PDA

View Full Version : CB Pat Lee

HarveyWallbangers
08-09-2011, 02:11 AM
I had kind of written him off, but I shouldn't be so hasty.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127288163.html

This is Lee's fourth year in the NFL, a contract year. He needs to have a good camp and he needs to have a good year before the Packers might consider re-signing him.

"He's had his best camp since I've been here," said cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. "He has turned the corner. I've been very pleased with his approach in the classroom and very pleased with his approach on the field. His technique is better. If he just continues to keep doing what he's been doing, he's going to give himself a great opportunity to climb up that ladder."

Packers4Glory
08-09-2011, 06:55 AM
I hope he has a good camp and sticks around. If him and Shields continue to develop then I won't be so worried about when Woodson hits a wall.

Brandon494
08-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Ah so he's finally showing improvement in a contract year, what a surprise! I have more faith in the rookie House then I do in Lee.

smuggler
08-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Well, it seems like we'd lose him next season whether or not he developed into a viable nickelback.

3irty1
08-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Guy is already a decent perimeter corner but I have a feeling there are other systems out there where he would feel more at home.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2011, 09:35 AM
Thats great news. Corner is one of the most valuable positions on the team and you can never have enough good ones. I wish he wasn't already 28 though.

vince
08-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Lee's problem, as he readily states in the article, is his availability. I've always thought he was the better corner between he and Underwood and he's been a good special teamer when available. I've wondered about his ability in Woodson's slot/rover/blitzing postion, but I'm not sure he'd make enough big plays for that role. He came from a system in college where he played almost exclusively press-man coverage if I recall correctly. Down the road, maybe Shields will end up in Wood's role and Lee/House can be effective on the outside with the sideline to help.

Patler
08-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I wish he wasn't already 28 though.

Then you will be pleased to hear that he is "only" 27! Birthday - 2/20/1984

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Then you will be pleased to hear that he is "only" 27! Birthday - 2/20/1984

Well now thats better :)

pbmax
08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Lee's problem, as he readily states in the article, is his availability. I've always thought he was the better corner between he and Underwood and he's been a good special teamer when available. I've wondered about his ability in Woodson's slot/rover/blitzing postion, but I'm not sure he'd make enough big plays for that role. He came from a system in college where he played almost exclusively press-man coverage if I recall correctly. Down the road, maybe Shields will end up in Wood's role and Lee/House can be effective on the outside with the sideline to help.

I think I have read similar projections for him, where he is far more natural outside than in.

rbaloha1
08-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Talented player in which the "light flicked on" during the super bowl.

As other posters mentioned -- contract year. PL has a good year and becomes too expensive.

Agree about House -- long with sneaky speed.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Lee has flashed moments of brilliance, but I am concerned about his ability to concentrate on his job for a whole game. After 3 years he should not just know his position, he should be confident when playing it and you can see some hestitation in play. Saying that, I am happy with this role as a 3rd/4th CB. He will never be a top level CB but plays the backup well. He is a good player for his pay and hope to see him stick for that reason.

Yoop
08-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Lee has flashed moments of brilliance, but I am concerned about his ability to concentrate on his job for a whole game. After 3 years he should not just know his position, he should be confident when playing it and you can see some hestitation in play. Saying that, I am happy with this role as a 3rd/4th CB. He will never be a top level CB but plays the backup well. He is a good player for his pay and hope to see him stick for that reason.

I dont know what he is paid, but he was a 2nd rounder, so therefore it's to much for the performance obtained, this is his 4th season, but it seems he was only available in parts of two seasons, that has curtailed his progress, I had high hopes for Lee, but he always seems injured, he needs to make a leap this year.

Deputy Nutz
08-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Lee is one of those guys that isn't going to get you killed. When he is healthy he will be a good special team contributor, a decent dime back, but he is never going to blow somebodies doors off. I don't have much of an opinion about him simply because he hasn't seen the field due to injury. He could have played two years ago, but he got hurt in preseason and he didn't have a roster spot so they put him on IR. Last year he found his way on the PUP or something of that effect, came back mid year or so and had a decent season in a reserve role. I think the Packers are going to role with Williams, Woodson, Shields, House, Lee, and Bush at corner, and probably go 3 deep at safety with Collins, Peprah, and Burnett.

The Packers are going to have to develop several of their current corners so they are ready for the responsiblity of actually playing on defensive downs. Woodson has a year or two left as a cornerback. Shields had a terrific season as a rookie, but I wouldn't trust him just yet as a full time starter in every Capers scheme. So that leaves veterans Bush and Lee, and rookie Devon House. House and Lee are realitively unknown, and untested. Bush has had his opportunities and seems to make a bigger impact as a special teams player than an every down corner. Bush has matured as a player and had a heck of a Super Bowl along with Lee, but if they can't play defense then this should be their last season with Packers.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Nutz, we have seen that Lee can play, and play well for short periods. To me that has value for a back up, which is what Lee is. Not everyone can be a Williams or Woodson.

Yoop, a 2nd rounder who is still in the league in the last year of their 1st contract is not overly expensive, $555,000 for 2011. Add to that he should be cheap to resign and that makes him a plus to the team IMO.

Patler
08-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Lee's contract was basically for four years of minimum salaries with an $840k signing bonus. I imagine he had various escalator clauses to bump his salary significantly if he played, but he obviously never met those.