PDA

View Full Version : THE WALDON WAY

Bretsky
08-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Here is my hope for our starting OLB; I've never had a ton of faith in the upside of Jones or Zombo

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127284018.html

Joemailman
08-09-2011, 05:30 PM
It's Walden! :grin:

I hope it's Walden as well. Zombo strikes me as the high effort kind of guy you love to have on your team, but not necessarily as a starter. Jones is probably at his best in coverage which makes him a good situational player in the nickle.

Upnorth
08-09-2011, 05:49 PM
I am a big believer in what Walden can accomplish with tremendous potenial. Is he ready to be a starter? Man I hope so, if he can bring pressure opposite CMIII when required, as well as be effective in the run thats great. I do wonder about his coverage skills though.

Bretsky
08-09-2011, 06:16 PM
finding another guy to rush the passer is key to witnessing domination again this year

Lurker64
08-09-2011, 06:42 PM
I still think that, long term, the other OLB opposite Matthews for the long term will come in the draft, we just haven't been in position to draft that guy yet. I think Walden wins the job this year, and does a good enough job.

pittstang5
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Zombo strikes me as the high effort kind of guy you love to have on your team, but not necessarily as a starter.

I had to chuckle a little bit. That's what they said about Kampman and he turned out ok.

Joemailman
08-09-2011, 06:47 PM
I had to chuckle a little bit. That's what they said about Kampman and he turned out ok.

You're right, but unfortunately there are usually more Poppingas than Kampmans.

vince
08-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Kevin Greene will have all these guys ready to get the job done. It was great last year to see the fruits of his efforts and he's all over these guys again this year. What a great addition he's been to this coaching staff.

Harlan Huckleby
08-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Walden is a mystery, he hasn't played very much. But sure, I'll jump on the Walden bandwagon if reporters say he is impressive in training camp. IF its in the papers, it must be true.

gbgary
08-09-2011, 11:32 PM
finding another guy to rush the passer is key to witnessing domination again this year

yup cuz i don't the line is going to do it. i'm rooting for anyone who can make plays and walden's already showed he's that type.

rbaloha1
08-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Walden is a mystery, he hasn't played very much. But sure, I'll jump on the Walden bandwagon if reporters say he is impressive in training camp. IF its in the papers, it must be true.

Yup the reports are accurate -- Walden is number 1 on the depth chart. My hunch is Walden remains #1.

Deputy Nutz
08-10-2011, 10:34 AM
It will be a fun battle watch. Jones is the early favorite because he can play against the run and is ok against the pass, where Zombo is good against the run, weak against the pass and Walden is good against the pass and weak against the run.

That is what I read, but I think it is mostly bullshit. There is no depth at inside backer so I assume that Jones will be a back up at inside and outside. Zombo will move behind Mathews and Walden will be the starter come week one, but that is bullshit too, because they haven't even played a down of preseason football yet.

pbmax
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
This depth chart is mandated by the League, and every year coaches play games with it:

The team's first depth chart was released Tuesday but coach Mike McCarthy cautioned not to make much of it. He said the decision to make Erik Walden No. 1 at ROLB ahead of Frank Zombo ( Brad Jones was No. 2 behind LOLB Clay Matthews) was not the least bit indicative of who would start Sept. 8.

3irty1
08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
You've got to love the level of competition for the spot. Jones, Zombo, and Walden are all good football players who are also improving, whoever Dom likes best is going to kick some ass methinks.