PDA

View Full Version : Maybe the Hammer isn't on the outs?

Smidgeon
08-10-2011, 12:57 PM
From JS's "Thumbs Up":

The first one-on-one pass-blocking drill of training camp matching the running backs and linebackers usually is a rip-snorting affair. There was contact aplenty Tuesday night, and one brief skirmish between RB Alex Green and LB Robert Francois. In 14 jousts, the unofficial tally was seven victories for the backs, six for the linebackers and one draw. Francois was king of the hill for the defense, going 3-0 with decisions over Ryan Grant, Jon Hoese and Green. Francois ran roughshod over Green, the rookie who stuck his nose in and beat hard-charging LB Elijah Joseph in his other turn. The signature moment for the backs was authored by FB Quinn Johnson, who controlled Joseph twice by moving up close to the line and enveloping him with his massive body. "If you win here, you can win on Sundays," RB coach Jerry Fontenot told his players before the drill. "It's mano-a-mano. Quinn is a big man and it's tough to bull rush him."

For the record, I seem to be a bigger fan of The Hammer, God's Gift, and Brad Jones (he suddenly needs a nickname) than I get the impression others are. I read in forums that people are just expecting the first two to be cut and the third to be just a small-role backup. I like all three. Not Quarless over Finley, but definitely as a #2 TE.

Smidgeon
08-10-2011, 01:02 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127418108.html

Since when is Taylor a roster lock? :S

Patler
08-10-2011, 01:24 PM
GBPG report from last night:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110809/PKR01/110809213/Insider-Longshot-receivers-Smithson-Gurley-make-their-cases?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE (http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110809/PKR01/110809213/Insider-Longshot-receivers-Smithson-Gurley-make-their-cases?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CFRONTPAGE)

Three drops, eight sacks and a penalty.

All of that happened in a 20-play stretch during a team, third-down period.

The three drops came in the first seven plays, prompting offensive coordinator Joe Philbin to plead, “C’mon guys!”

The drops stopped, but the sacks were just beginning.

The defense went into blitz mode, and the quarterbacks were ducking. To be fair, the offense was playing with a patchwork line because starters Scott Wells and Chad Clifton were part of the veteran group that was given the night off, but the blitz pickup by the running backs was atrocious.

On back-to-back plays, cornerback Pat Lee sacked Matt Flynn. Running back James Starks failed to pick up Lee, who has never had a sack in an NFL game, on at least one of them.

On another sack of Flynn, rookie running back Alex Green picked up linebacker Desmond Bishop, but no one blocked cornerback Tramon Williams, who also was blitzing.

Oh, and for good measure, at the end of the drill, Harrell mishandled a snap that was recovered by rookie fullback Jon Hoese.

Smidgeon
08-10-2011, 01:26 PM
Q: Trevor, Saint Paul - Bob, has Quinn Johnson looked like he deserves a roster spot so far this summer, and does he really just need to not be awful in order to make the team now that Korey Hall is gone?
A: Bob McGinn - Trevor: There are six competent TEs in camp. There are two competent FBs in camp. Johnson reported too heavy but it doesn't seem to be an issue. He was outstanding in the live blitz pickup drill last night. In some ways, he isn't competing against Kuhn. He is competing against young TEs. It's possible that his work on ST will decide his fate.

Smidgeon
08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
GBPG report from last night:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110809/PKR01/110809213/Insider-Longshot-receivers-Smithson-Gurley-make-their-cases?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE (http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110809/PKR01/110809213/Insider-Longshot-receivers-Smithson-Gurley-make-their-cases?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CFRONTPAGE)

But it goes on to mention Alex Green and Starks specifically...

bobblehead
08-10-2011, 05:04 PM
I like Jones. Hammer doesn't fit with this team really. God's gift is sort of make or break this camp. I think he makes it, but he needs to earn playing time as well or it will hamper his chances in the future.

Deputy Nutz
08-10-2011, 05:21 PM
When the Packers have to run the ball in a regular formation I want Johnson as the lead blocker and certainly not John Kuhn. Hall was the better blocker between him and Kuhn, and Hall is gone. If Johnson is cut the Packers short distance running game will be dreadful.

Brandon494
08-10-2011, 05:35 PM
I think we'll keep Finley, Quarless, Williams, Taylor, Kuhn, and Q Johnson. Honestly I like both rookie TE more than I do Quarless.

Packers4Glory
08-10-2011, 06:59 PM
In my opinion Quarless needs to have a great camp because I was really really not impressed at anything he did last season. Really nothing he did gave me any hope that he can be a legit TE in this lg.

I also don't see Q making the roster...esp if they decide to keep a bunch of TE's.

ThunderDan
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I hope Q Johnson makes it. He is a great point of attack blocker. Watching the Stark highlights, that someone else posted in another thread, most of those runs turned into big gains when Quinn was able to win the 1-on-1 with the free LB. He moved the LB out of the hole for Starks and didn't just tie the LB up.

