PDA

View Full Version : Chastin West

Brandon494
08-10-2011, 06:32 PM
Don't know much about this guy but he has been impressing in camp and even Rodgers gives him praise. If we do indeed keep 6 receivers I would hope we keep this guy or one of our drafted rookies and send Swain on his way.

http://espnmilwaukee.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=6036

Upnorth
08-10-2011, 06:36 PM
looking forward to seeing him get some reps during the first preseason game.

Freak Out
08-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Does Rodgers praise Swain as much?

Packers4Glory
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
Swain is all but done here. He's auditioning for another job elsewhere.

HarveyWallbangers
08-10-2011, 08:28 PM
If the kid is a good, it wouldn't be unusual if they kept 6 WRs. It will be interesting to see West in the preseason.

red
08-10-2011, 08:52 PM
yeah the kid stood out to me, whether it was flynn or harrell playing qb, it was clear they were always looking his way

he's this years jason cherry for me, i'll be cheering for him

rbaloha1
08-10-2011, 11:16 PM

Its about time. What took so long?

bobblehead
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
If the kid is a good, it wouldn't be unusual if they kept 6 WRs. It will be interesting to see West in the preseason.

I think one needs to be able to play gunner or be your return man to do that. Cobb is going to be the #5 and the return guy so one would need to be a gunner or ST ace in some way to stick as a 6. I see practice squad in one of their futures (I am hoping no one gets hurt to solve this enviable problem).

Freak Out
08-11-2011, 03:58 PM
So is it West or Gurley?

red
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM
So is it West or Gurley?

to me (from the one practice i saw) gurley is a real big target, but he looked like a JAG out there, nothing really caught my eye as being anything special except for his size.

west stood out because the QB's were always finding him, he was going against the #1 cb (t-will), and he was making a lot of nice catches (balls thrown behind him, high balls, low balls, etc)

but thats just me and what i saw one night

Freak Out
08-11-2011, 05:32 PM
Cool....thanks Red.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:23 PM
to me (from the one practice i saw) gurley is a real big target, but he looked like a JAG out there, nothing really caught my eye as being anything special except for his size.

west stood out because the QB's were always finding him, he was going against the #1 cb (t-will), and he was making a lot of nice catches (balls thrown behind him, high balls, low balls, etc)

but thats just me and what i saw one night

So Gurley might remind us of Ruvell Martin? Did he have a championship belt move? Or the jumping hip check?

smuggler
08-12-2011, 11:09 AM
I loved Ruvell. =3

Brandon494
08-12-2011, 05:22 PM
I loved Ruvell. =3

Is that you wearing the Farve jersey? :)

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2007/11/medium_packercrotchgrab.jpg

smuggler
08-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Nope. Never owned a Favre jesey. I had a Chmura jersey in the 1996 SB season, and I got a throwback Sharpe jersey a few years back, and I have a Jennings jersey.

Joemailman
08-19-2011, 10:56 PM
He made his move tonight. He's clearly #6. If they keep 6.

Lurker64
08-19-2011, 11:05 PM
He's #6 if we keep 6, but he may actually be tradeable since I think there would be a waiver wire tug-of-war for this guy.

RashanGary
08-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Tough cut. Makes the Jones signing a bit of a regret. I wouldn't mind trading Driver or Jones (Jones over Driver for me.) Ted is pretty great at finding WR talent. Even if this is Drivers last year, I wouldn't mind going in with Jennings, Cobb, Nelson and West with room for a 5th guy dug up by Thompson.

If Jones and a guy like Quarless could be traded for a good young RG/RT type, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Fritz
08-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Let's see how he does the next two weeks before we trade Jones or Driver.

red
08-20-2011, 09:00 AM
how are you gonna trade jones or driver? driver is 137 years old and might be playing his last season, with a large cap number

jones was just a free agent like 3 weeks ago, and nobody wanted him. why would someone now give up something for him?

Bretsky
08-20-2011, 09:09 AM
the deal to be made is trading West to a team desperately in need of a WR....maybe the Rams......for a adequate DL....which we may desperately need.

Patler
08-20-2011, 09:15 AM
He had a big play for a TD and a number of receptions in a preseason game playing against guys who will be cut from the Arizona Cardinals. I'm not sure we should be ready to trade proven NFL talent so we can keep him just yet.

Patler
08-20-2011, 09:16 AM
the deal to be made is trading West to a team desperately in need of a WR....maybe the Rams......for a adequate DL....which we may desperately need.

