PDA

View Full Version : A Template for Sitton's Contract

Lurker64
08-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Logan Mankins today signed a six year, $48.5 million deal with $21 million guaranteed.

I don't know if we'll be able to sign Sitton for less, to be honest. Maybe if we offered him six years $42m with more guarantees he would take it. But Mankins' deal sets the market for elite guards.

Brandon494
08-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Mankins plays left guard, do they typically make more than right guards? Either way TT will end up paying him the money he deserves.

3irty1
08-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I'm thinking it will be closer to Davin Joseph's contract. Well probably less years.

smuggler
08-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Sitton is regarded as better than Mankins by many.... He could cost us.

Brandon494
08-11-2011, 08:01 AM
Sitton is regarded as better than Mankins by many.... He could cost us.

Yea many Packer fans

Scott Campbell
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Yea many Packer fans

I guess the NFL Alumni association must have a heavy Packer bias.

"Josh Sitton wins Offensive Lineman of the Year

Josh Sitton has been named 2010 Offensive Lineman of the Year by the NFL Alumni Association."

Brandon494
08-11-2011, 09:21 AM
So I guess Phillip Rivers is a better QB then Rodgers then.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:52 AM
That is Jahri Evans money for Mankins. Sitton has been getting good pub, but with a lack of Pro Bowls/All Pros under his belt, I am not sure he will command top line money. I think he will be somewhere in between 6-8 million per year.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2011, 12:45 PM
So I guess Phillip Rivers is a better QB then Rodgers then.

I suspect my point went over your head.

Lurker64
08-11-2011, 03:41 PM
Actual final numbers for Mankins' contract (courtesy ESPN)

The six-year, $51 million deal extends through 2016.

Signing bonus
$20 million

Base salaries
2011: $1.5 million
2012: $3 million
2013: $6 million
2014: $6.5 million
2015: $7 million
2016: $7 million

Yearly $250,000 workout bonus.

Guiness
08-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Wow. That's a pretty messed deal, hard for NE to get out of that cheaply at any point. After 3 years it averages $10mil/year, and after that the base is pretty high so the average stays up.

Is that the highest SB to date for a guard?

mraynrand
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Actual final numbers for Mankins' contract (courtesy ESPN)

The six-year, $51 million deal extends through 2016.

Signing bonus
$20 million

Base salaries
2011: $1.5 million
2012: $3 million
2013: $6 million
2014: $6.5 million
2015: $7 million
2016: $7 million

Yearly $250,000 workout bonus.

How does that signing bonus get spread out over the years of the contract, capwise?

Brandon494
08-11-2011, 05:54 PM
I suspect my point went over your head.

I guess mine went over your head as well. Just because he won the award doesn't make him a better guard than Mankins. While Sitton is the better run blocker its no doubt Mankins might be the best pass blocking guard in the league. Horrible take huh?

Lurker64
08-11-2011, 06:07 PM
How does that signing bonus get spread out over the years of the contract, capwise?

It's prorated across all years of the contract, assuming he's on the roster IIRC.

mraynrand
08-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I guess mine went over your head as well. Just because he won the award doesn't make him a better guard than Mankins. While Sitton is the better run blocker its no doubt Mankins might be the best pass blocking guard in the league. Horrible take huh?

you seemed to imply that the award givers were biased Packer Fans. That's not the same point you're making above. Either one is defensible, so long as you're clear about your argument.

Scott Campbell
08-11-2011, 09:41 PM
I guess mine went over your head as well. Just because he won the award doesn't make him a better guard than Mankins.

Yep, it did manage to go over your head. Perhaps you should reread it.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
It's prorated across all years of the contract, assuming he's on the roster IIRC.

I think proration is limited to either 5 or six years.

mission
08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
Sitton doesn't even have a pro bowl appearance. I know that doesnt speak to how good a guy is but it does matter when signing an extension mid season. I dont see this contract being a template for the 4th round pick. No way. 6-7 mil IMO

pbmax
08-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Read This, Stop Talking Past One Another

The NFL Alumni awards for 2010:

Quarterback: Philip Rivers, Chargers
Running back: Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars
Wide receiver: Roddy White, Falcons
Tight end: Jason Witten, Cowboys
Offensive line: Josh Sitton, Packers
Defensive lineman: Ndamukong Suh, Lions
Linebacker: Patrick Willis, 49ers
Defensive back: Aqib Talib, Buccaneers
Special teams: Devin Hester, Bears
Spirit Award: Felix Jones, Cowboys
Coach of the Year: Todd Haley, Chiefs
Player of the Year: Troy Polamalu, Steelers

Its a list of good players to be sure, but there are signs (such as Polamalu's award and Hester's) that indicate they weren't paying full attention. There is kind of a career effect here, as MJD is a great back but did not have a great season compared to some others. Talib at CB seems strange too. At first I thought they nominated someone from each division, but 6 of 9 positions are from the NFC.

mission
08-11-2011, 09:54 PM
I guess the NFL Alumni association must have a heavy Packer bias.