I am so-so on Quarless. He is supposed to be this increadible receiving TE and yet the majority of balls that were thrown to him he let get to his pads for the catch or drop. He needs to catch the ball away from his body to be that elite pass catching TE that he is billed as.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
If he could figure out a special teams role he would be set. I wonder what the holdup is?

Guiness
08-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Everyone is writing off Crabtree. He stuck with the team against all odd last year - the Pack kept a 4th TE so he could be on the roster.

He put in a lot of work this offseason, there was a workout video on gbpg
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=U0&Dato=20110414&Kategori=PKR01&Lopenr=104140806&Ref=PH

I don't think he's going anywhere...

sharpe1027
08-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I hope Q Johnson makes it. He is a great point of attack blocker. Watching the Stark highlights, that someone else posted in another thread, most of those runs turned into big gains when Quinn was able to win the 1-on-1 with the free LB. He moved the LB out of the hole for Starks and didn't just tie the LB up.

I am so-so on Quarless. He is supposed to be this increadible receiving TE and yet the majority of balls that were thrown to him he let get to his pads for the catch or drop. He needs to catch the ball away from his body to be that elite pass catching TE that he is billed as.

I agree with your assessment of Quarless. He has great combine numbers, but he simply does not look natural on the field. His adjustments to the ball and the way he catches balls do not inspire confidence. I think drafting of two TEs in addition to bringing Crabtree and Havner back suggests that the Packers are also not convinced. He did a pretty good job last year in a tough situation, but I still give him a 50/50 chance of being cut.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2011, 10:54 AM
I thought Quarless looked pretty good for a late round, rookie TE. I thought he looked better than Crabtree, and they were both in the first years. Crabtree does little for me. To me, Quarless looks like a guy that could be really good given a couple of years. Crabtree looks like somebody with a limited ceiling. The problem is: neither Finley, Quarless, or Williams (from TC reports) are very good blockers. Maybe Crabtree makes it as the 4th because of his blocking. Who knows. I have no idea if Taylor is a viable option.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2011, 11:00 AM
For what it's worth:

TE Andrew Quarless had a bad-looking drop in a move-the-ball drill, but then a couple of plays later made a diving catch over the middle to redeem himself. Later he caught a red-zone touchdown from Rodgers on a nicely executed corner route.

Smidgeon
08-11-2011, 11:32 AM
How many people were writing off Finley after his rookie year? He barely looked serviceable then. He was a mouth who couldn't catch a jump ball.

Meanwhile, Quarless doesn't have the ability that Finley does (and thus not the ceiling), but he was a rookie. Packers fans have been spoiled by rookies contributing in their first years. It usually isn't until a second or third year that they really take off. Sam Shields was an exception. Zombo wasn't the plan. Bulaga wasn't the plan (and had struggles to prove it). Quarless wasn't the plan either, but he filled in steadily and solidly.

sharpe1027
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
To me, Finley looked better as a rookie, even in his limited chances. Quarless does not use his body as well to screen off defenders, he makes poorer reactions to the ball in flight and he catches the ball against his chest more often. Doesn't mean he won't improve, just gives me enough reason to believe he is in a fight to keep his job. I do not know if the other TEs are going to be good enough to bump him out, but I think it's as likely as not.

vince
08-11-2011, 03:36 PM
For what it's worth

TE Andrew Quarless had a bad-looking drop in a move-the-ball drill, but then a couple of plays later made a diving catch over the middle to redeem himself. Later he caught a red-zone touchdown from Rodgers on a nicely executed corner route.
His drop was horrendous, but his diving catch was as spectacular as the drop was bad. Quarless has the talent no question. Hopefully .he becomes consistent.

I was impressed with D.J. Williams last night. He's in great shape, runs well and he had a great catch last night too. He's supposedly has a lot of work to do in the blocking department, but he was working hard at it and held his own in the drills that I saw. Those two and Finley could easily make the deepest most talented TE group in the league.

Bretsky
08-11-2011, 05:27 PM
I thought early on Finley flashed high ceiling; never saw that in Quarless. Pack needs Crabtree; he's the only one that can block and IMO he blocks very well. I think Williams is a better receiver than Quarless, who has never looked that smooth to me.

My guess is TT may shop Quarless only to find no buyers and then end up with a very very tough decision

Smidgeon
08-11-2011, 05:33 PM
His drop was horrendous, but his diving catch was as spectacular as the drop was bad. Quarless has the talent no question. Hopefully .he becomes consistent.

I was impressed with D.J. Williams last night. He's in great shape, runs well and he had a great catch last night too. He's supposedly has a lot of work to do in the blocking department, but he was working hard at it and held his own in the drills that I saw. Those two and Finley could easily make the deepest most talented TE group in the league.

Plus the deepest most talented WR group in the league, and M3 recently said his CBs were the deepest group he had... Can we say "stacked"?

Smidgeon
08-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I thought early on Finley flashed high ceiling; never saw that in Quarless. Pack needs Crabtree; he's the only one that can block and IMO he blocks very well. I think Williams is a better receiver than Quarless, who has never looked that smooth to me.

My guess is TT may shop Quarless only to find no buyers and then end up with a very very tough decision

I buy the "Crabtree is the best blocking TE on the Packers," but I'm selling "Crabtree is a great blocking TE."

RashanGary
08-11-2011, 05:42 PM

Can't add much. . . . . Oh, and Quarless has questionable hands.

Goodbye.

mraynrand
08-11-2011, 07:26 PM
QJ doesn't seem to have very good hands and isn't the guy they want catching passes out of the backfield - not a lot of shake and bake there. There will be a logjam of those guys this year. QJ has to be a beast on teams to make the squad, but I bet he will be. And he can block like hell. Here's the thing - is he too much a liability when he's on the field? In other words, Stubby like to get all multiple with his options on offense, and QJ limits what he can do. Is that enough of a detractor to risk not having that dedicated blocking FB on the roster?

Bretsky
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
I buy the "Crabtree is the best blocking TE on the Packers," but I'm selling "Crabtree is a great blocking TE."

He's a well above average blocking TE; I don't think I'd call him great. For his size, tenacious would be fair though

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:26 PM
Always forgetting special teams. Unless one of the new TEs or Quarless discover their inner Jarret Bush, or Crabtree is a mortal lock.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
QJ doesn't seem to have very good hands and isn't the guy they want catching passes out of the backfield - not a lot of shake and bake there. There will be a logjam of those guys this year. QJ has to be a beast on teams to make the squad, but I bet he will be. And he can block like hell. Here's the thing - is he too much a liability when he's on the field? In other words, Stubby like to get all multiple with his options on offense, and QJ limits what he can do. Is that enough of a detractor to risk not having that dedicated blocking FB on the roster?

Last year he had 3 catches. I was actually surprised by the throws and he did hang on. It did seem to be an adventure each time. But to be brutally honest, with only 3 to go on, I don't know which of us was more nervous; me watching or him catching.

HarveyWallbangers
08-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Johnson rarely plays on special teams, right?

pbmax
08-11-2011, 11:28 PM
Johnson rarely plays on special teams, right?

Yes, its not a strength of his compared to other FB, TEs on the roster.

smuggler
08-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Crabtree is making the team unless we find another TE who can block. That TE is not on the roster right now, so either way, that's one TE spot accounted for. Johnson is not necessarily a lock, but it would be a surprise if the hammer got the axe.

Smidgeon
08-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Crabtree is making the team unless we find another TE who can block. That TE is not on the roster right now, so either way, that's one TE spot accounted for. Johnson is not necessarily a lock, but it would be a surprise if the hammer got the axe.

I don't think Crabtree is a lock. By any means.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2011, 12:27 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110812/PKR07/110812127/Eric-Baranczyk-analysis-Can-S-Burnett-an-aggressive-tackler-?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

The Packers have six tight ends in camp, and if they keep four again, it’s hard for me to believe Tom Crabtree and Spencer Havner make the team. The two rookies, fifth-round pick D.J. Williams and seventh-rounder Ryan Taylor, have big enough bodies, they’re going to be good blockers I’m assuming. Havner was making plays Thursday night, but he was on the scout team and they were doing game-plan stuff. Where was Crabtree? You don’t see him. The two rookies, you see them catching. Second-year pro Andrew Quarless, you see him catching every once in a while.

smuggler
08-13-2011, 09:43 AM
I know they don't value the running game as much as the passing game, but I don't think we will go into the season without a blocking tight end or a blocking fullback. The only blocking TE we have now is Crabtree.

bobblehead
08-13-2011, 09:51 AM

Why would you need a TE that can't catch the ball or a TE that can't block? Those are called OL and WR respectively. All the TE's must work on both skills or else cut them and line up the real deal.

smuggler
08-13-2011, 09:59 AM
Better cut all of our TEs, then, because none of them are good at both.

Brandon494
08-13-2011, 10:14 AM
Finley, Quarless, Williams, Taylor will be the four TEs we keep.

Guiness
08-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I love how it's given that we keep 4 TE's! lol

Brandon494
08-13-2011, 12:48 PM
I mean we kept four last season and 3 FBs. With Williams and Taylor projected to play H-Back as well I think its pretty much a lock we keep 4.

mission
08-13-2011, 10:57 PM
QJ played with the 18th stringers tonight... not looking good.

Smidgeon
08-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Based on the write ups from other PRers and JS and GBPG, it sounds like the Hammer played like the Noodle. And that Brad Jones didn't impress.

While I still have hopes for them, I'm internally starting to hedge my bets...