To the Cardinals for Vonnie Holliday maybe?

vince
08-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Tough cut. Makes the Jones signing a bit of a regret. I wouldn't mind trading Driver or Jones (Jones over Driver for me.) Ted is pretty great at finding WR talent. Even if this is Drivers last year, I wouldn't mind going in with Jennings, Cobb, Nelson and West with room for a 5th guy dug up by Thompson.

If Jones and a guy like Quarless could be traded for a good young RG/RT type, I wouldn't be disappointed.
I agree with this, if you could get value for Driver or Jones, which I'm not sure you can. Chastin West has been making plays all camp - not just one play in a preseason game. He's been showing that he can catch the ball in traffic and now he shows an extra gear that no one knew he had.

Your guy Alex Green showed what he can do too. He MUST get the protections down, but when he does he's one hell of a weapon.

Guiness
08-20-2011, 10:52 AM

It would be out and out strange to see him back with the Pack.

I think the Cardinals could use some WR help. They've lost a lot of talent at that position over the past couple of years - have they replaced it?

Trades the fans come up with rarely happen, of course.

red
08-20-2011, 11:00 AM
It would be out and out strange to see him back with the Pack.

I think the Cardinals could use some WR help. They've lost a lot of talent at that position over the past couple of years - have they replaced it?

Trades the fans come up with rarely happen, of course.

I wouldn't mind TT trading Jones for Calais Campbell

since we're all living in fantasy land

mission
08-20-2011, 11:05 AM

In this case, we might as well trade him for Heidi Klum (she's still hot, right?)

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:07 PM

IMO West is too valuable to trade. The guy is also a returner. Nelson and DD may not return next year. Too risky to place as a practice squad player. Keeper for the active roster.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2011, 12:30 PM
This. And the play wasn't all that impressive. Looking at the stat sheet sure it was, but that was one of the easiest TD's he will ever score.

Fritz
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Let's trade West and DJ Williams to Arizona for Darnell Dockett!

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm fine with keeping him on the active roster if we keep 6 WRs, but West is not worth anything in a trade. Teams just have to look at our depth chart and see that he is a long shot to make the team. We have had five locks at the position since we re-signed Jones. I don't see them carrying 6 WRs when the five in front of him can all play at a high level. We don't have five other Chastin West's in front of him and are not sure who can really play or not. Now factor in all the pass catchers we have at TE and I serious doubt we keep six WRs.

I would say he has less than a five percent chance of making the team as the sixth Wr. The only way he makes it is if TT is seriously unimpressed with the d linemen and LBs and starts cutting players left and right there. But in that case we would have a very unbalanced roster.

pbmax
08-20-2011, 12:53 PM
The Toolbelt is a mortal lock for the roster, even if he has to play LG or D line.

rbaloha1
08-20-2011, 12:54 PM
This. And the play wasn't all that impressive. Looking at the stat sheet sure it was, but that was one of the easiest TD's he will ever score.

There is nothing easy about catching a 97 yard pass in an NFL game.

gbgary
08-20-2011, 12:57 PM
The Toolbelt is a mortal lock for the roster, even if he has to play LG or D line.

this!

Bretsky
08-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Yup, that's the type of deal I'd refer to....my guess is short term Holliday offers more than Wynn and WIlson

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Someone point me to the thread where everybody was clamoring for West before he caught that touchdown pass.

I thought Borel might be the #6, but he sure stunk last night.

I want the Packers to keep 5 TE's and cut Johnson. If they do that, I give TT free reign with the wide receivers.

mraynrand
08-20-2011, 02:41 PM
I want the Packers to keep 5 TE's and cut Johnson. If they do that, I give TT free reign with the wide receivers.

TT is glad to have your endorsement.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2011, 02:41 PM
There is nothing easy about catching a 97 yard pass in an NFL game.

It was a good play, but the fact it happened from the three blows it up on the stat sheet. It was a simple catch and run.

pbmax
08-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Someone point me to the thread where everybody was clamoring for West before he caught that touchdown pass.

This is that thread. And I think he got nicknamed Toolbelt prior to the TD as well in the AZ/GB preseason game thread.

pbmax
08-20-2011, 02:43 PM
It was a good play, but the fact it happened from the three blows it up on the stat sheet. It was a simple catch and run.

But you beg the question: if its so simple, why doesn't everyone do it? We should graft his hands on Jones.

pbmax
08-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Yup, that's the type of deal I'd refer to....my guess is short term Holliday offers more than Wynn and WIlson

If they want the grizzled vet, Trevor Pryce was still available last I checked and he showed some quick pass rush last year with the Jets.

