PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's light fading?

Patler
08-10-2011, 08:32 AM
For the past year, MM took every opportunity to praise and build expectations for Nick McDonald at both center and guard. I expected him to be in the competition for the vacant LG spot. But, he has had a very quiet camp so far. Very little has been said about him. Now this:

In detailing his offensive line, McCarthy reiterated that the competition at left guard is between Derek Sherrod and T.J. Lang. Meanwhile, Nick McDonald "has a chance" he said, but the coach feels he'll play him "more exclusively" at center.

Where are the, "Nick McDonald will have a real good NFL career" and "Nick McDonald will be among the most improved players" type comments that we have heard for the past year? He has been almost an after-thought so far this training camp.

vince
08-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Good question. I think it's conceivable that they feel he's going to be the back-up center and that he needs more work there in case Wells goes down. It seems to me that they always have their eye on the future as well as the present, and there's a center that needs to be groomed for the future.

pbmax
08-10-2011, 09:23 AM
It would be a bit of if your backup center didn't also play some guard, or its going to be hard to have him active on game day.

Old School
08-10-2011, 10:08 AM
What was said about McDonald last year may still be true. The mitigating facts this year might be the re-emergence of T J Lang after last year's surgery, and the performance of #1 pick Sherrod in camp. It's no fault of Nick that we have talent that may eclipse his potential.

If Nick can give us a solid backup to Scott Wells and backup at guard, it's a win, win situation for the Pack.

rbaloha1
08-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Wells is getting older. McDonald needs to focus on center. Plenty of other back-up guard prospects.

Patler
08-10-2011, 10:55 AM
I have no problem with McDonald being groomed for center almost exclusively, but in the past MM always took every opportunity to say something praising McDonald. I would have expected him to say something like, "We think Nick has a very good future as a center, and we intend to play him there." His commentary this time lacked any praise for McDonald. That's a change for MM. That's why I wonder if there might be a bit of disappointment in his play so far.

Patler
08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
It would be a bit of if your backup center didn't also play some guard, or its going to be hard to have him active on game day.

Dietrich-Smith plays both. It will be interesting to see if a competition develops in preseason between EDS and McDonald for the backup center spot.

3irty1
08-10-2011, 11:25 AM
This dates back to last season, he played G and C in TC last year but was pretty much a center only for the whole regular season last year. I wouldn't take it as a sign that he's falling out of favor with MM.

The LG battle is just out of his league, it's between a first-round pick and Lang, who MM is also in love with. MM has even hinted that Lang could have been favored to win the LG spot outright last year from Colledge if not for his injury.

Patler
08-10-2011, 12:12 PM
This dates back to last season, he played G and C in TC last year but was pretty much a center only for the whole regular season last year. I wouldn't take it as a sign that he's falling out of favor with MM.

The LG battle is just out of his league, it's between a first-round pick and Lang, who MM is also in love with. MM has even hinted that Lang could have been favored to win the LG spot outright last year from Colledge if not for his injury.

How can I make myself clear? Its not because he is being used only as a center, I can understand that, and I know they talked about center as his eventual position. That's not new. However, for the first time in a long time, MM has not jumped on an opportunity to praise the heck out of McDonald. THAT makes me wonder about how he is performing. The two factors combined make me think he has not progressed as much as expected.

Patler
08-10-2011, 12:15 PM
MM talking about McDonald generally this off season, and as the starting LG in a JSO article:

"Everybody talks about Sam and Frank," coach Mike McCarthy said just before the lockout began. "But, I mean, this guy here. . . . I think he could be one of those guys when you say, 'Who made the biggest jump from year one to year two?' I think he has a very bright future."

"I think he has that kind of makeup and that kind of raw ability," McCarthy said. "As the year went on you just got excited. We really like his body type. I hope he's ready. He'd be the perfect guy."

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2011, 12:45 PM
Where are the, "Nick McDonald will have a real good NFL career" and "Nick McDonald will be among the most improved players" type comments that we have heard for the past year? He has been almost an after-thought so far this training camp.

Some especially perceptive observers did pick Nick McDonald to win the LG job.

3irty1
08-10-2011, 02:52 PM
How can I make myself clear? Its not because he is being used only as a center, I can understand that, and I know they talked about center as his eventual position. That's not new. However, for the first time in a long time, MM has not jumped on an opportunity to praise the heck out of McDonald. THAT makes me wonder about how he is performing. The two factors combined make me think he has not progressed as much as expected.

I do understand you but taken in the context of MM's talk which was about the LG position, I'm not concern that he didn't recite a love letter to McDonald. Its been clear for a year now that McDonald is a more serious prospect at C than G in MM's eyes. Plus you think his crush is so deep that in a convo about Sherrod and Lang he's going to start popping boners at the mention of McDonald? If it eases your concern at all McDonald is listed as the backup RG and C on the new depth chart.

bobblehead
08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
Some especially perceptive observers did pick Nick McDonald to win the LG job.

And some picked Lang. As a matter of fact I was on the Lang bandwagon pretty big last year when he broke his wrist and suffered a setback.

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2011, 03:09 PM
pbmax picked McDonald. Harlan Huckleby picked McDonald. Surely you aren't equating a bunch of fools for Lang to those two luminaries.

Lurker64
08-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Some of this may be due to the lack of people who can snap on the TC roster. By my count only Wells, EDS, and McDonald are options at Center and there are three offensive units, so I'm not sure that McDonald is available for snaps elsewhere.

Yoop
08-10-2011, 03:46 PM
MM talking about McDonald generally this off season, and as the starting LG in a JSO article:

How often due udfa second year players start on a oline? not often, I think this is more of Mac trying to show his positive attitude about his players before the lockout, McDonald probably needs another season, He looks the part, sometimes that can fool ya, top draft picks bust all the time, I liked what I saw last year, he's backing up Sitton and Wells, I would say McCarthy was right, he should be happy with that, if it's legit he's a undrafted player pushing for a start amongst some good competition.

Could he be our new C in a couple years?

KYPack
08-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to the Brown game. That way, I can actually watch some line play and be in a lot better position to bullshit with everybody in this thread. When the lockout ended, I was so happy football started gain, I wanted to get in every discusssion there was.

All that said, I voted for Lang based on his rookie play. Most guys make some big strides in their 3rd year. I'm hoping that holds true for Lang.

Patler
08-10-2011, 04:06 PM
I do understand you but taken in the context of MM's talk which was about the LG position, I'm not concern that he didn't recite a love letter to McDonald. Its been clear for a year now that McDonald is a more serious prospect at C than G in MM's eyes. Plus you think his crush is so deep that in a convo about Sherrod and Lang he's going to start popping boners at the mention of McDonald? If it eases your concern at all McDonald is listed as the backup RG and C on the new depth chart.

Did you read my quotes from MM about McDonald and the LG spot? MM called him "the perfect guy" for LG just before camp. Then camp started, and all of a sudden he isn't going to be given much of an opportunity to even try. Why?

I think it is because he hasn't been performing as MM hoped he would. I'm not writing him off, but I think he isn't living up to MM's comment early in the off season that "...he could be one of those guys when you say, 'Who made the biggest jump from year one to year two?' I think he has a very bright future."

He may still have a bright future, but it looks less and less like it will start in 2011.

Joemailman
08-10-2011, 04:25 PM
For the past year, MM took every opportunity to praise and build expectations for Nick McDonald at both center and guard. I expected him to be in the competition for the vacant LG spot. But, he has had a very quiet camp so far. Very little has been said about him. Now this:

I think you're misinterpreting what MM said:

“And left guard is wide open. T.J. Lang and Derek are competing for that. Nick McDonald would have a chance, but we feel we need to play him more exclusively at center,” McCarthy added.

I think what he is saying is that if Nick McDonald were being given an opportunity to battle for the LG spot, he would have a legitimate chance of getting it. However, he feels they need McDonald to concentrate on C right now. I see that as praise considering the 2 guys battling for the LG spot are a 1st round pick and a guy who started games as a rookie.

3irty1
08-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Some of this may be due to the lack of people who can snap on the TC roster. By my count only Wells, EDS, and McDonald are options at Center and there are three offensive units, so I'm not sure that McDonald is available for snaps elsewhere.

Really good point.

Patler
08-10-2011, 04:39 PM
If MM felt McDonald had a shot at beating out either Lang or Sherrod for the starting LG spot, he would be competing for it right now. MM wouldn't be "saving" him to be the backup center if he could be the starting LG. Now, if Sherrod and/or Lang flop in the preseason games, McDonald might still get his shot at it. But as of now, he won't.

I just think it is a bit strange that shortly before camp MM mentioned McDonald as the perfect guy for the LG position, and as a candidate for the most-improved player on the team. That isn't a guy you plan on as your backup center. He had higher hopes than that for McDonald. My suspicion is that so far McDonald has not shown that he has developed as much as MM had hoped.

It is also interesting that Philbin(?) in the JSO article about LG at the start of camp said ideally you want three competing for the position. So far, they have two.

Patler
08-10-2011, 04:45 PM

Really good point.

You are forgetting Sampson Genus, who was one of the undrafted FAs that they gave a bonus to. ($4,000.) He is also a center.

bobblehead
08-10-2011, 04:49 PM
pbmax picked McDonald. Harlan Huckleby picked McDonald. Surely you aren't equating a bunch of fools for Lang to those two luminaries.

Certainly not...especially since the fool I am referring to also predicted Grant not making the team.

bobblehead
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
If MM felt McDonald had a shot at beating out either Lang or Sherrod for the starting LG spot, he would be competing for it right now. MM wouldn't be "saving" him to be the backup center if he could be the starting LG. Now, if Sherrod and/or Lang flop in the preseason games, McDonald might still get his shot at it. But as of now, he won't.

I just think it is a bit strange that shortly before camp MM mentioned McDonald as the perfect guy for the LG position, and as a candidate for the most-improved player on the team. That isn't a guy you plan on as your backup center. He had higher hopes than that for McDonald. My suspicion is that so far McDonald has not shown that he has developed as much as MM had hoped.

It is also interesting that Philbin(?) in the JSO article about LG at the start of camp said ideally you want three competing for the position. So far, they have two.

Could it also have to do with guys getting snaps to learn the OL calls and responsibilities? I mean there are only so many snaps to go around and they really want all these guys getting enough. That being said, I think if MM really though McDonald could win the spot he would be getting snaps at that spot.

Joemailman
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
You are forgetting Sampson Genus, who was one of the undrafted FAs that they gave a bonus to. ($4,000.) He is also a center.

My impression from MM's comment is that he's not impressed with either EDS or Genus. Therefore the need to have McDonald focus on Center because it's not likely those other guys will make the roster. The fact that MM would have McDonald focus on Center when he is a potential starting LG suggests to me that he is concerned about the Center position.

Patler
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
My impression from MM's comment is that he's not impressed with either EDS or Genus. Therefore the need to have McDonald focus on Center because it's not likely those other guys will make the roster. The fact that MM would have McDonald focus on Center when he is a potential starting LG suggests to me that he is concerned about the Center position.

So MM is willing to move a potential starting LG to a certain reserve role at center? Doesn't seem likely to me.
More likely, MM realizes that, right now, McDonald is clearly no better than #3 in the competition for starting at LG. That being the case, he might as well focus on playing center.

Evan if McDonald won the starting LG spot, he could still be the #2 center. It worked fine that way for Spitz for several years. There is no reason to pull him out of the LG spot just to be at reserve center, if he truly was a contender at LG.

Patler
08-10-2011, 07:16 PM
By the way, I mentioned Genus only to counter the suggestion that McDonald had to play center because they need three guys who can snap in order to run practice. Genus can snap good enough for practice, just like EDS, Wells and McDonald. If they need three, they have four. McDonald could be spared for some reps at LG if he was a contender for the spot.

Genus is probably playing for a spot on the practice squad, or someone else' roster.
EDS is counting on versatility and experience in the league to win a reserve role.
McDonald will likely get a spot due to raw potential more than anything.

All that could change if Lang or Sherrod sucks at LG when games start.

3irty1
08-10-2011, 07:34 PM
So MM is willing to move a potential starting LG to a certain reserve role at center? Doesn't seem likely to me.
More likely, MM realizes that, right now, McDonald is clearly no better than #3 in the competition for starting at LG. That being the case, he might as well focus on playing center.

Evan if McDonald won the starting LG spot, he could still be the #2 center. It worked fine that way for Spitz for several years. There is no reason to pull him out of the LG spot just to be at reserve center, if he truly was a contender at LG.

I guess in my mind a quality center is typically a long-term keeper. Isn't it possible that McDonald is a slightly longer-term project than 1 year? I had totally different expectations for McDonald despite McCarthy's lovefest. No matter how promising he was pitted against Lang who has been clawing his way into the lineup for two years and this year's first round pick. Did you guys think McDonald would be a probowl quality player this year or something?

Harlan Huckleby
08-10-2011, 07:42 PM
If MM felt McDonald had a shot at beating out either Lang or Sherrod for the starting LG spot, he would be competing for it right now. MM wouldn't be "saving" him to be the backup center if he could be the starting LG.

It could be that they just don't have time to audition all three as thing have played out. Maybe they are encouraged enough by Sherrod to give him a large share of the snaps, with Lang pushing as plan B if Sherrod struggles in preseason games.

RashanGary
08-10-2011, 08:25 PM
1. They decided to let Sherrod fight it out at LG. That might be a sign that Newhouse has really impressed them at tackle.

2. MM has always liked Lang

3. We don't have a backup center and Wells is no spring chicken.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Just relax, there is a game to play Saturday and then the panicked cries for the soothing play of McDonald will begin.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
1. They decided to let Sherrod fight it out at LG. That might be a sign that Newhouse has really impressed them at tackle.

2. MM has always liked Lang

3. We don't have a backup center and Wells is no spring chicken.

McCarthy was reported to have said this yesterday. They wanted to give him a shot, but decided he needed to concentrate on Center. Might have also been a question of getting reps as a number 3 guard. This could make EDS nervous, though off the top of my head I don't know who the backup RG is.

vince
08-11-2011, 03:40 PM
McCarthy was reported to have said this yesterday. They wanted to give him a shot, but decided he needed to concentrate on Center. Might have also been a question of getting reps as a number 3 guard. This could make EDS nervous, though off the top of my head I don't know who the backup RG is.
McDonald is listed as the backup at Center and Right Guard at the moment, ahead of EDS at Center and Schlauderaff at RG.

Lurker64
08-11-2011, 06:15 PM
It makes sense that they're evaluating McDonald exclusively at Center, if they're content with their other options at LG. Center is a lot to learn, and they very much want to know if he's up for it ASAP considering this is a contract year for Wells.

bobblehead
08-11-2011, 07:24 PM

I was just looking ahead a bit. After this season we lose 4 starters on offense. Sitton, Finley, Grant and Wells. I think Grant will not be resigned for a multitude of reasons (but I have been wrong on him before). Money wise Sitton and Finley are going to demand large deals. Probably won't resign Wells as they have tried to replace him before. Money wise we will likely need to replace him for real this time.

McDonald might project as the best prospect at center. If that is the case they likely think he won't be any better than Sherrod/Lang at LG so they are getting him ready to take over next season.

OR....I could be thinking way too much and none of that has shit to do with it.

Guiness
08-11-2011, 09:05 PM
I was just looking ahead a bit. After this season we lose 4 starters on offense. Sitton, Finley, Grant and Wells. I think Grant will not be resigned for a multitude of reasons (but I have been wrong on him before). Money wise Sitton and Finley are going to demand large deals. Probably won't resign Wells as they have tried to replace him before. Money wise we will likely need to replace him for real this time.

McDonald might project as the best prospect at center. If that is the case they likely think he won't be any better than Sherrod/Lang at LG so they are getting him ready to take over next season.

OR....I could be thinking way too much and none of that has shit to do with it.

Wells could be back. They've tried, but he's proved resilient - and has put together a very solid career. He might not be that expensive, and tough to displace.

I'm sure we will be talking about Finley's contract as the season goes on. I'm sure TT is watching his performance closely and making sure his injury is, or will heal completely. Don't forget the staph infection - it has ended or changed the direction of careers before. I think once he's back playing well, the talks start, and I would think the Pack wants to resign him sooner rather than later. If they take too long, he may decide to wait out the season and test FA. The big carrot they have here is to give him his money a bit early - injury protection.

Patler
09-05-2011, 11:04 AM
McDonalds light was not just fading, it is now totally extinguished since he wasn't even brought back to the practice squad.

Bedard is reporting that the Patriots have signed him to their practice squad, and Bedard takes a swipe at Campen in doing so:

Now, McDonald is a good prospect. He's strapping at 6-4 and 302 pounds, but he really needs to get stronger. He's still not good enough at the point of attack. (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/128720553.html) But he's definitely worth a practice squad spot. And McDonald will get much better line coaching here than in Green Bay, so he still has a chance.http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/09/popular_patriot.html

gbgary
09-05-2011, 11:08 AM
do bedard and campen have some sort of history?

pbmax
09-05-2011, 11:16 AM
The Jets claimed McDonald on waivers but then relinquished the claim after they got 4 other players off the wire, apparently. He was then back on the street for the Patriots.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Good, let him get that coaching. Packers can always sign McDonald to their roster from New England's practice squad if they think he can fill a hole.

I'm surprised TT hasn't signed an O-lineman yet.

Maybe some team will get injury at TE during season and trade a decent guard?

pbmax
09-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Good, let him get that coaching. Packers can always sign McDonald to their roster from New England's practice squad if they think he can fill a hole.

I'm surprised TT hasn't signed an O-lineman yet.

Maybe some team will get injury at TE during season and trade a decent guard?

Someone thinking more clearly than I was yesterday or the day before suggested this signing, if it happens will be after Week 1. When the salary doesn't have to be guaranteed even to a vet.

Harlan Huckleby
09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
I think it is really hard to find a guard who is better than what the PAckers cut from their roster. Look how many players have tried and failed at the position for the packers in last 10 years! Must be 20 or 30. I think it will take some unusual opportunity and a trade of a promising player.

With positions of average sized guys like WR or LB, there are always decent players floating around.

rbaloha1
09-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Disappointing.

Wells is in the final year of his contract. Packers need to find a center in the 2012 draft.

pbmax
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Aaron Wilson reports McDonald had multiple offers... for the practice squad.

Lurker64
09-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Disappointing.

Wells is in the final year of his contract. Packers need to find a center in the 2012 draft.

Likely the plan now is to resign Wells, but drafting some interior OL is in order.

RashanGary
09-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Boy, Wells turned out to be a damn good Packer. 7 years so far. 94 games started. If he's resigned, he has a chance at 2 or 3 more seasons (if Clifton and Tausch can't go past 33/34, I'd guess Wells won't either.

But another 3 years, 40 starts or so. . . . It would be about 130 starts as a Packer. Pretty good career. We can start to include him in the 7th round gem category for recent Packers.

Joemailman
09-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Disappointing.

Maybe they think Genus is that guy.

rbaloha1
09-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Maybe they think Genus is that guy.

Good thought.

bobblehead
09-05-2011, 06:49 PM
McDonalds light was not just fading, it is now totally extinguished since he wasn't even brought back to the practice squad.

Bedard is reporting that the Patriots have signed him to their practice squad, and Bedard takes a swipe at Campen in doing so:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/09/popular_patriot.html

TT's new brilliant strategy. He knows that Campen blows, but MM won't replace him so TT lets his good OL prospects go to another teams practice squad for coaching. When they are ready he signs them to our 53....sheer brilliance.

swede
09-05-2011, 06:51 PM
do bedard and campen have some sort of history?

Ewww! If they do I don't want to know.

Joemailman
09-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Boy, Wells turned out to be a damn good Packer. 7 years so far. 94 games started. If he's resigned, he has a chance at 2 or 3 more seasons (if Clifton and Tausch can't go past 33/34, I'd guess Wells won't either.

But another 3 years, 40 starts or so. . . . It would be about 130 starts as a Packer. Pretty good career. We can start to include him in the 7th round gem category for recent Packers.

Clifton is already 35. If Wells can stay healthy into his 30's, which Tauscher could not, I could see him being around for a while.

Patler
09-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Patriots released McDonald from their practice squad on Thursday.

Fritz
09-16-2011, 08:27 AM
Any context for this? Did they need a spot because of injury and a new signing? Or did he just suck?

Is Campen vindicated?

Harlan Huckleby
09-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Patriots released McDonald from their practice squad on Thursday.
wow, how the mighty have fallen. He goes from a Harlan Huckleby endorsement to the unemployment line in one month.

hoosier
09-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Any context for this? Did they need a spot because of injury and a new signing? Or did he just suck?

Is Campen vindicated?

No, to paraphrase Leo Durocher, Campen screwed McDonald up so bad that not even the Patriots can fix him.

rbaloha1
09-16-2011, 11:36 AM
No, to paraphrase Leo Durocher, Campen screwed McDonald up so bad that not even the Patriots can fix him.

Please elaborate on Campen? What specifically did he do McDonald?

smuggler
09-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Stranger danger!!

MJZiggy
09-16-2011, 04:55 PM
wow, how the mighty have fallen. He goes from a Harlan Huckleby endorsement to the unemployment line in one month.

Statistically correlation does not equal causation, but still...

Fritz
09-16-2011, 06:07 PM

Since McDonald ended up playing like a dog, you could say Campen screwed the pooch.

MJZiggy
09-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Since McDonald ended up playing like a dog, you could say Campen screwed the pooch.

I think McDonald's fine. I had it for lunch. Still the best fries around.

Bretsky
09-16-2011, 07:41 PM

Another career ruined by the curse of bluedog :)

Bretsky
09-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Campmen has done an outstand job developing Scott Wells into an above average center........comments ??????????

Guiness
09-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Campmen has done an outstand job developing Scott Wells into an above average center........comments ??????????

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes?

Bretsky
09-16-2011, 11:38 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes?

Sitton ?? Lang ??

Seriously, we going to blame Campen for the demise of an guy who was undrafted and would be unknown had MM not made a couple of his infatuation comments last year.

I'm not going to argue Campen is a top OL coach but I can certainly build a case that he is not bad.

Slouch Slocum is our only egg

Guiness
09-17-2011, 12:04 AM
Sitton ?? Lang ??

Seriously, we going to blame Campen for the demise of an guy who was undrafted and would be unknown had MM not made a couple of his infatuation comments last year.

I'm not going to argue Campen is a top OL coach but I can certainly build a case that he is not bad.

Slouch Slocum is our only egg

LOL, I kid, I kid. I plead the Tarlam defense, it's beer week. I'm doing a tour!

Campen seems to do a good job with centers and tackles.

Pugger
09-17-2011, 07:44 AM
I wonder if TT would sign him back to our practice squad if have an opening in the near future...?

Iron Mike
09-17-2011, 08:57 AM
http://snack.anus.com/images/anus_burger_try.jpg

Fritz
09-17-2011, 09:10 AM
I think McDonald's fine. I had it for lunch. Still the best fries around.

See Iron Mike's picture. I'm guessing you passed on the burger.

Iron Mike
09-17-2011, 09:13 AM

You'll notice that's a Canadian McDonald's....I think they even serve poutine there.

mraynrand
09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
I think they even serve poutine there.
Did somebody say poontang?
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/7608/carlhoseav6.jpg

Patler
09-17-2011, 01:06 PM
I wonder if TT would sign him back to our practice squad if have an opening in the near future...?

Too late, NE re-signed him again on Friday.
They released him on Thursday, and re-signed him on Friday.

MJZiggy
09-17-2011, 02:31 PM

Filet o Fish and fries. I don't have to worry about the sign. I just had it, so I likely won't go back there for six months to a year and I'm sure they'll have that corrected by then...

Guiness
09-17-2011, 05:45 PM
You'll notice that's a Canadian McDonald's....I think they even serve poutine there.

Not in this neck of the woods.

You can get poutine around here, but it's mostly a Quebec thing. However, I was out on the east coast and had a McLobster! That was weird.

pbmax
09-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Too late, NE re-signed him again on Friday.
They released him on Thursday, and re-signed him on Friday.

Regular roster or PS? I thought they initially signed him to PS.

Guiness
09-17-2011, 06:01 PM

9/5 Nick McDonald G practice squad addition
9/15 Thomas Welch T practice squad addition
9/15 Nick McDonald G practice squad deletion
9/16 Nick McDonald G practice squad addition
9/16 Kerry Taylor WR practice squad deletion

I don't get it. Some sort of housekeeping? Changed their mind on who they wanted to keep? Did Kerry Taylor punch a coach in the face?

Patler
09-17-2011, 06:31 PM

PS, why?

pbmax
09-17-2011, 07:11 PM
There are occasionally contract reasons why players are let go from regular rosters over the weekend or before Week 1 (though I am not sure if they apply to McDonald). But it seems odd to dropped and re-added him to the practice squad in a day. Unless they signed someone of interest and then subsequently lost someone the same day.

Guiness
09-17-2011, 07:24 PM
Interesting that NE had Kerry Taylor on their PS. Now Nick McDonald. They're taking a long look at our discards.

Fritz
09-17-2011, 08:05 PM
The geniuses appreciate one another's work.

Patler
09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
If someone offered McDonald a roster spot, and NE offered to up his PS salary to stay, they might have had to terminate his first contract and sign him to a new one.

Iron Mike
09-18-2011, 08:13 AM

You can get poutine around here, but it's mostly a Quebec thing. However, I was out on the east coast and had a McLobster! That was weird.

http://thumb11.webshots.net/t/62/562/7/59/57/2941759570079669071nJOQte_th.jpg

McPoutine

Patler
09-18-2011, 09:45 AM

Just curious, what neck of the woods are you in? I have had poutine all over Ontario. Most of the hockey rink concession stands even seemed to sell it. There was a hamburger chain in Ontario that had great poutine, but I can't recall the name of the chain.

pbmax
09-18-2011, 09:54 AM
If someone offered McDonald a roster spot, and NE offered to up his PS salary to stay, they might have had to terminate his first contract and sign him to a new one.

Could be. I was toying with the idea of adding Bedard to my Twitter feed to get some other NFL news beside the local folks I follow, but when I saw the his tweet about McDonald getting some real coaching from NE, it reminded me how reactionary he was as a pundit/columnist for the JS. I decided to find someone else.

Guiness
09-18-2011, 03:31 PM
Just curious, what neck of the woods are you in? I have had poutine all over Ontario. Most of the hockey rink concession stands even seemed to sell it. There was a hamburger chain in Ontario that had great poutine, but I can't recall the name of the chain.

South-Western - north of Kitchener-Waterloo.

There is poutine around here, it's just not as popular as it is in Quebec. Over there, it's almost a cultural phenomena, probably more common to order poutine than a plain order of fries. Here, it's available, but just not that popular.

Patler
09-18-2011, 11:39 PM
South-Western - north of Kitchener-Waterloo.

There is poutine around here, it's just not as popular as it is in Quebec. Over there, it's almost a cultural phenomena, probably more common to order poutine than a plain order of fries. Here, it's available, but just not that popular.

Kitchner - I've been there. Waterloo and Guelph, too.

As for poutine - I think it comes from the French, doesn't it? I spent a lot of time in Toronto and North, through North Bay, Sudbury and west to S.S.M. Poutine seemed pretty common, but they have a lot of French Canadians in some of those areas.

Also spent a lot of time in and around Ottawa, and Montreal years ago. Might have been where I was first introduced to poutine, I don't remember.