PDA

View Full Version : HAve CD Music discs gone away?

Harlan Huckleby
08-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I was in a large Walgrens pharmacy today. Didn't have anything to listen to in the car, thought I'd buy some crappy CD that one finds in bins for $3.99. The sales clerk looked at me like I was out of mind - apparently they haven't sold CDs for years.

What happened!? I thought every high traffic general store had a CD bin for impulse shoppers. Oh ya, the guy at Walgrens did find a DVD of Elvis.

This experience tells me that CDs are no longer a mainstream item. Kids are MP3 children. Old people stopped buying CDs a while ago. I still buy the occasional CD on Amazon, I guess that is what is left of the biz.

MJZiggy
08-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Best Buy still has some. I prefer the CD only because I don't have to worry about the licensing and my car was the last year before the mp3 plug. I have a transmitter, but it's still antiquated.

swede
08-07-2011, 11:46 AM
You're going to get Patler feeling nostalgic for his 8-track again...

Reel to reel tapes, 45 rpm records, LP's, quadrophonic music systems, videotape cameras the size of a suitcase, laser discs, compact VHS, and now CD's...my dad was kicked in the face by the horse they used to plow the fields behind the slough...the times they are a-changing.

GrnBay007
08-07-2011, 01:50 PM
You're going to get Patler feeling nostalgic for his 8-track again...

Reel to reel tapes, 45 rpm records, LP's, quadrophonic music systems, videotape cameras the size of a suitcase, laser discs, compact VHS, and now CD's...my dad was kicked in the face by the horse they used to plow the fields behind the slough...the times they are a-changing.

I am going through old boxes that were stuck in my storage when we cleaned my mom and dad's house out. I found 45's and even a couple 8 tracks. (those belonged to my older sister though) :)

And talk about "the old days" I found a box that was full of old letters....yeah, the days before cell phones and emails. Back in the day when you wrote letters cause it was too expensive to be calling long distance. Kids had a nice laugh reading some old love notes. Yes,, the word "dork" was used a time or two. Brats! :)