Lurker64
08-20-2011, 02:46 PM

In Fantasy-World I'd like to redo the 2008 NFL draft and get Calais Campbell and Jamaal Charles in the second round instead of Brian Brohm and Pat Lee.

Patler
08-20-2011, 02:54 PM
I just don't see any room for him on the 53 man roster. Even if they keep only 4 TEs, 9 OL, and release Johnson they have 25 on offense because they will have to keep both Harrell and Flynn.

3 QBs
3 RBs
1 FB
4 TEs
5 WRs
9 OL

They could conceivable go with some combination of 24 on defense, leaving an "extra" roster spot for offense, but I don't think it would go to West. A 5th TE is probably of better value on ST and as the "2nd FB". Or, keeping Quinn Johnson would provide the only pure fullback on the roster. Both are probably better options than West as a 6th WR.

red
08-20-2011, 04:01 PM
you think they're gonna keep 9 o-line patler? i was thinking 8 with they way they like the guys to be able to play multiple positions

and i don't think anyones mentioned it yet. how bout that old guy driver last night? he looked pretty damn good. might be a little premature to put him out to pasture just yet

MJZiggy
08-20-2011, 04:04 PM
This is what I'm thinking, Red. He's also the #2 face of the organization behind Rodgers. I think getting rid of him not only for his play on the field, but for the leadership he brings to the locker room and the love he brings from the fans would be a tremendous mistake.

channtheman
08-20-2011, 05:01 PM

James Jones couldn't make that catch.

Guiness
08-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Everyone seems pretty enamored with Chastin West. If the coaching staff believes in him the way many seem to here, and there are no TC injuries, they're going to have to do some fancy footwork for sure. It looks like our WR corps is pretty close to written in stone: Cobb, Driver, Jennings, Jones and Nelson (in alphabetical order!). West isn't an ST demon, so no good there.

I don't know how they do it. TT has shown a willingness to carry an unbalanced roster into the season. If the decision is that Harrell doesn't make the roster, or they only carry 3 TE's, that might make room for him, but I don't think either of those scenarios is likely.

If they think he can develop, what are the chances they try and move Jones or Nelson?

red
08-20-2011, 05:22 PM
what does jones new contract look like?

was there any money up front? or can he be cut right away?

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-20-2011, 05:56 PM
James Jones couldn't make that catch.

If that were true he wouldn't be in the NFL. He made that catch many times and as recent as the pats game. He had many easy drops last year and I'm not dening that.

GO Chastin West! You are the next Donald Driver.

channtheman
08-20-2011, 06:01 PM
If that were true he wouldn't be in the NFL. He made that catch many times and as recent as the pats game. He had many easy drops last year and I'm not dening that.

GO Chastin West! You are the next Donald Driver.

I was just being stupid. I don't really know how valuable West is. He probably got himself some serious looks from other teams when we cut him.

smuggler
08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
It's 3/9 so it doesn't really matter matter.

Freak Out
08-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Can't Cobb be the #3 QB and we move Harrell? That way we can keep West on the regular season roster? ;)

vince
08-20-2011, 06:24 PM

I wouldn't call it everyone, nor would I call it clamoring, but there's this and Red mentioned how good he looked after after he watched practice one night a little further down the page.
http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?22372-Official-Training-Camp-Thread/page5#180

Guiness
08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
There's a thread on it here, but I don't see contract details.

Even if there's no money up front, you'd think the Pack would like to get something for him. OTOH he was an FA, and obviously didn't draw a lot of interest, so maybe there's no buyers at the price GB offered? I wonder how much, if any, home town discount the Pack got. I've never heard him come out and say he wanted to stay, so I assume we came across with the best money.

King Friday
08-20-2011, 10:25 PM
West looks good...and the kid probably has potential to some day be a solid #3 in the league somewhere IF he works at it. That said, the 5 guys in front of him on the roster are all proven when the games actually count. It is ridiculous to suggest moving any of our top 5 WRs to keep West. Thompson has had NO DIFFICULTY procuring WR talent since he's been here, so stashing a guy on the active roster just to hold him for next year seems illogical.

With our OL looking somewhat shaky so far, I'd rather keep an extra TE or FB that can help out in pass blocking/special teams this year.

swede
08-20-2011, 10:39 PM
how are you gonna trade jones or driver? driver is 137 years old and might be playing his last season, with a large cap number

jones was just a free agent like 3 weeks ago, and nobody wanted him. why would someone now give up something for him?
.http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z236/dsteenswede44/LollipopGuild-1.jpg

Deputy Nutz
08-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Jones isn't going to get traded, and sure as shit Don Driver isn't going anywhere. West could be a heck of a player, but he isn't going to be playing for the Packers in 2011. The Packers probably have 8 guys at WR that could play on Sundays but it ain't gonna happen in 2011. Some of these guys like Gurly could be an option for the Practice squad, but the Packers are going to keep 5 on the active roster.

