happy D the chargers run. Like I said before though, Colledge needs to pick it up!

BooHoo
08-13-2006, 08:48 PM
:sad: Anyone got anymore chocolate? I seem to have eaten it all. Wait. There's the ice cream. Excuse me for a moment. :cry: :cry:

I am a chocolate fan myself. I like ice cream even more. :lol:

wist43
08-13-2006, 09:13 PM

Feel worse... The whole team looked awful.

What's worse, is man for man, they simply got beat up by the Chargers... the Packers were clearly overmatched physically in every aspect of the game.

Granted, it was only the first preseason game, with many new players, a coaching staff, and a new offensive system - but, their "performance" was nothing short of embarrassing.

falco
08-13-2006, 09:17 PM
A lot was made about the fact that SD didn't play vanilla defense...the announcers commented on it and the sideline reporter asked MM about it going into the half.

In my mind thats not an excuse. I can vividly recall the same exact thing happening in the preseason game against SD last year...everyone lambasted the Chargers for playing aggressively. There's no excuse not be ready for it this year.

swede
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM
The more I think about this the more I remember the line being pushed back on most offensive plays. I think GBPF mentioned that the TIVO video showed some problems even when the interior line objectively accomplished their assignments. Now I'm worried again.

Is the ice cream helping at all, Zig, or should I go straight to that bag of Dove chocolates my wife doesn't think I know about?

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I think you need to go straight for the Dove. When you've finished it, leave your wife a note of apology and be sure that there is some love from Ben & Jerry with you when you get home from work tomorrow.

gbpackfan
08-13-2006, 09:35 PM
I am going to be worried if I don't see improvement in game 2. For now, I'll just chalk it up to a bad game. (yeah, that it's! That will make me feel better!!! :roll: )

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 09:37 PM
(yeah, that it's! That will make me feel better!!! :roll: )
Seriously, gbp, go for the chocolate. If I were cooking tonight we'd have had chocolate fondue for dinner. I suppose it's a good thing I wasn't but still.

RashanGary
08-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Feel worse... The whole team looked awful.

What's worse, is man for man, they simply got beat up by the Chargers... the Packers were clearly overmatched physically in every aspect of the game.

Granted, it was only the first preseason game, with many new players, a coaching staff, and a new offensive system - but, their "performance" was nothing short of embarrassing.

I agree Wist...I thought the Charges were much more physical than the Packers. I gave credit to Marty's team but maybe some of it should fall on the Packers for not being physical at all. The Chargers were aggresive and tough and the Packers were just weak. Hawk looked tough at times. Rodgers looked good. There were a few other bright spots. Overall though, San Diego just took it to us and made the Packers look like Sophmores playing Seniors. I don't think that gets fixed over night or even in one more off season. I'm going to stand by my 7-9 but 6-10 would make alot of sense. On the bright side, nobody in our division except maybe the Bears is that tough so we should win a couple battles of the pansies and everyone will think the Packers are about to turn the corner.

Terry
08-14-2006, 04:34 AM
I think you need to go straight for the Dove. When you've finished it, leave your wife a note of apology and be sure that there is some love from Ben & Jerry with you when you get home from work tomorrow.

If he's eating her chocolate, he might consider leaving his first alimony payment as well.

Rastak
08-14-2006, 05:49 AM
I am going to be worried if I don't see improvement in game 2. For now, I'll just chalk it up to a bad game. (yeah, that it's! That will make me feel better!!! :roll: )

I would imagine for Tex it was bad luck....anytime anything bad happens Tex calls it "luck".

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 07:54 AM

If he's eating her chocolate, he might consider leaving his first alimony payment as well.

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, if he leaves her without chocolate on the day she really needs it, alimony will be the least of his problems.

the_idle_threat
08-14-2006, 08:31 PM

I would imagine for Tex it was bad luck....anytime anything bad happens Tex calls it "luck".

http://yosemite-sam.net/Sam/Animation-Art/Sam-Art-High-Dive.jpg

Tex ... experiencing bad luck?

BooHoo
08-14-2006, 08:49 PM

You're right. I don't know what I was thinking. Actually, if he leaves her without chocolate on the day she really needs it, alimony will be the least of his problems.

The wife has her own stash of chocolate. So no problem with alimony. I like the dark chocolate the best. And yes, Dove is very good.

MJZiggy
08-14-2006, 09:08 PM
You're fine, BooHoo, but now I'm getting a little worried that we haven't heard from Swede. :shock: