PDA

View Full Version : S.O.V.'S Top Ten Takes On The Game

son of a vic
08-13-2006, 11:38 AM
S.O.V's Top Ten Observations Of The Opener

10. Kevin Harlen and his old man, have never put an ounce of conditioner on their hair folicals.

9. Ahmad Caroll would be the dumbest ass at a donkey convention.

8. (I struggle with this one) Jesse Garcia, yes or no? I lean towards yes.

7. M3 seems to have the "red flag toss timing", down after one game. Sherman never did figure it out.

6. It's easier being optimistic before they actually play against another team.

5. Reserve a room at Bellin Hospital for every Monday, starting in September, for ol' no. 4.

4. The games are still worth watching, if for nothing else, the comedic value.

3. Does anyone else find it ironic, that the referee (that was wiped out by Ahmad) last name is Dorkowski?

2. I really must like football, to stay up that long, to watch that little.

1. The youthfullness of this team will make it absolutely imperative they don't start out the regular season 0-2, 1-3, or worse. An early win or two, will give them a chance to compete. But a slow start, will erode the energy that young players bring to the table.

MadtownPacker
08-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Doubt you will get many disagreeing with this review.

But who is Jesse Garcia??

son of a vic
08-13-2006, 11:50 AM
She was the sideline reporter for the Packer Network, and also is the host for the pre-game show, and the Mike McCarthy Show.

And, I think someone will take issue to my "comedic value" reference.

woodbuck27
08-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Interesting comments and they have merit as well SOV. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE PRIDE !!

FavreChild
08-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Jessie Garcia:

http://www.journalbroadcastgroup.com/graphics/testimonial_photos/jesse_garcia_180x180.jpg

FavreChild
08-13-2006, 05:48 PM
What did M3 challenge? (I don't want to read thru the game thread to find out.)

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 06:00 PM
First he challenged a td call saying that the receiver didn't have his big feet in bounds (which he didn't), and then he challenged a fumble saying the ballcarrier's knee was down (which it clearly was, as a matter of fact it looked like he was on his back before the ball came out) and he won both of them.

Rastak
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
First he challenged a td call saying that the receiver didn't have his big feet in bounds (which he didn't), and then he challenged a fumble saying the ballcarrier's knee was down (which it clearly was, as a matter of fact it looked like he was on his back before the ball came out) and he won both of them.

Hey, props to M3.....he did the job correctly.

pbmax
08-13-2006, 09:15 PM
1. The youthfullness of this team will make it absolutely imperative they don't start out the regular season 0-2, 1-3, or worse. An early win or two, will give them a chance to compete. But a slow start, will erode the energy that young players bring to the table.
I am less worried about the young guys at 0-2 or 1-3 than I am about Favre and the old guard. The more veteran team last year showed signs of cave in last year after the Viking game, and I don't want to see them get close to that edge again.

I think our youth carries us through a losing streak, but its an open questions how many vets will have packed their brain pans.

pbmax
08-13-2006, 09:19 PM

If he handles game decisions well, then maybe Sherman should have hired him instead of Tobin.

We could hire Shermy back and perform a transportation experiment like in "The Fly". Merge Sherman's prep and organization with actual game planning, challenge authority and correct snap decisions in game of M3.

We could call him "Brendel Fly"

Or Mike McShermany.

falco
08-13-2006, 09:24 PM
MM's third challenge should have been overturned too.

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 09:29 PM
I know I'm walking into something here: what 3rd challenge?

falco
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
I know I'm walking into something here: what 3rd challenge?

The interception by Cromartie. I'm pretty sure it was challenged but not overturned. The packers video clearly showed him not having control of the ball, but they used the chargers video for the review.

The review actually occured during a commercial, if you were watching the state broadcast. They mentioned the results of it when they came back from break.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
The one on Rodgers interception. It was clearly bobbled (and his hand likely came down out of bounce before his knee hit anyways). A blurb on packers.com said that the refs were using the Chargers TV feed (which was different from the Packers TV feed), and that feed didn't have a conclusive angle on the play--while the Packers feed showed it should have been ruled incomplete.

From Packers.com:
"McCarthy challenged the interception as well and probably was right again. The Packers' television broadcast showed Cromartie did not have possession of the ball when he slid out of bounds. But the Chargers' TV broadcast, used by the officials, didn't have a conclusive angle to overturn the call."