Freak Out
08-21-2011, 01:30 AM
You know your fucked when a Munchkin guild shoots down the trade.

packrulz
08-21-2011, 07:26 AM
I was just being stupid. I don't really know how valuable West is. He probably got himself some serious looks from other teams when we cut him.
West showed some speed when he outran the D-back of the Cards, I'm not sure that Jones could've done that. Then he still had enough energy left to do a super Lambeau Leap! Maybe TT will cut Jones and keep West?

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Nice! People are crowning West after one play in which he outran a Cardinals 3rd string corner. :)

vince
08-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Nice! People are crowning West after one play in which he outran a Cardinals 3rd string corner. :)
For the tenth time, West has been making plays all camp - not just this game. He's made a bunch of leaping grabs in traffic that have caught the eyes of camp observers and the players have noted his impact going back to last year in practice. He has good hands, good movement and looks fast enough to get separation. In a nutshell, he looks promising. I think he'll catch on with someone if he doesn't make the Packer roster.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 10:06 AM

Careful, I made such a remark and PBmax pointed out that the Chastin West Appreciation Society has been in full swing for a couple weeks. I guess I owe an apology to the early adopters.

Patler
08-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I just don't see any room for him on the 53 man roster. Even if they keep only 4 TEs, 9 OL, and release Johnson they have 25 on offense because they will have to keep both Harrell and Flynn.

3 QBs
3 RBs
1 FB
4 TEs
5 WRs
9 OL

They could conceivable go with some combination of 24 on defense, leaving an "extra" roster spot for offense, but I don't think it would go to West. A 5th TE is probably of better value on ST and as the "2nd FB". Or, keeping Quinn Johnson would provide the only pure fullback on the roster. Both are probably better options than West as a 6th WR.

you think they're gonna keep 9 o-line patler? i was thinking 8 with they way they like the guys to be able to play multiple positions

and i don't think anyones mentioned it yet. how bout that old guy driver last night? he looked pretty damn good. might be a little premature to put him out to pasture just yet

Possible, I suppose (especially if they can sneak a couple onto the PS), but a couple years the Packers kept 10 to start the season. I think keeping only 8 is pushing your luck. Unlike other positions where you can make adjustments and play without the "normal" number, or move another player into the position as a backup for a few weeks (a CB for a safety or vice versa, a TE for a FB. play with just 2 DL, etc.) you have to have 5 O-lineman on the field, and there aren't typically ways to use other players in place of them. WIth just 8, if one gets dinged up for a few weeks you almost have to make an immediate roster adjustment to bring in another O-lineman.. If you have 9, you can bide your time with what you have.

Fritz
08-21-2011, 10:15 AM

3 QBs
3 RBs
1 FB
4 TEs
5 WRs
9 OL

It's an interesting situation for Thompson. On the one hand, he seems to love pure talent - he keeps seemingly odd numbers of guys at certain positions - what, four TE's last year? Crazy! - yet he also likes to keep "ordinary" guys who are demons on ST (J. Bush and Korey Hall last year being the prime examples). My understanding is that West is not a ST demon, but he seems pretty darn talented. So what to do?

You keep him as the 6th wide as insurance in case of injury problems and thus render him a probably game day inactive pretty often. Or, if you're lucky, someone in the AFC who thinks they won't be able to get to him when he's put on waivers decides to send you a 6th round pick for the guy.

Worst case scenario: you end up cutting him and he signs with da Bears or the Vikes or the Lions. Or Tampa. Or Atlanta. Or...

Fritz
08-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Possible, I suppose (especially if they can sneak a couple onto the PS), but a couple years the Packers kept 10 to start the season. I think keeping only 8 is pushing your luck. Unlike other positions where you can make adjustments and play without the "normal" number, or move another player into the position as a backup for a few weeks (a CB for a safety or vice versa, a TE for a FB. play with just 2 DL, etc.) you have to have 5 O-lineman on the field, and there aren't typically ways to use other players in place of them. WIth just 8, if one gets dinged up for a few weeks you almost have to make an immediate roster adjustment to bring in another O-lineman.. If you have 9, you can bide your time with what you have.

But do you have nine worthy linemen? I get a feeling TT won't keep certain numbers if he doesn't think the talent is there.

Let's see...Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, then Sherrod, McDonald or EDS, Newhouse, Schlauderaff...who am I missing? And is Chastin West a better talent than, Schlauderaff is at his position?

Patler
08-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Accepting that West might be playing well in practice too, can he really beat out any of the 5 WRs ahead of him?

With 5 very capable WRs ahead of him, plus very good receiving talent at TE, what would be the reason to keep him?

Would you keep him as a 6th WR over Quarless, Crabtree, Taylor or Williams?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over the only true fullback, Quinn Johnson?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over Harrell?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over a 9th O-lineman?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over the 4th true safety, whoever it is? (Levine, Jennings, etc.)?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over a 6th CB, knowing the 4th, 5th & 6th will be three of Gordy, House, Bush, and Lee?

To me, it seems that the answers to all of those questions are "No". Unless one of the WRs ahead of him is injured, or one of the TE's goes down for the season, I just don't see a reason to keep Chastin West on the 53 man roster. Too bad, because I would like to see what he can do, but it doesn't look like we will see him as a Packer.

Patler
08-21-2011, 10:44 AM
But do you have nine worthy linemen? I get a feeling TT won't keep certain numbers if he doesn't think the talent is there.

Let's see...Clifton, Lang, Wells, Sitton, Bulaga, then Sherrod, McDonald or EDS, Newhouse, Schlauderaff...who am I missing? And is Chastin West a better talent than, Schlauderaff is at his position?

The 9th O-lineman doesn't necessarily have to be on the roster right now, he might come from somewhere else, but I think you need a 9th O-lineman over a #6 WR, especially when you have a great receiving TE and at least a couple other decent receiving TEs to go along with the 5 WRs ahead of West.

Smeefers
08-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Somehow we turned into one of those teams that overloads on skill positions but doesn't have enough talent in the trenches. We're a Mike Neal injury away from being in the same position we were last year with the DL. That being said, I can definately see us keeping 6 WR's and 5 TE's.

rbaloha1
08-21-2011, 12:54 PM
What other free agent wr would you keep over West? CW is too good to cut. Return man as well. The packers kept Swain around why not CW?

Patler
08-21-2011, 12:56 PM
What other free agent wr would you keep over West? CW is too good to cut. Return man as well. The packers kept Swain around why not CW?

Swain was kept as the #5 receiver. Now they have Cobb as the #5. If West was battling Swain for the #5 spot, it would probably go to West. Cobb knocks everyone out of the #5 spot.

PaCkFan_n_MD
08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
oops

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 02:16 PM
We have 5 WR who are locks and Finley. The kid has talent but we just don't have the room for him.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Accepting that West might be playing well in practice too, can he really beat out any of the 5 WRs ahead of him?

With 5 very capable WRs ahead of him, plus very good receiving talent at TE, what would be the reason to keep him?

Would you keep him as a 6th WR over Quarless, Crabtree, Taylor or Williams?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over the only true fullback, Quinn Johnson?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over Harrell?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over a 9th O-lineman?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over the 4th true safety, whoever it is? (Levine, Jennings, etc.)?
Would you keep him as a 6th WR over a 6th CB, knowing the 4th, 5th & 6th will be three of Gordy, House, Bush, and Lee?

To me, it seems that the answers to all of those questions are "No". Unless one of the WRs ahead of him is injured, or one of the TE's goes down for the season, I just don't see a reason to keep Chastin West on the 53 man roster. Too bad, because I would like to see what he can do, but it doesn't look like we will see him as a Packer.

To quote TT. You keep the best NFL talent (sort of like drafting the BPA). Position isn't the deciding factor. Personally I keep a talented WR over Crabtree in a heartbeat. I ditch Quinn Johnson in a heartbeat and get Raji some snaps for goal line. I don't let a legitimate talent go (assuming West is a legitimate talent) because he doesn't fit my ideal roster makeup.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Somehow we turned into one of those teams that overloads on skill positions but doesn't have enough talent in the trenches. We're a Mike Neal injury away from being in the same position we were last year with the DL. That being said, I can definately see us keeping 6 WR's and 5 TE's.

I disagree. We are flush at WR only. Out of all our TE's only Finley is a legit starter. On the DL our backups are good...for backups. Our OL backups are very good....for backups. Our backup TE's are average. Our backup LB's are average. I don't see us in that great of a position anywhere other than WR, and we are not that bad at any position.

Trust me, if an OL goes down, we won't be code red. We will get one of the guys up to speed and he will be a slightly below average starter. Same on the DL....lets not forget we did ok with Howard Green starting a lot of last season. Now we are in a panic because Neal might get hurt.
Edit: Forgot RB. We are average across the board at RB, starter and backups....unless Grant fully returns to form at age 29, then we are above average at starter and average at backup.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Ryan Grant, James Starks, and Alex Greene are all better than average. I believe having them instead of B Jackson, Kuhn, and Nance will have us top 3 in offense this season.

Patler
08-21-2011, 04:15 PM
To quote TT. You keep the best NFL talent (sort of like drafting the BPA). Position isn't the deciding factor. Personally I keep a talented WR over Crabtree in a heartbeat. I ditch Quinn Johnson in a heartbeat and get Raji some snaps for goal line. I don't let a legitimate talent go (assuming West is a legitimate talent) because he doesn't fit my ideal roster makeup.

I doubt that even TT would say you keep the most talented players regardless of positions, because in the end you still have to field a team, and that requires different types of players, even if some are less talented.

If West is a budding all-pro; he will move someone else, or quietly retire Driver. But my whole post presupposed that West did not beat out Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson or Cobb. That's why I said "Would you keep him as a 6th WR over....."

If his talent is not such to be among the top 5 as a WR, how does he help the team?

vince
08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
If his talent is not such to be among the top 5 as a WR, how does he help the team?
The same can be said about the 9 and 10 linemen on the roster who would rarely if ever dress. Whoever is more talented should be kept to protect the talent level in the event of injury and for the future.

Brandon494
08-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Cobb seen on crutches after the game with a knee bruise. More opportunities for West to show the coaches why they should keep him.

Harlan Huckleby
08-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Out of all our TE's only Finley is a legit starter. Quarless could have a breakout year, he was just a damn rookie last year and did OK. He's looked pretty good in preseason.

CaptainD
08-21-2011, 07:00 PM
The 6th WR must play well on ST. Sure West is having a nice camp at WR but he did so last year. Has West been all over on ST making tackles and or blocking ?

Reality is that we don't have the space for West.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Ryan Grant, James Starks, and Alex Greene are all better than average. I believe having them instead of B Jackson, Kuhn, and Nance will have us top 3 in offense this season.

Green is better than average? Shouldn't he play ONE NFL down before we declare him that? Grant WAS better than average, but I gotta see the 29 year old version coming off an injury before I declare him a better than average starter. Same for Starks and his 2? 100 yard games as a pro. Jackson was above average for a 3rd down back (read: backup) who didn't let anyone hit ARod clean.

Better than average implies there aren't 16 starters/backups/3rd guys better. We can't possibly judge the backups by that standard, but I can judge grant that way. He was around 8-9. Is he still? We will see.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 08:03 PM
I doubt that even TT would say you keep the most talented players regardless of positions, because in the end you still have to field a team, and that requires different types of players, even if some are less talented.

If West is a budding all-pro; he will move someone else, or quietly retire Driver. But my whole post presupposed that West did not beat out Jennings, Driver, Jones, Nelson or Cobb. That's why I said "Would you keep him as a 6th WR over....."

I am talking about starting caliber. Is he? I don't know, but if he is TT will keep him around. No one has so much talent that they MUST cut starting caliber talent, that is my point. He will be the 6, no doubt, but who is more likely to develope into starting talent, Quinn Johnson or West. If TT believes that west has REAL talent, he won't waive him. Period.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 08:04 PM
The same can be said about the 9 and 10 linemen on the roster who would rarely if ever dress. Whoever is more talented should be kept to protect the talent level in the event of injury and for the future.

What he said.

bobblehead
08-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Quarless could have a breakout year, he was just a damn rookie last year and did OK. He's looked pretty good in preseason.

Hope you are right...but as of NOW, Quarless hasn't shown me that he can be a decent starter. Quarless is FAR from and legit starter at this point.

KYPack
08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
Cobb seen on crutches after the game with a knee bruise. More opportunities for West to show the coaches why they should keep him.

He bruised it on the KR. Just let that kid return punts. He got hurt at UK on KR's. One of our WR's or Green can return kick-offs.

vince
08-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Chastin West has been considered a possession receiver, probably due to his 4.59 combine 40 time. Both Jones and Nelson ran in the 4.5's as well. Interestingly, Desia Dunn, the CB that he ran away from on the long reception, ran a 4.45 40. That's Jennings and Cobb speed.

Chastin West has a bigger body than any of the other receivers, runs good routes, has good hands, makes athletic catches, has some juke, and is faster than advertised. The final cuts are going to be tough, and he might not make it, but he's making a good case to stick.

