PDA

View Full Version : Eagles and the cap

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 12:58 PM
So when I was watching all the eagles signings and dealings I though look out for them this year, but finally the eagles are imploding after a decade of really good / great teams. I though wrong. According to Peter King they still have just under 8 mil in cap room left and have the third youngest team in the league. So after stocking up a'la Dan Schnieder (sp?) they can still afford to resign key pieces in the future. Crap. Looks like we have a good 3-5 year rivalry in the making, like the colts - pats.

pbmax
08-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Later reports indicate Peter's math is off and one reporter Tweeted that an Eagles source indicated they had far less than $8 mil below the cap.

Many of their signees are on good contracts going forward, but there is a lot of age there. So bodies will lost flying off that roster again next year.

sharpe1027
08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Not sure how accurate this is, but it says $4,825,925:

http://www.eaglescap.com/

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 01:54 PM
4.8 mil is better that 7.8, but that still leaves them with room, not enough to extend Vick, but enough to sign a few lesser know keys to the team.

sharpe1027
08-09-2011, 02:01 PM
I wonder how they structured most of the big contracts they picked up this year. If they back-loaded the contracts to keep room this year, they could have some problems on the horizon. Let's not forget that they have a sticky situation with Jackson, who I imagine will be gone unless they have a lot of money to throw at him.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 02:12 PM
This year we saw a lot of 'cheap' signings due to a huge number of free agents. Next year might be different, if I am the eagles I jump on trying to resign Jackson, including using the 3mil 'loan' from next year, before the dust settles from this year.

bobblehead
08-09-2011, 02:27 PM
If they lose Vick and Jackson then the team is seriously hindered going forward. A good QB is vital in todays NFL.

Patler
08-09-2011, 03:05 PM
This year we saw a lot of 'cheap' signings due to a huge number of free agents. Next year might be different, if I am the eagles I jump on trying to resign Jackson, including using the 3mil 'loan' from next year, before the dust settles from this year.

I believe the 3 million "loan" can be used only to a max of 1 million per player for not more than 3 players.

pbmax
08-09-2011, 03:11 PM
One more thing about the Eagles' cap. It's not the league's number of $120.38 million per team. It is actually $125.58 million. That includes $2.2 million in what the league calls "reallocation credits'' from the last capped year, 2009, when the Eagles didn't spend to the cap, and the $3 million every team can borrow from a future cap year to support veteran player costs this season

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1UZ3tr6tQ

This is the best description of the other supplemental cap space (up to $3.5 million) available to teams. Sounds like this one is just a credit and does not need to be paid back like the $3 million available for vets.

Patler
08-09-2011, 04:26 PM
One more thing about the Eagles' cap. It's not the league's number of $120.38 million per team. It is actually $125.58 million. That includes $2.2 million in what the league calls "reallocation credits'' from the last capped year, 2009, when the Eagles didn't spend to the cap, and the $3 million every team can borrow from a future cap year to support veteran player costs this season

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1UZ3tr6tQ (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/08/tour/index.html#ixzz1UZ3tr6tQ)

This is the best description of the other supplemental cap space (up to $3.5 million) available to teams. Sounds like this one is just a credit and does not need to be paid back like the $3 million available for vets.

That's very interesting, especially the "reallocation credits" part of it. During the last capped season, it was widely written and discussed that teams that did not use their salary-cap would likely lose it. Many believed there would be no rolling forward of unused salary-cap. Early in the 2009 season the Packers were very much below the salary cap. I wonder how much they might have gotten in "reallocation credits" for this season.

Patler
08-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Just found an article from mid September, 2009, that indicated the Packers had about $20 million in cap space at that time. I don't know who they extended during the 20090season, but presumably they could have a substantial "reallocation credit" for 2011.

mission
08-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Their #1 WR makes jack and their starting QB doesn't make starting QB money.

That's the only reason they could splurge this year. Now or never.

sharpe1027
08-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Their #1 WR makes jack and their starting QB doesn't make starting QB money.

That's the only reason they could splurge this year. Now or never.

I think Vick counts for $16mil. Even their backup counts for $4mil.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 05:55 PM
So does the 4.8 mil in unused cap room include the reallocation credit (i'm being lazy and not reading the article, sorry)? If not 4.8 mil plus 3 mil loan plus 5 ish mil reallocation, they could offer a significant contract to Jackson without really hurting next years position, as the 3 mil would be spent on him anyway.

pbmax
08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
So does the 4.8 mil in unused cap room include the reallocation credit (i'm being lazy and not reading the article, sorry)? If not 4.8 mil plus 3 mil loan plus 5 ish mil reallocation, they could offer a significant contract to Jackson without really hurting next years position, as the 3 mil would be spent on him anyway.

Juding by Peter King's refusal (on Twitter anyway) to adjust him numbers or correct the contention, I am guess the number near $4 mil does not contain the exceptions and King's number contains at least one.

mission
08-09-2011, 07:11 PM
I think Vick counts for $16mil. Even their backup counts for $4mil.

Oh he's franchised? Thought he was still around 5mil... wrongo I am.