MJZiggy
08-13-2006, 09:33 PM
I missed that one. If I hadn't deleted the game in disgust, I'd go back and check it out, but alas.

digitaldean
08-13-2006, 09:48 PM
The 3 missed calls on replay, the goofy unsportsmanlike penalty on Woodson and the asinine personal foul penalty that kept us from getting a safety on SD's hold in the endzone made it clear that the refs needed a braille chart.

To be fair, they missed at least TWO Ahmad Carroll "velcro-grab" penalties.

swede
08-13-2006, 09:49 PM
I believe that statistics show almost no relationship between preseason W - L records and regular season success.

Does anyone think, in the unfair clarity of hindsight, that it was a mistake for MM to pump up the importance of winning this meaningless game?

Normally you'd just say if the team can get learn and get better from this ass-whipping, then the game, though ugly, can be a stepping stone to helping the team improve.

I hope this is still the case despite MM's publically highlighting the need to win at San Diego in order to reestablish a culture of winning.

Whoops.

Joemailman
08-13-2006, 09:50 PM
I missed that one. If I hadn't deleted the game in disgust, I'd go back and check it out, but alas.

Temper, Temper! :lol:

falco
08-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I believe that statistics show almost no relationship between preseason W - L records and regular season success.

Actually swede I can remember seeing a graphic that showed the number the average number of wins in the regular season based on the number of preseason wins; there seemed to be a pretty strong correlation.

swede
08-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Well, not having any statistics handy, I'll concede the point.

I'm certain that better teams tend to have better pre-season records--but no one would realistically use pre-season records as a serious tool for predicting which teams are likely to end up in the playoffs.

I'd bet that it is not unknown for Super bowl teams to have lost two or even three games in preseason. Preseason games are for getting ready for the season. Whether you win or lose them is not very important once the regular season begins.

HarveyWallbangers
08-13-2006, 11:05 PM
2005 Preseason "Division Winners"

NY Jets = 3-1 in preseason (4-12 regular season)
Cleveland = 3-1 (6-10)
Jacksonville = 2-2 (12-4)
Denver = 4-0 (13-3)
Dallas = 3-1 (9-7)
Minnesota = 3-1 (9-7)
Atlanta = 4-1 (8-8)
Arizona = 3-1 (5-11)

2004 Preseason "Division Winners"

NY Jets = 3-1 (10-6)
Cleveland = 3-1 (4-12)
Tennessee = 3-1 (5-11)
Oakland = 3-1 (5-11)
Dallas = 3-1 (6-10)
Three teams at 2-2 in the NFC North
Carolina = 4-0 (7-9)
Seattle = 3-1 (9-7)

Seems to be little correlation.

falco
08-14-2006, 06:48 AM

Cleveland = 3-1 (6-10)
Denver = 4-0 (13-3)
Dallas = 3-1 (9-7)
Minnesota = 3-1 (9-7)
Atlanta = 4-1 (8-8)
Arizona = 3-1 (5-11)

NY Jets = 3-1 (10-6)
Cleveland = 3-1 (4-12)
Tennessee = 3-1 (5-11)
Oakland = 3-1 (5-11)
Dallas = 3-1 (6-10)
Carolina = 4-0 (7-9)
Seattle = 3-1 (9-7)

It certainly appears that way. I just remember seeing the graphic 2 or 3 years ago; it showed an obvious increase in games won based on the number of wins in the preseason.

That being sad, I agree that the preseason games need to be taken with a grain of salt.

FavreChild
08-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks, all, for the challenge summary.

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Jessie Garcia:

http://www.journalbroadcastgroup.com/graphics/testimonial_photos/jesse_garcia_180x180.jpg

She must've looked like that 10 years ago, but it's petty to judge a reporter on looks. I found her somewhat irritating. But I always have. She looks and talks more like a Den Mother than a quality football reporter. I vote "NO".

Just my opinion though.

tyler

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 11:34 AM

If he handles game decisions well, then maybe Sherman should have hired him instead of Tobin.

We could hire Shermy back and perform a transportation experiment like in "The Fly". Merge Sherman's prep and organization with actual game planning, challenge authority and correct snap decisions in game of M3.

We could call him "Brendel Fly"

Or Mike McShermany.

pbmax:

Exactly what we need to do today.

LAUGH !!! Alot!!! Thanks Man. :mrgreen: x 10.

woodbuck27
08-14-2006, 11:39 AM

Cleveland = 3-1 (6-10)
Denver = 4-0 (13-3)
Dallas = 3-1 (9-7)
Minnesota = 3-1 (9-7)
Atlanta = 4-1 (8-8)
Arizona = 3-1 (5-11)

NY Jets = 3-1 (10-6)
Cleveland = 3-1 (4-12)
Tennessee = 3-1 (5-11)
Oakland = 3-1 (5-11)
Dallas = 3-1 (6-10)
Carolina = 4-0 (7-9)
Seattle = 3-1 (9-7)

Yup ! Come see - come saw , Harvey. Thanks

Terry
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Jessie Garcia:

She must've looked like that 10 years ago, but it's petty to judge a reporter on looks. I found her somewhat irritating. But I always have. She looks and talks more like a Den Mother than a quality football reporter. I vote "NO".

Just my opinion though.

tyler

That smile reminds me of Geena Davis.

Fritz
08-14-2006, 01:44 PM
Jessie Garcia:

Just my opinion though.

tyler

What's wrong with den mothers?
That smile reminds me of Geena Davis.

jack's smirking revenge
08-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I guess if she looked more like...

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/TV2/archive/00125/geena_davis_125637a.jpg

And not like....

http://www.tmj4.com/_content/about/profiles/garcia.jpg

Then I could see your point. Her other pic looks ten years old and is more flattering.

I honestly have more reservations about her reporting style than I do about her looks, but since the conversation has taken that turn, I'll oblige.

tyler

Iron Mike
08-14-2006, 02:15 PM
http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/1205/121905thefly.jpg

Brundle fly: "She's pretty hot!!!"

Tarlam!
08-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Bringing the thread back, I'd have to say, this was Vic's first post on 3 forums that I actually have ANY respect for.

I never saw or heard the game, but I did read a lot about it. It seems as though Vic has had a swig of the Ol' Kool Aid, because his report seems accurate and not condescending spew under the banner of realism.

RESPECT S.O.V....

son of a vic
08-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Tarlam!----"Bringing the thread back, I'd have to say, this was Vic's first post on 3 forums that I actually have ANY respect for."

"I never saw or heard the game, but I did read a lot about it. It seems as though Vic has had a swig of the Ol' Kool Aid, because his report seems accurate and not condescending spew under the banner of realism."

RESPECT S.O.V...

i'm a little more under control this season, partly because Sherman is finally gone, and we can begin the painful rebuild. I'm willing to give Ted and M3 a few years to right the ship, but if after the honeymoon period, they are not progressing towards a championship, I will pull out the venom, and spew it all over the face of the idiots that can't think without a "green and gold" cloud above their head.

Where in my breakdown, did you detect a kool-aid stain? I've just decided that a sense of humor, will make this season more tolerable.
Now if I see anybody talking play-offs and Super Bowl, I will call them on it, and expect a formulated opinion to support their dream. You call that "spewing", I call it "reality."

Thanks for letting everyone know, that you respect me now, I'm sure many will sleep better, knowing I have received your blessing.

Rastak
08-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Tarlam!----"Bringing the thread back, I'd have to say, this was Vic's first post on 3 forums that I actually have ANY respect for."

"I never saw or heard the game, but I did read a lot about it. It seems as though Vic has had a swig of the Ol' Kool Aid, because his report seems accurate and not condescending spew under the banner of realism."

RESPECT S.O.V...

i'm a little more under control this season, partly because Sherman is finally gone, and we can begin the painful rebuild. I'm willing to give Ted and M3 a few years to right the ship, but if after the honeymoon period, they are not progressing towards a championship, I will pull out the venom, and spew it all over the face of the idiots that can't think without a "green and gold" cloud above their head.

Where in my breakdown, did you detect a kool-aid stain? I've just decided that a sense of humor, will make this season more tolerable.
Now if I see anybody talking play-offs and Super Bowl, I will call them on it, and expect a formulated opinion to support their dream. You call that "spewing", I call it "reality."

Thanks for letting everyone know, that you respect me now, I'm sure many will sleep better, knowing I have received your blessing.

I do miss the Krowd comments, although they don't apply quite as much here. I have to admit you cracked me up last year. You had a great battle going with the faithful.

GBRulz
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
SOV, I found an avatar that might be to your suiting....

http://theheretik.typepad.com/the_heretik/images/scott_mclellan_kool_aid_110705_2.jpg