HarveyWallbangers
08-21-2011, 10:54 PM
Chastin West has been considered a possession receiver, probably due to his 4.59 combine 40 time. Both Jones and Nelson ran in the 4.5's as well. Interestingly, Desia Dunn, the CB that he ran away from on the long reception, ran a 4.45 40. That's Jennings and Cobb speed.

Chastin West has a bigger body than any of the other receivers, runs good routes, has good hands, makes athletic catches, has some juke, and is faster than advertised. The final cuts are going to be tough, and he might not make it, but he's making a good case to stick.

I actually felt like the corner was faster and was catching him, but for some reason: 1) he slowed up (stamina?), and 2) he chose not to dive to make the tackle.

West did run 4.59. He actually was slower in his Pro Day... running in the 4.6s. Nelson ran 4.51. Jones ran 4.54. That almost tenth of a second is not insignificant. That's about the same difference between Jennings to Nelson and Cobb to Jones. Nelson actually runs closer to Cobb than West. Of course, the kid might have improved. I haven't seen him in practices, but the kid will have to do it for more than one or two plays against backup competition in one preseason game. If he finishes out this preseason strong, he may have a chance. Remember when Travis Jervey dominated a preseason game? Reports also had him impressing in preseason. Turns out the kid wasn't very good--although he was a good special teams player.

vince
08-22-2011, 07:18 AM
I haven't seen him in practices, but the kid will have to do it for more than one or two plays against backup competition in one preseason game. If he finishes out this preseason strong, he may have a chance. Remember when Travis Jervey dominated a preseason game? Reports also had him impressing in preseason. Turns out the kid wasn't very good--although he was a good special teams player.
For the eleventh time now, he has been. Stop with the "people are going gaga over one catch" nonsense. He's been making plays and demonstrating his skills on a regular basis since last year. He's merely backing people's testimony up in his opportunities in the game and showing that the lights don't appear to be too bright for him.

In terms of perspective, just because someone talks a kid up doesn't mean they think he's going to be Jerry Rice or even Greg Jennings. He has a chance to make an NFL roster and go from there - from out of nowhere. If he's like Jervey and makes a roster for a few years, that'll be a great thing for an undrafted guy mired at the bottom of the deepest receiver roster in the league. Jervey was a 5th round pick who was given every opportunity to make the team. West was undrafted and has every reason to be cut. He's making about the best case he can to beat the odds and make an NFL team the hard way. Not sure about what interests you or others, but those are the guys that get my attention at this point in the season.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 07:27 AM
ah, people are going gaga over one catch

vince
08-22-2011, 07:42 AM
OK, so that was an exaggeration. Blow me. Wait...don't.

Let's just say I'm pulling for Chastin West. Probably won't make the team but he has a chance to stick with someone. That's a major accomplishment.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 08:11 AM
I was just trying to irritate you. I am now onboard with Chastin mania.

imscott72
08-22-2011, 08:41 AM
West has talent. That much is obvious. Does is translate into success in the NFL? Who knows. I wish we had room to roster him, but unless someone does down hard the next couple games I don't see it happening.

HarveyWallbangers
08-22-2011, 08:44 AM
My point of contention isn't that West has looked good, has an outside chance at sticking on our roster, and/or should stick with another team. I'm just not ready to get rid of Driver or Jones to make room for this guy. There are some reporters who have said Gurley and/or Borel have looked equally as good as West, and have more potential. I'm happy for a guy like West. He's been in the system, and has worked his way up. He's follow the path of Tramon and others. It would be nice to see him do well. If the coaches feel like he's earned a spot, then great. I'm just not ready to get rid of Driver or Jones for an unknown--unless I see more from him.

vince
08-22-2011, 09:06 AM
My point of contention isn't that West has looked good, has an outside chance at sticking on our roster, and/or should stick with another team. I'm just not ready to get rid of Driver or Jones to make room for this guy. There are some reporters who have said Gurley and/or Borel have looked equally as good as West, and have more potential. I'm happy for a guy like West. He's been in the system, and has worked his way up. He's follow the path of Tramon and others. It would be nice to see him do well. If the coaches feel like he's earned a spot, then great. I'm just not ready to get rid of Driver or Jones for an unknown--unless I see more from him.
Gotcha. I'd agree with that, except that I think West is more athletic and has a higher ceiling than Gurley. Borel has potential, but he's way more raw at this point than West. I think Borel is a really good practice squad candidate. I also think Jones is decent, but eminently replaceable, though I'm by no means advocating replacing him for West right now.

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 10:50 AM
There are some reporters who have said Gurley and/or Borel have looked equally as good as West, and have more potential .
They said that about Gurley because he is tall, at least from what I read. I'm not buying into Gurley, too lumbering. Borel looks like an athlete, but not even close to roster ready.

