PDA

View Full Version : Wells-Sitton-Bulaga

RashanGary
08-10-2011, 09:04 PM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110810/PKR01/110810173/RT-Bulaga-looks-like-natural-lined-up-against-Matthews-practice?odyssey=tab|topnews|img|FRONTPAGE

Wells is still playing good ball. Sitton is a star lineman. And now, if Matthews knows anything about RT's, Bulaga is turning into a star.

Offenses need to start with an identity and build from there. Obviously Rodgers and the passing game are #1, but a strong run game to the right could be another part of their identity. Linebackers will have to bite in the redzone to stop Sitton and Bulaga from blazing a trail to the endzone. You might get some nice playactions anywhere on the field if they become a dominant right side. . . . . . Grant/Starks healthy. . . . We could see a more complete offense, although running behind Clifton is going to be fugly.

vince
08-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Love to hear his me-first accountability and team-first attitude. Even though LT's get paid more, he'll willingly do whatever is best for the team. That's a winner.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 12:11 AM
Love to hear his me-first accountability and team-first attitude. Even though LT's get paid more, he'll willingly do whatever is best for the team. That's a winner.

All the players are me-first, team-second. Even Vince put team third: God, family, then football.

Bulaga is just being the Zen master, not agonizing over things he can't control.

vince
08-11-2011, 04:53 AM
“I’m OK with wherever they put me, I really am,” he said. “I’m comfortable out there, I’m happy playing out there. I love playing next to Josh (Sitton), he’s a great right guard to play next to. I’m comfortable out there. But anything they want me to do. I’m comfortable with that, and I’ll continue to play my best out there until they tell me to do something else.”

“(Bulaga) has clearly put the work in the offseason,” Campen said. “I mean, he’s stronger. He’s an athletic guy that cares, doesn’t have mental errors, doesn’t make the same mistake twice. That’s allowed him to flourish and play more fluidly, not think so much. He puts a tremendous amount of time into his physical makeup and his mental makeup.”

Regardless of any projections of human nature or what's really inside his head, Bulaga's display is in stark contrast to Nick Barnett's from a few years back when he publicly resisted talk of moving to OLB because he knew it would cost him tackles and money. Everyone has an ego. Some keep it in check better than others.

Patler
08-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Regardless of any projections of human nature or what's really inside his head, Bulaga's display is in stark contrast to Nick Barnett's from a few years back when he publicly resisted talk of moving to OLB because he knew it would cost him tackles and money. Everyone has an ego. Some keep it in check better than others.

...and sometimes their ability to keep their ego in check depends on how close they are to the end of their contract.

Brandon494
08-11-2011, 08:04 AM
It might be football for us but this is their job. I don't blame any player for trying to earn as much as they can.

Patler
08-11-2011, 09:38 AM
It might be football for us but this is their job. I don't blame any player for trying to earn as much as they can.

I agree, although for athletes and regular people it isn't always to earn as much as the can but as much as they feel they need in their situation. But whatever, their "loyalty" to their team is no different than a regular person's loyalty to their employer. It has different meanings to different people. Home town discounts exist for some, while others can't wait to leave. Some will stay for less, some will leave for less and some go wherever the pile of dollars is the largest.

Harlan Huckleby
08-11-2011, 09:51 AM
How much loyalty is there from teams towards individual players? Some, but not a ton.

When the players are on the field, that's when the team-first concept really counts. They have to accept their role and put winning first. But I understand players looking at the bigger picture. If they don't have a chance to start at their best position, they ought to be looking for other opportunities during the off season.

vince
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd like to hear more about Sitton. He's at an elite level in the game and you hardly hear anything about him. Wells too.

bobblehead
08-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Some guys egos are such that they keep it in check because projecting it isn't important to them....TT comes to mind. Bulaga is confident that he is going to make a ton of cash regardless of where he plays. He is equally confident that if he isn't satisfied with what GB pays him he can find a team that will pay him adequately to play LT. I am guessing that is what is going on inside that massive head of his.

pbmax
08-11-2011, 10:15 PM
What is the current pay discrepancy between LB (the non sacking, non 3-4 OLB variety) compared to Right Tackles? Sitton might have an edge there already.

Remember also that Barnett was being asked (at least on the occasion I remember) to move for a rookie (Hawk). Slightly different than being a 2nd year player who might stay on the right side because of the presence of a vet and a rookie.

woodbuck27
08-17-2011, 08:09 AM
Good Day PackerRats:

An interesting discussion.

In Pro sports now and generally there's no such thing as loyalty except in a rare case. ie Derek Jeter and the Yankees and that's especially the case and need in a Salary Cap structure.

Long gone are the Jean Beliveau's and the Montreal Canadian type partnerships. Bobby Orr didn't remain a Boston Bruin; the same with Phl Esposito moving fr. the Chicago Blackhawks to the Boston Bruins to another NHL team. Who wasn't shocked to see Wayne Gretsky moved fr. the Edmonton Oilers to the LA Kings? Vladimir Guerrero is nearing the end of is esteemed career and is appearing in obvious decline with the Baltimore Orioles.

I was thinking about Vladimir Guerrero last night. I asked myself what does he really need to become rejuvenated to regain his best potential and extend his career productively. I'm a selfish Pro Sports fan. I want my favourite players to excell over long careers and reach superlative levels that establish them as among the very best.

Back to Vladimir Guerrero and to the matter of this discussion:

Is money an issue with Vladimir Guerrero? He's made lots of money and he's far from being flamboyant most often living at his others home. He relaxes by playing video games. He doesn't party. His fame as a ball player and an ALL Time Great has already bee established. Few players have played the game that exceed his consistent offensive numbers. Vlady needs to be with a winning team or one that can compete and feel his contribution. Before that can happen a team must feel that if he's added; he has the potential that's worth the CAP dollars or a calculated risk worth taking. Personally (maybe) Guerrero needs to ask to be traded to a contender if that's a possibilty.

We see players demanding more money or the pay me or trade me attitude. Either youl pay me or some other team will. That attitude won't wash in Green Bay. Our GM is TED THOMPSON. A man's EGO doesn't sway Ted.

Back to the player and his EGO (slash) value needs. His needs to produce and contribute and benefit himself monetarily that he feels is sufficient.

The careers of NFL players is short. Younger players want to develop fast and focus on being a solid starter. Their ego plays a role in terms of sellng themselves in public. We see these egos and why are we surprized? These players have been winners all their lives. As a Pro, winning means $Bigger Money$. Being a member of the Super Bowl Champion means more salary potential. The there's the reality of 'the SALARY CAP'.

An eye on that salary potential demands patience. Patience means being restrained and EGO taking a back step to reality. Reality means being a solid team member and nowing your role. It means helping to maintain team morale and an overall positive contribution towords a team attitude that's commited to effort meeting positive results.

For the Green Bay Packers that means nothing short of being repeat Super Bowl Champions. No players demands for salary exceeds that goal or will ever interfere with it.

GO PACKERS!