PDA

View Full Version : the great Don Chandler has passed.

gbgary
08-11-2011, 08:03 PM
RIP sir.

http://blog.packers.com/category/vic-ketchman-blog/

sheepshead
08-11-2011, 09:06 PM
They are all getting to that age. Sad to see these great names die with so little fan fair.

TravisWilliams23
08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-VdMsxt7NW6Q/TkSBwytcmZI/AAAAAAAAGLM/XGkmqHm-DWc/s400/chandler-starr.jpg
RIP Don. From the era of kicker-punters with the straight on style kicking. 1967 season was probably his best. Made the All Pro team that year. I will always remember him for the '65 OT game vs the Colts.

pbmax
08-12-2011, 09:28 AM
RIP Don. From the era of kicker-punters with the straight on style kicking. 1967 season was probably his best. Made the All Pro team that year. I will always remember him for the '65 OT game vs the Colts.

Just read a blurb at PFT that said some Colt fans still maintain the 2nd kick was no good. Stories like that are priceless.

EDIT: Not sure which kick was disputed, actually. Please read as "Colts fans still maintain that kick was no good".

smuggler
08-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Souldn't really have mattered, since the Packers beat the Colts twice that season, including spanking them 42-17 two weeks before that playoff game. They shouldn't even have held that playoff game. (... Yeah, he missed that first kick to tie the game.)

TravisWilliams23
08-12-2011, 01:48 PM
The heat-to-head tie breaker didn't come into play until the 1967 season when the league went to 4 divisions. It was used the very first year as Baltimore and Los Angeles finished with 11-1-2 records. The Rams won because they won and tied vs the Colts. So the 1965 game had to be played because of the rules in place then. As for Chandler's game tying field goal with less than 2 minutes in regulation, Chandler's reaction after the kick says he thought he missed it but at that time the goal posts were shorter than they are today and if you're a ref looking straight up at that ball during that game I can see how you might think the ball was over the post. It sure looked like it was wide right from the camera angles though.