Ever since I jumped on the Chastin West bandwagon, this has all become much clearer.

mraynrand
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Crown his ass!

http://chanarchive.org/content/74_sp/9144346/1291953679877.jpg

mraynrand
08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
ah, people are going gaga over one catch

Indeed. Did you see how West is being transported to practice? No little tike bikes for him!

http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/files/2011/02/lady-gaga-egg.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
never mind

rbaloha1
08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Gotcha. I'd agree with that, except that I think West is more athletic and has a higher ceiling than Gurley. Borel has potential, but he's way more raw at this point than West. I think Borel is a really good practice squad candidate. I also think Jones is decent, but eminently replaceable, though I'm by no means advocating replacing him for West right now.

Agreed. Borel is another converted qb with speed and skills. Keep on the practice squad along with Gurley.

In hindsight the JJ resigning is preventing another potentially good player making the roster.

JJ better stop the dropping tds.

vince
08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
MikeVandermause:
Chastin West showing his speed again, beats Gordy on go route down left sideline in 7 on 7. [via Twitter]

TyDunne:
Chastin West is getting some work with Rodgers today. [via Twitter]

swede
08-22-2011, 03:04 PM
imo opinion they are generating some buzz to trade the guy for a pick. There. is. no. room.

Joemailman
08-22-2011, 03:22 PM
imo opinion they are generating some buzz to trade the guy for a pick. There. is. no. room.

He was returning punts today. There could be room if he can contribute on special teams.

MJZiggy
08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Indeed. Did you see how West is being transported to practice? No little tike bikes for him!

http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/files/2011/02/lady-gaga-egg.jpg

What is that in the front??? Somebody feed that child!

vince
08-22-2011, 06:24 PM
The second coming...
http://media.jsonline.com/images/28007144_CHASTIN.jpg

Brandon494
08-22-2011, 06:29 PM
Chastin West has a better chance at making this team then Crabtree does IMO. I can see us keeping 6 WRs and 4 TEs. I mean we are a heavy passing team and if he can prove to be reliable return man I think its a lock that he makes it.

Patler
08-22-2011, 08:07 PM
I have a feeling Cobb has the return job locked up. West will have to show ability on coverage teams for ST's to help him much in making the team.

Realistically, he will be inactive anyway unless someone gets hurt. I can't imagine how they could have 6 WRs active for games.

Smidgeon
08-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I have a feeling Cobb has the return job locked up. West will have to show ability on coverage teams for ST's to help him much in making the team.

Realistically, he will be inactive anyway unless someone gets hurt. I can't imagine how they could have 6 WRs active for games.

Noted, but the bottom of the roster is for talent retention and emergency depth, which doesn't always coincide with playing time.

Guiness
08-22-2011, 09:46 PM
Noted, but the bottom of the roster is for talent retention and emergency depth, which doesn't always coincide with playing time.

Ya, like B.J. Sanders!!!

lol - Sherman may unwittingly have had a lasting effect on the Packers franchise, by showing them they can actually operate with a 52 man roster, hence allowing them to carry a developmental player on the team!

VermontPackFan
08-23-2011, 10:54 AM

Before I read this I almost started a thread about Swain. I dont think I have heard his name in training camp, is he hurt? I wasnt sure he was even with the team, updates please?

Brandon494
08-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Hes not good.

vince
08-23-2011, 11:21 AM
Before I read this I almost started a thread about Swain. I dont think I have heard his name in training camp, is he hurt? I wasnt sure he was even with the team, updates please?
Swain's been hurt with a hamstring pull I believe. He just returned to practice after two weeks off yesterday. He was a decent special teams player, which was why he was kept the past couple years. He doesn't appear to have enough to stick this year and his hiatus from practice obviously hurt his chances to make an impression.

VermontPackFan
08-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanks

pbmax
08-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Careful, I made such a remark and PBmax pointed out that the Chastin West Appreciation Society has been in full swing for a couple weeks. I guess I owe an apology to the early adopters.

Chastin 'Toolbelt' West Appreciation Society

gbgary
08-25-2011, 09:56 PM
Chastin 'Toolbelt' West Appreciation Society

:bow:

run pMc
08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
You know your fucked when a Munchkin guild shoots down the trade.
Almost spit out my coffee laughing. Thanks.

Fritz
08-30-2011, 04:51 PM
If West can return kickoffs and play otherwise solid special teams, why not keep him if the team thinks his upside is, well, up?

I like Tom Crabtree, but dudes with that skillset are much easier to come by than potential starting-grade wide receivers.