"Josh Sitton wins Offensive Lineman of the Year

Josh Sitton has been named 2010 Offensive Lineman of the Year by the NFL Alumni Association."

I love Sitton and think he's a big time guard, but that award really doesn't count for anything besides forum fodder. Alumni association? Come on...

mission
08-11-2011, 09:55 PM
Read This, Stop Talking Past One Another

The NFL Alumni awards for 2010:

Quarterback: Philip Rivers, Chargers
Running back: Maurice Jones-Drew, Jaguars
Wide receiver: Roddy White, Falcons
Tight end: Jason Witten, Cowboys
Offensive line: Josh Sitton, Packers
Defensive lineman: Ndamukong Suh, Lions
Linebacker: Patrick Willis, 49ers
Defensive back: Aqib Talib, Buccaneers
Special teams: Devin Hester, Bears
Spirit Award: Felix Jones, Cowboys
Coach of the Year: Todd Haley, Chiefs
Player of the Year: Troy Polamalu, Steelers

Its a list of good players to be sure, but there are signs (such as Polamalu's award and Hester's) that indicate they weren't paying full attention.

Isn't Talib the dude who's always getting arrested? I can think of tons of DBs I'd rather have.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Isn't Talib the dude who's always getting arrested? I can think of tons of DBs I'd rather have.

Yes, that's him. He was also hurt in 2010 in Week 13. He is young and good, but not quite Revis or Asomugha. Its an odd list. Suh is a forward thinking pick and you cannot quibble with Willis. But Hester hasn't been the threat he used to be in 3 years.

Part of the problem was the selection process. It consisted of one old and tired former GM and coach, Bill Parcells, who couldn't even be moved to name Belicheck as a candidate for Coach of the Year. http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/24267/bill-parcells-provides-his-list-of-elite-players

His list:

OFFENSE

Quarterback – Tom Brady (New England Patriots), Philip Rivers (San Diego Chargers), Aaron Rodgers (Green Bay Packers)

Running Back – Jamaal Charles (Kansas City Chiefs), Maurice Jones-Drew (Jacksonville Jaguars), Michael Turner (Atlanta Falcons)

Wide Receiver – Greg Jennings (Green Bay Packers), Reggie Wayne (Indianapolis Colts), Roddy White (Atlanta Falcons)

Tight End –Tony Gonzalez (Atlanta Falcons), Dustin Keller (New York Jets), Jason Witten (Dallas Cowboys)

Offensive Lineman – Jahri Evans (New Orleans Saints), Jake Long (Miami Dolphins), Josh Sitton (Green Bay Packers)

DEFENSE

Defensive Lineman – Ndamukong Suh (Detroit Lions), Kyle Williams (Buffalo Bills), Mario Williams (Houston Texans)

Linebacker – Clay Matthews (Green Bay Packers), Cameron Wake (Miami Dolphins), Patrick Willis (San Francisco 49ers)

Defensive Back – Troy Polamalu (Pittsburgh Steelers), Asante Samuel (Philadelphia Eagles), Aqib Talib (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER

David Akers (Philadelphia Eagles), Dustin Colquitt (Kansas City Chiefs), Devin Hester (Chicago Bears)

COACH of the YEAR

Todd Haley (Kansas City Chiefs), Lovie Smith (Chicago Bears), Mike Smith (Atlanta Falcons)

PLAYER of the YEAR

Clay Matthews (Green Bay Packers), Troy Polamalu (Pittsburgh Steelers), Philip Rivers (San Diego Chargers)

The list and explanation is here: http://www.nflalumni.org/ArticleDetails/tabid/94/ArticleID/75/Default.aspx

mission
09-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Sitton doesn't even have a pro bowl appearance. I know that doesnt speak to how good a guy is but it does matter when signing an extension mid season. I dont see this contract being a template for the 4th round pick. No way. 6-7 mil IMO

QFT :)

smuggler
09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
We'll see on that. Sitton is better than Mankins, when you consider his age. He'll be a strong contender for All-Pro this season (w/ Mankins, Evans, and Nicks)